• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Gorillaz

Bey winning it is no surprise since she's been put on literally every mag cover for the past year

Nope,that song is catchy..lol

84+molly.jpg

adding atleast one rachet pic on this page to keep it consistent.

pic setting us back another decade

playing Dragons Dogma

Like...is there any rating system for the quests I'm taking? Because I just accept them, get mid deep and realize I just ran into Brolly and I'm basically Krillin right now.

I feel so weak :(

playing Dragons Dogma

Like...is there any rating system for the quests I'm taking? Because I just accept them, get mid deep and realize I just ran into Brolly and I'm basically Krillin right now.

I feel so weak :(

I did this too at first. Make sure you finish everything in the first town before you even step foot towards anything outside of its walls. You will die.

I never really did one of these:

Where you're from- Canada
Where you live- GTA (Greater Toronto Area, Ontario Canada.)
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Dad is Guyanese,( some of his grand parents are portugese) and My Mom is Jamaican.
Do you know your roots-Yes to a certain degree.
Your Age- 20
Favourite musical genre-Southern hip hop,Trap, House, and mixin 'em together.
Your profession/major/career interest- Student in College
Your religious affiliation- To my mother: I'm a Pentecostal Christian, to everybody else there: may or may not be a God and I may or may not go to a Heaven.
Hobbies- Music, Dancing (bubbling w/ women mostly :D), Reading about technology, and cooking & Video games.

I've been bill Cosby and steve urkel Last two years for halloween the next great black man I be might have to be Trinidad .......
just kidding about the great part

I suppose it's only appropriate to fill out the intro sheet

Where you're from- Southern California
Where you live- Southern California
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Mexican
Do you know your roots- Grandmother on my father's side immigrated in the 60s, mother's side were farmers in California for who knows how long.
Your Age- 23
Favorite musical genre- I mostly listen to hip/hop due to the amount of releases in the modern hiphop scene. Was really into post/hardcore and various genres of punk when I was younger. I could go from Purity Ring to Freddie Gibbs to Bear Vs Shark to The Wrens to 2chainz to Youth Lagoon on any given day
Your profession/major/career interest- 6 years of banking experience and counting, studying Business with a concentration in Accounting. Uncertain of whether or not to pursue an MBA.
Your religious affiliation- weak/negative atheist
Hobbies- Movies, Music, Games, Basketball, TV. Not much time for hobbies with how work/school dominates my schedule

RedSwirl

Gotta make that long-ass drive tomorrow afternoon, all just for a shape-up.

On the subject, where is BlackGAF on beards? For the last few years I've maintained a jawline beard because I look like I'm 16 years old without it. Since the last shape-up though it's gotten quite bushy and I'm wondering if I should just maintain that.

Still having to stay with the small 'fro because I don't wanna make that drive every two weeks to keep a skin fade. Overall the style is probably part of what's been killing my job interviews but I can't really afford to change it UNTIL I start working. I can only imagine how hard this might be outside the US... unless they got black barbershops in places like the UK.

Had an afro for about eight years. Of course the folks at the barber shop gave me grief for wanting to cut it.

And I have no idea what to do with ingrown hairs from shaving because of how wild my beard hair his, but I can't even grow a decent beard! Even getting it cut at the barber shop leaves me with some razor bumps fuck

If you can painlessly grow a beard of decent fullness, it's fine if you stick with that. I've heard chinstraps are lame, but the person who said that was a masculine white lesbian woman

My advice: get your hair cut down really short for interviews, then once you get the job, never cut it and leave it nappy

Onemic

Had an afro for about eight years. Of course the folks at the barber shop gave me grief for wanting to cut it.

And I have no idea what to do with ingrown hairs from shaving because of how wild my beard hair his, but I can't even grow a decent beard! Even getting it cut at the barber shop leaves me with some razor bumps fuck

If you can painless grow a beard of decent fullness, it's fine if you stick with that. I've heard chinstraps are lame, but the person who said that was a masculine white lesbian woman

My advice: get your hair cut down really short for interviews, then once you get the job, never cut it and leave it nappy

What I do.

harSon

Banned

On the subject, where is BlackGAF on beards? For the last few years I've maintained a jawline beard because I look like I'm 16 years old without it. Since the last shape-up though it's gotten quite bushy and I'm wondering if I should just maintain that.

Still having to stay with the small 'fro because I don't wanna make that drive every two weeks to keep a skin fade. Overall the style is probably part of what's been killing my job interviews but I can't really afford to change it UNTIL I start working. I can only imagine how hard this might be outside the US... unless they got black barbershops in places like the UK.

I can't keep a clean shave. My skin is sensitive as fuck and if I shave it, I'll have razor bumps for days. I purchased a decent beard trimmer and rock anything from a midnight shadow to stubble. My beard hair grows quickly and thick as fuck, so I have to constantly maintain it.

I rock a medium bald fade with a 3-4 on top, natural.

Haven't been able to have a clean shaven face since I was like 19. I rock a full beard and just try to keep it neat. The rest of my head I just take a clipper to with no guide on it. I don't bother with fades or line ups either. Granted I'm a stay at home dad now but before that I was always either the one Black dude or one of the two wherever I worked so my bosses never messed with me.

FreeMufasa

Chelsea, eh? What'd you make of last years Champions League Cup?

Happy for your brother. Youth training camps is one venue American sports really lack. For those who don't know, major football (soccer) teams in Europe take in young, promising players at a young age (like say 10 years old) and train them, professionally, in their own youth league. As the kid grows, he continues to play for that team's youth team, and eventually, with hard work, he can make the professional team.

They are trained by professionals and it is one of the major reasons why American soccer lags like it does: the lack of infrastructure. By comparison, in Europe, those kids are being trained by star players and coaches. You can't compete with that.

FreeMufasa, what are your thoughts on Pep heading to Bayern?

Yeah last years CL was exciting. Rooting for Chelsea because theyre an english team although me and my older bro are arsenal boys and my lil bro supports Man U the little shit.

Tbh I was expecting Chelsea to get him all last year. Abromovich wanted him so bad. Really interested to see if he can repeat his Barcelona success at Bayern. I think he will.

Where are you from Lin?
Chelsea... from what i've seen they don't seem to promote youth as much as some of the other clubs in England. iirc they don't have any first team players from within the club. maybe 1.

but if he's really good, even if he doesn't make it at Chelsea he'll land somewhere else.

hope it works out though, as long as he doesn't dagger United in the future.

Pretty much, but it's a necessary stepping stone. At the very least, he's guaranteed to play in the championship if he doesn't stand out. I know he can make the EPL though. Only thing that can stop him is girls and partying.

nah, ultimate universe can't be THAT way off. at most you could say Mufasa was into skinny chicks... no poom poom? MADNESS!!!

Yo, I ain't into fat girls :lol

But I'd choose a fat chick over a skinny one though. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiie.

UK and France have large black populations so its not much of a problem. True say its they're usually centred around the capitals. Anywhere else though.......you're fucked. My friends over Europe have to get family or friends to do it.

Fresh Prince
Hanging with Mr Cooper
Sister Sister
Smart Guy
In Living Color (technically a comedy show but still relevant)
Living Single
Martin
Family Matters

are all the ones I grew up on. I'd watch the Jeffersons and Good Times later since they weren't on repeat when I was a kid.

Imm0rt4l

So p4a is 20 bones at gamestop. Maybe I should hop on, train and body y'all. I've been out of fighting games for a bit. On second thought I still got to play some tekken...

harSon

Banned
Fresh Prince
Hanging with Mr Cooper
Sister Sister
Smart Guy
In Living Color (technically a comedy show but still relevant)
Living Single
Martin

are all the ones I grew up on. I'd watch the Jeffersons and Good Times later since they weren't on repeat when I was a kid.

I watched:

Fresh Prince
In Living Color
Kenan & Kel
Cousin Skeeter
The Proud Family
Martin
Living Single
Smart Guy
Hanging with Mr Cooper
The Bernie Mac Show
Family Matters
The Jamie Foxx Show
My Brother and Me
Moesha
The Steve Harvey Show
The Wayans Bros
My Wife and Kids (I was 12)
The PJs
The Famous Jett Jackson
Gullah Gullah Island

And I watched a lot of The Cosby Show and Sanford and Son growing up as well.

Onemic

So p4a is 20 bones at gamestop. Maybe I should hop on, train and body y'all. I've been out of fighting games for a bit. On second thought I still got to play some tekken...

The thing that's good about P4A is that you dont have to train that much once you 'get' your character. Havent played the game in 2 months but im pretty sure I can jump right back in like it was nothing.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The thing that's good about P4A is that you dont have to train that much once you 'get' your character. Havent played the game in 2 months but im pretty sure I can jump right back in like it was nothing.
Same here, might warm it up tonight

Slayven

It is straight out wrong that Cooper ended up with the lady who was their housemate for all those years.

The episode where they made out in that car garage, I turned off my tv in disgust.

Yes, Hanging With Mr Cooper is serious business.

It was like they just realized no one else wanted they ass. Man they need to rerun that show I haven't seen it in years

FreeMufasa

It would be so great for Robben to catch a break, eh?

I'm from USA.

I'm not too familiar with the Bundesliga, what problems is he having? And what team do you support.

Whenever i see lists here no one mentions

OneonOne
The Hughleys
In the House (LL cool J)

They weren't popular in the US? Or considerd shit?

harSon

Banned
I'm not too familiar with the Bundesliga, what problems is he having? And what team do you support.

Whenever i see lists here no one mentions

OneonOne
The Hughleys
In the House (LL cool J)

They weren't popular in the US? Or considerd shit?

I forgot about One on One, good show. I watched them all, but not religiously or anything.

Where you're from- United States
Where you live- Inglewood, CA
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Black as far as I know
Do you know your roots- No unfortunately
Your Age- 29
Favorite musical genre- Mainly Hip Hop and R&B but some classic rock and specific newer bands
Your profession/major/career interest- Electrical Engineering major
Your religious affiliation- none
Hobbies- Gaming, Basketball, Boxing, Science Fiction movies, novels etc..

Now back to my lurking...

Top Bottom