• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGG Studio (Yakuza) says they are surprised more studios don't reuse assets to release games faster

StereoVsn

Spot on really. Only dopes complained that the NY in Spider-Man 2 was "reused", as if they were going to rebuilt New York again from scratch for no reason. Meanwhile Yakuza's been using the same Kamurocho assets for... how long?

And then people are surprised when Insomniac can bang out AAA stuff at the rate they do?
Considering the cost of Spider-Man 2 and the fact that a lot of assets were reused, I have no idea what the hell Insomniac is doing.

That game was what, $250 mil or something? RGG games are pretty cheap overall hence there is no need for them to sell millions upon millions of copies.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Is this really a good thing? The biggest problem for me with the series is that I'm always in the same environments.

Stu_Hart

They need to work on the animations. It feels very dated, especially the running animation of the main character. I like the hawaii setting of infinite wealth, but when I go back to japan, it feels very copy and paste, especially yokohama.

I'm surprised you don't see this more across studios at the big multi studio publishers, and not just on sequels. It seems like there would be value in a shared database of assets that could be modified as needed for different projects.

LordCBH

To me it's not even about Devs reusing assets as I don't even care about that.

It's either a game is shit or not shit.

Yakuza games to me are just extremely fun and I love playing them.

100% how I feel.

If it used a ton of the old assets, but it’s fun and keeps you engaged (like Yakuza, and SM MM for example) then I’m cool with it. And in a world where it feels like every game is taking 5+ years to make, I won’t argue against getting a new Yakuza title every year lmao.

Gambit2483

The rules don't apply to Sega.
SEGA uses preexisting assets to create entirely new characters, locations, stories, and new gameplay mechanics. It's not the same as when western developers use it in the laziest of ways (mostly Sports games).

Last edited:

John Bilbo

The Yakuza series uses the passage of time as its asset. The way recurring characters and locations are depicted create some great bittersweet moments.

rkofan87

Gold Member
You mean the games that took 4-6 years to develop and were given massive budgets and expectations to live up to?

Also, who the fuck was criticizing these games for reusing assets? outside of TOTK, they didn't get that much flak, and in the case of TOTK, they reused the entire fucking BOTW map.

Your average Yakuza project takes like 2 years at most to create with all the asset reuse. Hence why nobody gives a fuck when Yakuza does it.
lag has charm up the ass loz not so much.

I'll pass on the Yakuza puppy mills of gaming philosophy. Some asset reuse? Absolutely, just not reselling me damn near the same product with a minor facelift.

Da1337Vinci

I don't mind the reuse because Yakuza games biggest changes were always gameplay and story.

Now if persona games doesn't change it setting's though I would kinda be bother about it. Or at least expand Tokyo further somehow.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Is this really a good thing? The biggest problem for me with the series is that I'm always in the same environments.

It's a balance. It let's the keep costs down as well as have an aggressive release schedule but they do run the risk of fatiguing end users. I think they try to combat that fatigue with spins offs (Samurai, Pirates, Judgment, Turn Based) to varying degrees of success.

Z O N E

100% how I feel.

If it used a ton of the old assets, but it’s fun and keeps you engaged (like Yakuza, and SM MM for example) then I’m cool with it. And in a world where it feels like every game is taking 5+ years to make, I won’t argue against getting a new Yakuza title every year lmao.

EXACTLY. 😂

You'll have this big new game come out after 5/6 years and then it's like... ehh, that's alright.

Yakuza out here using the same assets and I'm just like in my zone, sometimes even half a day wasted playing it. Lool

Top Bottom