• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

MiamiWesker said:
This is true. Avatar will be remembered and I would disagree with anyone that says other wise. It will be a sci-fi classic, it will be a move other generations see. But I think it will be just viewed as one of those fun movie experience films like a Jurassic Park. I don't expect a legacy anywhere near the level of a Star Wars.
Dunno... I think you'd have to explain which film you were talking about in just a few years time. Relatively fun but forgetable experience. Glad it didn't win, but need to see its usurper!

sonicmj1

ryutaro's mama said:
He also said it will be a "stand alone" sequel so that, in 4 years if MIMIC is still trying to convince himself to go see AHBUHDAR, he won't need to to enjoy the sequel!!!

I guess it would have to be, if humans are returning. Given relativity, by the time they get back to Pandora, everyone from the original movie would be dead. There's your Aliens parallels at work.

If that's the case, I just hope it isn't a rehash of the story from the first movie, because that really didn't do much for me.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Waking up finding out neither A Prophet or The White Ribbon won foreign is aggravating.

Imma be checking out the winner tho' - and it best be fucking awesome to steal the dvd sales boost from those two great movies. ;_;

sonicmj1 said:
I guess it would have to be, if humans are returning. Given relativity, by the time they get back to Pandora, everyone from the original movie would be dead. There's your Aliens parallels at work.

If that's the case, I just hope it isn't a rehash of the story from the first movie, because that really didn't do much for me.

No, the main characters ( Jake & Neytiri ) are confirmed by Cameron to be the central characters of the sequel.

Dresden

Staccat0 said:
her acceptance speech struck me as typical "proud black woman" bullshit though.
They cut to Smauel L. Jackson after she won and I said to my wife, "Sammy Jay seems unimpressed."
On cue, he made a goofy face and stuck his tongue out.
I really can't get over her legs.

So now that Jake is no longer an Avatar, would the sequel need to be called Avatar. The Avatar thing worked for this movie but it was clearly a way to get Jake into that society, now that he is one of them the Avatar aspect isn't really needed. Maybe the sequel will have Avatar spies or something.

Tobor

sonicmj1 said:

If relativity is an issue, how did Jake get out there in time to use his Avatar, and work with people who knew his brother? He was frozen, but on Pandora, they were not.

GhaleonEB

sonicmj1 said:

He's also mentioned it won't be called "Avatar 2", since that title wouldn't make sense. I like the idea of free-standing sequels, personally. I didn't want to see Avatar shoehorned into some first episode of a trilogy.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dresden said:
Wasn't it like a ten-year voyage in Avatar? Not sure, I thought they addressed this in the beginning of the movie.
over 5 years.

GhaleonEB said:
He's also mentioned it won't be called "Avatar 2", since that title wouldn't make sense. I like the idea of free-standing sequels, personally. I didn't want to see Avatar shoehorned into some first episode of a trilogy.

Well this answered my question.

So say in the end its a trilogy, each with different names, what do you think he trilogy would be called. Would it be Avatar simply cause that is how we got introducted to it. Would it be something like The Pandora Trilogy.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MiamiWesker said:

So say in the end its a trilogy, each with different names, what do you think he trilogy would be called. Would it be Avatar simply cause that is how we got introducted to it. Would it be something like The Pandora Trilogy.
Nailed it! Or the Navi Trilogy

Dead

well not really...yet
MiamiWesker said:

Alpha Centauri trilogy :D

Tobor said:
If relativity is an issue, how did Jake get out there in time to use his Avatar, and work with people who knew his brother? He was frozen, but on Pandora, they were not.

His brother never made it off Earth to Pandora.

The negotiations with the Na'vi had been going on for almost 20 years--18 to be exact.

It took him 6 years in hyperspace to get out there and the conflict happened around 6 months after that.

So no, it wasn't just in time.

Tobor

AniHawk said:
It would be great if the sequel to Avatar was simply called The Empire Strikes Back.
And Quaritch didn't die, but is kept alive by a robotic suit. And he's Jake's father.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Just now on Actor's Studio

Lipton: Why does she have breasts!?
Cameron: The movie was made for HUMAN people

...god this show is:lol

Timbuktu said:
Can't this Avatar sequel talk go in the Avatar thread?
The thread seems to get upset when the spotlight gets taken away from Avatar

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Tobor said:
And Quaritch didn't die, but is kept alive by a robotic suit. And he's Jake's father.
Naw, its about a trade embargo. Or something.

Or some previously unmentioned enemy tribe of ewoks

Tobor said:
And Quaritch didn't die, but is kept alive by a robotic suit.

This. Seriously, not even joking, this. Out of all the characters he was easily my favorite. What a fantastic villain, now that there is sequel talk it sucks that he died. Find a cheesy way to bring him back. :p

Tobor

MiamiWesker said:
This. Seriously, not even joking, this. Out of all the characters he was easily my favorite. What a fantastic villain, now that there is sequel talk it sucks that he died. Find a cheesy way to bring him back. :p
Seriously? :lol

The silliest thing I could think of and you want it?

Mael

Yeah for the oscars!
It pissed off Luc Besson that his 'beloved' Avatar didn't win it all.
For that alone the choices has been well made.
sorry Cameron :-/

TheGreatDave said:
Obviously, it's impossible to say for sure we won't be building statues of blue aliens in 30 years. But what I mean is I didn't see anything in the movie that stood out to me as being potentially iconic. The closest you've got is the general design of the N'avi. Character-wise, musically, art design, I just don't see anything that could compete with even the original Star Wars in pop culture. If GAF is still up in 30 years, maybe I'll owe you a Coke.

My opinion probably isn't valid, given that I'm someone who actually likes Star Wars quite a bit (though I won't even begin to try to elucidate the reasons), but I have to agree with you here.

Of course, why look 30 years ahead? I think one could effectively argue that, despite a smaller box office gross (inflation adjustment notwithstanding), Star Wars had already exerted a bigger cultural impact than Avatar has at the same point in its life cycle.

I mean, and I'm being at least half serious here, has Avatar spurred a feverish pursuit of toys and merchandise, to such an extent that people are paying for goods they won't actually receive for weeks or months? Did anyone turn the theme music into a cheesy disco song that actually cracked the top 20 charts? Are plot pieces already part of the cultural lexicon (May the Force be with you; Jedi mind tricks, etc.)?

If Avatar doesn't have the cultural impact right now that A New Hope had in the year following its release, what makes anyone think it will measure up in 30 years?

Tobor said:
Seriously? :lol

The silliest thing I could think of and you want it?

Honestly I would take anything. He is one of the characters that I would sacrifice all logic just to have him back. Say he got absorbed by the planet and got transferred into some Navi, now he is an evil Navi dude. Done. Make it happen Cameron. :lol

AniHawk

Quartich's consciousness is absorbed into the planet and then he takes over the planet and uses the planet to blow up other planets.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MiamiWesker said:
Honestly I would take anything. He is one of the characters that I would sacrifice all logic just to have him back. Say he got absorbed by the planet and got transferred into some Navi, now he is an evil Navi dude. Done. Make it happen Cameron. :lol
naw dog, they cloned him.
They have to fight an ARMY of him! :O

MiamiWesker said:

That's some Matrix sequel shit right there.

Tobor

Wait, wait, I got it:

The humans retrieve Quaritchs coffee cup, which has some DNA on it, and start a new Avatar program. Using a stored computer image of his brain, they build a Na'vi Quaritch to lead a new army of Navi/human/mech hybrid soldiers.

Mael

AniHawk said:
Quartich's consciousness is absorbed into the planet and then he takes over the planet and uses the planet to blow up other planets.

You know it's something overdone when you can't even pinpoint the last you saw that scenario.....

It's good to see Hurt Locker get so many awards. It really is a fantastic film. As much as I like Avatar, I was worried it's success would overshadow the fact it's not actually the best film from the last year.

Waltz winning for Inglorious Basterds made me happiest though, I think. What an absolutely stunning character and performance.

BowieZ

Banned
BowieZ said:
2lctyzl.png

This'll do for now... mmm....
1i1qoh.png

fap fap

Foliorum Viridum said:
Waltz winning for Inglorious Basterds made me happiest though, I think. What an absolutely stunning character and performance.

Every once and a while you leave a movie theater knowing you just saw an Oscar winning performance. That was Waltz in Basterds. Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom