• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Slayven

Sometimes I wish I was not such a huge nerd, that I could get into sports. Some of my favorite podcasts enjoy going ham on the subject. Especially on RG3.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sometimes I wish I was not such a huge nerd, that I could get into sports. Some of my favorite podcasts enjoy going ham on the subject. Especially on RG3.
Deadspin.com is a good place to start. It focuses on sports, but it's also slightly nerdy as well

Slayven

I cant understand not liking sports. It just doesn't register with me.

I don't hate them. I just don't have the patience to sit through most games. When i was a kid I was a braves and a giants fan. But rarely watched a game, but keep up with the scores and shit.

I don't like certain sports at all...just imagine that feeling for every sport.

Growing up I didn't like any but played basketball every day and watched the playoffs with my dad. Took a few years to click even being exposed to it a ton.

ecurbj

I wasn't into watching sports growing up. My step-father tried his best to get me to watch NBA games with him. I refused and would revert to the NBA video games instead. I was a huge WWE fan and watched wrestling with him but that was it.

He was trying to mold me into what he wanted me to be. So I was slightly confused. But I did play soccer in Elementary and Middle school years. And I would play basketball every now and then.

But I can't sit through watching sports at home on TV. I would rather be live at the event and that certainly gets me glued and interested for some reason.

Onemic

I didn't get into sports until just a few years ago. I can never sit through a whole game of baseball though. Shits boring as fuck.

G-Fex

I didn't get into sports until just a few years ago. I can never sit through a whole game of baseball though. Shits boring as fuck.

I'm not a good fan but I love baseball a lot and when I paid for the MLB thing to watch online it was great seeing games I couldn't on tv, but everyday and multiple games it overwhelmed me a bit. I loved it though. Pretty damn long and it sometimes is unbearable cause how bad a team is doing against another.

I know the one sport I really wanted to get into besides football was Basketball. I regret never doing it.

Baseball is the worst sport

unless your team is great.

the problem with baseball is that about 3/4 of the MLB has no chance at the post season and know it before the All-Star break. It's not fun to be a fan of a team that has no real chance at the post-season.

Those late 90s years as an Indians fan were some of the most memorable of all of my sports memories. The tension and excitement was amazing.

Onemic

nope, it's still bad

it's a boring sport that cares more about superstitions than being interesting.

It's the only sport that I've gotten front row seats to and fell asleep halfway through the game.

Baseball is shit without beer and buddies to get drunk with. I swear that's what most people that go to baseball games do and don't even pay attention to the game.

Basketball is the only sport I can watch regularly. Baseball is only good during the World Series and football I can watch but don't care about it at all really.

nope, it's still bad

it's a boring sport that cares more about superstitions than being interesting.

I had a LOT of fun for maybe 3 or 4 MLB seasons when my Indians were running shit. The roster was basically unchanged for 3 or 4 seasons and no game was out of reach (set the record for 9th inning comebacks and closes in one or two of those seasons.

For me, MLB sucked since then because of the player carousel that hits most small-market teams. Hard to keep good talent when the Yankees and similar teams that are able to spend stupid amounts of money can simply outbid you for the talent that you and your AAA team groomed into MLB-caliber players. Like any sport, being able to recognize and become attached to players on your team matters, and consistency is hard to find.

as compared to the nba where you know before the season that only maybe 4 teams have a chance at wining the title

a lot of MLB teams can say the same. and the difference with Baseball is that you still have 100+ games to play after you realize your team has no chance to make it to the post-season. lol

DominoKid

yep... only other sport thats damn near as predictable if you understand it is boxing and I love that sport too.

yeah one of the things i like about basketball is that it's so narrative driven.
it's almost like the star players are characters because they get so much individual attention & scrutiny.

i can understand it because i know some people who LOVE baseball and Hockey and i am like ....................... and it's not that i haven't tried. ill watch Tennis, can't really stand Golf... only reason i learned the rules of and got into American Football was Madden on SNES hahaha

and i grew up in the Caribbean watching Football (REAL), Cricket, Basketball (and Netball! supwitdat!?) and Basketball is pretty much the *only* thing almost everyone i know will watch. especially the chicks... until i got to GA, Basketball is pretty much the only thing they'd even mess with. chicks down here are big into Football too though!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
just finished soul eater

last episode made no sense. why the fuck should it though

I used to just "like" basketball but eventually I focused a bunch of my nerd energy on it.

Now it's just Games/Music/Lakers as far as how my free time is spent.

Top Bottom