• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

tumblr_m17l3fU7Sn1qi0ofuo1_500.gif

I don't know much, but I know there's a lot of winning going on right there.

been watchin movies all day and I just noticed the black survival rate in sci-fi is way higher than in horrors, of the top of my head

event horizon
the matrix
sphere
empire strikes back and ROTJ
Predator 2
the thing (keith david)
pitch black (keith david again)

Kreed

Devo, SoundScream, onemic, Moris, DY & Imm0rt4l

Sunday @ 8pm eastern.

So Well Spoken #2: Django Unchained

119810_o.gif

I'll edit and throw it up on the site Monday or Tuesday night, my work/school schedule gets intense starting next monday.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So let's take care of the next show's roster for "Minorities In Games"

Next up on the google doc are Topher & DrFunk, we'll probably record that one on the 18th, 19th or 20th. Let me know if you're still up for it.

And for those who want to get in line for future casts send me a PM, all are welcome.

If you guys talk about Django, make sure you cover this shit:

http://newsone.com/2128501/nan-boycotts-django-toys/

“Selling this doll is highly offensive to our ancestors and the African American community,” Rev. K.W. Tulloss, said to the NY Daily News. “The movie is for adults, but these are action figures that appeal to children. We don’t want other individuals to utilize them for their entertainment, to make a mockery of slavery.”

Or anything related to the complete overreaction by some people in the black community over this movie.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?

Sunday @ 8pm eastern.

119810_o.gif

I'll edit and throw it up on the site Monday or Tuesday night, my work/school schedule gets intense starting next monday.

Next up on the google doc are Topher & DrFunk, we'll probably record that one on the 18th, 19th or 20th. Let me know if you're still up for it.

And for those who want to get in line for future casts send me a PM, all are welcome.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what my schedule is going to be like and get back to you.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
“I actually enjoyed the movie, but we cannot support this type of commercialization,” Ali said. “I don’t seen any dolls representing Hitler that came from Tarantino’s (Holocaust movie ‘Inglourious Basterds’)…I don’t see them making dolls of Holocaust survivors who are bald and starving in concentration camps.”
Fair enough.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the funniest/messed up quotes related to Ali was Joe Frazier. When they had Ali lighting the torch at the Olympics as the feel good moment, and the guy turns to Frazier and says 'Isn't that great?' And Frazier goes, "I wish he'd fall in'

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
“I actually enjoyed the movie, but we cannot support this type of commercialization,” Ali said. “I don’t seen any dolls representing Hitler that came from Tarantino’s (Holocaust movie ‘Inglourious Basterds’)…I don’t see them making dolls of Holocaust survivors who are bald and starving in concentration camps.”
What he said there is pretty reasonable but I don't understand the bolded.

toys-django-unchained.jpg

Those toys don't look offensive to me. Maybe the Steven and Broomhilda dolls are pushing it. But opinions.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Sunday @ 8pm eastern.

119810_o.gif

I should be available any one of those days after 6 pm. No sweat

Kreed

Yeeeaaaa, having a toy for 'The Jew Hunter' says it all. These toys are not for kids.

The price tag of $299 for the toys should have been a big enough indicator that these are collectors items, but these "protesting crabs" will reach as far as they can from their buckets.

The price tag of $299 for the toys should have been a big enough indicator that these are collectors items, but these "protesting crabs" will reach as far as they can from their buckets.

I think this just goes back to whether or not you believe the characters to be racist, which there are valid complaints I feel. Also, whether those characters were intentionally racist to fuck with you or just racist or unintentionally racist.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
django was pretty tame compared to what people were hyping it up to be

hopefully some type of directors cut comes to bluray

wish I could have got in on this weeks podcast

my good mic is in storage though :(

black gaf should get together and come up with like a top 25 list of the best black related movies or something

edit: and on topic I want that django doll

django was pretty tame compared to what people were hyping it up to be

hopefully some type of directors cut comes to bluray

wish I could have got in on this weeks podcast

my good mic is in storage though :(

black gaf should get together and come up with like a top 25 list of the best black related movies or something

That sounds cool. Someone would have to organize it with a point system or something, kind of like the album of the year threads.

Kreed

I think this just goes back to whether or not you believe the characters to be racist, which there are valid complaints I feel. Also, whether those characters were intentionally racist to fuck with you or just racist or unintentionally racist.

It's a fictional movie set in the south in the 1850s. It is supposed to be racist. This isn't Mel Gibson getting secretly recorded saying the n-word or black faced Dutch Christmas helpers we're talking about here.

Slayven

Those toys don't look offensive to me. Maybe the Steven and Broomhilda dolls are pushing it. But opinions.

Those look like they might come alive and attack me.

Childs Play, Puppetmaster, Demonic Toys, and Tales from the Hood fucked me up for dolls.

It's a fictional movie set in the south in the 1850s. It is supposed to be racist. This isn't Mel Gibson getting secretly recorded saying the n-word or black faced Dutch Christmas helpers we're talking about here.

Of course there were going to be depictions of racism but I think both sides of the 'it's racist'/'it's not racist' have valid points. For example Stephen was unsettling
but he was also one of the smartest men in the film and got his in the end.
I'll save my thoughts for this weekend.

DominoKid

why is there a Butch toy? he wasn't even important.

if them toys aint cost a grip, i'd cop Django, Schultz & Steven and set up a scene on my TV stand.

Top Bottom