• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fed wanted to finish this quickly, couldn't, is mad now

I don't know if he is, but I am lol. Not hating on Dimitrov, he has stepped up big time. I just don't know if I'll be able to watch the whole match now.

Just convert your damn break points dude lol

edit: he listened :eek:

edit2: that was a disappointing game there from Grigor

You have the Federer - Dimitrov showdown and you're waking up for Radwanska - Puig? :p

haha. What can I say? I'm an Aga super fan XD

Aga gets the first set on a great last game. Not a lot in this one. Puig doing very well, but Aga holding firm with some trademark shots to edge it.

9 games in a row to seal it in a dominant display in the end for Aga. Thanks for the quick finish, girl. I can catch up on some sleep again now lol.

She should make the semis, but her second serve always worries me. Other players can capitalise on it, but she always finds a way around her opponents the more the match goes on. Her 0-8 record against Serena also gives me some doubt even if she did make the final, but has been a long time since they last played each other. I think making the final would be a huge achievement in this side of the draw. Keeping the faith.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
9 games in a row to seal it in a dominant display in the end for Aga. Thanks for the quick finish, girl. I can catch up on some sleep again now lol.

She should make the semis, but her second serve always worries me. Other players can capitalise on it, but she always finds a way around her opponents the more the match goes on. Her 0-8 record against Serena also gives me some doubt even if she did make the final, but has been a long time since they last played each other. I think making the final would be a huge achievement in this side of the draw. Keeping the faith.

I really hope she does. I'll be hoping alongside you.

Not the cleanest match, but glad Fed made it through after that dismal second set. Congrats on his 300th major win.

That's a big ass ring Serena is wearing on her right hand. That would effect my racket grip like crazy but obviously not for Serena. Kasatkina is cute but way out of her league here.

BowieZ

Banned
keep being a clown Kyrgios, that's all you're gonna be remembered for
I kinda like his volatility, his fire. He produces some amazing tennis, so I'll take it. (That third set was unbelievable.) Yes, I know there are numerous players who produce even better tennis without (usually) causing a ruckus but hey I like his personality and think he's good for the sport. The new McEnroe.

And it's good seeing some colour at the top.

d+pad

She's going to have to beat Serena to get to the final, though -- unless Maria or Bencic take her out first. (And we all know Maria's not going to do it, so...)

Still, a semi would be a great result for Aga at any GS these days, I think.

BTW, if she does get to the semis and her opponent there is Serena, know that I'll be cheering her on alongside you :)

She's going to have to beat Serena to get to the final, though -- unless Maria or Bencic take her out first. (And we all know Maria's not going to do it, so...)

Still, a semi would be a great result for Aga at any GS these days, I think.

BTW, if she does get to the semis and her opponent there is Serena, know that I'll be cheering her on alongside you :)

Yeah, slipped my mind that a meeting with Serena or Pova is the SF, with those two meeting in the QF. SF would defo be a great result considering the tough side of the draw. I don't think any of the girls Aga's faced have been total pushovers so far, either. It always amazes me how much she can trade blows with the heavy hitters, reads their games and forces the errors. The fact she can do it to the best of them gives me hope that there's no reason she can't do it to Serena, and we know she's not invincible. I want to say the lack of match practice will catch up to Serena, but it's Serena, so... Fingers crossed lol.

szaromir

Banned
Aga's got a very soft draw to the semis and that could work to her advantage - it means she'd only need to play (and win) 2 high level matches to grab the trophy. Not impossible, but not guaranteed by any means, especially since she's Serena's lapdog in every sense of the word. :p

It's worked out quite well for her with many seeds like Kvitova dropping, that's for sure. That jump to #4 to knock Pova into #5 looks to have helped her out a fair bit in this tourney, too.

The game is going to pass by Kyrgios very quickly. Great ball striker, but horrible match player. He's clearly not intimidated by players, but he takes points off and doesn't have the killer instead not to completely devour the souls of the opposition.

Osaka can't serve properly. Might as well withdraw than let Azarenka destroy your spinned serves (I'm assuming she's nursing an injury since she's known for her big serve.)

I've watched a lot of Muguruza over the past few months (USO v Konta, Wuhan, Beijing, YEC) and never seen her so lacking in will for the fight. Must have been carrying some injury. Hopefully find out later. Credit Strycova for moving her around and taking advantage though.

Konta served exceptionally well today (okay, less than 24 hours after Serena won 28 straight points on serve it looked less impressive than it should). Big match vs. Makarova in R4.

Serena/Vika final on the cards unless a huge upset happens now. Off to sleep.

Aussie vs Aussie tonight. Even as an Aussie myself, I dont really care about this match. When I see people from the same country playing each other, it feels almost like watching friends mucking around. Not "serious" enough.

Peru

Azarenka is doing the most to secure her reputation as supervillain with her routes and that dab, but Osaka WAS struggling with injury today.

Jay Sosa

These are like my favourite players. lol.

Don't get me wrong they are/were amazing tennis players (well besides Davydenkos match fixing issues, hell his wife was on the phone the entire time placing bets during the matches) but they are (seemingly) so fucking boring off the court. Which is completely fine, just saying the sport also needs douchebags that curse the umpire for asking them if they want a challenge.

_Clash_

I think it's laughable how many people write off Kygrios prospects because he's a hot head.

Not every champion has to be Federer/ Djoko ice cold.

made Berdych look inadequate in the 3d and kid still doesn't have a coach. Was overawed in the big time early on and acted up. He's never gonna shut up and have tantrums. He needs to learn to harness that energy though.

I'd watch this space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom