• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

Wawrinka's intensity has been woeful all tournament and his voice was fucked in the last match. Not that surprised he lost.

MIMIC

Banned
Raonic can reach the final with this kind of form and this new style of his. Huge serve. S&V. Charging the net at every opportunity....and making sublime volleys @_@

His game has improved TREMENDOUSLY

John Dunbar

correct about everything
embarrassing serving in the murray-tomic match. three games so far in the second set, three breaks, four points won on serve.

Hard not to look at all the effort Raonic has put in to develop his game and intensity, then look across at Dimitrov and wish he would do the same.

Great match between Konta and Makarova, full of long rallies and clean groundstrokes. Konta was just too solid off the ground during the third set for her, even with her better angles. Konta's serve was firing too when she needed at, except when she served for the match at 5-4. Hope she can recover physically before her QF, but no matter, this is the best result of her career and the best by any British women since the mid 80s.

Diamond

Poor Andy, nobody celebrates his victory ? :D
So we have :

Djoko-Nishi
Fed-Berdych
Monfils-Raonic
Ferrer-Murray

At least one not-so-usual semi-finalist, not bad !
I'd say Nishikori has his chances, as Novak doesn't seem unplayable right now. Berdych too has his chances against Roger, he knows he has tactics that work against him. Ferrer-Murray was actually a pretty even H2H 2 years ago, right now I would bet on Andy all day. Monfils leads against Raonic but Milos is probably playing his best tennis so...

Kozak

Banned
I thought Tomic did well for facing one of the greats.

Doesn't seem like he'll challenge for a slam in his current shape but who knows. Time changes everything.

Good tournament for the Aussie lads I reckon despite the negative media surrounding Kyrgios and Tomic.

I'm guessing. Zhang will end up like Clijsters and baghdatis aslong as her rank improves, most likely get a invite next year with the way the media loves her.

Gonna go for Djokovic, Federer, Raonic and Murray for semi finalists. Nishikori will be spirited and maybe take a set but Djokovic will up his game as always. Berdych should do alright but I reckon fed should still take it if it doesn't go to 4 or 5 sets.

Raonic can reach the final with this kind of form and this new style of his. Huge serve. S&V. Charging the net at every opportunity....and making sublime volleys @_@

His game has improved TREMENDOUSLY

Yeah, he's been amazing this year. Hasn't lost a match, and has already won 2 tournaments, more than anyone else.

Good tournament for the Aussie lads I reckon despite the negative media surrounding Kyrgios and Tomic.

Between the two of them, sheeeeeesh. I am willing to do a permanent exchange with any other country who wants them. Anyone! Anyone at all! Sometimes I feel like a kangaroo with a tennis racket would be better behaved.

i

I think Serena is the favorite tonight.

Serena is beatable from the back of the court by a strong baseliner. The problem is that she knows it, so she makes sure she dominates with her serve and return so she crushes the "points between 0-4 shots" category so completely there's little rallying involved. Sharapova will need to either serve out of her mind, return out of her mind, or catch Serena on one of those days when the serve just won't click (e.g. Bencic at Toronto). But since she's who she is, Serena will bring her best.

Saw some people wanting more Raonic love, and Rohit Brijnath (I've searched far and wide, and I think he's clearly the best active English language tennis writer) has came through, writing on his win over Wawrinka. Here are some of his earlier articles on Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Novak Djokovic, Aga Radwanska and Kei Nishikori, all still in the AO 2016.

And of course, Roger Federer.

Kozak

Banned
Between the two of them, sheeeeeesh. I am willing to do a permanent exchange with any other country who wants them. Anyone! Anyone at all! Sometimes I feel like a kangaroo with a tennis racket would be better behaved.

Its alright. In a few years when Fed has retired and the current top is old, Kyrgios and Tomic will start winning and you'll start using words like "cool", "slick", "aggressive", "confident", "fun" and it will be all ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom