• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Even Button was quite surprised with that lap. But more and more rubber is getting laid on track, it is warmer every day, so track will be faster. Track is very abrasive, fine tarmac is almost gone on some places and soft tires last maybe 3 laps max. But Barcelona will give us clearer view - teams will also work on set-up and aero and we will see first race sims. Ferrari used some new aero parts today and they worked on aero set up, so fastest time is not suprising. Every team is following his own testing agenda.

2nd practice down under will tell us everything.

Vettel is satisfied with his car, he says that it is step forward.

Can't wait for his annual drinking tour :D

James Allen ‏@Jamesallenonf1
#f1 There were some rumours around this morning that McLaren had bought Cosworth.

Goddamn, the McLaren-Honda dream is over

Shaneus

Vettel top, Webber bottom there? (I'm guessing from the sparkle)
You could also probably guess from the Australian flag :p

#f1 There were some rumours around this morning that McLaren had bought Cosworth.

Really? I didn't think Cosworth had much to do with F1 for a REALLY long time. Unless they're planning on re-entering the race in 2014...

Ill wait till confirmation before giving up on the dream. Though buying Cosworth is a smart move long term for McLaren if they want to be more like Ferrari in commercial terms.

Adamm

Really? I didn't think Cosworth had much to do with F1 for a REALLY long time. Unless they're planning on re-entering the race in 2014...

Apart from 2007-2009 haven't they pretty much supplied engines every season?

Although on Marussia are using them this year

Does that mean Marussia will be using McLaren engines? :D

You could also probably guess from the Australian flag :p

Cosworth is the second most successful engine supplier in F1, right after Ferrari. 2007-2009 were the only years they DIDN'T provide engines for a team.

Certinty

Hopefully the Ferrari is good this year. The better the car the more likely Felipe will match Fernando, and hopefully beat him too.

Shaneus

Shows how much I know about F1 :/ Probably because they haven't supplied a team that hasn't finished well (recently), then? I'm probably completely wrong on that point, too.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I can't remember if Cosworth had built a 1.6 V6 Turbo engine for testing.
Who is building McLaren's road car engines. (Had a look, its Ricardo)

And here is speculation on the deal from last October:
http://thejudge13.com/2012/10/22/mclaren-mercedes-divorce-and-cosworth-need-a-new-partner/

Also, McLaren have a partnership with Marussia at the moment who are using Cosworth engines. This should give them some idea of the potential of their 2014 engine.

Cosworth has a lot of experience making turbo engines for both F1 and CART. Depending on what's left of the company, I'm sure they could only help.

Alonso did a test run as well.

6aXuCUw.jpg

"1:18h running - 15,4km. We continue tomorrow."

Lol, wtf. He looks like a granddad in those colours.

Xun

Hilarious.

Don't worry, Ferrari already got it. Vettel can pack it up.

Alonso did a test run as well.

6aXuCUw.jpg

"1:18h running - 15,4km. We continue tomorrow."
He certainly does look like an old man here.

His pose certainly isn't helping.

Williams in 2011.

Well it was a miserable year for them, but that's the latest season. Did better in 2010.

From Reddit. Play it loud.
That's just insanely epic, thanks for the link!

I really need to see a race sometime soon.

Adamm

"Ubiquitous monkey seat!" - Ted Kravitz

When does the F1RM (or other league) start?

I've been enjoying teds notebook during testing, he's been quite good at covering the technical changes. Is been much better than most other sky stuff.

And F1RM will start when the real f1 season starts

It didn't last long, stopped on second lap :lol

"willbuxton: Ah, sneaky work from McLaren. Allow Pedro to move to Ferrari. 3 days of good running for Massa. 2 laps for Pedro and he's blown it up."

Sounds like the car is done. Maybe they can get it back up in few hours, but the morning seems to be over for them.
"Our first red flag of the day. We're not sure who it is, but the car does not look good. Very, very smoky from the rear. #F1"

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
If that is true.....Hamilton made the right choice of going to Mercedes at that time !
Its not just that. If you read the comments from Brawn and Wolff recently, the 2014 V6 engine is being built and packaged in the way that suits Mercedes F1 team.
This could compromise the secondary supplied teams and they would have to build their car around this engine and ancillaries.

Seems like Ferrari fixed the car. Pedro is back out again. Maybe he'll do some running like Rosberg yesterday, to make up for the lost time this morning.

And we had a red flag, caused by a pothole.

6MGuvbN.jpg

"The current red flag phase, caused by a pothole on a concrete run-off strip between Turns 9 and 10, continues amid track repairs"

Jerez should be replaced next year.

Nicktendo86

What a surprise :/

I take what he says with a pinch of salt, apparently a lot of cars are very understeery including McLaren but we don't know fuel loads, how much the track is effecting things, etc. Part of me thinks this sounds a bit ominous but the other part thinks calm down, this is very early.

In terms of engines, I heard that about Merc making the engine a good package for them but I would have thought they do that now with their current engine? We all know McLaren want to make their own engines and I think the Cosworth rumour is a part of them getting ready for that but I see them buying Merc's power units for a couple of seasons more at least.

I take what he says with a pinch of salt, apparently a lot of cars are very understeery including McLaren but we don't know fuel loads, how much the track is effecting things, etc. Part of me thinks this sounds a bit ominous but the other part thinks calm down, this is very early.

While Gary's obviously not always 100% spot-on, we shouldn't forget that he designed Formula 1 cars until 2003 and while he wasn't a Newey or Rory Byrne, I'd say analyzing cars from other teams was also part of his job, just like Newey or Fry observe the competition during testing.

To me this has more weight than the opinion of someone like Ted Kravitz.

f0rk

Keep in mind he is also impressed by Button's time from day 1 and thinks Vettel's best should be higher due to the track improving.

A few people have mentioned it, yeah.

Unrelated, Red Bull don't seem to be doing so many laps today. I wonder if they've pretty much finished their program.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sauber(with Gutierrez at the wheel) doing a race sim.

Mercedes(with Lewis Hamilton driving) doing a race sim.

Sauber noticeably quicker.

Another ton of laps for Merdeces.

Anyone find it a little strange that Red Bull have basically had nothing go wrong in four days of pretty high lap counts?

Top Bottom