• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Imm0rt4l

Zoe Saldana in blackface? someone put up the Slayven signal, we need a new thread.

I think the term blackface shouldn't be used so cavalierly. It's not blackface, it's make up, it would be disingenuous to not make her skin darker. Personally I'm more offended at them not getting a really talented actress to play her.

harSon

Banned
Did a search, don't believe this has been posted on gaf yet, I just saw it myself.

New Photos Of Zoe Saldana In Full Nina Simone Regalia Surface; Convinced?

Clearly in dark make-up (Blackface?) Looks like they also gave her a nose prosthetic. Not even really necessary, Saldana doesn't have a "traditional European nose" really...is this a fucking joke?

All of this, instead of just casting someone that actually looked more similar to the real Nina. I understand that plenty of roles require people to change their appearance in tons of different ways...but this whole thing just feels like they're taking the piss, especially considering that she just should not have been cast in this role.

And of course, when it bombs, our community will have to hear shit about "See, we made a movie for you guys but you didn't support it!"

I didn't ax for this.

Our marginalization in the media and society at large feels like an all time high (Yes, even with Obama). Mid-budget movies in general are dying. Disney doesn't fuck with us. No presence in the indie scene. Other groups have that "token diversity spot" now. I feel like things are just getting worse and worse. It's fucking over. Please support Flight guys.

I wonder if they'll transform all of her love interests into white men, to keep up with the tradition of only pairing Zoe Saldana up with white men. How long has it been since she's been with a black dude? Drumline?

I wonder if they'll transform all of her love interests into white men, to keep up with the tradition of only pairing Zoe Saldana up with white men. How long has it been since she's been with a black dude? Drumline?

I've heard that they are changing the love interest which the Simone family wasn't happy about.

And Zoe Saldana is a mess. I liked her until she started tweeted that people don't want her in the role because its reverse racism.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
She just comes across as an unpleasant person to me. I usually reserve such judgments for celebrities because--hell, I don't know them. However, just reading up on the things that she has said, it just really puts me off.

Damn son! Look at what you did soundscream!

obama-on-phone.jpg

Kreed

I think the term blackface shouldn't be used so cavalierly. It's not blackface, it's make up, it would be disingenuous to not make her skin darker. Personally I'm more offended at them not getting a really talented actress to play her.

It's blackface. Just because she's black/it's good for the role since she is of a different skin tone doesn't give it a pass (and definitely not for it being disingenuous to make her skin darker, that's the whole point of blackface). Hell with the changes they've done to her skin, nose, lips, and hair, this situation is a more appropriate use of the term blackface than any other blackface incident in recent years.

brah, this is business. name another black female actress that looks any more like her that will move box office tickets. Your only other option at this point in time is...Halle Berry. Angela Basett ain't moving tickets. Gugu ain't moving tickets. Gabrielle Union ain't moving tickets. Hollywood money sure as hell isn't going to cast the dice on an unknown.

It's all about the benji's and franklins.

Except in Zoe's case, it's her looks that sells those tickets, not her name. If you're going to make her look like a completely different person, you may as well have gotten someone else to play the part and save on the make up budget.

I just think Zoe is young and uninformed. Unlike Stacy Dash who is 176 years old and should know better.

I don't know how....but I think I can connect Dash's stupidity to being on the receiving end of some of the world's most shameless simps. Not sure how....but I think it's possible.

Imm0rt4l

It's blackface. Just because she's black/it's good for the role since she is of a different skin tone doesn't give it a pass (and definitely not for it being disingenuous to make her skin darker, that's the whole point of blackface). Hell with the changes they've done to her skin, nose, lips, and hair, this situation is a more appropriate use of the term blackface than any other blackface incident in recent years.

It's not shoe polish on her face, the makeup isn't used in a means to denigrate an entire race or lampoon her. You aren't going to see her tapdancing and eating watermelon, it gets a pass. we aren't talking about Angelina Jolie playing a black woman, we're talking about a black woman who is not dark enough to play the part of the woman she is playing.

Onemic

It's not shoe polish on her face, the makeup isn't used in a means to denigrate an entire race or lampoon her. You aren't going to see her tapdancing and eating watermelon, it gets a pass. we aren't talking about Angelina Jolie playing a black woman, we're talking about a black woman who is not dark enough to play the part of the woman she is playing.

Doesn't she not even consider herself black?

Kreed

http://www.afrobella.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nina-simone-1.jpg[img]

[img]http://sportyafros.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/viola-davis-1.jpg[img]

Instead this pouty shit

[img]http://i.imgur.com/uKwCS.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Starring Viola Davis, nominated for two Academy Awards including best Actress for the Help...throw that in a trailer and you're good to go.

[quote="Imm0rt4l, post: 44317969"]It's not shoe polish on her face, the makeup isn't used in a means to denigrate an entire race or lampoon her. You aren't going to see her tapdancing and eating watermelon, it gets a pass. we aren't talking about Angelina Jolie playing a black woman, we're talking about a black woman who is not dark enough to play the part of the woman she is playing.[/QUOTE]

We all know what the "traditional/original" definition of blackface was. How the term is currently used today fits what's going on in this situation, regardless of Zoe's ethnicity. And unless we see something on the level of Cloud Atlas in regards to story reasons for the use of "face" make up vs hiring appropriate actors, this doesn't deserve a pass.

Imm0rt4l

nina-simone-1.jpg

http://sportyafros.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/viola-davis-1.jpg[img]

Instead this pouty shit

[img]http://i.imgur.com/uKwCS.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

dat colorism

[quote="Slayven, post: 44318292"]Reminds me, I need to see Colmbina or whatever it is called. Those shots of her firing heavy COD shit makes me laugh.[/QUOTE]

Colombiana was a very forgettable movie.

Imm0rt4l

I know at least two personally.

Do they have aspergers by any chance? I picture a lot of bronies as being very socially awkward.

Starring Viola Davis, nominated for two Academy Awards including best Actress for the Help...throw that in a trailer and you're good to go.

We all know what the "traditional/original" definition of blackface was. How the term is currently used today fits what's going on in this situation, regardless of Zoe's ethnicity. And unless we see something on the level of Cloud Atlas in regards to story reasons for the use of "face" make up vs hiring appropriate actors, this doesn't deserve a pass.

No it doesn't. And yes their is a story reason, the woman was dark skinned. You'd rather they white wash this? seriously? It's perfectly justifiable to use prosthetics and makeup on an actor. Look at Anthony Hopkins playing Hitchcock. You're looking at this entirely wrong, if anything you should be weighing the opportunity costs of having an intellectually disingenuous biopic that is essentially white washed for viewing pleasure or making a black woman look the part.

ReiGun

Y'all hang out at KFC?

Like I'd ever take a brony to a fine establishment like KFC.

Do they have aspergers by any chance? I picture a lot of bronies as being very socially awkward.
One might. He's very socially awkward. Does most of his socializing by taking pictures at anime cons/raves or on facebook. He's a pretty nice guy, but completely lacking in any social ability.

The other has a thriving social life. He seems to be more on the "relatively normal nerd who just happens to like cartoon ponies" end of the brony spectrum.

Kreed

No it doesn't. And yes their is a story reason, the woman was dark skinned. You'd rather they white wash this? seriously? It's perfectly justifiable to use prosthetics and makeup on an actor. Look at Anthony Hopkins playing Hitchcock.

Are you seriously trying to imply the bolded is the only option they had for this movie? Did you NOT just quote Devo talking about Viola Davis playing the role for the simple fact that she has darker skin and matches Nina Simone's look better than Zoe does (and can actually act)? Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, there isn't a shortage of darker skinned black female actresses.

And the excuses you're giving for this use of "make up" is exactly how black face was able to survive in it's current incarnation long after the "lampooning an entire race" years. Instead of hiring actors that look like the ethnicity of the character trying to be portrayed, they dressed up (usually white) actors to look the part of the other ethnic group in make up (from Short Circuit to films like 300). The only difference in this situation is Zoe is black and has less "African" features. There isn't a legitimate story reason to do this vs hiring someone who looks more like Nina Simone.

Imm0rt4l

Are you seriously trying to imply the bolded is the only option they had for this movie? Did you NOT just quote Devo talking about Viola Davis playing the role for the simple fact that she has darker skin and matches Nina Simone's look better than Zoe does (and can actually act)? Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, there isn't a shortage of darker skinned black female actresses.

And the excuses you're giving for this use of "make up" is exactly how black face was able to survive in it's current incarnation long after the "lampooning an entire race" years. Instead of hiring actors that look like the ethnicity of the character trying to be portrayed, they dressed up (usually white) actors to look the part of the other ethnic group in make up (from Short Circuit to films like 300). The only difference in this situation is Zoe is black and has less "African" features. There isn't a legitimate story reason to do this vs hiring someone who looks more like Nina Simone.

lastking2.jpg

Forrest whitaker is a sellout confirmed.

Imm0rt4l

If a black actor like Will Smith had been cast in place of Forrest Whitaker, I'd give you that one.

Cop Out. Whitaker is much lighter than in that pic, the amount of shades in the transformation is pretty damned comparable to Zoe to her Nina look. Hell, Zoe Saldana is naturally darker than Will Smith.

Top Bottom