• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Former Jedi who go rogue and use the Dark Side don't count as Sith now? Thanks for letting me know so I can put a massive white out over ep3. Since we already did ep1
Aren’t Sith like their own cult? I don’t think random bad Jedi necessarily count.

But I also think this whole convo is kind of BS green lady is trying to deflect IMO. Seems rather obvious she knows who Qmir is and is his former master and so is throwing out the “Sol went bad” excuse to cover it up.

Now is Qmir merely a former Jedi turned bad or is he a Sith / part of the cult? Who knows.

Either way they’ve conveniently set it up so that there’d be a cover up, hence the “haven’t been seen in a thousand years” line would still work.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I just don't get why they automatically invoked the Sith title in Episode 1 when the only description was bad dude in black with red lighter + Jedi Arts. Immediately you go *gasp* I thought the Sith were gone. So why is it now a guy with the same exact description shows up and says "I guess you might call me a Sith" and it's like nope...why would I assume that?

I suppose there are some ways they could resolve it, but I prefer not to be holding breath on SW plugging plotholes

IntentionalPun

This show is utter nonsense. Just complete gibberish.

It’s impressive how so many tens of millions were spent to produce this garbage. What’s insane is that what we are seeing is what the editors thought was the best footage they could pull together. Imagine how terrible all the b-roll footage is 😆

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I bet the witch that is the same race as Darth Maul, the one that fought Sol, rescues Mae. We didn't see her die onscreen.

Now we know why Kelnacca was painting the witches symbols all over. Either he's traumatized, or there's remnants of those witches' minds in his head.

I bet that Osha heard the entire story because she put that Force-isolating helmet on. She makes a connection with Mae, and voila, Force radio transmission across the galaxy.

So Sol failed for forming an emotional attachment to someone he just met, and Torbid failed for longing too strongly for home. Only Indira knew the correct course of action (and the Council), but then she failed for choosing to lie and cover it all up.

Enjoyable episode as usual. I just wish each episode was longer because it feels like there is going to be too much needs resolution for the final episode. Unless they're planning to make it an hour or something.

Last edited:
I laughed at out loud when the mother lady said in terrible acting: "then I choose mother!!!".

Also the kids repeating "osha ... mae ... osha ... mae" on that bridge at the end was fucking stupid.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I laughed at out loud when the mother lady said in terrible acting: "then I choose mother!!!".

Also the kids repeating "osha ... mae ... osha ... mae" on that bridge at the end was fucking stupid.

She was being strong. It was also bad when she died and said "I would let her go".....

MayauMiao

This show is so dumb. I am now just watching it out of hate. I use to be a light side Jedi but Disney has brought me to the dark side.

I guess The Acolyte is a success.

abXW9.png

Tieno

It's amazing how so many disney plus shows, especially the star wars shows, have so little story and are so lackluster in execution. It feels so much like 'product' to be 'consumed', the bare minimum of what a star wars show can appear to be from an outside perspective.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
It's amazing how so many disney plus shows, especially the star wars shows, have so little story and are so lackluster in execution. It feels so much like 'product' to be 'consumed', the bare minimum of what a star wars show can appear to be from an outside perspective.

So true

I was complaining about this recently too

It's not only Disney Plus shows but other shows like The Boys. There's only 8 to 10 episodes and there's hardly any movement in plot

Examples of shows that use thier runtime in good ways that have 8 to 10 episodes each season and are able to complete their story are Dark (Netflix) and Black Sails

Both shows are good example of only being 3 to 4 seasons with only 8 to 10 episodes each season but having a lot of plot and are fantastic to watch because of that

The only Disney Plus show I can think of so far is just Andor

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

IntentionalPun

Nielsin numbers for the premier released, so predictions based on other analytics seem to line up.

Acolyte is barely ahead of Andor in "viewing minutes". Ouch.

And in an ironic twist of fate, Acolyte barely beat Hitler but lost to the Devil :p

LIRHl5r.jpeg
I think the show should get cancelled but it did have only about an hour of content in its release week.

Going up against stuff like Dancing With the Devil that had 3+ hours of content on a service with over twice as many subs.

And Andor also had 3 hours of content or so at release. So beating it in viewing minutes means at least twice as many viewers.

I’m just happy Andor is getting its second season, and hopefully Feloni keeps his Saturday morning cartoons ass away from the production.

Last edited:

Tieno

So true

I was complaining about this recently too

It's not only Disney Plus shows but other shows like The Boys. There's only 8 to 10 episodes and there's hardly any movement in plot

Examples of shows that use thier runtime in good ways that have 8 to 10 episodes each season and are able to complete their story are Dark (Netflix) and Black Sails

Both shows are good example of only being 3 to 4 seasons with only 8 to 10 episodes each season but having a lot of plot and are fantastic to watch because of that

The only Disney Plus show I can think of so far is just Andor
S4 of The Boys feels like a slog to me too. Hard to get through. I enjoyed Andor quite a bit. Like for example it actually had something interesting (for me at least) to say about what it means to fight for a better future you probably won't get to experience yourself, executed (writing, acting) perfectly through Luthen's monologue. It went beyond just 'product'. I felt that.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The only way for Disney to save Star Wars:

You guessed it. The Adventures of the Fat Jedi spinoff show.

Billions and billions of viewing minutes. Also plenty of marketing tie-ins for Space Doritos and blue milk.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think the show should get cancelled but it did have only about an hour of content in its release week.

Going up against stuff like Dancing With the Devil that had 3+ hours of content on a service with over twice as many subs.

And Andor also had 3 hours of content or so at release. So beating it in viewing minutes means at least twice as many viewers.

I’m just happy Andor is getting its second season, and hopefully Feloni keeps his Saturday morning cartoons ass away from the production.
It is a bit of smoke and mirrors to translate minutes viewed into "complete episodes watched per household" or whatever would be a more accurate metric but they did try to compensate for Andors 3 eps released (660 min total) to Acolytes 2 eps released (488min total) or whatever. Its CLEARLY WAAAAAAAAAAY below the BILLION minutes the single ep of mando s2 got, which was like 5x higher. I would take that at Lucas arts that they are significantly eroding the snowball given them by Mando (as a token of how successful Star Wars TV can be) and go look at the responses on the internet, the plummeting viewership of all the shows after mando s2.

Its a bit of voodoo to interp these numbers, but here is an example of total viewing numbers for most of the recent Star Wars shows

yzsiKzO.jpeg

the blue mando is S2, the green is S3. The shocker here is how well the ATROCIOUS book of Fett did off a ROUGH premier, guess it rode the coattails of mando S2 and those mando sneak eps really boosted it. Though it is really hard to parse these numbers on our side and for sure Disney knows the real numbers.

Anyway, Acolyte is likely on the bottom of this chart, not an ideal place to be for such an expensive show.

IntentionalPun

J jason10mm : ah thanks for the extra context. Honestly with only 2 episodes dropped it’s actually more likely people watched both than all 3 of Andors episodes so the math probably favors Acolyte to just assume you’d divide by episode count.

Now that I looked it up their first 2 episodes combine for the exact same runtime too, for some reason I thought Andors episodes were longer (many are but not the first few.)

Show sucks so I’m glad it’s likely not doing well. That one report was just laughable claiming it is second only to Obi-Wan lol

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The power of many flops
The only way for Disney to save Star Wars:

You guessed it. The Adventures of the Fat Jedi spinoff show.

Billions and billions of viewing minutes. Also plenty of marketing tie-ins for Space Doritos and blue milk.
Not "Fat Jedi", man. "obes-Jedi". He should have a very skinny pal to help in their not so adventurous stories. Chances are thst could do better than Acolyte

Madflavor

Gold Member
I’m not convinced at all that Star Wars can be fixed. It’s like that meme with that painting of Jesus being painted over. Far too much damage has been done.

You would have to hand Star Wars off to an entire new team of execs and creatives. Cancel all shows and future projects. Then start working on one film that take place thousands of years into the future. Far removed from anything we’ve previously seen. Start a fresh clean slate. Then try to make the best film you can.

For me they’ve thoroughly ruined so much of Star Wars and it’s characters that I just don’t care. Even if a good show comes out I don’t care enough. Talking about how shitty Star Wars has become, and how inept current LucasFilm is, is about the extent of how much I care these days.

Last edited:
The power of many flops

Not "Fat Jedi", man. "obes-Jedi". He should have a very skinny pal to help in their not so adventurous stories. Chances are thst could do better than Acolyte
I'm pretty sure even the word 'obese' isn't allowed anymore

Maybe you meant 'body positive Jedi' you CHUD

Trilobit

I’m not convinced at all that Star Wars can be fixed. It’s like that meme with that painting of Jesus being painted over. Far too much damage has been done.

You would have to hand Star Wars off to an entire new team of execs and creatives. Cancel all shows and future projects. Then start working on one film that take place thousands of years into the future. Far removed from anything we’ve previously seen. Start a fresh clean slate. Then try to make the best film you can.

For me they’ve thoroughly ruined so much of Star Wars and it’s characters that I just don’t care. Even if a good show comes out I don’t care enough. Talking about how shitty Star Wars has become, and how inept current LucasFilm is, is about the extent of how much I care these days.

They'd have to give it to Warner Bros. and have people with the talents of the Nolan brothers making a trilogy as good as the Batman trilogy.

The franchise could be so good and each time you heard about an upcoming Star Wars there would be an insane hype. Now I just feel resignation. Like when they decided to make a new Rey movie. With a director who's only made documentaries.

Once it stopped being Star Wars and became Woke Wars, it was already over. You don't try to force a beloved cultural icon like Star Wars into your woke agenda like this and expect people to just accept and allow it. Look at what happened to Indiana Jones for another example

Alex11

Lol, Jedi Masters analyzing moss and grass gave me a good chuckle, this has got to be a new low for them.

An episode full of nonsense, Jesus, also would have expected of a more interesting one, at least, being the penultimate episode and all. What a fucking train wreck.

And that scene where Sol supposedly kills the mother, are we supposed to believe that she tried to let her daughter go by transforming into whatever that was and doing that same thing to her daughter, fucking what?

What Jedi in their right mind wouldn't react that same way seeing that shit. Come on man, do they really think we're a bunch of idiots?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
Once it stopped being Star Wars and became Woke Wars, it was already over. You don't try to force a beloved cultural icon like Star Wars into your woke agenda like this and expect people to just accept and allow it. Look at what happened to Indiana Jones for another example

I don't get how these people think. Actively shunning your fanbase and trying to hyper focus everything around a minority group that never gave a shit. Why not do things to please the fanbase and *expand* upon it to incorporate new ideas that can bring in a larger audience? You don't need one or the other, you can have both.

Its like everyone in Hollywood is fucking retarded.

Madflavor

Gold Member
They'd have to give it to Warner Bros. and have people with the talents of the Nolan brothers making a trilogy as good as the Batman trilogy.

The franchise could be so good and each time you heard about an upcoming Star Wars there would be an insane hype. Now I just feel resignation. Like when they decided to make a new Rey movie. With a director who's only made documentaries.

Sadly Star Wars will never get away from Disney.

Disney/LF needs to scrap all projects for Star Wars, and just make one show. One. Instead of spreading their resources thin, get one A+ team of creatives and production crew together, and make one banger of a show. They could do a mature political war drama that follows a similar format to Game of Thrones. Have a bunch of POV characters from different factions that we'd follow. Republic commandos, young Jedi in training, spies, Republic senators, Sith, etc. That could literally be your Old Republic show. Star Wars is absolutely begging to have it's answer to Game of Thrones or Dune. They're literally sitting on fucking gold and they've been wasting it for 10+ years.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sadly Star Wars will never get away from Disney.

Disney/LF needs to scrap all projects for Star Wars, and just make one show. One. Instead of spreading their resources thin, get one A+ team of creatives and production crew together, and make one banger of a show. They could do a mature political war drama that follows a similar format to Game of Thrones. Have a bunch of POV characters from different factions that we'd follow. Republic commandos, young Jedi in training, spies, Republic senators, Sith, etc. That could literally be your Old Republic show. Star Wars is absolutely begging to have it's answer to Game of Thrones or Dune. They're literally sitting on fucking gold and they've been wasting it for 10+ years.
I don't think lucasarts problem is a lack of resources, I mean, they are throwing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS at these shows and they have a well established team of visual artists and production pros to draw on. They have an enormous library of stories to draw from.

It's pretty obvious the issue is a top leadership driving the shows to target fringe groups, directly neglect the core audience, and allow woke agenda to intrude. They hire rando hippies from outside with little experience and shocker, they get crap results. Imagine a star wars show made by the folks that made Strike Back, Spartacus, Banshee, Warrior, Seal Team, Terminal List, The Unit, or any other of dozens of action shows instead of handing the reigns to niche art house directors.

This doesn't really explain WTF happened with Robert Rodriguez and Fett as that should have been a match made in heaven but consider Andor a better example :p

This doesn't really explain WTF happened with Robert Rodriguez and Fett as that should have been a match made in heaven
He pulled a Spy Kids instead of a Sin City.

Fett was tarnished in RotJ and subsequently ruined in the prequels by Lucas anyway. Rodriguez merely completed what Lucas started, so now the character is totally irredeemable.

ESB Fett was Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name - that's why he was a fan favorite. The story of Fett coming "back to life" should've just been A Fistful of Dollars on Tatooine while leaving it ambiguous as to if the "real Fett" was in the armor or not. That's what he originally was - instead of the nameless merc he was faceless.

Favreau knew this when he pitched The Mandalorian. The template for Din Djarin is literally ESB FETT - the success of that show speaks for itself. Favreau is the only executive I've seen that truly understands what made a SW character popular, including George Lucas himself. Unfortunately, he couldn't use Fett because Lucas ruined the original character. However, the popularity of Grogu and Disney's "vision" has ruined The Mandalorian now too. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

clem84

Gold Member
Ep1 - ep7 spoilers

I'm just wondering at this point if it wouldn't have been better to tell the story without these constant back and forth between present and 16 years ago. I don't know. Open the show with the bar scene where carrie-anne moss gets killed by Mae, then go 16 years before and tell the whole story. This idea of telling bits of story in different times has worked before in other shows I've seen, but here I'm not sure it does. It might've made the show less confusing.

I don't hate the show. The story is interesting at times. I still find the events in the past where the entire tribe dies to be pretty nonsensical. I hope the last show brings us closure on this story and these characters and that it won't be a cliffhanger type of finale.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I dont know who this Grace Randolph is but her expressions, voice, thought to speech process is so irritating

She has some bizarre unnatural hatred for Jessica Chastain, and hates all things Disney after she was allegedly fired by Marvel. She used to run the Marvel Watcher YouTube show, but as a contractor and the story goes that Ike Perlmutter had a policy that contractors could not put that they were a Marvel employee on their resume, she did and that was it.

Dr. Claus

Banned
She has some bizarre unnatural hatred for Jessica Chastain, and hates all things Disney after she was allegedly fired by Marvel. She used to run the Marvel Watcher YouTube show, but as a contractor and the story goes that Ike Perlmutter had a policy that contractors could not put that they were a Marvel employee on their resume, she did and that was it.

You mean like you and any youtuber that criticizes Star Wars?

Jaybe

It is a bit of smoke and mirrors to translate minutes viewed into "complete episodes watched per household" or whatever would be a more accurate metric but they did try to compensate for Andors 3 eps released (660 min total) to Acolytes 2 eps released (488min total) or whatever. Its CLEARLY WAAAAAAAAAAY below the BILLION minutes the single ep of mando s2 got, which was like 5x higher. I would take that at Lucas arts that they are significantly eroding the snowball given them by Mando (as a token of how successful Star Wars TV can be) and go look at the responses on the internet, the plummeting viewership of all the shows after mando s2.

Its a bit of voodoo to interp these numbers, but here is an example of total viewing numbers for most of the recent Star Wars shows

yzsiKzO.jpeg

the blue mando is S2, the green is S3. The shocker here is how well the ATROCIOUS book of Fett did off a ROUGH premier, guess it rode the coattails of mando S2 and those mando sneak eps really boosted it. Though it is really hard to parse these numbers on our side and for sure Disney knows the real numbers.

Anyway, Acolyte is likely on the bottom of this chart, not an ideal place to be for such an expensive show.

Latest streaming data came out today, week ending June 16th:

Original Series

1. Bridgerton, 3.47 billion minutes
2. The Boys, 1.19 billion
3. Sweet Tooth, 971 million
4. Perfect Match (Netflix), 802 million
5. Evil (Netflix/Paramount+), 449 million
6. The Acolyte (Disney+), 370 million
7. Eric (Netflix), 367 million
8. Hitler and the Nazis: Evil on Trial (Netflix), 314 million
9. Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount+), 298 million
10. Futurama (Hulu), 241 million

Seems like it’s tracking around Andor levels.

Kitbash

Lol, Jedi Masters analyzing moss and grass gave me a good chuckle, this has got to be a new low for them.
And they'd been doing it for 7 weeks before the padawan thought to ask why.

This show has well and truly crossed over into "so bad it's good" territory. Jedi Master gets teased about not having a padawan, and in the very next scene meets a child he feels compelled to kidnap so she can be his padawan. Top tier storytelling.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The power of many flops

I would unironically watch a light-hearted buddy cop Jedi show with the Fat Jedi. He's trying to lose weight or he gets tossed from the Jedi Order, but he loves giant sandwiches from Naboo or some shit. Get on that Disney and redeem yourselves.

Trilobit

I would unironically watch a light-hearted buddy cop Jedi show with the Fat Jedi. He's trying to lose weight or he gets tossed from the Jedi Order, but he loves giant sandwiches from Naboo or some shit. Get on that Disney and redeem yourselves.

And then in the end of season 1 it's revealed that he's actually a hateful sith pretending to be goofy.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Latest streaming data came out today, week ending June 16th:

Original Series

1. Bridgerton, 3.47 billion minutes
2. The Boys, 1.19 billion
3. Sweet Tooth, 971 million
4. Perfect Match (Netflix), 802 million
5. Evil (Netflix/Paramount+), 449 million
6. The Acolyte (Disney+), 370 million
7. Eric (Netflix), 367 million
8. Hitler and the Nazis: Evil on Trial (Netflix), 314 million
9. Mayor of Kingstown (Paramount+), 298 million
10. Futurama (Hulu), 241 million

Seems like it’s tracking around Andor levels.

Andor had the excuse of being about a character nobody cared about, and being a much slower and thought provoking story. The Acolyte on the other hand appeals more to the general masses with it being very Jedi focused. You've got the guy from Squid Game which was a global smash hit, Carrie Ann Moss, lightsabers everywhere, a Wookie Jedi, and it was a brand new story set in a different time period. And yet it's doing Andor levels of viewership. Right now they're filming The Mandalorian and Grogu, but if that doesn't do well at the box office, then at that point Disney Star Wars is in serious fucking trouble.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Andor had the excuse of being about a character nobody cared about, and being a much slower and thought provoking story. The Acolyte on the other hand appeals more to the general masses with it being very Jedi focused. You've got the guy from Squid Game which was a global smash hit, Carrie Ann Moss, lightsabers everywhere, a Wookie Jedi, and it was a brand new story set in a different time period. And yet it's doing Andor levels of viewership. Right now they're filming The Mandalorian and Grogu, but if that doesn't do well at the box office, then at that point Disney Star Wars is in serious fucking trouble.

They should hire Tony Gilroy to be the head of Lucafilm

He actually makes great movies and shows. Andor is fantastic in everything: Script, CGI, Music (especially), etc

It's a mistake on their part to let him go after he finishes Andor

Top Bottom