• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

jason10mm

Gold Member
Andor had the excuse of being about a character nobody cared about, and being a much slower and thought provoking story. The Acolyte on the other hand appeals more to the general masses with it being very Jedi focused. You've got the guy from Squid Game which was a global smash hit, Carrie Ann Moss, lightsabers everywhere, a Wookie Jedi, and it was a brand new story set in a different time period. And yet it's doing Andor levels of viewership. Right now they're filming The Mandalorian and Grogu, but if that doesn't do well at the box office, then at that point Disney Star Wars is in serious fucking trouble.
Yeah, Andor definitely is NOT the standard that The Acolyte is trying to beat, not for a 250 mill budget or whatever. This thing was greenlit with the intent to bring in 10-15 mill NEW subscribers and get 30 mill viewers per week, not flounder with 4-6 mill views and constant negative press. How they handed that kinda cash over to that showrunner is just a mystery. It's almost as bad as Amazon hiring their two noobs for the billion dolla Rings of Power spend. WTF are these guys thinking?

Madflavor

Gold Member
Yeah, Andor definitely is NOT the standard that The Acolyte is trying to beat, not for a 250 mill budget or whatever. This thing was greenlit with the intent to bring in 10-15 mill NEW subscribers and get 30 mill viewers per week, not flounder with 4-6 mill views and constant negative press. How they handed that kinda cash over to that showrunner is just a mystery. It's almost as bad as Amazon hiring their two noobs for the billion dolla Rings of Power spend. WTF are these guys thinking?

I’d say Kathleen Kennedy is the problem, but it’s not just her. All of LucasFilm is rotten to the core. When KK leaves, she will handpick her replacement which will likely be as bad or worse. Dave Filoni is completely overrated, always has been, and I’m glad that more fans in recent times are finally seeing it.

Star Wars will likely need to crash and burn before it can have any hope of getting better. Things will need to get so bad that shareholders will eventually start putting the pressure on Disney to forceably make changes at LF.

Last edited:
Star Wars will likely need to crash and burn before it can have any hope of getting better. Things will need to get so bad that shareholders will eventually start putting the pressure on Disney to forceably make changes at LF.
I wouldn't count on that. There was already a shareholder revolt at Disney earlier this year but Blackrock and Vanguard backed management and the shareholder revolt was killed. Disney's biggest shareholders are all-in on the woke agenda and do not care how much money is lost. If you were a small investor you probably gave up and sold your DIS shares a long time ago now, the current management does not care about money and will keep pushing the agenda with no one to tell them to stop ever

1 billion dollars is a rounding error for a company as huge as Amazon. They don't care how much money they lose, it's about The Message™

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
I would unironically watch a light-hearted buddy cop Jedi show with the Fat Jedi. He's trying to lose weight or he gets tossed from the Jedi Order, but he loves giant sandwiches from Naboo or some shit. Get on that Disney and redeem yourselves.
Stop drilling, you hit oil my friend!

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? Him watching his disciple running around behind his back. I guess this is how Qimir has lived for so long

Qimir was predictably Vernestra's old padawan

Osha predictably falls to the dark side and avenges her mother on Sol. I thought the cracked kyber crystal was a nice touch and a bit of foreshadowing for what was about to happen

I was not expecting Vernestra to go to such lengths to conceal the Jedi's failings and conceal the Sith ....

... I suppose we'll find out why in season 2, or whatever form the followup to all of this takes.

Toons

I get it, I want the story to make sense and you don't mind. Agree to disagree.

But trying to make it seem like they had no choice but to make it nonsensical as an excuse is just sad. I severely disagree with this. If you find value in this show, I think you should despite the obvious screw-ups, not try to cover them up like a defense squad. Canon has been broken -this is simply empirical. So now the conversation has shifted to whether it's a very big deal to break canon bc reasons and opinions. It can hardly get any lower than this and it insults the intelligence of anyone hearing it.

Canon hasn't been broken. I think I can safely say that after this episode. I figured it wasn't going to be. Rwowe covered it up, none of the jedi know anything except one who is hiding it and everyone else is dead. No harm no foul.

As for ki adi mundis age(which by the way was sourced from some ancient book no one read that also says he has a purple lightsaber) yes I well and truly don't care about any of that BS and id bet every dime to my name that if you walked up to Lucas and asked him about this he wouldn't know what the hell you were talking about and would laugh it off and move on. So I'm going to do the same.

I decided to take a breather and just see out the rest of the show to see if there was legitmate discussion to be had about canon breaking here. given the way it ended theres not and you're right. You're either ok with the cover up and don't give af about mundis age or you consider it sacrosanct to hold to those things. I am in the former. If you're not more power to you and im sorry for the disappointment.

• • •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As for the finale itself. Its solid as an episode but could have been better as a finale but overall my feelings toward the show are positive.

Overall I enjoyed this show and it sucks the discourse around it was so volatile. It ultimately was a pretty ambitious star wars tale(I always value ambition, even when the landing isn't stuck perfectly) and I wouldn't mind having more of it. There are various flaws to be pointed out(and im not talking about the nitpicks and whining about canon this canon that) i mean there are flaws in the formatting of the epsidoes, the arrangement of plot revelations and maes entire character being a device for oshas ascension. I have no problem with that itself but give her less screen time if you're going to do that. If they do another round im hoping mae gets killed off(she should have just been killed off at the end by qimir, he could have lied to osha and told her to leave and then boom he just drops her. Wouldve been awesome) and we get another jedi to lead the series; because it ain't gonna be vernestra lol.

I thought the shows jedi characters were utilized well, the stranger is legit energizing to watch every time he's on screen, and Disney needs to pay manny Jacinto a lot of moolah to keep him around, as he's the most exciting thing Disney has added to this franchise since they got it. there was a neat story here that shows *how* someone can logistically turn to the dark side. Its a thing if theres always been a question of if all of these dark side users were simply cartoonishly evil or if some of them bad legitimate hurdles in life that set them down this path.

The show is a nice view on the side of those who don't fall in line with the jedi way. We don't get that too often, and for casual star wars fans this is hopefully a fresh breath. For deeper fans, there's a treasure trove here. Cortosis, Krystal bleeding, various easter eggs referencing extended universe stuff, and the first on screen Darth plagueis is more than enough to whet my appetite. I've never been a big eu guy, but it seems that someone at Disney is. The biggest problem with this show is the format and thats been an issue since day 1 of the d plus stuff. The 8 episodes/6 epsidoes/ whatever just don't fit every premise and this is one of them. I dont know what else they can do for formatting but they neeeeeed to figure something out becayae this format has way too many plot redundancies, meandering pacing that takes too long to get to the good stuff, etc. They need to take that criticism above all else, work. Out. The format.

Thats all I gotta say really. Some are gonna write it off as terrible dei woke blah blah but ultimately this comes across far more as a straight up star wars show and I think to claim no one behind it are fans of the deeper lore is disingenuous. This had mysticism, droids, inner conflict, outer conflict, lightsabers and council meetings. Its star wars and its pretty alright. Id much prefer this stuff than more "[OT character]: A star wars story. Ok maybe give us a mace windu thing. But thats it.

New characters. New planets. Theres so much freedom there.

BadBurger

Canon hasn't been broken. I think I can safely say that after this episode. I figured it wasn't going to be. Rwowe covered it up, none of the jedi know anything except one who is hiding it and everyone else is dead. No harm no foul.

As for ki adi mundis age(which by the way was sourced from some ancient book no one read that also says he has a purple lightsaber) yes I well and truly don't care about any of that BS and id bet every dime to my name that if you walked up to Lucas and asked him about this he wouldn't know what the hell you were talking about and would laugh it off and move on. So I'm going to do the same.

I decided to take a breather and just see out the rest of the show to see if there was legitmate discussion to be had about canon breaking here. given the way it ended theres not and you're right. You're either ok with the cover up and don't give af about mundis age or you consider it sacrosanct to hold to those things. I am in the former. If you're not more power to you and im sorry for the disappointment.

• • •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As for the finale itself. Its solid as an episode but could have been better as a finale but overall my feelings toward the show are positive.

Overall I enjoyed this show and it sucks the discourse around it was so volatile. It ultimately was a pretty ambitious star wars tale(I always value ambition, even when the landing isn't stuck perfectly) and I wouldn't mind having more of it. There are various flaws to be pointed out(and im not talking about the nitpicks and whining about canon this canon that) i mean there are flaws in the formatting of the epsidoes, the arrangement of plot revelations and maes entire character being a device for oshas ascension. I have no problem with that itself but give her less screen time if you're going to do that. If they do another round im hoping mae gets killed off(she should have just been killed off at the end by qimir, he could have lied to osha and told her to leave and then boom he just drops her. Wouldve been awesome) and we get another jedi to lead the series; because it ain't gonna be vernestra lol.

I thought the shows jedi characters were utilized well, the stranger is legit energizing to watch every time he's on screen, and Disney needs to pay manny Jacinto a lot of moolah to keep him around, as he's the most exciting thing Disney has added to this franchise since they got it. there was a neat story here that shows *how* someone can logistically turn to the dark side. Its a thing if theres always been a question of if all of these dark side users were simply cartoonishly evil or if some of them bad legitimate hurdles in life that set them down this path.

The show is a nice view on the side of those who don't fall in line with the jedi way. We don't get that too often, and for casual star wars fans this is hopefully a fresh breath. For deeper fans, there's a treasure trove here. Cortosis, Krystal bleeding, various easter eggs referencing extended universe stuff, and the first on screen Darth plagueis is more than enough to whet my appetite. I've never been a big eu guy, but it seems that someone at Disney is. The biggest problem with this show is the format and thats been an issue since day 1 of the d plus stuff. The 8 episodes/6 epsidoes/ whatever just don't fit every premise and this is one of them. I dont know what else they can do for formatting but they neeeeeed to figure something out becayae this format has way too many plot redundancies, meandering pacing that takes too long to get to the good stuff, etc. They need to take that criticism above all else, work. Out. The format.

Thats all I gotta say really. Some are gonna write it off as terrible dei woke blah blah but ultimately this comes across far more as a straight up star wars show and I think to claim no one behind it are fans of the deeper lore is disingenuous. This had mysticism, droids, inner conflict, outer conflict, lightsabers and council meetings. Its star wars and its pretty alright. Id much prefer this stuff than more "[OT character]: A star wars story. Ok maybe give us a mace windu thing. But thats it.

New characters. New planets. Theres so much freedom there.

This show definitely needed tighter editing and suffered due to its short episodes and the order of its plot reveals in my opinion.

Toons

This show definitely needed tighter editing and suffered due to its short episodes and the order of its plot reveals in my opinion.

The d plus format has been a constantly weak point in every single project except maybe wandavision. Even when I like the project overall its a week point. They are trying to fit every premise into a square hole. This show should've been maybe 4 hour long specials instead of 8 epsidoes with the entirety of the flashback stuff happening in one of them, maybe the second so episode 3 and 7(re cut without the redundancies). The qimir reveal should've been immediately after, with epsiode 4 and 5 together. Then the entire finale following containing episodes 6 and 8. Epsidoes 1 and 2 already did this, and that one got viewership minutes as a result too.

Would have been a much much better flow but I get it. They wanna get subscription time lasting 2 months at least. Ok. So, put the epsidoes 2 weeks apart and do a behind the scenes ep each week on the in between or some lore catch up aftershow. Its cheap, it's easy and engages casuals into the eu/lore bits because there's a lot of it here. There's just gotta be another way because the way they do it now you feel like you have to have a major blow up of a finality to make up for all the time investment.

Jinzo Prime

They should hire Tony Gilroy to be the head of Lucafilm

He actually makes great movies and shows. Andor is fantastic in everything: Script, CGI, Music (especially), etc

It's a mistake on their part to let him go after he finishes Andor
I remember reading that Tony has a first look deal with Disney, so they aren't letting him go just yet. They know how good he is. And I just found Manabyte's thread on it:

Tieno

This could have been so good with what they were given, but the execution is so Disney-esque. Lacking effort and passion. What's the least we can do?
The interjection of Darth Plagues to string us along with the show is so unimaginative and stupid.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Here's the new narrative from the same idiot who started the Ki-Adi-Mundi thing:

Once again sourcing a non-canon Legends book claiming it's canon and the show is breaking that canon that hasn't been "canon" for over a decade.

Also in the book, Plagueis tells Palpatine that in human terms he's HUNDREDS of years old. The dude is the Alex Jones of Star Wars now.

By this same Pakled logic, The Force Awakens breaks canon because by that time Chewbacca was supposed to be dead.

28hn05Q.jpeg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I half watched the episode who was Darth Plagueis the Wise. Was that who the Sith guy turned out to be?

show is bad, should be canceled.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Found a clip......

From someone who didn't watch the show and is just parroting grifter BS. The twins weren't created like Anakin. It's alluded that they were one person and then split using the Force into two people. They're 100% identical which the Jedi discovered in their blood where twins would have some variation.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
From someone who didn't watch the show and is just parroting grifter BS. The twins weren't created like Anakin. It's alluded that they were one person and then split using the Force into two people. They're 100% identical which the Jedi discovered in their blood where twins would have some variation.

I just found the clip.....It is not my endorsement of the statement associated with it.

The show is terrible though. That is why I half watched the last episode.

Toons

Here's the new narrative from the same idiot who started the Ki-Adi-Mundi thing:

Once again sourcing a non-canon Legends book claiming it's canon and the show is breaking that canon that hasn't been "canon" for over a decade.

Also in the book, Plagueis tells Palpatine that in human terms he's HUNDREDS of years old. The dude is the Alex Jones of Star Wars now.

By this same Pakled logic, The Force Awakens breaks canon because by that time Chewbacca was supposed to be dead.

28hn05Q.jpeg

Star wars theory is a clown show. regardless of how you feel about modern star wars i dont understand how anyone can take him seriously. He has no deep lore of the EU at all beyond the basics and so isn't qualified to even be running a theory Channel, but he isn't a theory channel more so than a b*tching channel these days anyway.

His criticisms are very often entirely superficial and arbitrary(the andor brick complaint beyond a very prominent example of this) and he absolutely dickrides PT anakin so hard that his videos need an X rating. Hes to anakin what swifties are to the music industry.

Also, his original and now deleted review of the last jedi he called it a great film and gave it constructive criticism. He deleted these once he saw where the money was for content creation.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Also, his original and now deleted review of the last jedi he called it a great film and gave it constructive criticism. He deleted these once he saw where the money was for content creation.

Most of the Fandom Menace channels are like that (Geeks and Gamers) where they loved TLJ until they saw how much money was hitting their YouTube revenue tab by shitting on it so they quickly changed tune.

Madflavor

Gold Member
How did Porkins (his name was PORKins) even fit in the X-Wing?

I think you can safely assumed he wasn't quite fat enough to not be able to fit in. You're really reaching here man. I get you love the show and you feel the need to defend it, but you gotta pick your battles. First off most people laughing about the Fat Jedi aren't saying Star Wars is ruined because of it. People are just laughing at the absurdity of it, and it is absurd. It's laughable. If you're okay with people laughing at Porkins, you should be okay with people laughing at Jediabetes.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I think you can safely assumed he wasn't quite fat enough to not be able to fit in. You're really reaching here man. I get you love the show and you feel the need to defend it, but you gotta pick your battles. First off most people laughing about the Fat Jedi aren't saying Star Wars is ruined because of it. People are just laughing at the absurdity of it, and it is absurd. It's laughable. If you're okay with people laughing at Porkins, you should be okay with people laughing at Jediabetes.

Porkins was affectionately viewed as kind of a joke too since he was so out of place. Back in the 70s the world had way fewer fat people in general.

But it never bothered me - the Rebellion was a ragtag group that needed all available pilots for a suicide mission against the Death STar, so it makes sense that they would relax the height/weight requirements a bit. Whereas an order of ascetic warrior monks in a time of peace would not. I didn't watch this show and I haven't voiced an opinion on it specifically. But I will plead guilty to thinking that fat Jedis are such a violation of hte spirit of the original vision that I would not be able to get over it and enjoy the show.

ManaByte

Gold Member
But I will plead guilty to thinking that fat Jedis are such a violation of hte spirit of the original vision that I would not be able to get over it and enjoy the show.

What original vision? The one in the licensed fan fiction where Jedi fucked anything that moved and had families that grew into dynasties, or the George Lucas vision where they weren't allowed to have families, sat around in chairs all day, and worked as the Chancellor's space cops?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
HeadWhat original vision? The one in the licensed fan fiction where Jedi fucked anything that moved and had families that grew into dynasties, or the George Lucas vision where they weren't allowed to have families, sat around in chairs all day, and worked as the Chancellor's space cops?
Either way over what we got with Disney.

Watched Critical Drinkers video on the last episode

"This happens then this happens then this happens."

Then makes a back hand lowkey racist comment about the dude from Squid Games English.

When you gotta grift for views every week when you could've just done a 40 minute break down after the show ended to tell us what we already knew: It's shit.

tkscz

28hn05Q.jpeg

Ah yes, someone who enjoyed the books when they were canon should just forget everything they read and loved and just except the stuff they don't enjoy because a company told them to.

To me it's a valid argument. If they aren't enjoying the new canon, they they can stick to the old.

The shows writing wasn't good, it's filled with plot contrivances, it was touted as a mystery but there was no mystery. I was never sure I was supposed to feel about these characters because it never feels like they know what they are supposed to be feeling.

The witches remind me of the chick with the long neck and purple hair from The Last Jedi, I was supposed to see her as good but her actions always came off as evil. Is this some style of writing?

Characters making decisions that constantly had my held tilting. Characters suddenly changing their minds from one episode to the next with no reason for the change.

Just overall not a good show to me.

BadBurger

It has been interesting watching Star Wars becoming old enough and growing enough to catch up with comic books in the way various segments of the fandom debate which eras of canon they prefer.

Like how when DC or Marvel reboots the entire line or just some characters, and a decade later there's still people online arguing over which epoch was better, and whether or not the inevitable expansion and iteration of the fictional universe is enjoyable or not. The OT vs Prequel online wars of the 2010's are repeating themselves in a different way now that we have flourishing social media.

Trilobit

Oh boy what an absolutely subpar show it was to the end. I first thought of it as mediocre, but that word hints at some level of quality. If it wasn't for the Sol actor I wouldn't have finished it.

SPOILERS:

I have no idea what this show was about or what it tried to do. Osha and the blonde girl seemed to become friends, but then she got killed. Then Osha decides that the murderer is actually pretty hot. Then as she apparently carries a lot of anger, which I haven't seen in earlier episodes, it means that she'll do...what exactly? Take revenge? Take over the galaxy?

If there's any justice in the galaxy then this won't get another season.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

The witches remind me of the chick with the long neck and purple hair from The Last Jedi, I was supposed to see her as good but her actions always came off as evil. Is this some style of writing?

Characters making decisions that constantly had my held tilting. Characters suddenly changing their minds from one episode to the next with no reason for the change.

Just overall not a good show to me.
Seems like the writers took a page out of MCU's writing with like the Wanda show trying to portray her as the one who suffered the most while she was holding an entire town hostage, even after realizing this.
Oh boy what an absolutely subpar show it was to the end. I first thought of it as mediocre, but that word hints at some level of quality. If it wasn't for the Sol actor I wouldn't have finished it.

I have no idea what this show was about or what it tried to do. Osha and the blond girl seemed to become friends, but then she got killed. Then Osha decides that the murderer is actually pretty hot. Then as she apparently carries a lot of anger, which I haven't seen in earlier episodes, it means that she'll do...what exactly? Take revenge? Take over the galaxy?

If there's any justice in the galaxy then this won't get another season.
And where did that 180M $ go!?

Top Bottom