• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

Roger+Federer+Arrives+Sydney+UY-stpJxmtLl.jpg

Bye Lleyton. Impressive fighter, one of my favourite players when I began to watch tennis seriously. Subpar second half of career though, and it's difficult to tell if it's because the game evolved, because of injuries (he sustained a few, at the hip notably) or because he didn't care as much as in the beginning of his career (a lot of players would like to have his achievements). Still, great player.

THE point, against Federer. Indian Wells, 2005. Good times.

leng jai

Just going to copy my MTF thread here:

Like many people, I didn't like Hewitt at the beginning of his career but always respected him. It didn't help that my first memory of Lleyton was actually live against Haas at the 2001 Australian Open. I was only 13 at at the time, but I distinctly remember palming my face as I watched Haas give up a 5-0 and 5-1 lead in the first two sets. Looking back at it now, that was the quintessential Rusty that I would watch regularly for the next 15 years. Little did I know that his "COME ON"s every 2 seconds would end up being as iconic as Ivanovic's ajdes.

Living in Australia, I've watched my fair share of Hewitt epics. There was the 2001 US Open final where he dismantled Sampras for his maiden grand slam. I knew I was watching something special when a GOAT contender was passed/lobbed constantly in his own backyard by an opponent in his first slam final. He followed that up by beating an extremely green Nalbandian in the Wimbledon final one year later. Who could forget John Newcombe's "come on mate" during the commentary like it was a Davis Cup tie. Wimbledon should have started paying him for his constant lawn mowing. When it comes to losses, it's hard to go past the 2005 AO final against peak Safin, a match up that always produced a scintillating contrast in styles. Unfortunately for Lleyton, no one would deny Marat the trophy that year. For all his grand slam exploits, he always saved his most heroic performances while representing his country. There is one particular match that has always stood in my mind. Straight setting Guga Kuerten in an away tie on clay has to be one of the most extraordinary results I've ever seen. The manner in which he won was perhaps even more impressive than the scoreline. Hewitt dominated one of the best power clay courters of all time with his forehand. Read this sentence to yourself again - "Hewitt beat Kuerten in straight sets in Brazil, on clay, by hitting 20+ forehand winners". Even Guga had his head in his hands afterwards, seemingly in disbelief. He never hit his forehand like that again, and it's a stark contrast to the powderpuff balls he produces these days. It's no surprise that Hewitt leaves the sport with one of the best Davis Cup records ever.

In a way, I'm relieved and happy to see that he is finally bowing out. As someone who vividly remembers his years as world number one, it's been painful watching this shadow of himself struggle for the best part of a decade. It's a shame that there would be people that have watched Hewitt for 5+ years and mostly witnessed an underpowered grinder who's way past his peak and regressed so far mentally. Despite being a perennial choker in his latter years, the one thing he has never lost is his fighting spirit. There's something heart warming about watching someone fight so hard for every match, even if he inevitably ends up losing more often than not. To this day he has a skillset and understanding of the game that few modern players possess, and his sheer intensity was rivalled only by peak Nadal. It's fitting that in his last match ever, he still managed to fit in some umpire bashing one last time. I'm definitely going to miss seeing Hewitt and his gaudy outfits after watching him for over a decade, but time catches up with everyone and no doubt Haas will follow very soon.

See ya mate, thanks for beating Thomas so many times.

Hewitt ended his career the same way he started it, as a brat.

Seriously, he is 34 years old, supposed to be setting a good example for kids (especially given all of the drama around new brat Kyrgios) and is actually going to become a Davis Cup captain for his country. Yet, tonight he decides to call a linesperson a moron and then tell the chair umpire he is full of himself and everyone in the locker room thinks that.

What a dipshit.

I'm in the nosebleeds here at RLA and the atmosphere for that match was pretty damn amazing!

Never a massive fan of Hewitt but have always admired his fight. Was good to be here to see him off.

Diamond

Just going to copy my MTF thread here:

Like many people, I didn't like Hewitt at the beginning of his career but always respected him. It didn't help that my first memory of Lleyton was actually live against Haas at the 2001 Australian Open. I was only 13 at at the time, but I distinctly remember palming my face as I watched Haas give up a 5-0 and 5-1 lead in the first two sets. Looking back at it now, that was the quintessential Rusty that I would watch regularly for the next 15 years. Little did I know that his "COME ON"s every 2 seconds would end up being as iconic as Ivanovic's ajdes.

Living in Australia, I've watched my fair share of Hewitt epics. There was the 2001 US Open final where he dismantled Sampras for his maiden grand slam. I knew I was watching something special when a GOAT contender was passed/lobbed constantly in his own backyard by an opponent in his first slam final. He followed that up by beating an extremely green Nalbandian in the Wimbledon final one year later. Who could forget John Newcombe's "come on mate" during the commentary like it was a Davis Cup tie. Wimbledon should have started paying him for his constant lawn mowing. When it comes to losses, it's hard to go past the 2005 AO final against peak Safin, a match up that always produced a scintillating contrast in styles. Unfortunately for Lleyton, no one would deny Marat the trophy that year. For all his grand slam exploits, he always saved his most heroic performances while representing his country. There is one particular match that has always stood in my mind. Straight setting Guga Kuerten in an away tie on clay has to be one of the most extraordinary results I've ever seen. The manner in which he won was perhaps even more impressive than the scoreline. Hewitt dominated one of the best power clay courters of all time with his forehand. Read this sentence to yourself again - "Hewitt beat Kuerten in straight sets in Brazil, on clay, by hitting 20+ forehand winners". Even Guga had his head in his hands afterwards, seemingly in disbelief. He never hit his forehand like that again, and it's a stark contrast to the powderpuff balls he produces these days. It's no surprise that Hewitt leaves the sport with one of the best Davis Cup records ever.

In a way, I'm relieved and happy to see that he is finally bowing out. As someone who vividly remembers his years as world number one, it's been painful watching this shadow of himself struggle for the best part of a decade. It's a shame that there would be people that have watched Hewitt for 5+ years and mostly witnessed an underpowered grinder who's way past his peak and regressed so far mentally. Despite being a perennial choker in his latter years, the one thing he has never lost is his fighting spirit. There's something heart warming about watching someone fight so hard for every match, even if he inevitably ends up losing more often than not. To this day he has a skillset and understanding of the game that few modern players possess, and his sheer intensity was rivalled only by peak Nadal. It's fitting that in his last match ever, he still managed to fit in some umpire bashing one last time. I'm definitely going to miss seeing Hewitt and his gaudy outfits after watching him for over a decade, but time catches up with everyone and no doubt Haas will follow very soon.

See ya mate, thanks for beating Thomas so many times.

Hewitt ended his career the same way he started it, as a brat.

Seriously, he is 34 years old, supposed to be setting a good example for kids (especially given all of the drama around new brat Kyrgios) and is actually going to become a Davis Cup captain for his country. Yet, tonight he decides to call a linesperson a moron and then tell the chair umpire he is full of himself and everyone in the locker room thinks that.

What a dipshit.

c78.gif

I not really into tennis and hardly ever watch games, but I have seen Lleyton play some great matches in the past and so I am sad to see him go. Cant help but admire that tenacity.

Jay Sosa

One of my favorite players ever. Loved him from the very beginning to the very end of his career. So what if he's an asshole off court, not my problem. He's the perfect example how much you can achieve by giving it your all every fucking point (funnily enough I'm the exact opposite on court).

And I appreciate dudes like Kyrgios. Just imagine everyone was like Davydenko or Wawrinka. The tour needs some assholes not more lame ass dudes that have the charisma of a dead horse.

Would probably prefer Pliskova go through here, as cool as it would be if Goerges got shit together.

Pliskova has the potential to win this..so I'd like her to advance. Plus Goerges always wears such hideous outfits.

Peru

And I appreciate dudes like Kyrgios. Just imagine everyone was like Davydenko or Wawrinka. The tour needs some assholes not more lame ass dudes that have the charisma of a dead horse.

ATP is the friendz4ever tour. WTA's got the drama. That's the stereotype anyway.

szaromir

Banned
This Bolelli -Tomic match is interesting. There was a discussion about young players (juniors) investing most of their time into developing killer forehand and serve, Tomic was the opposite of that. He learned a lot about careful point construction and variety, and he was too successful as a junior as it turns out - he developed some serious attitude problems and wasted his early years on the pro tour. Ho claims now that he's fuly committed to be as successful as it gets, but I wonder if those wasted years will prevent him from reaching his full potential.

Ricker

Naomi Osaka!

Yeah right ?...never seen her play before but I watched her match against Svitolina...jesus,190km/h serves,wicked forehand and almost error free tennis...Svitolina played great and she still lost...only 18,if she always plays like that from now,she will be up there fast...

One of my favorite players ever. Loved him from the very beginning to the very end of his career. So what if he's an asshole off court, not my problem. He's the perfect example how much you can achieve by giving it your all every fucking point (funnily enough I'm the exact opposite on court).

Pliskova has the potential to win this..so I'd like her to advance. Plus Goerges always wears such hideous outfits.

These are like my favourite players. lol.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Some people just can't look at the tennis itself, they're showmen but if Kyrgios did what he did with any selfrespecting dude he would've gotten his ass beaten a long time ago. Other than that he doesn't realize yet how overconfidence will bring him down in the long run. Guy is a punk that's feeling himself too much, grandeur is a man's biggest risk in any field, especially sports

The annoying thing about wanting to watch the third match on a court (Aga vs. Puig) is not knowing how long both men's matches will take before it. Guess I'll record it anyway, in case I get up after it begins.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Kei down two breaks in the second. Kind of surprised.

edit: some nerves there at the end, but Bencic pulls through

Only saw the last set, but Bencic served really well there while Bondarenko missed a lot. Some great points towards the end, especially at 5-5 15 all, but also several tight nervy misses. I don't think Bencic's on court attitude is that bad (or maybe I have low standards given the way most of the top players act!).

First meeting between Sharapova and Bencic coming up unless Davis pulls off a giant killing.

Nishikori has nothing behind his forehand right now. Think he had the trainer on according to the commentators, so I guess injured again. Great news for Tsonga if so.

Niraj

Way to go Lauren! Thought she would definitely lose the tiebreak after flubbing the volley on that long rally.

Way to go Lauren! Thought she would definitely lose the tiebreak after flubbing the volley on that long rally.

It's so easy to flub the final put away shot in a long rally. You relax just a smidge because you know its the end of the point and then dump it into the net. Can't tell you how many times I've done that in rec play

I'm glad Lauren won that tiebreaker after missing the volley to end the superb rally on the 4-5 point. That would have haunted her for a good while.

Awesome stuff. Gonna get an hour's sleep, and hope Tsonga smashes his way through so I can time myself for Aga's match lol. Hopefully will wake up to an upset with Davis beating Pova.

szaromir

Banned
Awesome stuff. Gonna get an hour's sleep, and hope Tsonga smashes his way through so I can time myself for Aga's match lol. Hopefully will wake up to an upset with Davis beating Pova.

You have the Federer - Dimitrov showdown and you're waking up for Radwanska - Puig? :p

Niraj

Fed has gotten sloppy since going up 0-40 at 5-3

edit: god, can't believe he missed that forehand at 15-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom