• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Kreed

Why is the anime discussion so surprising? Considering this is the black culture thread and is male dominated it really shouldn't be (especially if there's martial arts/ninjas involved). There's a reason shows like Afro Samurai and Boondocks get made/are styled the way they are.

Onemic

Why is the anime discussion so surprising? Considering this is the black culture thread and is male dominated it really shouldn't be (especially if there's martial arts/ninjas involved). There's a reason shows like Afro Samurai and Boondocks get made/are styled the way they are.

Wu-Tang exists.

All that needs to be said.

I dunno some animes have fucked up representations of black people too.

Its not all bad, but sometimes this place turns into the black otaku culture thread |OT|

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is gonna seem out of the blue, but Adam is fuckin' godlike in Streets of Rage Remake.

my favorite character in the first. it would have been nice to have seen him actually used in the others instead of a damn kangaroo, but he was utilized well in remake

my favorite character in the first. it would have been nice to have seen him actually used in the others instead of a damn kangaroo, but he was utilized well in remake

He and Ash are the only characters I haven't beaten the game with. I tried playing with Skate again, but I just can't move that fast anymore.

I fully expect if there is a JLA movie, movie Batman stans will cut themselves.

What a lovely avatar.

W0ZNg.jpg

I had this idea in my head What if batman doesnt reveal his identity in the whole thing, they just cast some nameless new actor who does badass shit throughout and either only reveal him right at the end or in a rebooted batman movie. I dont know which actor would go for that

ReiGun

I'm the most concerned about Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

In the case of the former, it's if he even gets to be on the team and if he is, will they spend the whole movie desperately being like "No. Trust us. Aquaman is cool!" In the case of the latter, it's the fact that DC never knows what to do with poor Diana.

As long as they use the best GL I'm good

That's not Kyle Rayner.

Hey.

Stop that.

Dear Batman, I wrote you but still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin'

"This isn't the Nolanverse! I don't know how to deal with this!"

Actually, they'll probably just write him as Bat-God and everything will be okay.

Pretty much. Batman fandom will override any reasoning Nolan gave for why a hyper-competent, unrealistic Batman isn't suited for movies. Assuming that this hypothetical version of Batman doesn't suck, people will lose their damn minds.

And there will still be no Robin. Not even a tie in for the Young Justice TV show since, y'know, it's canceled. Like everything else I seem to like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I came across this article the other day:
Small Business Saturday Gives Black-Owned Stores A Boost, But Retail Still A Hard Sell

It's an interesting article, and it details some of the issues with black retail in general. But this part of it caught my attention:

Maggie Anderson, who wrote the book Our Black Year chronicling her family's attempt to shop only at black-owned businesses for 365 days, said that black entrepreneurs have trouble in the retail sector. She blames that difficulty on a lack of access to capital, mentors and networks, and on the "sometimes arbitrary and latent racism" that keeps many businesses from even getting off the ground.

"Black business owners have to do what any other business owner has to do in order to succeed," Anderson told HuffPost Black Voices earlier this year. "The difference is that it is harder for a black business owner even when they do exactly what any other entrepreneur does," she said.

In their 2008 book Race and Entrepreneurial Success, economists Robert W. Fairlie and Alicia M. Robb made a similar point. Conducting in-depth research on why businesses owned by Asian-American entrepreneurs tend to be more successful than those owned by white and black entrepreneurs, Fairlie and Robb found that a high level of startup capital was the most important factor in the Asian business success while too little startup capital contributed to black businesses' relative lack of success.

It reminded me of a post from the "buy Black" thread back in February made by ChiTownBuffalo:

The banking practices are discriminatory against immigrants as well. I mean, I can only speak for the Korean community, but seeing as how many Korean started off having businesses in black neighborhoods, it applies.

Korean skirted commercial bank lending by using something called a ggeh. This was a communcal pool of money. Every business owner would put money into the ggeh and then when a new family came to start a business, money form the ggeh would be removed and given to that new family to start a business of their own. In retrun, that new family would also make payments to the ggeh.

The ggeh wasn't just used for business startups, but also in lieu for insurance or emergency issues that the business owners would agree too.

Also a practice is, say I ran a dry cleaners, but I had made my moeny and I wanted to get out of the dry clening game, or move out to the burbs for better schools. I would sell my business to another new immigrant family to take over. And the deal was, is that the new family didn't have to pay me money up front for it. But they would pay me once a month and then eventually buy the business from me.

So now I'm interested in the idea of communal support.
I've seen black business owners help out immigrants from their own country or within their community in a similar way to what Chi posted, with varying degrees of success, mostly in the restaurant sector. But I've never really heard of anything like the ggeh before. Would any of you happen to know of something equivalent to the ggeh that's practiced by blacks in the US? I know that some of the older folks who migrate from the islands still practice 'partner', but that's usually just for bills, and it's almost strictly between friends and co-workers; it's definitely not community-oriented, at least not the way that Chi posited in his post. It would help to counteract some of the more blatant discriminatory practices, at least.

G-Fex

I don't know why people bash game systems that aren't even bad or awful. Like this idiot who told me in gaming side that it's a loser and gaf bashes losers.

I mean seriously, it's stupid, why isn't like some tv show that people love and don't want to see canceled? Why must it be just something the majority just shit on cause 'LOL Vita has no games'?

I don't know why people bash game systems that aren't even bad or awful. Like this idiot who told me in gaming side that it's a loser and gaf bashes losers.

I mean seriously, it's stupid, why isn't like some tv show that people love and don't want to see canceled? Why must it be just something the majority just shit on cause 'LOL Vita has no games'?

The Big Bang Theory deserves to be cancelled and banned from Earth, like some Fahrenheit 451 shit.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
We need to get back on the bigger issues guys. Only reason all this bickering and such started is because we got drama starved after the election ended, nothing going on and suddenly sugar grits post every day and television opinion wars. Remember just a few weeks ago:

A5BEypuCUAIat1j.jpg

SousedLouse said:
So now I'm interested in the idea of communal support.
I've seen black business owners help out immigrants from their own country or within their community in a similar way to what Chi posted, with varying degrees of success, mostly in the restaurant sector. But I've never really heard of anything like the ggeh before. Would any of you happen to know of something equivalent to the ggeh that's practiced by blacks in the US? I know that some of the older folks who migrate from the islands still practice 'partner', but that's usually just for bills, and it's almost strictly between friends and co-workers; it's definitely not community-oriented, at least not the way that Chi posited in his post. It would help to counteract some of the more blatant discriminatory practices, at least.
That Chi post is excellent. I had no idea things like ggeh existed but it's a brilliant idea and really shows strong community support can break through institutionalized adversity. I'm not sure how it would be implemented for black culture though.

Chi's post was very insightful.

I've heard of immigrants doing similar things but not to such a well organized extent. I've heard of giving housing in exchange for labor or a low level job for eventual payment or upfront payday.

If you could get a group of low income Americans into a system like Chi described, it could be successful. It feels like a well off person would be necessary for a initial investment though.

I would love the opportunity to put something like that together or just lend a hand in setting it up or operating it to some degree.

Onemic

The funny thing is, being a 3DS owner, at this point in the time the vita actually has more good games available for it than the 3DS. People just want to see it fail.

That Chi post is excellent. I had no idea things like ggeh existed but it's a brilliant idea and really shows strong community support can break through institutionalized adversity. I'm not sure how it would be implemented for black culture though.

But its racist though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The funny thing is, being a 3DS owner, at this point in the time the vita actually has more good games available for it than the 3DS. People just want to see it fail.

my 3ds sits charging. i havent touched it in weeks.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
But its racist though.
"Just because all the businesses I support HAPPEN TO ALL BE WHITE doesn't mean I only support white business. If blacks were more entrepreneurial they would have just as many businesses but they are too busy taking handouts from Obama to build a business. You know what else is really racist? Affirmative Action. The answer to discrimination ain't to turn away honest white folk and give jobs to people who don't deserve 'em."

G-Fex

what do ya'll drink or eat when you feel nauseous?

I got dizzy at work shrink wrapping a pallet and it was the bad kind that makes me sick, scared I bought 7-up and soup and crackers cause I don't want to get sick and puke.

I think i'm qutting energy drinks for good now.

Onemic

"Just because all the businesses I support HAPPEN TO ALL BE WHITE doesn't mean I only support white business. If blacks were more entrepreneurial they would have just as many businesses but they are too busy taking handouts from Obama to build a business. You know what else is really racist? Affirmative Action. The answer to discrimination ain't to turn away honest white folk and give jobs to people who don't deserve 'em."

Someone actually posted that?

what do ya'll drink or eat when you feel nauseous?

I got dizzy at work shrink wrapping a pallet and it was the bad kind that makes me sick, scared I bought 7-up and soup and crackers cause I don't want to get sick and puke.

I think i'm qutting energy drinks for good now.

I don't eat or drink anything except maybe water. Eating anything usually makes it worse.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Someone actually posted that?

I don't eat or drink anything except maybe water. Eating anything usually makes it worse.
It was fiction, but I tried to fit in as many tropes, false logic and blame displacement into one post as possible so I could cover all the bases.

Energy drinks are terrible for you.

G-Fex

It was fiction, but I tried to fit in as many tropes, false logic and blame displacement into one post as possible so I could cover all the bases.

Energy drinks are terrible for you.

and I was stupid enough to almost daily drink them for years.

Ugh no wonder my body is fucked up.

I had this idea in my head What if batman doesnt reveal his identity in the whole thing, they just cast some nameless new actor who does badass shit throughout and either only reveal him right at the end or in a rebooted batman movie. I dont know which actor would go for that

sounds cool but this is real life son...even if there was no rumor mill, i doubt a cape and cowl would keep us from figuring out who is playing batman under the mask...

imagine trying that shit with clark kent in real life. we would be like, c'mon clark you ain't foolin nobody.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
sounds cool but this is real life son...even if there was no rumor mill, i doubt a cape and cowl would keep us from figuring out who is playing batman under the mask...

imagine trying that shit with clark kent in real life. we would be like, c'mon clark you ain't foolin nobody.
Once he puts on those glasses he looks like a completely different person! lol All the heroes would be like that.

"you just happened to be the ONLY photographer in NYC who gets candid shots of spiderman?"

"bruce what are you doing with all your free time"

Once he puts on those glasses he looks like a completely different person! lol All the heroes would be like that.

"you just happened to be the ONLY photographer in NYC who gets candid shots of spiderman?"

"bruce what are you doing with all your free time"

bruce could do what the fuck he wants with all his free time. he's a billionaire.

spider-man could very well be friends with parker and tip him off.

superman is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom