• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT15| - Equine, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Quick question.

The last couple of weeks i've been seeing the term "alt left/right" but i'm don't know what it means in relation to traditional left/right political philosophies.

Would someone explain it to me please.

I hope i'm not coming across as obtuse, i genuinely don't know.
Really good (and depressing) post Mufasa.

The clip looks really familiar, i think i might of seen the documentary it's from.

I've never been to Carnival before.

cdyhybrid

Quick question.

The last couple of weeks i've been seeing the term "alt left/right" but i'm don't know what it means in relation to traditional left/right political philosophies.

Would someone explain it to me please.

I hope i'm not coming across as obtuse, i genuinely don't know.

Basically they're right- or left-wingers but don't necessarily consider themselves part of the mainstream party on their side. Or they don't fully align with it. Often go further in their direction than the mainstream party, which (usually) tends to lean towards the center.

Think Breitbart (alt right) and Bernie Bros (alt left).

Kreed

"i believe in science" should not be a fucking talking point. it should not be divisive. but somehow it is. smh

Neither should black issues, which should just be issues everyone wants to solve. Another of a long list of reasons why I am looking forward to the Republican party losing badly and they start actually trying to get "old black" votes.

Slayven

Yeah there were a lot of republicans and independents there.

That said, I don't want to hear a goddamned thing about Michael "Stop and Frisk keeps New York safe" Bloomberg

Yeah and all those Miltary folks there talking and showing. And not on some Benghazi fuck shit, it is a mark play for moderates and independents. I mean ALOT of RNC heavy hitters just stayed home and washed their hair last week, that has to translate into some republicans just staying home in November

Kreed

Yeah and all those Miltary folks there talking and showing. And not on some Benghazi fuck shit, it is a mark play for moderates and independents. I mean ALOT of RNC heavy hitters just stayed home and washed their hair last week, that has to translate into some republicans just staying home in November

Something something Brexit something something Wall Street Journal Poll something something

Morning..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/15/britains-most-racist-election-smethwick-50-years-on

This was going on in the constituency next to the one my Mom was involved in for Labour.

Strange. I was lead to believe racism was an American thing. White people called black folks nigger overseas!? I don't know what to believe anymore..😒

Seems that the DNC has turned some staunch Hillary haters around on her. Took long enough. Maybe we might actually have a chance to not fuck up the country

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
that would be an awesome experience

Yeah I'm pretty hyped. Heres a link to his lecture i'll be going to.

I'm definitely a fan. Heres my collection. I'm missing a couple covers. :( (#2 and the #1 connect variant)
azkc0ht.jpg

steelfreeze is also coming out with an artbook in sept. hyped.

Yeah there were a lot of republicans and independents there.

That said, I don't want to hear a goddamned thing about Michael "Stop and Frisk keeps New York safe" Bloomberg

It's funny.

Those Busters yelled "No TPP" over Elijah Cummings...who is against TPP. They messed with Marcia Fudge enough that she had to tell them to put some respeck on her name.

They yelled "No More War" over Leon Panetta.

But here comes Michael Bloomberg, not too long after Panetta, and they are silent, save for a few people from the Texas delegation who yelled at him...after his speech as he was walking off the stage.

The Busters are bustas.

D i Z

G'mornin all.

GOP having a melt down after the DNC.

Britain doesn't remember. At least white Britain doesn't. Everyone else does because it's always been there.

It's funny.

Those Busters yelled "No TPP" over Elijah Cummings...who is against TPP. They messed with Marcia Fudge enough that she had to tell them to put some respeck on her name.

But here comes Michael Bloomberg, not too long after Panetta, and they are silent, save for a few people from the Texas delegation who yelled at him...after his speech as he was walking off the stage.

The Busters are bustas.

Crocodile

This might sound hella negative but threads like that reinforce my belief that game quality is going to suffer as more gamers try to view the demand for diverse casts and less sexualization more sexuality as the enemy. The pushback is taking effect as we're seeing defense of deliberate sexualization because some gamers are under the impression "feminism" will change their waifus, instead of agreeing that designs could use more variety to cater to a wider audience. We are seeing more "My taste isn't shit" when no one's saying that in the first place.

I think the most disappointment is seeing a character like Chun Li suddenly be categorized with the likes of Mai Shiranui or DOA girls. I never thought I would see the day.

People can say what they want about Tekken having school girls or anime but dammit I am so happy the cast is as diverse as it is and relying more on being flashy than sexually titillating. I find that odd in a game about beating the shit out of someone. Unless it's customization because that's fun and obviously the goal has changed from violence to lol da fuck you wearing

I meant to reply to this yesterday but I forgot so sorry for dragging this up a bit.

To the bolded I would say that some people are def saying that but that certainly isn't what most people are saying or trying to say. Overall, I'm not sure I understand your fears though - I've never seen gaming go backwards in terms of representation or whatever, only forwards. Why would that change in the future? I will say I'm sometimes not entirely sure what some people want. I know this is piggy backing off that fighting game thread from a while back but a point I felt often got ignored was that for all the issues you could prescribe to the genre, it actually still is the best genre (or among the best) for representation. The needs of making a cast that appeals to a lot of players pushes developers to make diverse casts. I refuse to believe most people, even those who own body pillows or whatever nonsense, actually have a problem with cast diversity - humanity isn't that far gone. On the flip side, I often have no idea what would satisfy some people other than "never sexualize ever!" which I don't think is reasonable position or even necessary to do even if your goal is to make a more broadly appealing product.

Also, putting aside that Chun-Li and Mai Shiranui have always been kind of company rivals, I disagree that Chun has been treated or displayed any worse now than in the past. She has been treated the same as she has always been. She's still one of the premier female characters of gaming. Samus wishes she was being treated as well as Chun-Li currently is :(

"i believe in science" should not be a fucking talking point. it should not be divisive. but somehow it is. smh

Yeah that line really stuck out to me. Dear God how far the GOP has fallen :(

It's funny.

The Busters are bustas.

I dunno how much of it is coincidence (since there are so many minority and women speakers at the DNC, if you start throwing darts blindfolded you are going to hit a lot of them) but I def noticed they seemed to disproportionatly mess with women and minority speakers. Was always a bad look on top of just being dumb in general. It's always why I get a bit apprehensive when some say those sorts of people are the future of the Democratic party. Like we 100% sure that's a good thing? Are we sure this small subset of people won't start fucking things up?

These are some powerful images. It's been a crazy couple of months/years.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I meant to reply to this yesterday but I forgot so sorry for dragging this up a bit.

To the bolded I would say that some people are def saying that but that certainly isn't what most people are saying or trying to say. Overall, I'm not sure I understand your fears though - I've never seen gaming go backwards in terms of representation or whatever, only forwards. Why would that change in the future? I will say I'm sometimes not entirely sure what some people want. I know this is piggy backing off that fighting game thread from a while back but a point I felt often got ignored was that for all the issues you could prescribe to the genre, it actually still is the best genre (or among the best) for representation. The needs of making a cast that appeals to a lot of players pushes developers to make diverse casts. I refuse to believe most people, even those who own body pillows or whatever nonsense, actually have a problem with cast diversity - humanity isn't that far gone. On the flip side, I often have no idea what would satisfy some people other than "never sexualize ever!" which I don't think is reasonable position or even necessary to do even if your goal is to make a more broadly appealing product.

Also, putting aside that Chun-Li and Mai Shiranui have always been kind of company rivals, I disagree that Chun has been treated or displayed any worse now than in the past. She has been treated the same as she has always been. She's still one of the premier female characters of gaming. Samus wishes she was being treated as well as Chun-Li currently is :(

It's fine :)

The bolded is why I have my concerns. Any criticism aimed at the dislike for sexualization in favor of sexuality is frequently mistaken for "no sexy ever". You don't want sexualization. Trust me, that's how characters like Quiet come to exist.

I'm worried because this misunderstanding leads to frequent prude accusations and people feeling ostracized for liking sexy content however agreeing some designs take it too far. There's no need for the latter to feel ostracized by the former or for the former to be mistaken for prudes by the latter.

Hopefully this will get worked out soon.

Also I guess you are right about Chun. I asked a long term fan of SF who explained it the same. I didn't know she was Mai's rival lol my mistake.

Mizerman

Also I guess you are right about Chun. I asked a long term fan of SF who explained it the same. I didn't know she was Mai's rival lol my mistake.

Oh yeah. Back when Capcom and SNK were competing, Chun and Mai were direct rivals due to their popularity. Especially when Capcom vs SNK came out.

was curious what Fox news were cutting to when Khizr Khan was speaking yesterday.
I'm not at all surprised at their tactics, but this level of propaganda is just foul.

I wish I was surprised at the behavior of Fox Noise, but I would be lying.

This is pretty upsetting. Fuck her and that shit company she works for. I'd say indefensible, but I'm sure if I made a thread some niggas would show their assess..

Oh, you know they would without a shadow of a doubt.

harSon

Banned
I was kicking it with a girl I met on Tinder, and we got on the subject of race. She asked me what I was and I told her. But this girl... This girl clearly has black ancestry, and was like "I'm half danish and half American."
comeon.png

Shy

Basically they're right- or left-wingers but don't necessarily consider themselves part of the mainstream party on their side. Or they don't fully align with it. Often go further in their direction than the mainstream party, which (usually) tends to lean towards the center.

Think Breitbart (alt right) and Bernie Bros (alt left).
Ahhh. Gotcha.

Thank you.
Morning..
G'mornin all..
Morning. 😃
yakubian devils
NtUg6k9.gif

I was kicking it with a girl I met on Tinder, and we got on the subject of race. She asked me what I was and I told her. But this girl... This girl clearly has black ancestry, and was like "I'm half danish and half American."
comeon.png

You matched with that girl from Legends of Tomorrow on Tinder? lol

Had a dude at my high school who was the darkest nigga you've ever seen. His race according to him?

"I'm not black, I'm French!"

There was another one who was glad to sit by while white students shat on black people because he was "Irish", not black.

Crazy how many hoops some folks jump through to deny their blackness. Not like they're fooling anyone else though.

Slayven

It's funny.

The Busters are bustas.

Thank god there are so few

Mizerman

It's funny.

The Busters are bustas.

At the very least, they'll fade into irrelevancy while latching on to another.

I finally got to watch Barack's speech and these people yelling over him in the crowd pissed me off. When a historic speech is happening, people need to shut the fuck up and listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom