• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Mastah

I take what he says with a pinch of salt, apparently a lot of cars are very understeery including McLaren but we don't know fuel loads, how much the track is effecting things, etc. Part of me thinks this sounds a bit ominous but the other part thinks calm down, this is very early.

Yeah, Anderson is known for saying stupid things here and there (2012 McLaren is doomed, low nose is wrong concept - bam, 1-2 on the grid and 1-3 on the podium in Australia), but this 10% advantage in downforce for Red Bull is possible, as they were 15kph faster than the rest in corners in India, according to Pirelli's Paul Hembery. And that is what worries me, that they kept advantage they had over rivals since Singapore weekend :/

Mercedes posted a picture of Lewis Hamilton on track.

siwHvfq.jpg

Great picture, shame about the ugly car.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Sauber(with Gutierrez at the wheel) doing a race sim.

Mercedes(with Lewis Hamilton driving) doing a race sim.

Sauber noticeably quicker.

No wonder - Mercedes was filling lost 2nd day today, so they merged remaining program from 2nd day and 4th day

Lewis seems quite pleased with car and they managed good damage control.

RB9 looks like made of stone - if they maintain their speed and up reliability they will be team to beat. And they will probably show their cards on P1 in Australia...

Seanspeed

Banned
No wonder - Mercedes was filling lost 2nd day today, so they merged remaining program from 2nd day and 4th day

Lewis seems quite pleased with car and they managed good damage control.
Not sure how pleased I'd be with those laptimes, but we'll see.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Not sure how pleased I'd be with those laptimes, but we'll see.

Maybe he is pleased how car behaved in his first 'real' test (15 laps from Wednesday are hardly real test).

But we will see in Barcelona where Mercedes really is - I think that they will be behind RBR, Mclaren, Lotus and Ferrari.

kharma45

Maybe he is pleased how car behaved in his first 'real' test (15 laps from Wednesday are hardly real test).

But we will see in Barcelona where Mercedes really is - I think that they will be behind RBR, Mclaren, Lotus and Ferrari.

Possibly Sauber too, got a good feeling on them.

Shaneus

Okay, so this is how interviews are conducted now?
M23t1xQ.jpg

(probably have been for a while... it just looks weird)

Also, really love this photo:
X829T5E.jpg

And this one, but for different reasons:
48rafgc.png

jey_16

Banned
I think it's going to be RBR the quickest (and it seems reliable as well) with McLaren, Lotus and Ferrari hopefully not too far behind. Still not sure about Mercedes but I actually wouldn't mind seeing Hamilton doing well now that he isn't driving for McLaren

dubc35

And F1RM will start when the real f1 season starts

I assumed so but I didn't know if there was a back-off, like 2 weeks prior, 2 days prior, etc.

Okay, so this is how interviews are conducted now?
M23t1xQ.jpg

(probably have been for a while... it just looks weird)

Also, really love this photo:
http://i.imgur.com/X829T5E.jpg

And this one, but for different reasons:
http://i.imgur.com/48rafgc.png

As a driver I think I almost would rather prefer this: answer he same question once instead of 15+ times.

Shaneus

I think it's going to be RBR the quickest (and it seems reliable as well) with McLaren, Lotus and Ferrari hopefully not too far behind. Still not sure about Mercedes but I actually wouldn't mind seeing Hamilton doing well now that he isn't driving for McLaren
You know, I don't think we'd be far off lumping in Sauber and hopefully STR not far behind that pack at all. I think this'll be the year that the bottom-tier teams will be left REALLY struggling compared to everyone else.

aeroslash

Can anyone tell me when are the Catalunya test going on? I have a free of work month and it would be awesome to go there someday.

Sorry for not following the thread often, but how have been Vettel laps in comparison to Webber ones?

Very excited again for this season and for the f1RM league! Go RB!

I think it's going to be RBR the quickest (and it seems reliable as well) with McLaren, Lotus and Ferrari hopefully not too far behind.

I reckon McLaren at the moment. I think they screwed up on day one by doing that stupidly fast lap so easily. Needed more sandbags.

Adamm

I assumed so but I didn't know if there was a back-off, like 2 weeks prior, 2 days prior, etc.

Ah right, I cant actually remember - I think it opened a week or so before so you could get your team sorted

Are we going to use F1RM again this year? Or was there another site being looked at?

If we are going to switch we should decide soon. Because last year we talked about it, but it was left so late that we just ended up sticked o F1RM & a few people went to 'test' another league (cant remember who)

The problem with switching is that out F1RM subleague has around 100 or so active members, most of which probably never visit this thread. So if we do move to another league the F1RM one will still probably stay quite active.

Personally Im happy either way, dont mind moving, dont mind staying :)

Nolan.

I really hope Mercedes can spoil the party, I would love to see Nico and Lewis take it to Mclaren and Redbull. However I doubt their initial package for Australia will do that, that will probably have to be the later rounds. Redbull is looking pretty reliable like most have mentioned already and that's something given their start last year, Ferrari for me doesn't seem too dangerous yet and Mclaren will only be good as their operations so ...yeah. I'm excited for this season. Also liking the Sauber and their driver line-up, have a good feeling for this season.

Yen

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
Ferrari have now confirmed legendary designer Rory Byrne is involved in the 2014 F1 car project

Seanspeed

Banned
I really hope Mercedes can spoil the party, I would love to see Nico and Lewis take it to Mclaren and Redbull. However I doubt their initial package for Australia will do that, that will probably have to be the later rounds.
The team isn't very well known for their development ability. The went from one of the best to one of the worst over the course of last season.

F1 David Coulthard's Sister Found Dead http://t.co/MOXsIJpK

@SkyNews
Aw man. :(

Every year there's been rumours of Byrne returning. It would be interesting to see how it would affect his perception in the eyes of the Ferrari faithful if the 2014 car turns out to be a dog.

Deadman

Recent years have hurt the reputations of brawn and schumacher, so why not make it all 3?

We will find we probably should have been worshipping some tyre designer at bridgestone this whole time.

Honda's only coming as an engine provider aren't they? Not a full factory team?

I think rhfb means which current team will pull out/go belly up at the end of the 2013 season and will be picked up for cheap come 2014
and maybe dominate? :lol

Chris R

I think rhfb means which current team will pull out/go belly up at the end of the 2013 season and will be picked up for cheap come 2014
and maybe dominate? :lol

More like which team will be garbage this year and then REALLY good next year because of a rule change :p

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Unless im missing something, this doesn't really show that much.

I'm sure Ferrari would not have wanted these pictures released, but it doesn't really seem as if much has been revealed.

Yeah, I feel like I must be missing something too...

paskowitz

Oh my, yes!

I'll do it when I get home from work tonight (in around 3.5 hours or so). Would it be okay to post a link here or should I just PM it to people who ask?

I do not think Ferrari will send Liam Nesson after you so posting it here should be safe.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting hole beneath Ferrari front wing

We will see how Byrne will help Ferrari with 2014 car. He was the boss with unlimited testing and with Ferrari dream team. But now, times are different... he will probably help Tombazis and Montechi with engine placement and chassis integration.

Also, here is Lewis Hamilton steering wheel

Top Bottom