• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

harSon

Banned
I think you're looking into it too much and I find it no different than the nigger scene in The Godfather. I certainly don't see you harping on that.

Jackie Brown? Racial humor? You sure? The only person who even mentions race is Sam Jackson's character and if you haven't met black people in life like that I don't know what to say except get more black friends.

All I can say is you can't view the film in a vacuum. You call attention to the "nigger" scene in The Godfather, a single occasion within a franchise, and further more, a single moment in Francis Ford Copolla's career. In the case of Tarantino, when you view his films as a whole, instead of viewing them separately, you come to the realization that this happens far too often to be a mere coincidence. It literally happens in 90% of his films. You can't just flush your mind of his past filmography when judging these types of things. You have to view it as "This scene in which blah blah blah occurs in Movie X is from the director who brought us 'Dead Nigger storage,' 'Stop acting like a bunch of Niggers,' and "Sicilians are spawned from Niggers.'" It's a frequent occurrence across two decades of filmography.

I'm not saying he's racist or the scenes are malicious, I don't know the man on a personal enough level to levy that type of judgement, but there's no denying that the frequency of it is at the very least, weird.

And once again, you're using narrative justification to absolve the filmmaker of blame. Tarantino wrote these characters, they're a reflection of his mind and tongue, so to constantly cite narrative justifications as a means of absolution is misguided.

Onemic

Im good for 8pm again on Sunday.

I lurk in here a lot and on occasion post but dawned on me I never actually did the formal introduction...so with that said:

Where you're from- Canada
Where you live- Just outside of Toronto, Ontario.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Jamaican
Do you know your roots- A little bit.
Your Age- 29
Favorite musical genre- hip hop/R&B but I'm at the point now that if it has a good beat I like it.
Your profession/major/career interest- registering/renewing/revoking builder licenses in Ontario.
Your religious affiliation- Christian but not very religious.
Hobbies- avid softball/baseball player, drawer of comics, follower of terrible sports teams.

Welcome fellow canuck

Outside of Toronto? Im guessing Sauga, Vaughn, or Markham?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I saw the suggestion and I agree that it could be great. I'll update the OT with that gmail account I created for the podcast.

In related news we got out first serving of salt. Episode one comment section on podomatic: "oh cool. 40 minutes of vindicating white people" give me your tears, give me all of them.
Must be doing something right.

Also, I'm on mobile right now - I'll update the OP when I get off. Damned good job running the show, man.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm gonna do one of these since I never did:

Where you're from - US of A
Where you live - Kansas City, MO (gettin that google fiber this fall)
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Hispanic
Do you know your roots - Not really. Biological dad split before I was born, only know mother's side and step family.
Your Age - 22
Favorite musical genre - Little bit of this and that of all sorts. Most of what you would expect. Hip Hop, Ambient, Soul, Electronica
Your profession/major/career interest - computer information systems, getting my gen education courses out the way right now. Growing up I always wanted to write but no idea how to make that a career so I just made the safe choice for job prospects.
Your religious affiliation- Raised and baptized catholic...don't really follow it personally but still go to church maybe once a year with family.
Hobbies - Cycling, music blogs and local art galleries. Typical stuff like games, books and movies.

Looks like the first ep numbers are just fucked, Ep 2 has 68 downlopopularity today.

Which means ep 1 has 60 today. Or you know, you and Devo killed our inexplainable popularity.

tumblr_m3gsadCW9r1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Shitty photoshop aside....BlackGaf can I have permission to go and confiscate the offical black memberships of the parties involved in this? This is why we can't have nice things in the South

541704_538260989526372_981237627_n.jpg

What I always wonder when I see these types of flyers is whether or not the people that made them are "in on the joke" or if they are really just self-unaware.

If it's the former, then I've not much to say. Tacky, but we have a right to be ironic like everyone else. If the latter....more lost causes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Welcome back Jackben (and Imm0rt4l whenever he decides to post).
Thanks BHZ. immortal will prolly post soon.

Catching up on the good threads. Already hit Ashodin's Simp Quest, Informercial Gifs and Salma Vs Penelope. What've y'all been up to in here?

I lurk in here a lot and on occasion post but dawned on me I never actually did the formal introduction...so with that said:

Where you're from- Canada
Where you live- Just outside of Toronto, Ontario.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Jamaican
Do you know your roots- A little bit.
Your Age- 29
Favorite musical genre- hip hop/R&B but I'm at the point now that if it has a good beat I like it.
Your profession/major/career interest- registering/renewing/revoking builder licenses in Ontario.
Your religious affiliation- Christian but not very religious.
Hobbies- avid softball/baseball player, drawer of comics, follower of terrible sports teams.

Wassup man!

akira28

What I always wonder when I see these types of flyers is whether or not the people that made them are "in on the joke" or if they are really just self-unaware.

If it's the former, then I've not much to say. Tacky, but we have a right to be ironic like everyone else. If the latter....more lost causes.

Yeah but that kind of irony, in situ, is more like gallows humor than anything else. It's like...ok you're losing the battle, lets tell some jokes about prison camp while we're waiting to be executed.

I keep missing updates in this thread *subscribes*

Where you're from The good old US of A.
Where you live Japan (Nagoya, atm)
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Mom's side - black caribbean with a smidgen of Irish. Dad's side - Russian Jew =D
Do you know your roots A little.
Your Age 25
Favorite musical genre metal (but I like a little pop, hip hop, dancehall, etc)
Your profession/major/career interest I need to get into web design..
Hobbies music, web design, video games, failing at programming, window shopping, and karaoke.

How many females do we have in here??

FyreWulff

I have to guess off access logs since I don't have the downloads go through a gate page of some sort, but you can add +10 to Episode 1's count off my hosting and +17 for Episode 2.

9uGK1.jpg

It's kind of neat looking at the bandwidth graph. A bunch of downloads right before people go to work, then on their lunch break, then when everyone gets home.

Imm0rt4l

Speaking of females and fitness, women who workout hhnnnnngggg...../no dry simp

Seriously, I hate that the new years resolution crowd takes over the gym, the silver lining is that their are more ladies now. Not just cardio bunnies either, a few occupying the squat rack. Tis a beautiful thing.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
back in my day, it was just satch and londa

and they were the trillest muthas in the BCT
Bout damn time, we were promised women in the old thread.

I was thinking of bringing articles of impeachment against DY but he's safe.........for now.

Now that AM posts here, the WWC (White Women Count) has at least doubled during my stay in office.

(love how its actually diverse in here though)

Yes! My avatar is Gina Carano. I can only hope I get into as good shape as her. I want to do may Thai but I hear it isn't good for the long term so I'm doing boxing.

Well let me point you to the MMA-gaf thread. We're a good little community that respect and love each other. Let me just say this though. We have tons of inside jokes because we spend a lot of time watching MMA and chatting IRC. So don't think we are insular or anything. We welcome new posters.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507296

Where is Snatch?

back in my day, it was just satch and londa

and they were the trillest muthas in the BCT

Now that AM posts here, the WWC (White Women Count) has at least doubled during my stay in office.

(love how its actually diverse in here though)

True, but your administration has yet to take action against the struggle movement in our community(sugar grits, struggle pizza, etc) your polling very low with college educated blacks.

Top Bottom