• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

TheGreatDave said:
Accepting the fact you like Avatar, I don't understand what aspect of it is comprable to Star Wars' legacy. I'm not a Star Wars fan at all, but the iconic scenes and characters from the original trilogy just blow away anything in Avatar. There is no character, no scene and no storytelling in Avatar that comes close to the timelessness of Star Wars.
I'm not sure what this even means. Star Wars is 30 years old, so if by timeless you mean it stands the test of time, shouldn't we, um, see how Avatar holds up over the next few years at least? As a very, very big fan of the original trilogy, you're overstating its strengths a great deal. Personally, the flying scenes in Avatar are just as - if not more - transporting as anything in Star Wars. I suspect it will hold up, but by definition can't judge something like "legacy" out the gates.

Dresden

ryutaro's mama said:
There's that "humor" again. Titanic is near and dear to a generation's heart for none of those reasons.

Leo anyone?

Most of Cameron's movies have longevity ( the only 2 that don't are The Abyss and maybe True Lies)

This notion that no one will care is bananas, especially when you consider that a sequel is coming.
True Lies is a classic, good sir.

TheGreatDave speaks the truth on Avatar. You would be wise to listen to him.

If I just turned that movie on at home, like selected it from onDemand or something... it would've been off after 20 minutes.

And I'm not a huge Quentin fan, but I did like the writing in Inglorious B's. The pub scene, for instance, was an incredible display of
how to build up tension before all hell breaks loose.

AniHawk

The only time I've looked back at a nominee losing to another and scratched my head was Fellowship of the Ring losing to A Beautiful Mind. I kinda need to see Chariots of Fire, since I want to know why it beat out Raiders.

Banned
Jibril said:
Star Wars and Avatar as a series are different to the first Star Wars vs Avatar. Avatar 2, will most likely be in the veins of Empire Strikes Back.
as singular movies, i would give Star Wars: A new Hope a better developed cast and mythology than Avatar

There's that "humor" again. Titanic is near and dear to a generation's heart for none of those reasons.

Leo anyone?

Most of Cameron's movies have longevity ( the only 2 that don't are The Abyss and maybe True Lies)

This notion that no one will care is bananas, especially when you consider that a sequel is coming.
Titanic is remembered, but I wouldn't say it's near and dear to a generation heart for being a good movie. Titanic, from what i see is never remembered for having been a great movie. it's remembered for being so incredibly popular and for making leo and Kate's career.

sonicmj1

Dead said:
I dont see that happening at all.

Avatar will get sequels that will not only keep the film in the public eye for probably the next decade, they will add to the film and to its universe, making the first film a necessary stepping stone into an actual fully fledged franchise.

And if there is one person who knows how to do sequels, its James Cameron :)

The idea of an Avatar sequel means nothing to me because I can't visualize any follow-up to that movie being handled in a way I could possibly care about. Everything is pretty much resolved in the first movie, and any attempt to bring humans back into it would probably make the movie even more one-sided than it already was.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious (I didn't like Avatar a ton anyways), since other people anticipate a sequel because they actually want one, but I really can't imagine Avatar as an expansive franchise.

District 9 doesn't seem like a "franchise" sort of movie, but I can imagine a compelling follow-up to that much more easily than I can imagine an Avatar 2.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
GhaleonEB said:
I'm not sure what this even means. Star Wars is 30 years old, so if by timeless you mean it stands the test of time, shouldn't we, um, see how it holds up over the next few years at least? As a very, very big fan of the original trilogy, you're overstating its strengths a great deal. Personally, the flying scenes in Avatar are just as - if not more - transporting as anything in Star Wars. I suspect it will hold up, but by definition can't judge something like "legacy" out the gates.
word. I didn't like Avatar, but I'm not here to guess what people will like in the future. I CAN however say that I didn't personally care about the characters in the movie.

P.S. I'm watching Cameron on Actor's Studio right now:D

BowieZ

Banned
AniHawk said:
The only time I've looked back at nominees and scratched my head was Fellowship of the Ring. I kinda need to see Chariots of Fire, since I want to know why it beat out Raiders.
I wonder the same thing about Original Score that year.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
The only time I've looked back at a nominee losing to another and scratched my head was Fellowship of the Ring losing to A Beautiful Mind. I kinda need to see Chariots of Fire, since I want to know why it beat out Raiders.
Do see Chariots. Good lord it's brilliant. Not sure I could pick one between that and Raiders though, they're so different.
VALIS said:
She may be a mediocre actress but she's always seemed a good person with a great sense of humor and never takes herself too seriously. Hard not to like her.
I always knew the chick from Speed would go on to great things.

Dresden

sonicmj1 said:
The idea of an Avatar sequel means nothing to me because I can't visualize any follow-up to that movie being handled in a way I could possibly care about. Everything is pretty much resolved in the first movie, and any attempt to bring humans back into it would probably make the movie even more one-sided than it already was.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious (I didn't like Avatar a ton anyways), since other people anticipate a sequel because they actually want one, but I really can't imagine Avatar as an expansive franchise.

District 9 doesn't seem like a "franchise" sort of movie, but I can imagine a compelling follow-up to that much more easily than I can imagine an Avatar 2.
Ma'Jake wasn't the only one with the dream of Pandora, I think. There you go.

doktorpeace said:
TheGreatDave speaks the truth on Avatar. You would be wise to listen to him.

If I just turned that movie on at home, like selected it from onDemand or something... it would've been off after 20 minutes.

So opinions are now "truth"?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
AniHawk said:
Crash is a big one. I felt like Brokeback SMOKED that bitch, but hollywood was under fire for being "out of touch with america" at the time and bitched out.
Also, Rocky beat Taxi Driver.

Tobor

AniHawk said:
I think there's a much better case to be made the following year. Ghandi is a great movie, but so is ET.

Originally Posted by ryutaro's mama: said:
If you truly think AHBUHDAR will be a "forgotten" pop culture fade like the Macarena in 10-15 years, you are smoking.

But I know you aren't that stupid--you're just trying to be funny.

And failing.

TheGreatDave said:
I certainly don't think it'll be remembered as a great film. It's legacy will be 1) Ooh, 3D and 2) Mad cash. Nobody is going to care about much else, just like Titanic is never remembered as anything but successful and a great showcase for Winslet's tits.

To reiterate "theGreatDave's" point even further, which two movies you're most likely to give a respectful nod to after hearing their title: "Aliens" and "Terminator 2" or 'True Lies" and '"Titanic"?

My guess is, Avatar will most likely fit better in the latter two as a Jim Cameron legacy ten-fifteen years from now than the former two.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm not sure what this even means. Star Wars is 30 years old, so if by timeless you mean it stands the test of time, shouldn't we, um, see how it holds up over the next few years at least? As a very, very big fan of the original trilogy, you're overstating its strengths a great deal. Personally, the flying scenes in Avatar are just as - if not more - transporting as anything in Star Wars. I suspect it will hold up, but by definition can't judge something like "legacy" out the gates.
Obviously, it's impossible to say for sure we won't be building statues of blue aliens in 30 years. But what I mean is I didn't see anything in the movie that stood out to me as being potentially iconic. The closest you've got is the general design of the N'avi. Character-wise, musically, art design, I just don't see anything that could compete with even the original Star Wars in pop culture. If GAF is still up in 30 years, maybe I'll owe you a Coke.

Dead

well not really...yet
sonicmj1 said:

Alien and Terminator were both very well contained movies. Cameron still made fucking amazing sequels to the both of them.

Theres only one person in the world I would trust to make a sequel better than the original, and thats Cameron.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
julls said:
yeah, she's really likeable.
Yeah AND an Austinite. Represent!

I'll also add: I'm the only person on earth who thinks Aliens turned the tense, bleak and masterful horror of Alien into a cheesy action flick, but I'm right and america is wrong. I loved it as a kid, but rewatching that shit left me embarrased. Aliens in rubber suits jumping towards the camera in slow motion as crates explode in the background... too bad man. Too bad.
Again, I know ya'll think I'm wrong. But I aint!:D

Dresden

EricHasNoPull said:
To reiterate "theGreatDave's" point even further, which two movies you're most likely to give a respectful nod to after hearing their title: "Aliens" and "Terminator 2" or 'True Lies" and '"Titanic"?

My guess is, Avatar will most likely fit better in the latter two as a Jim Cameron legacy ten-fifteen years from now than the former two.
Notice the '2' after Terminator.

Avatar is going to have a sequel, and it will be better than Avatar 1.

Dead

well not really...yet
EricHasNoPull said:

well thats just like, your opinion dude.

Its not like there is a dividing line in Camerons career.

True Lies came out a few years after T2. Titanic, a few years after True Lies. I think Avatar is far better than both of them, and handily stands next to JCs other films, aside from The Abyss maybe, which is his most accomplished film.

This is why Avatar didn't deserve best picture:

4330682138_f8e6fcf7ec.jpg

Tobor

Staccat0 said:
Crash is a big one. I felt like Brokeback SMOKED that bitch, but hollywood was under fire for being "out of touch with america" at the time and bitched out.
Also, Rocky beat Taxi Driver.
Eh, I'd still give that one to Rocky.

EricHasNoPull said:

Since neither of us have a time machine, time will tell.

Oh and here's some food for thought: You named T2 and Aliens ( both sequels). Cameron does sequels very well and AHBUHDAR is getting a sequel.

sonicmj1

Dresden said:
Ma'Jake wasn't the only one with the dream of Pandora, I think. There you go.

So where's the conflict, now that humans have basically left the planet?

Dead said:
Alien and Terminator were both very well contained movies. Cameron still made fucking amazing sequels to the both of them.

Theres only one person in the world I would trust to make a sequel better than the original, and thats Cameron.

I'd say Terminator had room to grow (I mean, there's a whole resistance we don't know about at the end of the first one), but Aliens is a pretty bold leap away from the original.

As I said, I guess it's possible, but I don't know how it would work.

I haven't been following Avatar news super-closely, but is the idea of an Avatar 2 something that has the suits at Fox excited, or is it something that Cameron actually wants to create?

Dresden

Tobor said:
Eh, I'd still give that one to Rocky.
Taxi Driver was the better film, but Rocky had better manboobs.

sonicmj1 said:
Unobtainium is supposed to be the most valuable mineral around. They'll be back, with fire and brimstone. No more nice guy shit, just bomb the nekos to hell and back with nukes.

Dead

well not really...yet
sonicmj1 said:

I'd say Terminator had room to grow (I mean, there's a whole resistance we don't know about at the end of the first one), but Aliens is a pretty bold leap away from the original.

As I said, I guess it's possible, but I don't know how it would work.

I haven't been following Avatar news super-closely, but is the idea of an Avatar 2 something that has the suits at Fox excited, or is it something that Cameron actually wants to create?
Cameron has said he has plans for Avatar 2 and 3 since well before the movie was released. He's also said there are scenes in the first movie that have specific lead ins to a sequel. Not to mention he has some things that didn't make it from the original scriptment that he said would most likely be featured in the sequels.

Its not something they started talking about once the movie became a hit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Dead said:
Cameron has said he has plans for Avatar 2 and 3 since well before the movie was released. He's also said there are scenes in the first movie that have specific lead ins to a sequel. Not to mention he has some things that didn't make it from the original scriptment that he said would most likely be featured in the sequels.

interesting!

wizword

Banned
People are saying it won't have a legacy. I disagree completely. It is the best selling movie of all time. Getting that achievemetn at least confirms that your movie will have a legacy post mortem. It will be a franchise. And people will see the next two movies. The fact is Harry Potter movies, LOTR movies, spiderman movies, the batman movies, and even transformers movies will be seen 20 years from now similar to how jurassic park, back to the future, indiana jones, ghostbuster, and home alone was in the late 70s-early 90s. The fact is those movies were the movies of our generation, similar to how the movies above were the movies of our parents.

Danielsan

sonicmj1 said:
Didn't Cameron pretty much say that he didn't think the humans would just leave it like that. They would return to stir more shit.

Anyways, I'm happy The Hurtlocker won.
Avatar was a fantastic spectacle and a great movie going experience but I thought The Hurtlocker was the better movie.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Staccat0 said:
Yeah AND an Austinite. Represent!

I'll also add: I'm the only person on earth who thinks Aliens turned the tense, bleak and masterful horror of Alien into a cheesy action flick, but I'm right and america is wrong. I loved it as a kid, but rewatching that shit left me embarrased. Aliens in rubber suits jumping towards the camera in slow motion as crates explode in the background... too bad man. Too bad.
Again, I know ya'll think I'm wrong. But I aint!:D
they're very different films, but i don't know how anyone could call aliens 'cheesy'.

and i dont think that ever happened! (slo mo aliens) :p

but that's for another thread ;)
BowieZ said:
Still cannot find a SINGLE picture of that male stage usher, by the way :lol

I'm trying. (It'll be my new avatar if I can find it.)
maybe ill look up some videos on youtube :lol

edit you found it! haha... "see that guy... kinda out of focus and obscured in the background...'

ill search for more !

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
ryutaro's mama said:

Leo anyone?

True Lies is probably my second favorite of his.

sonicmj1

Dead said:

Okay. I'm still not completely convinced, but at least they have something in mind. That gives me a little more hope.

Combine

Banned
Danielsan said:
Didn't Cameron pretty much say that he didn't think the humans would just leave it like that. They would return to stir more shit.
Yep, he all but confirmed them as continuing antagonists in the next film at least. Besides, they're gonna need their tech to be able to explore the other moons of Polythemus that both Cameron and Landeau have confirmed as doing.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
julls said:
they're very different films, but i don't know how anyone could call aliens 'cheesy'.

and i dont think that ever happened! (slo mo aliens) :p

but that's for another thread ;)

maybe ill look up some videos on youtube :lol
I don't want to derail because I know I'll just get thrashed, but it suprised the shit out of me. That said, I don't have a nostalgic bone in my body. I tend to tear things I liked as a kid apart.

"game over man!"

GhaleonEB

TheGreatDave said:
Obviously, it's impossible to say for sure we won't be building statues of blue aliens in 30 years. But what I mean is I didn't see anything in the movie that stood out to me as being potentially iconic. The closest you've got is the general design of the N'avi. Character-wise, musically, art design, I just don't see anything that could compete with even the original Star Wars in pop culture. If GAF is still up in 30 years, maybe I'll owe you a Coke.
Fair enough, we simply disagree. Look forward to that Coke. :p

Anihawk said:
Also, Gladiator beat anything. Doesn't even matter what.

sonicmj1

Dresden said:
Unobtainium is supposed to be the most valuable mineral around. They'll be back, with fire and brimstone. No more nice guy shit, just bomb the nekos to hell and back with nukes.

That doesn't surprise me, but if that's how it goes, I'm not sure how you make a relatable story about, "Humans attempt to destroy beautiful, enlightened aliens, are beaten back by awesome alien hero." At least the first one had Jake's story to give it some human grounding.

Betting against Cameron is always dangerous, so he probably has something in mind. It doesn't seem to be a simple puzzle to me, though.

wizword said:
People are saying it won't have a legacy. I disagree completely. It is the best selling movie of all time. Getting that achievemetn at least confirms that your movie will have a legacy post mortem. It will be a franchise. And people will see the next two movies. The fact is Harry Potter movies, LOTR movies, spiderman movies, the batman movies, and even transformers movies will be seen 20 years from now similar to how jurassic park, back to the future, indiana jones, ghostbuster, and home alone was in the late 70s-early 90s. The fact is those movies were the movies of our generation, similar to how the movies above were the movies of our parents.

This is true. Avatar will be remembered and I would disagree with anyone that says other wise. It will be a sci-fi classic, it will be a move other generations see. But I think it will be just viewed as one of those fun movie experience films like a Jurassic Park. I don't expect a legacy anywhere near the level of a Star Wars.

sonicmj1 said:
Okay. I'm still not completely convinced, but at least they have something in mind. That gives me a little more hope.

He also said it will be a "stand alone" sequel so that, in 4 years if MIMIC is still trying to convince himself to go see AHBUHDAR, he won't need to to enjoy the sequel!!!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Staccat0 said:
I don't want to derail because I know I'll just get thrashed, but it suprised the shit out of me. That said, I don't have a nostalgic bone in my body. I tend to tear things I liked as a kid apart.

"game over man!"
i do that a lot, but every time i watch that movie i'm on the edge of my seat. ebert's review sums up my feelings about it pretty well. it's completely draining and exhausting. in a good way.

anyway... oscars! woo!

AniHawk said:
Russel Crowe is a viral lifeform that renders certain sectors of the population bubbling idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom