• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
If somebody gave me free candy when i went to see The Hangover, it would've been a better theater experience than Avatar.

The Hangover is already a better theater experience because it was a hilarious comedy. Not saying it's a better movie than Avatar (not that I wouldn't say that) but I love seeing a great comedy in the theater. There's little better movie experience to me than when a crowd is laughing the whole way through. ... Well I mean, if they're supposed to laugh. Laughing during Precious would be different.

harSon

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
Ah yes, post-Oscar bitch fest. I hate these. Up won its shit, that's all that matter to me. PEACE

You said you were leaving 10 minutes after the Academy Awards started :lol

Hex

Banned
All of the people acting like Avatar was some great timeless epic really need to come down a bit from the tree.
It was a pretty package, spectacular even but it was completely hollow and none of the characters (in my opinion) were memorable at all.
It was an effects tour de force, and it was recognized as such.

AstroMan

Banned
Dresden said:
You're no AstroLad.

Correct.

I'm not always posting in jest to get a rise out of people (only in that one Sony thread). I'm telling the truth in this thread, truth you people just don't want to accept. If only Green Shinobi was here so you guys could rally behind him and run damage control that would make companies like Toyota envious. "Worse than Crash?" "Mediocre-to-good films always sweep the Oscars?" Oh please. Did you people make bets on the Oscars that you could never honor?

WrikaWrek

Banned
omg rite said:
The Hangover is already a better theater experience because it was a hilarious comedy. Not saying it's a better movie than Avatar (not that I wouldn't say that) but I love seeing a great comedy in the theater. There's little better movie experience to me than when a crowd is laughing the whole way through. ... Well I mean, if they're supposed to laugh. Laughing during Precious would be different.

It's true.

McNei1y

The Hurt Locker was a better theater experience for me than Avatar. I didn't see Avatar in 3D though.

Watching the Hurt Locker, I was pretty nervous and tense at some points during a couple scenes.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
tekumseh said:
The problem with IB, in my estimation, was that the opening sequence at the farm house was so perfectly written and executed that the rest of the film seemed to pale by comparison.

That farm house scene was about the most perfect 10-14 minutes of movie making alchemy I've ever seen, and the rest of the film, while quite entertaining, did not sustain the table that was set...

Probably true, although this feeling is gone the second and third times around. I think IB holds up on multiple viewings better than any other film this year, except for maybe A Serious Man.

Alucard

Banned
'Nite, GAF. I can't believe I stayed up and actually watched this BORING Oscars show. Soooo dry and bland. Uuuuuuuuugh.

noisome07

Banned
harSon said:
You said you were leaving 10 minutes after the Academy Awards started :lol

Uh, i'm pretty sure he said he was leaving during the show because of our 'liveblog'. never said he wasn't gonna come back.

teiresias

Big Baybee said:
I disagree, the general public loves Avatar.

The general public elected W. Bush to a second term, I tend to ignore the opinion of the moronic mass when judging the quality of something.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Spire said:
Those of you thinking Avatar is going to be the next Star Wars aren't going to be disappointed, because you won't even remember you made this argument in a years time. Avatar is fun to look at, but there is nothing underneath. Once the buzz of the visual experience wears off you'll barely remember it.
we'll barely remember avatar?

it's. the. highest. grossing. film. of. all. time.

Dead

well not really...yet
border said:
Yeah, the cornball eco-loving message and strained Iraq war references are gonna play really well in 10 years.
Yeah, especially since they were written 15 years ago and they still dont hold up!

oh wait.

Monocle

teiresias said:
The general public elected W. Bush to a second term, I tend to ignore the opinion of the moronic mass when judging the quality of something.
You equate the general public with US voters? Huh.

harSon

Banned
noisome07 said:
Uh, i'm pretty sure he said he was leaving during the show because of our 'liveblog'. never said he wasn't gonna come back.

If I'm not mistaken, he was live blogging alongside us.

CassSept

richiek said:
It was the only award it deserved. I don't see any problem. (shrugs)
Yeah, no. I don't know about technical details but nobody will ever convince me that THL's screenplay was better than IB.

Koodo

Banned
Why are people saying Avatar got destroyed? Back in early December, many were projecting the movie would bomb and be critically torn apart. It ended up grossing +2.5b dollars, receiving universal praise and a Best Picture nomination. Is this a desperate attempt to regurgitate that plate of crow some of you ate?

Two things about tonight's ceremony:

1. Bigelow winning was amazing and historic. Go away patriarchy.

2. Jason Reitman will probably cry himself to sleep tonight. Delicious.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think The Hurt Locker getting best screenplay over Inglourious Basterds goes right up there with the worst of them. Alongside Al Pacino getting snubbed for The Godfather Part II and the like.

rexor0717

woxel1 said:
:lol
The most appropriate gif.

Amir0x said:
Well he's kind of a douche.

But I don't hate him. I love a few of his movies quite a bit.

I just really don't think this specific movie deserved anything other than the technical awards, since it's so deficient in every other way. In this fashion, I think the Academy did exactly what was necessary for the film... recognize it for what it did accomplish, ignore it for what it didn't.

Avatar's hamfisted proselytizing and one dimensional characters and message coupled with the terrrrible script were simply too amateur to warrant a best picture win.

Wait until someone utilizes this technology to make something good.

I don't know, I think he deserved best director over Bigelow, no one could have directed Avatar as well as he did, while others might have directed THL better than Bigelow, if that makes any sense.

Loxley

shintoki said:
Scorsese got fucked over for some 20+ years.

I'll never forget the year John Stewart hosted the show, after Three-6 Mafia had won for a song they did for Hustle & Flow, Stewart proclaimed:

"Welcome back, and for those of you keeping score at home; Martin Scorsese, zero Oscars. Three-6 Mafia, one."

WrikaWrek

Banned
McNei1y said:
The Hurt Locker was a better theater experience for me than Avatar. I didn't see Avatar in 3D though.

Watching the Hurt Locker, I was pretty nervous and tense at some points during a couple scenes.

When the dude revealed the 4 bombs underneath the sand....everybody in the theater started sweating.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
DeathNote said:
we'll barely remember avatar?

it's. the. highest. grossing. film. of. all. time.

And the PotC sequels and various Harry Potter films round out the top 10. Look at all the buzz still surrounding those films.

wizword

Banned
TheLegendary said:
Hurt Locker now takes Crash's spot for worst film to win Best Film.

Man...what a bad show. Avatar was the biggest experience in film in years and the Academy didnt celebrate it at all.
It was an awesome year for films. They could easily have given it to district 9 and most people whining would be the people who think sci-fi and comic book adaptions 'can't be oscar worthy contenders' because they are meant for a different audience. The fact is though that hurt locker oscar hype was similar to a david versus goliath. You are rooting for the underdog regardless of the perceived quality. The reason why I despise this hatred for success which is evident both in music, entertainment, and business. When something becomes successful it isn't cool to like it anymore.

Tobor

Dead said:
Yeah, especially since they were written 15 years ago and they still dont hold up!

oh wait.

More than 20. Dances with Wolves was released in '90, so it would have been written long before that.

I find it hilarious how passionate some people here are over the Oscar winners... I just watch this shit cause its funny/entertaining. The actual winners are all political anyway

Aesthet1c

I think Avatar was totally robbed. I'm also pissed that they didn't give best screenplay to Tarantino.

At least Christoph Waltz and Sandra Bullock won though..

Raistlin

Tobor said:
He's falling back on his ridiculous "Actor's don't vote for CGI" nonsense. We might as well wait for him to figure out what delusional argument he wants to focus on before responding.

Well, I haven't seen all the other movies to really say either way.

While I do think his point has some merit (the original point regarding voting), I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a better movie than Avatar last year.

teiresias said:
Yeah, because as we all know, the people working on Hurt Locker didn't care about their movie at all.

Avatar isn't timeless. It's a great spectacle, but hardly the epitome of actual good storytelling, it certainly doesn't have the timeless qualities of the original Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark, or even LOTR.

The use of Cameron trademarked and patented "Space Marines" should have been enough to keep it from even getting nominated, the characterization of the militia in Avatar is absolutely laughable and cornball.

Have you even watched Raiders or Star Wars recently? Shit isn't deep. You don't have to have panning vistas and deep stares into space to make broad artistic points. Avatar is a better movie because it was more fun to watch. If someone asked me which movie I'd recommend, I'd say Avatar in a heartbeat.

Its all snobbery. Actors think that they are the shit and get their feelings hurt when CG does what they do but better.

KHarvey16 said:
List them.

In every facet. Every single way you can imagine. Whatever category. Avatar is better, unequivocally.

AFreak

Banned
So, I'm in CHina as most of you know, so someone answer these questions for me please.

1) Did Sandra Bullock talk at all about her Razzie win during her acception speech?

2) What exactly did Tom hanks do that was so awesome?

3) Did Clooney get anything because of Fantastic Mr. Fox or Up in the Air?

4)More of a statement, but THE HURT LOCKER IS FUCKING AWESOME.

Hater's gonna hate...

Monocle

Spire said:
And the PotC sequels and various Harry Potter films round out the top 10. Look at all the buzz still surrounding those films.
It doesn't really make sense to talk about how well remembered those films are when both series have sequels coming out within a couple years.

Dresden

AstroMan said:
Correct.

I'm not always posting in jest to get a rise out of people (only in that one Sony thread). I'm telling the truth in this thread, truth you people just don't want to accept. If only Green Shinobi was here so you guys could rally behind him and run damage control that would make companies like Toyota envious. "Worse than Crash?" "Mediocre-to-good films always sweep the Oscars?" Oh please. Did you people make bets on the Oscars that you could never honor?
Who's 'you people'?

wizword

Banned
Koodo said:
Why are people saying Avatar got destroyed? Back in early December, many were projecting the movie would bomb and be critically torn apart. It ended up grossing +2.5b dollars, receiving universal praise and a Best Picture nomination. Is this a desperate attempt to regurgitate that plate of crow some of you ate?

Two things about tonight's ceremony:

1. Bigelow winning was amazing and historic. Go away patriarchy.

2. Jason Reitman will probably cry himself to sleep tonight. Delicious.
Was this the first time a women won best director. Sad to see that they gave it to a bad movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom