• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Imm0rt4l

Haven't listened to it yet, but isn't this one a little rough around the edges for an ot?

I think I'll make a note to drink when we discuss django.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Listening now, WOW @ reggin. Seriously? Damn kids and their RIDDLE RACISM. rofl you guys are great.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'd rather hold off and wait til we get a few more under the belt but it really is moris' show to run for the time being.

Haven't listened to it yet, but isn't this one a little rough around the edges for an ot?

I think I'll make a note to drink when we discuss django.

After editing out that 3/4 minutes of choppy audio and feedback, it sounds alright. Luckily all the stuff that needed to be taken out was in one big sequence.

I'll throw up the OT I'm working on in here for feedback.

I'm thinking of putting the OT up on Thursday night (two days before the django discussion) and then putting up the Django reocrding Saturday or Sunday, thoughts?

Nori Chan

Long time lurker guys, and just listened to the podcast and great job moris. Really interesting topic to go off on your first time doing it. Might as well go for the biggest elephant in the room. It was a great mix of being serious and then having a great time just doing it. But my suggestion is, like dy said, maybe get a couple more podcasts under your belt so you can get all the tech stuff polished and have everyone feel more comfortable talking to each other, you know build some chemistry together.

On the topic of racism, I've had a lot of it when I was in high school. Nothing specifically happened with me as an individual, but as a group. This was like 7th or8th grade, where I got jumped into a "gang" (and I use that term very loosely as we didn't do shit it was just some straight out cholos with buttoned up shirts all the way, locs, fucking dickies, etc etc.) and there were plenty of fights with the black "gang." It was at the point where it was like you would see no hispanic or blacks would be together and it would be some mad fight. In the end it would just fade away as like the leader of our clique graduated and none of that shit ever happened. Looking back, man I was stupid and naive as fuck back then hahaha.

Another time, same year (think 05) where there was this california law about discussing closing down the border so there would be no immigrants, and there was this discussion of walking out just to show that we don't support that law. We have a junior high school across the street from our high school so we could see like a group of kids just lined up to leave as well. Then I literally see like two kids jump the fence and book it home. It was one of the most hilarious things in my life seeing that shit.

But yeah most of the racism I experience in my life (so far) all happened in my high school years. Thank God I grew a brain and actually found out that I needed my edumacation.

Anyways, great job guys, loved the podcast, can't wait to hear more of it...and dy pls you're like 3 years removed form your teens. You can't say children have it easy. "Back in my day..." shiiiiiiitt lol

• Who?
    A semi-regular group of 4 members of The Black Culture Thread with rotating regulars in the 5th and 6th seat.
  • What?
    A podcast to discuss culture, entertainment and current events.
  • When?
    We're still feeling things out but it's looking like a weekly thing for the time being, we may switch to bi-weekly down the road.
  • Where?
    http://sowellspoken.podomatic.com/

Episode #1: Racism
Stream - - - Direct Download

• General discussion about racism the four of us have come across.
  • Run time 42 minutes 19 seconds

The Cast:
onemic - MorisUkunRasik - DY_nasty - Imm0rt4l

Next Week:

Episode #2: Django Unchained
  • HarSon and Soundscream join us for a discussion on Tarantino's latest film.

The Cast:
HarSon - Soundscream - onemic - MorisUkunRasik - DY_nasty - Imm0rt4l

That's what I'm thinking the OT will look like, criticisms and suggestions welcome.

Given that this is probably the most "abrasive" cast we'll be doing, maybe we should wait until we finish the django and maybe the minorities in game ones first so that it'll be easier to swallow.

Onemic

Funky Student woulda slapped their shit immediately

but seriously reggin is some bullshit

Ya that shit still baffles me. Dude and I had some serious beef in elementary, specially since we were always in the same class cuz our school was so damn small. Eventually ended up with some police bullshit goin down.

Still gotta listen to the finalized recording, but I definitely gotta make sure im less sober for next time.

Sunday would be best for me.

Should work out. I think we're open to a sunday recording. Harson is a maybe for the cast, said he'd let me know in a day or two.

If we record on Sunday it might take me until the middle of the week to finish editing and uploading.

Im not well spoken enough to be on the podcast. :

Nonsense.

I'm on my phone now but I'll send you the podcast contact google doc.

I'll be home in a few hours I'll send out the google doc link to Nakazato and Prof Beef when I get back.

Don't be hesitant, all are welcome, just shoot me a PM.

edit: I was close to naming the first episode "Reggin" but I wasn't sure if Gaf was ready. I also like the idea of intro/outro music, any ideas?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I also like the idea of intro/outro music, any ideas?
Shit...use the first minute of that Will track Beef just dropped as the intro, fits perfect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1SeNewicg

Yo, ain't no better man for this hype track
Just the veteran taking the mic back
David Letterman even said he like that track man
Even though he ain't a rap fan
Black radio, they won't play though
Ever since "Summertime" they ain't liked none of mine
Even though the fans went out & bought enough
I guess they think Will ain't hard enough
Maybe I should just have a shoot out
Run up in the bank, bustin', grabbin' all the loot out
Whoop somebody ass, taking my boot out
Right on TV so ya'll can see me
Just ignorant, attacking, actin' rough
I mean, then will I be black enough?

Well, since Django is the next topic, you should use music from the soundtrack. Main Theme for the intro and Freedom for the outro would be my suggestions.

I would say try to use music that relates to the topic of the week in some way. But then, I'm just a big fan of themes and stuff matching up.

It's best to stay consistent with intros and outros though. You don't wanna have the intro change each episode.

Gorillaz

Good first podcast guys, hearing alot of feedback and someone typing on a keyboard a few times.

I lost it too when ya talked about that "backward-riddle fucking with your mind" racism

Imm0rt4l

Long time lurker guys, and just listened to the podcast and great job moris. Really interesting topic to go off on your first time doing it. Might as well go for the biggest elephant in the room. It was a great mix of being serious and then having a great time just doing it. But my suggestion is, like dy said, maybe get a couple more podcasts under your belt so you can get all the tech stuff polished and have everyone feel more comfortable talking to each other, you know build some chemistry together.

On the topic of racism, I've had a lot of it when I was in high school. Nothing specifically happened with me as an individual, but as a group. This was like 7th or8th grade, where I got jumped into a "gang" (and I use that term very loosely as we didn't do shit it was just some straight out cholos with buttoned up shirts all the way, locs, fucking dickies, etc etc.) and there were plenty of fights with the black "gang." It was at the point where it was like you would see no hispanic or blacks would be together and it would be some mad fight. In the end it would just fade away as like the leader of our clique graduated and none of that shit ever happened. Looking back, man I was stupid and naive as fuck back then hahaha.

Another time, same year (think 05) where there was this california law about discussing closing down the border so there would be no immigrants, and there was this discussion of walking out just to show that we don't support that law. We have a junior high school across the street from our high school so we could see like a group of kids just lined up to leave as well. Then I literally see like two kids jump the fence and book it home. It was one of the most hilarious things in my life seeing that shit.

But yeah most of the racism I experience in my life (so far) all happened in my high school years. Thank God I grew a brain and actually found out that I needed my edumacation.

Anyways, great job guys, loved the podcast, can't wait to hear more of it...and dy pls you're like 3 years removed form your teens. You can't say children have it easy. "Back in my day..." shiiiiiiitt lol
The black and brown stuff is sad. I live in vegas and its not really an issue here with the large latino pop but I know there was a riot at my highschool some years before I attended between blacks and latinos, seemed to be an isolated incident.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The black and brown stuff is sad. I live in vegas and its not really an issue here with the large latino pop but I know there was a riot at my highschool some years before I attended between blacks and latinos, seemed to be an isolated incident.

The black and brown shit blew up in high schools here in LA a few years back. The thing is I have no idea where it came from.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
yea, I meant to write good job earlier.
while rough in some spots a lot of potential is there.
definitely a great start.
I would like to contribute somehow but don't know where to apply my talents.

Top Bottom