• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
qrzw4tzxzdjko40.gif

ha. that dude is great. you could see it coming from a mile away. how unfortunate.

bomma_man

The King's Speech was so predictable. It won for its script too didn't it? That's an awful decision, Geoffrey Rush is like some antipodean magical negro.

Alucard

Banned
a pretty wonky and MURICA version, when in reality Canada did more than half the work

a wrong history lesson aint really "something right"

That was really my only major gripe with it. I didn't like it downplaying Canada at the end, but I still thought it showed enough of Canada's role for me not to jump on the re-writing history hate train. Was it patriotically American? Yeah. And I typically hate that living in Canada myself. However, I thought the editing was REALLY fucking good, the music was excellent, the acting was on point, the costumes were perfect, the images were memorable, and the pacing was nearly flawless.

Anyway, if it gets people to actually research the Iranian hostage crisis, I'd say it's win-win. People can find out the true story themselves with a quick google search and learn something more about the world.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
If I was a director I'd hate to see my film win best picture knowing that, upon winning, it will instantly become a piece of shit that not only shouldn't have been nominated, but never should have been made in the first place.

jtb

Banned
I haven't seen Argo yet, but really? His worst film?

The Town was pretty mediocre (and overrated)

Gone Baby Gone is a legitimately great movie. One of the best of 2007 (and that was a great year), maybe even one of the best of the 2000s. Go watch that instead of Argo.

If I was a director I'd hate to see my film win best picture knowing that, upon winning, it will instantly become a piece of shit that not only shouldn't have been nominated, but never should have been made in the first place.

I'd feel like shit if I made crash too, man.

I don't know how QT keeps winning for Writing, if everyone hates him too much to give him BP.

Because if they snubbed him entirely, it'd be too obvious.

The Hurt Locker (both the film and the screenplay) couldn't hold a damn candle to Inglourious Basterds. The Hurt Locker's good, but Jesus... We should accept that Tarantino will probably never win a BP.

bndadm

A safe film could still be much better than Brave. Brave felt like a 30-minute special they might air on the Disney Channel or something

Thematically all over the place, didn't commit to displaying a strong young girl as a hero, and like you said, safe storytelling.

It only seemed to resonate with girls young and old. Which is fine, but it's not "best animated feature" fine.

Disappointed Django did not win. I know it had precisely zero chance of winning best picture, but it was the most I have enjoyed a film in the theater in years. I think the audience knew it too when it's compared to all these mega serious movies (I lol'd at how butthurt Affleck was at Seth MacFarlane's joke). Seth was also a great host since his usually smug persona is a lot like a presenter of an awards show, so he was a perfect choice.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I haven't seen Argo yet, but really? His worst film?

The Town was pretty mediocre (and overrated)

The Town is spectacular - my favorite movie that year. I'm slightly angry because you have a different opinion than me on the internet.

Meier

Loved Slumdog. Thought The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was great too. Dev is a-okay in my book -- charming and likeable.

Gone Baby Gone is a legitimately great movie. One of the best of 2007 (and that was a great year), maybe even one of the best of the 2000s. Go watch that instead of Argo.

Gone Baby Gone was fantastic. It almost felt like people didn't know how to deal with Affleck making a good film, so they just left it out come award time.

JABEE

I think Tarantino is good at making films that are not only really smart and funny, but can also appeal to people's most basest instincts and the lowest common denominator. It's why his movies are pretty uniformly and begrudgingly enjoyed by even the harshest of critics. The only people who hate him do so out of jealousy, and the fact that he seems like an arrogant, prick who thinks he knows everything. Movie-goers revel in it, while the Academy despises him.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Reasons I'm happy to see Argo win:

-Ben Affleck has turned his career around. Complete 180. What a man.
-The film gave us some amazing tension.
-It gave today's generation a history lesson about America's past sins. Any movie that gets people to think about history and about the state of the world is doing something right.
-The soundtrack was great. I loved the 70s and 80s vibe.
-Affleck. Affleck. Affleck.

Ben_Affleck_doigt_honneur.png

Argo fuck yourself.

Affleck is the fucking bomb.

bndadm

Losing this year just means that:

Deakins has to be cinematographer on next Bond (and win it that time)
Hugh Jackman needs to be in more everything (style & class)
Daniel Radcliffe is pretty good at things other than Harry Potter
Spielberg should go back to making non Oscar-bait films.

Of course I would be happy with all of that regardless of the reasons why.

.GqueB.

Banned
Gone Baby Gone was fantastic. It almost felt like people didn't know how to deal with Affleck making a good film, so they just left it out come award time.

Yea it was fucking tragic. Such an amazing movie with a damn near perfect ending. Everything about it was really great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom