• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGG Studio (Yakuza) says they are surprised more studios don't reuse assets to release games faster

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Efficiency and not wasting money are a bad thing now? And doing it efficiently is “getting away with it”? Wow.

Reactions: Isa

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm sure a lot of publishers would but it seems largely unique to them because of the carefree nature of the Yakuza world where anything goes and it's neverending saga.

I think a middleground is best (FromSoft, Atlus games, FF7 Rebirth to name some):

-reuse roughly the same tech but just update it
-evolve some of the systems created in a previous game
-carry over old assets/models and improve them
-retain the development team/structure between entries
-don't make games that are pristine where every detail is AAAA and using lots of pointless RT for the sake of it
-outsource the grunt work but keep a lot of it in-house for QC especially artistic decisions

DEXkumL.png

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I'm sure a lot of publishers would but it seems largely unique to them because of the carefree nature of the Yakuza world where anything goes and it's neverending saga.

I think a middleground is best (FromSoft, Atlus games, FF7 Rebirth to name some):

-reuse roughly the same tech but just update it
-evolve some of the systems created in a previous game
-carry over old assets/models and improve them
-retain the development team/structure between entries
-don't make games that are pristine where every detail is AAAA and using lots of pointless RT for the sake of it
-outsource the grunt work but keep a lot of it in-house for QC especially artistic decisions

DEXkumL.png
also with Remake, lot of staff is come from KH3 which is most of them already used to UE4. this cut a lot of learning time for the engine. also since the engine was widely used, it also something was already familliar with outside developers.

..In this respect, we determined that developing on a public engine, with expertise built up both internally and externally, was better suited for us when considering the organizational structure for developing REMAKE.

Further, staff members with experience developing KINGDOM HEARTS III came on board for the development of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, and we were able to circulate the expertise they had already built up with Unreal Engine very well among us internally. This definitely helped propel us forward as we progressed with development. - Hamauguchi

compared to Crystal Tools fiasco with FF13 and XIV 1.0, they definitely learn alot(in hard way) and applied it with FFVII remake development especially since lot of people from FF13 trilogy are involved with it.

there is whole different level of the scale and content they achieved with Rebirth in less than 4 years compared to 5 years of FF13 for example.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
It's ok for me if it's not too obvious. Using the exact same animations or city it not ok for me if it's supposed to be a new game. If it's something smaller like Miles Morales, that's fine.

Fabieter

Japanese reusing assets: it's fine yaaas
Western reusing assets: THIS GAME SUCKSS

the double standards around the world and on gaf are idiotic to say the least when it comes to this kind of shit. I love Yakuza/RGG games but I have never excused them for reusing so much of their shit. I hope this is not the future RGG is heading towards because Im out if so.

It's still quality content in like a dragon most of the time. Stories, mini games, side quest are always unique and interesting. Some western games suck with the stuff listed while still reusing everything.

Thief1987

Efficiency and not wasting money are a bad thing now? And doing it efficiently is “getting away with it”? Wow.
Reusing 90% of content from game to game is "efficiency" now? Wow. I thought it's called shameless milking, but I'm not an expert in japanese culture.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Spot on really. Only dopes complained that the NY in Spider-Man 2 was "reused", as if they were going to rebuilt New York again from scratch for no reason. Meanwhile Yakuza's been using the same Kamurocho assets for... how long?

And then people are surprised when Insomniac can bang out AAA stuff at the rate they do?

Thief1987

Spot on really. Only dopes complained that the NY in Spider-Man 2 was "reused", as if they were going to rebuilt New York again from scratch for no reason. Meanwhile Yakuza's been using the same Kamurocho assets for... how long?

And then people are surprised when Insomniac can bang out AAA stuff at the rate they do?
Well difference is that even reusing the city spiderman still cost like 5 Yakuza games. And took two times more time to develop. If you need 5-6 years and 100s of millions to develop a game which is reused a huge part of content from the previous game then it's a big problem.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well difference is that even reusing the city spiderman still cost like 5 Yakuza games. And took two times more time to develop. If you need 5-6 years and 100s of millions to develop a game which is reused a huge part of content from the previous game then it's a big problem.

This is where the race to have Hollywood level graphics and animation gets us. Yakuza's always looked and felt like a PS2 game but made in the modern era (and that's a big part of its charm). Spider-Man 2 sure is extremely flashy but it's not as memorable as my time with Y0.

Comandr

Some extremely polarizing opinions in here.

The Yakuza games mainly take place in a continuous timeline. In fact I don’t know of two games that take place at the same time.

I love coming back to Kamurocho or Sotenbori. I really enjoy seeing how the places have changed over time, see new stuff, run into familiar faces. It really makes the world of Yakuza feel grounded. Like this is an actual world I'm visiting.

Furthermore, considering for most of the games, the story follows one guy through his life, why wouldn’t he be mostly in one place? Kiryu’s had his life uprooted several times and ended up in different cities in plausible ways. I think it’s handled very well.

This is one of the most exciting parts of the games for me. Hell, I’d even love to go back to Onimichi sometime and see the boys.

I think a lot of the silly reused animations are charming. “Haah?!” If you know, you know.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
And I wonder the same, then you see manchildren "catch" a single car model in social media the was used for another game and the other ones start calling out devs for triggering an apocalypse.

Imo devs should just reuse as much as possible and eat the complaints, then make these things gets used to assets reuse, since it makes more economical sense.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Japanese reusing assets: it's fine yaaas
Western reusing assets: THIS GAME SUCKSS

the double standards around the world and on gaf are idiotic to say the least when it comes to this kind of shit. I love Yakuza/RGG games but I have never excused them for reusing so much of their shit. I hope this is not the future RGG is heading towards because Im out if so.
Well, I have no double standard and can tell you I would really like both to reuse as much as they can't, not that movie productions create every single item they use from zero, they just go shopping

YCoCg

Reading is hard. As ive said i didnt excuse them for reusing so much shit but if it gets worse then yeah no thanks.
Define "worse" in this case, entire maps, minigames, etc, are lifted from previous games and slightly altered to adjust for the time difference (usually to mark how a place has changed in a year). Games that are set during the same period are pretty much unchanged, this new Pirate game for example seems to have the same Hawaii map as Infinite Money as it's set along side that games events.

Reactions: Isa

Fbh

I'm generally a big supporter of the idea of recycling assets and animations in favor of a faster and cheaper development.
That said, even as a fan, I think the Yakuza franchise has always been too extreme with their recycling and I was pretty close to becoming burned out on it until the much needed change with Yakuza 7. Like one of the reasons I waited several years before playing Judgment was because I was really underwhelmed when I found out it was yet another game set in Kamurocho and it was basically the same gameplay as Yakuza but with a few detective gimmicks (and awful tailing missions).

Yukuza reusing city: "wow you so smart"
Kratos boards boat the same way: "this is DLC bro"
Exactly. Ragnarok reuses some animations and gets railed while other games reuse entire maps and are praised for being efficient.

Wild double standards.

Neither Gaf nor the gaming audience in general is a hivemind.
The people praising devs like Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and FROM for their recycling of assets probably aren't the same as the ones whining about Kratos having the same boat boarding animation.

Three

Neither Gaf nor the gaming audience in general is a hivemind.
The people praising devs like Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and FROM for their recycling of assets probably aren't the same as the ones whining about Kratos having the same boat boarding animation.
No, of course not but you would think that you would hear about complaints for Yukuza even if it's different people. Haven't really heard anything online though.

Isa

you play 1 yakuza game, you play it all.
I agree but disagree lol. On one hand the overall premise is the same, but 1-7 are quite different to me, with 7&8 being wonderfully new in a direction I really love. Not to say the action stuff is bad though.

For me I love the more connected feel the world has in Like a Dragon. Things change over time, meeting familiar and new faces, fun minigames and stories that can both touch and bring to tears or big laughter. The writing is usually great, with very good cutscenes and action which is very satisfying. And I get it, having some assets set already with maybe a few tweaks here and there to factor in time and story changes means more effort can be put into other assets such as story, acting, cutscenes and direction. Also the minigames, some of which are huge side stories in themselves, which arguably could be used in standalone spinoffs.

tommib

Gold Member
All in with this. It’s also the From Software model. Elden Ring is using animations that go back to Demon’s Souls. So fucking what.

I remember the trolling cry babies when Ragnarok was released and how the “lazy devs” were reusing boat animations.

The Yakuza games have absolutely fantastic narratives in a world that is reused with minor upgrades. If it helps with pumping them out quicker, keep doing it. Give us more Yakuza.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Rockstar used to do this every two years, now we just get absolutely shit on.

There’s zero reason we couldn’t get a GTA 7/8 every two years in a different US city that connect to the same online multiverse.

Why bother when can sell pink shirts instead but

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Absolutely agree. It's the stories and the writing in the Yakuza world's that make them so fun. I don't mind them reusing assets at all.

Kamurocho is just as much of a central character as Kiryu or Majima. It's always nice to revisit with new iterations to see the familiar things improved over time and to see how they've expanded it. Thematically it makes sense since you're generally playing as someone whose a well established character in that region.

Last edited:

Soltype

Is it a good thing ? I feel totally burnt out and I don't even play these games lol.
It's good and bad, if you play them in rapid succession you're going to get burnt out but if you play them every couple years it's not too bad. I just hope they can flesh out the cities at this point, they laid the groundwork, just make them more dense and I'll be happy.

YCoCg

It's good and bad, if you play them in rapid succession you're going to get burnt out but if you play them every couple years it's not too bad. I just hope they can flesh out the cities at this point, they laid the groundwork, just make them more dense and I'll be happy.
That's certainly something they've done, including with the Judgement games, this isn't like GTA where majority of the buildings are just outside boxes, I've seen Sotenbori go from more of a dive district to a flashy district, apartment blocks come and go, interiors for various buildings, rooftop access, etc. If we include 0 then we've seen an entire part of the city go from a slum district to a skyscraper, we've seen a park land area once overrun with the homeless gangs flattened, turned into a construction site and eventually completed into a high rise flashy commercial block.

It's smart to reuse, even with the Spider-Man games, how much has New York changed in two years? It makes sense to reuse the majority of it and touch up any areas you want to improve and then alter things for story purpose.

Lorianus

I like how falcom does it, they create or update their tech for a new story arc, they then create assets for the place that arc takes place in, and then reuse them for 2-3 games like the 3 sky games / 2 crossbell games / 5 games in erebonia.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The studios need to learn how to reuse the assets right like this series.

Rehashing mindlessly like God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West is where things go wrong.

Soltype

That's certainly something they've done, including with the Judgement games, this isn't like GTA where majority of the buildings are just outside boxes, I've seen Sotenbori go from more of a dive district to a flashy district, apartment blocks come and go, interiors for various buildings, rooftop access, etc. If we include 0 then we've seen an entire part of the city go from a slum district to a skyscraper, we've seen a park land area once overrun with the homeless gangs flattened, turned into a construction site and eventually completed into a high rise flashy commercial block.

It's smart to reuse, even with the Spider-Man games, how much has New York changed in two years? It makes sense to reuse the majority of it and touch up any areas you want to improve and then alter things for story purpose.
Yeah they definitely been adding over the years, I recently played through the series again and sometimes you forget how much they've added over the years. I honestly don't mind them reusing the same cities if it means I get to go into every building someday.

Reusing assets is totally fine as long as they use the saved time and money to work on new stuff. I mean look at Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, they could reuse a lot of stuff, but used the time to create tons of new content.

Top Bottom