• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
BowieZ said:
1i1qoh.png

fap fap
I'd eat her ass while watching Point Break.

Cameron's favorite curse word:
"mongolian cluster fuck"

weak :/

BowieZ

Banned
julls said:
:lol

this whole time and you've been searching for more images.
:lol :lol

I just spent the whole weekend busting my brain writing and producing this stupid Mario tune... I need time to unwind with pointless manhunting and fapping.

I expected Hurt Locker to sweep, but man if that isn't some bullshit that it won screenplay and the sound awards. That is some major bullshit. Bigelow didn't deserve to be nominated let alone win best director, but such is the politics of the thing. Really feeling it for Tarantino, the man just can. not. catch. a. fucking. break.

Was glad to see Giacchino pick up his award. Steve Martin was good, Alec Baldwin was terribad.

Dead

well not really...yet
professor_t said:
My opinion probably isn't valid, given that I'm someone who actually likes Star Wars quite a bit (though I won't even begin to try to elucidate the reasons), but I have to agree with you here.

Of course, why look 30 years ahead? I think one could effectively argue that, despite a smaller box office gross (inflation adjustment notwithstanding), Star Wars had already exerted a bigger cultural impact than Avatar has at the same point in its life cycle.

I mean, and I'm being at least half serious here, has Avatar spurred a feverish pursuit of toys and merchandise, to such an extent that people are paying for goods they won't actually receive for weeks or months? Did anyone turn the theme music into a cheesy disco song that actually cracked the top 20 charts? Are plot pieces already part of the cultural lexicon (May the Force be with you; Jedi mind tricks, etc.)?

If Avatar doesn't have the cultural impact right now that A New Hope had in the year following its release, what makes anyone think it will measure up in 30 years?
The cultural landscape isnt really the same though.

Even with toys. I mean, I remember Lucas making a special midnight release for Phantom Menace toys before teh movie came out, and all those toys ended up shelf warming. And that type of gimmick hit song just doesnt happen in america anymore (maybe in europe)

As far as lexicon invading the language, Ive certainly seen it happen with Avatar far more than I have with other movies of recent years. Though certainly not on the level of Star Wars.

It may not reach the same cultural fervor, but I have no doubt it will get closer to it, than most other movies of the past decade, especially when future films are made.

Mael

MiamiWesker said:
Every once and a while you leave a movie theater knowing you just saw an Oscar winning performance. That was Waltz in Basterds. Brilliant.

The best part is that whatever language you're watching it's still a fucking great performance

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Scullibundo said:
I expected Hurt Locker to sweep, but man if that isn't some bullshit that it won screenplay and the sound awards. The is some major bullshit.
agreed
Dresden said:
It looks like the boy is boning her in that pic.

lucky sunavbitch.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
MiamiWesker said:
The Avatar program is now about transferring humans into a Quartich avatar where you become instantly badass.
and Quaritches are actually terminators.

featuring Linda Hamilton as Eywa!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Scullibundo said:
I expected Hurt Locker to sweep, but man if that isn't some bullshit that it won screenplay and the sound awards. That is some major bullshit. Bigelow didn't deserve to be nominated let alone win best director, but such is the politics of the thing. Really feeling it for Tarantino, the man just can. not. catch. a. fucking. break.

Was glad to see Giacchino pick up his award. Steve Martin was good, Alec Baldwin was terribad.
I thought the sound was pretty good. Did people think it was bad or something? Nothing stood out to me on the sound front this year. I thought Avatar's sound certsinly didn't match its ambitious visuals.
Did everyone here read the screenplays or something?
Screenplay, as I said was obvious. Most of the people voting aren't writers unless I'm mistaken

Veidt

Staccat0 said:
I thought the sound was pretty good.
Screenplay, as I said was obvious. Most of the people voting aren't writers unless I'm mistaken

I always figured it'd be better to let directors vote for best director, writers for best writer, etc.

Timbuktu

Scullibundo said:
Was glad to see Giacchino pick up his award.

So deserved, should have been nominated for Star Trek too. The worst category in my eyes was the Art Direction though, I would have prefer to see Where the Wild Things Are, Fantastic Mr Fox, Coroline, Moon and D9 in that category.

Meadows

Banned
Up in the Air deserved at least one oscar. At least Avatar didn't win though :lol Don't hate the film or anything, just wanna see the avatards squirm.

Staccat0 said:
I thought the sound was pretty good. Did people think it was bad or something? Nothing stood out to me on the sound front this year. I thought Avatar's sound certsinly didn't match its ambitious visuals.

The sound mixing was good. But AVATAR's sound blew it out of the water and that isn't bias talking.

Dresden

Meadows said:
Up in the Air deserved at least one oscar. At least Avatar didn't win though :lol Don't hate the film or anything, just wanna see the avatards squirm.
The funny thing is that 'avatards' are pretty cool about it, it's everyone else that wants to twist the knife and are pissed at the lack of reaction.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Jibril said:
I always figured it'd be better to let directors vote for best director, writers for best writer, etc.
I agree. I don't think thats what they do though. Most directors, acotrs and such look down on dialogue heavy writing. Its seen as lazy from what I see.
I recently wrote a short film and made it my goal to allow any info that can be explained naturally with acting and or visual cues unspoken.
The actors/director seem really pleased.

Not very fun to write though :/
Scullibundo said:
The sound mixing was good. But AVATAR's sound blew it out of the water and that isn't bias talking.
How can anyone even make an assertion like this?
I've DONE a little sound design and I can't make this assertion. They don't exist in the same space. Again, I don't see a clear winner here.

Staccat0 said:
I agree. I don't think thats what they do though. Most directors, acotrs and such look down on dialogue heavy writing. Its seen as lazy from what I see.
I recently wrote a short film and made it my goal to allow any info that can be explained naturally with acting and or visual cues unspoken.
The actors/director seem really pleased.

Not very fun to write though :/

At the end of the Oscars telecast a message came up that said every member of the academy is allowed to vote for best picture. For all other categories votes are taken from members that belong to that category.

GCX

Glad to see Giacchino winning. He's been the best blockbuster composer in Hollywood for a few years now.

Aselith

Jibril said:
2lctyzl.png

why do women look manlier when they get older :(

You talking about Kathryn Bigelow? She's super hot. You are off your rocker if you think she looks manly. She's tall but she definitely looks all woman.

Veidt

Aselith said:
You talking about Kathryn Bigelow? She's super hot. You are off your rocker if you think she looks manly. She's tall but she definitely looks all woman.
Yes she is. But she hotter a few years ago. I actually meant for women in general by the way. :'(

BowieZ

Banned
GCX said:
Glad to see Giacchino winning. He's been the best blockbuster composer in Hollywood for a few years now.
True, but that's only because Williams has only done one film score since 2005 ;-)

Though that film score is in my opinion even more masterful than Up, Star Trek or Lost. You can hear where Giacchino gets Jacob's Theme ;-)

julls said:
not really. too preened!

gimme shaved head with some stuble any day :p
Fair enough.

316ksqr.png

fap fap fap...

WARNING: I Am about to sound very arrogant and smarmy with my following sentences, but I think I have to say what I have to say...So excuse my bluntness.

For those of you who are still holding your limp dicks in your hand and crying about why Avatar didn't win Best Picture at the Oscars tonight, I have few things to say to you. please watch more movies, and by movies I mean dramas, they don't have to be "movies" per se, just watch film that's based more on intimate human emotions, something that focuses more on human psychology, behavior and character development.
Unfortunately there isn't many great dramas in the theater these days that explore the human drama, but the good news is there's more quality work on the smaller screen than there is on the silver screen these days. Watch the entire series of Sopranos, Battlestar Gallactica, Band of Bros. The Wire and Mad Men if you haven't already.

Those series' along with SOME good movies, are probably the best Human drama that has been available in form of film entertainment in the past decade as far a I am concerned.
Again to save myself from sounding more of a douche that likes to hear himself talk, these are all just my opinion, but I also realize people spend 8-10 bucks of their money and two hour of their time to watch something that will merely entertain them without giving them much to talk about afterward. In other words, escapism. Not every movie audience watches movies for exact same purpose.

Now Avatar is not the best example of a film that's made for the most casual film goer, because it is not a bad movie, it's not a disposable movie, in fact it's a damn good movie, and sure has a lot to say about us as human species living and consuming on this planet, it's got some social commentaries; but any of the deep meaning and emotions it's trying to convey is lost in it's priority, which is to be the best visual roller coaster ride of a movie at the theater.

So in conclusion I am happy to see that Hollywood and the Academy sees the medium of motion picture more than just an entertaining medium, it is of course a lot more than that, and I respect them for making a good decision by awarding the Oscar to a dramatically more superior movie.

ends smarmy rant here.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MiamiWesker said:
At the end of the Oscars telecast a message came up that said every member of the academy is allowed to vote for best picture. For all other categories votes are taken from members that belong to that category.
Ah, I see.
Interesting. I assumed wrong!
I'd imagine they must subscribe to the same ideas.
I think the writing in IB was really good (in the past I've felt some of his stuff was over written and too many characters had the same voice, but not here) but if asked to vote, I don't think there would be a clear winner.
Everything was good, and there was probably a lot of non-dialogue stuff we don't consider. I tend to associate good writing with good dialogue (I'm no writer by trade) but maybe that not how real screenwriters think. I dunno.
I tend to assume there is always a reason beyond conspiracy bullshit.

Veidt

I don't think avatar fans actually care that much for the best picture award being given to THL.

I think the more vigorous debate has been over IB vs THL.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Scullibundo said:

Why do you write Avatar in all caps? Are you like those people that write Valve as VALVe?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
EricHasNoPull said:
smarmy rant.
You says what we think. Tooo bad you are a few pages too late.
Jedeye Sniv said:
Why do you write Avatar in all caps? Are you like those people that write Valve as VALVe?
I do it too. Not sure why. Thats just how I see it written.

shosha

Neo Member
I don't understand why the hurt locker won... Compared to all the other movies in the category, it wasn't even in my top 5. Maybe i just have to watch it again.

Directing should have gone to Tarantino....

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
shosha said:
I don't understand why the hurt locker won... Compared to all the other movies in the category, it wasn't even in my top 5. Maybe i just have to watch it again.

Directing should have gone to Tarantino....
Eli fucking Roth...

BowieZ

Banned
GCX said:
Ratatouille is Giacchino's best work so far though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1f56CbI7hE&feature=related

Such a perfect score.
It's excellent, indeed (I guess I was knowingly a bit simplistic with my comparison), however, it's probably fair to say that the KOTCS and Ratatouille scores are almost impossible to compare, whereas the others I listed are a bit more similar in their symphonic styles.

Jibril said:

hoyl fucking shit
:lol :lol :lol :lol
?? Content is blocked in Australia. What is it?

Veidt

BowieZ said:
It's excellent, indeed (I guess I was knowingly a bit simplistic with my comparison), however, it's probably fair to say that the KOTCS and Ratatouille scores are almost impossible to compare, whereas the others I listed are a bit more similar in their symphonic styles.

?? Content is blocked in Australia. What is it?
Christoph waltz doing the THIS:
2i7xoat.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom