• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Reasons I'm happy to see Argo win:

-Ben Affleck has turned his career around. Complete 180. What a man.
-The film gave us some amazing tension.
-It gave today's generation a history lesson about America's past sins. Any movie that gets people to think about history and about the state of the world is doing something right.
-The soundtrack was great. I loved the 70s and 80s vibe.
-Affleck. Affleck. Affleck.

Ben_Affleck_doigt_honneur.png

Argo fuck yourself.

jtb

Banned
Reasons I'm happy to see Argo win:

-Ben Affleck has turned his career around. Complete 180. What a man.
-The film gave us some amazing tension.
-It gave today's generation a history lesson about America's past sins. Any movie that gets people to think about history and about the state of the world is doing something right.
-The soundtrack was great. I loved the 70s and 80s vibe.
-Affleck. Affleck. Affleck.

Ben_Affleck_doigt_honneur.png

Argo fuck yourself, haters.

Reasons I wish Argo didn't win:
-It's Ben's worst film, by far.

black_13

Banned
Seth's almost cring worthy/unexpected humour had me tuned in for the whole show. It was a real nice change from the usual borefest it has been last few years.

Even better that you could practically feel the audience turning on him. Man I would not have the balls to be in his place now especially if he's going to any after show parties.

Overall I didn't care for any movie winning anything really. Django/Life of Pi got some good stuff which is good.

Salsa

a pretty wonky and MURICA version, when in reality Canada did more than half the work

a wrong history lesson aint really "something right"

MisterHero

I haven't read much about Argo but I'm sorta interested because Jack Kirby was involved in the real incident. Does that play into the film at all?

Wilbur

Banned
Absolutely not. That movie was flawless.

Oh my. Outside of Geoffrey Rush and a smattering of Firth I can't think of anything good about it.

slumdog is the best best picture winner of the last 5 years (including this year). search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Nonsense bollocks fate plot which ripped off my childhood viewings of Chris Tarrant led by the wet cunt from Skins. No thanks.

The hurt locker?

Boring?

What?

Renner was good but it was just repetitive and devoid of tension after one or two bomb disposals. Once you've seen 49 of them it's just boring.

Kazerei

Banned
I would've liked to see Django Unchained win Best Picture for Tarantino's sake. I love his films and they're very well made. They just don't fit with the Academy's tastes I guess.

Lothars

I am glad django won some things as well but I wasn't a fan of life of Pi and thought it was okay at best, So I am disappointed it won as many as it did.

jett

D-Member
The only crime of the night was Brave winning over Wreck-it Ralph. Brave is such mediocre, by the numbers, safe garbage.

Argo was at least memorable. Artist, Kings Speech, and Hurt Locker come in consecutive years and have to be three of the most forgettable best pictures ever.

I tried to watch the ceremony.... but I didn't care for most of the movies. Honestly I'd like to see some changes, add specific categories for example so horror movies or comedies can get a chance.

Qvoth

Sure, but not everyone (myself included) knew how the airport really played out.
Yes, we knew they'd get out, but I found the added stress welcome.

Just because we knew Lincoln died at the end and the 13th amendment passed, didn't make the voting scene any less powerful.

that scene was powerful because of ddl..
the airport scene was kinda standard-ish action movie thing?

MIMIC

Banned
My local news reading tweets:

"Kristen Stewart seems like she's always two aspirins away from needing her stomach pumped"

LMAO

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My night is vindicated by Waltz and QT winning. Wish Chastain would have taken actress, but i can handle Lawrence. Also The Avengers should have gotten effects. The fact that it dominated the box office but got snubbed is crazy.

They need to have a "in the most movies" award and give it to JGL.

MisterHero

The only crime of the night was Brave winning over Wreck-it Ralph. Brave is such mediocre, by the numbers, safe garbage.
A safe film could still be much better than Brave. Brave felt like a 30-minute special they might air on the Disney Channel or something

DrEvil

not a medical professional
that scene was powerful because of ddl..
the airport scene was kinda standard-ish action movie thing?

DDL wasn't in the voting scene other than writing a note.

My point was, even knowing the outcome, the creative liberties taken in both films made them stronger for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom