• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I would buy Injustice if it was on PC, if only for my DC comics fanboyism

Too bad fighting game devs seem to fucking hate the PC for some reason.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sparxxx, Loose Cannon, Grist, and Gunfire are hardly cannon fodder. And lets not talk about Frieght Train. He is a black Canadian in the vein of Bish, Onemic, and Drake.

you name all those cannon fodder dudes, and you dont name hitman, the best of the bunch?

Injustice is not as bad as everyone says. But at the same time its NRS and the last time I was digging on a MK game was MK2. It also doesnt help that I am a diehard Marvelite. But I can respect DC and the story mode was pretty good. Had a serious McDuffie feel which is always solid.

Im shocked that they didnt put some Wildstorm characters in it with the acquisition and all but alas missed opportunity on their part.

But UMvC3 and CvS2 are jam. I also like all iterations of the SF3 so good shit.

Injustice is not as bad as everyone says. But at the same time its NRS and the last time I was digging on a MK game was MK2. It also doesnt help that I am a diehard Marvelite. But I can respect DC and the story mode was pretty good. Had a serious McDuffie feel which is always solid.

Im shocked that they didnt put some Wildstorm characters in it with the acquisition and all but alas missed opportunity on their part.

But UMvC3 and CvS2 are jam. I also like all iterations of the SF3 so good shit.

Well McDuffie had a lot to do with the DCAU Cartoon, and it feels alot like a DCAU videogame.

Go this email from my dad about a friend's daughter:

The school she goes to she is the only Black child in class. She has a shirt that says "Pretty Brown Girl". She refused to wear it one morning. When asked why, she said she would be laughed at. She was reasoned with like adults do but to no avail. She was adamant and broke down crying.

I never know what to feel when kids this young think this way

Imm0rt4l

I can't hate Chun, especially when she does the YATTA!

you'd hate her if you played 3rd strike.

Go this email from my dad about a friend's daughter:

Really brief and vague aside from the context of being hte only black kid in class. I can understand the kid not wanting to draw more or unwanted attention to herself and possibly ostracize herself from her peers. Even as a child I'm sure she is acutely aware of her innate 'otherness' and how some perceive her(don't know the age), I can understand not wanting to draw any kind of negative attention or separate herself further from the flock even in the case that she's uncomfortable being the only kid like herself in class.

ReiGun

Injustice is awesome. It feels clunky at first, but once you get use to the flow, it's awesome. I say this as someone who can't stand MK.

Also, all balance complaints are, I believe, the direct result of scrub who play this game not being able to block/play at all. So of course, it's going to result in Aquman, GL, Deathstroke, etc. being nerfed to shit.

I can't hate Chun, especially when she does the YATTA!

*brofist* Chun is my favorite Street Fighter. I play her at least once in everything.

Its fucking tragic is what it is. I had conversation with a couple friends just last week about the actions of kids and adults. When can a person be held accountable for their actions? When do we stop blaming the parents? In this case its all on the parents and the teachers for letting this shit happen. But its cool because all the perseverence she will face will make her stronger and rise above her peers.

OK, so I'm on the bus, and this douchey dude comes in. He has these headphones on and I can clearly hear it, two seats behind him.

Anyways, this song is some rap tune, and it keeps repeating THE. ONE. SAME. LINE. OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

This is a 50 minute bus ride. And yes, he listened to the same 5 or 6 words over and over again. Problem is, I want to know what it is! It was just as generic a rap tune as you can imagine, but it was just one line on infinite loop.

Something, something, money, getting rich, or some kind of crap like that.

Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Gorillaz

BCT....I just got into Dark Souls last week.

This has to be the most addictive game ive played in awhile. 2 years late tho but damn

Imm0rt4l

I fear for the gaming industry next gen

edit: in other news Lauryn Hill is making a new album. I have no faith in this ending well.

Slayven

I fear for the gaming industry next gen

edit: in other news Lauryn Hill is making a new album. I have no faith in this ending well.
Live from Cell Block D?

Obsessed is on, I don't why I like this movie. Is it Beyonce's terrible acting? Elba's character making terrible decisions?

you can tell elba was trying to give some shit a chance when he did daddy's little girls and obsessed.

It's funny because Daddy's little girls is Perry's best work, and one of Elba's worst.

EDIT: yooo damn, I can't even be mad she's wearing weave.
MV5BMTQ0NTMzMzk2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU0NDc2NQ@@._V1._SX640_SY979_.jpg

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Incoming rant:

Why do I have this strange feeling that one of my favorite genres (hack n slash games) will be next to non-existent next gen?

I'm playing through God of War 2 right now; one of my all-time favorite games, and it amazes me how well thought out and well-designed the game is. Great pacing, improved combat, and even more bosses. Yeah the story did take a hit but overall it's a really great game and definitely the swan song of the PS2 imo.

But it got me thinking, not just about the franchise but the genre as a whole. There's a reason why the GOW franchise is sitting at 21+ million copies sold; compared to Devil May Cry's 10+ million sold. I'm not a GOW diehard, I love all hack n slash, beat em ups, whatever the hell you want to call them games. But I gotta get this off my chest.

GOW (specifically the first one) did what no other game could do when it was released, it brought hack n slash games to the mainstream. No other hack n slash series has been able to top GOW in terms of spectacle, accessibility, and most importantly, sales. Too many games try to emulate what works in the GOW franchise instead of using GOW as a benchmark for how to tap into that market and apply it into their own games. Lords of Shadow kinda did that but that game has it's own problems that I'm not gonna get into right now.

Devil May Cry is dead, let's keep it real here, I like DmC despite its many faults, but NT/Capcom went about the wrong way with that game and the sales show for it. I really shake my head when I see people ask for a sequel. Plus Capcom would be stupid to make one. Ninja Gaiden will continue to remain hardcore and even that playerbase is shrinking. Not to mention that there's no telling what Team Ninja will be in five years, maybe two. Like I said earlier, Lords of Shadow had potential but I'm pretty sure the Castlevania franchise will be put to sleep once the sequel comes out. It doesn't help that the first LoS game was unfortunate enough to be labeled a "GOW clone".

Bayonetta and Darksiders never really had a chance. Largely due to one word, "artstyle". Sorry folks but this is America and how your game is presented will determine the amount of interest people will have for it. And then you had all of these nobodies that tried to make a splash but failed (Dante's Inferno, Lollipop Chainsaw, etc.)

I would love for another hack n slash series to do something interesting that could make it just as popular and well-known as the GOW franchise is, maybe even more so. Considering the direction this industry is going the genre better figure out something quick.

So...yeah, end rant. Agree or disagree it doesn't matter, but I didn't feel like posting this in GD considering how bad it is right now; it'll only get worse in a month or two. If there are any grammar or sentence errors feel free to correct me. It's late and I just got off work a couple hours ago.

Imm0rt4l

Darksiders artstyle was hideous. Bayonetta is an awesome game, with a ridiculous artstyle(that compliments it). Dmc sucking doesn't say much about the genre, it's Capcom that's fucking up. They're too enamored with how much more Godlike the West is at almost everything compared to DMC. They seem hellbent on dudebroing everything up, even SF4's characters are ugly roided up white washed charicatures rather than the slightly anime-esque style of SFA(best art style and music in the series bar none, fuck a 3rd strike). They overlooked the fact that what makes DMC great was a very Japanese penache. The game characters movements are like something right out of a Ryuhei Kitamura flick. The combat has always been the strong point and Team Ninja has a very strong disconnect from what makes a good devil may cry-esque action/fighting game. This was evident when they said it would be 30fps. There was no way it was going to be on the level of it's predecessors. The only thing that DMC could hope to do is be a solid action game like God of war/darksiders(I didn't care for darksiders) and work on the areas of the devil may cry 1-4 weren't particularly strong in. The devil may cry lore is a pretty stpid one, so making a more compelling story shouldn't be difficult, also platforming in the previous games was bunk. I've still yet to play dmc. I opted for Metal Gear Rising instead. I think I made the right choice.

Deprive

I don't think DMC is dead, seriously the shit ain't megaman. Capcom has no real reason to put it up. I think will get a DMC5 sometime after Deep Down. Hell I think we will see a DMC5 before another RE game. Team Ninja has screwed up too much with Gaiden, so shit if I know what's going to happen there. Some sad shit about Castlevania, but it will probably continue to live on in 2d handheld form. But really Konami is just the MGS company at this point.

Also what Imm0rt4l said. Japanese companies are real stupid to be chasing something that most western companies can't even pull off.

Hopefully next gen, companies decide to experiment more.

Darksiders artstyle was hideous. Bayonetta is an awesome game, with a ridiculous artstyle(that compliments it). Dmc sucking doesn't say much about the genre, it's Capcom that's fucking up. They're too enamored with how much more Godlike the West is at almost everything compared to DMC. They seem hellbent on dudebroing everything up, even SF4's characters are ugly roided up white washed charicatures rather than the slightly anime-esque style of SFA(best art style and music in the series bar none, fuck a 3rd strike). They overlooked the fact that what makes DMC great was a very Japanese penache. The game characters movements are like something right out of a Ryuhei Kitamura flick. The combat has always been the strong point and Team Ninja has a very strong disconnect from what makes a good devil may cry-esque action/fighting game. This was evident when they said it would be 30fps. There was no way it was going to be on the level of it's predecessors. The only thing that DMC could hope to do is be a solid action game like God of war/darksiders(I didn't care for darksiders) and work on the areas of the devil may cry 1-4 weren't particularly strong in. The devil may cry lore is a pretty stpid one, so making a more compelling story shouldn't be difficult, also platforming in the previous games was bunk. I've still yet to play dmc. I opted for Metal Gear Rising instead. I think I made the right choice.

trying to appeal to everyone and forgetting what made it unique in the first place is what killed dmc

plus it didnt have DMC4'S swag
1355015669218l7icy.gif

DMC has always been about being stylish as fuck

BHZ Mayor

They seem hellbent on dudebroing everything up, even SF4's characters are ugly roided up white washed charicatures rather than the slightly anime-esque style of SFA(best art style and music in the series bar none, fuck a 3rd strike).

We're gonna have to fight over this.

even though you'd win

But in all seriousness, everyone is trying to chase that 360/CoD audience and turning out worse because of it. Even Nintendo listened to the whiners and made motion controls an afterthought, so now we're going to have to deal with the same old N64 controls or a half-ass port of the Skyward Sword controls for the Zelda U. The only hope I have is that PS4 turns out OK, and that's only because of the "we don't want the console to be all shooters" statement.

Onemic

We're gonna have to fight over this.

even though you'd win

But in all seriousness, everyone is trying to chase that 360/CoD audience and turning out worse because of it. Even Nintendo listened to the whiners and made motion controls an afterthought, so now we're going to have to deal with the same old N64 controls or a half-ass port of the Skyward Sword controls for the Zelda U. The only hope I have is that PS4 turns out OK, and that's only because of the "we don't want the console to be all shooters" statement.

No game in the SF series has better music than SF3. None. gimme dat Ken and Dudley stage music.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
New Generation music > 2nd Impact music > Alpha 2 music > 3rd Strike music > Alpha 3 music

3rd Strike's music is so overrated

zero_suit

Incoming rant:

Why do I have this strange feeling that one of my favorite genres (hack n slash games) will be next to non-existent next gen?

I'm playing through God of War 2 right now; one of my all-time favorite games, and it amazes me how well thought out and well-designed the game is. Great pacing, improved combat, and even more bosses. Yeah the story did take a hit but overall it's a really great game and definitely the swan song of the PS2 imo.

But it got me thinking, not just about the franchise but the genre as a whole. There's a reason why the GOW franchise is sitting at 21+ million copies sold; compared to Devil May Cry's 10+ million sold. I'm not a GOW diehard, I love all hack n slash, beat em ups, whatever the hell you want to call them games. But I gotta get this off my chest.

GOW (specifically the first one) did what no other game could do when it was released, it brought hack n slash games to the mainstream. No other hack n slash series has been able to top GOW in terms of spectacle, accessibility, and most importantly, sales. Too many games try to emulate what works in the GOW franchise instead of using GOW as a benchmark for how to tap into that market and apply it into their own games. Lords of Shadow kinda did that but that game has it's own problems that I'm not gonna get into right now.

Devil May Cry is dead, let's keep it real here, I like DmC despite its many faults, but NT/Capcom went about the wrong way with that game and the sales show for it. I really shake my head when I see people ask for a sequel. Plus Capcom would be stupid to make one. Ninja Gaiden will continue to remain hardcore and even that playerbase is shrinking. Not to mention that there's no telling what Team Ninja will be in five years, maybe two. Like I said earlier, Lords of Shadow had potential but I'm pretty sure the Castlevania franchise will be put to sleep once the sequel comes out. It doesn't help that the first LoS game was unfortunate enough to be labeled a "GOW clone".

Bayonetta and Darksiders never really had a chance. Largely due to one word, "artstyle". Sorry folks but this is America and how your game is presented will determine the amount of interest people will have for it. And then you had all of these nobodies that tried to make a splash but failed (Dante's Inferno, Lollipop Chainsaw, etc.)

I would love for another hack n slash series to do something interesting that could make it just as popular and well-known as the GOW franchise is, maybe even more so. Considering the direction this industry is going the genre better figure out something quick.

So...yeah, end rant. Agree or disagree it doesn't matter, but I didn't feel like posting this in GD considering how bad it is right now; it'll only get worse in a month or two. If there are any grammar or sentence errors feel free to correct me. It's late and I just got off work a couple hours ago.
JRPGs (on consoles), hack n slash and platformers (excluding Nintendo) are dying out. Next-gen is looking grim.

When you consider it was Microsoft's goal to cockblock Sony and takeover the livingroom, their old battleplan will be outdate sooner rather than later. which begs the questions, why the fuck would MS still be interested in the console market?

If you're in the market for a TV nowadays, most come with intergrated support for facebook, twitter ,Last fm , pandora, Netflix etc.

I think by the end of the upcoming console gen the marriage between the television and the pc will be even more prominent. Sony has already tried a few times to have All-in-one pcs with TV functionality and you can plainly see where the TV market is going.

I think if it's still MS' goal to be the center of your living room, they should be sliding focus away from console gaming and into researching and developing TV sets that are high functioning, and run on Windows OS.

Personally, I could envision a MS home ecosystem of a tablet and/or smartphone, TV and Laptop/desktop all connected and interacting. Streaming and sharing from one another. And if prices of midrange tech keeps falling, it could be had in the average home for a pretty modest amount.

It's kind of what Apple has been trying to do minus the TV portion and at a much lower entry cost.

harSon

Banned
When you consider it was Microsoft's goal to cockblock Sony and takeover the livingroom, their old battleplan will be outdate sooner rather than later. which begs the questions, why the fuck would MS still be interested in the console market?

If you're in the market for a TV nowadays, most come with intergrated support for facebook, twitter ,Last fm , pandora, Netflix etc.

I think by the end of the upcoming console gen the marriage between the television and the pc will be even more prominent. Sony has already tried a few times to have All-in-one pcs with TV functionality and you can plainly see where the TV market is going.

I think if it's still MS' goal to be the center of your living room, they should be sliding focus away from console gaming and into researching and developing TV sets that are high functioning, and run on Windows OS.

Personally, I could envision a MS home ecosystem of a tablet and/or smartphone, TV and Laptop/desktop all connected and interacting. Streaming and sharing from one another. And if prices of midrange tech keeps falling, it could be had in the average home for a pretty modest amount.

It's kind of what Apple has been trying to do minus the TV portion and at a much lower entry cost.

There's no television with a legitimate movie/music marketplace, built in blu ray player, cable/dvr integration, on top of being a legitimate video games system, and there's never going to be. There is a massive market for a video game console that doubles down as an All-In-One device. Regardless of Microsoft's original intentions coming into the industry, it'd be idiotic for them to shift focus considering the Xbox is one of Microsoft's most reliably lucrative divisions at this point. Console gaming is going to be around for the foreseeable future, profoundly at that, and television solutions to media are never going to be as capable, powerful or scalable as a dedicated solution, so I feel Microsoft is tackling this all-in-one element to the living room from the right angle.

DominoKid

Lauryn Hill back and still as nutty as ever.

It has been reported that I signed a new record deal, and that I did this to pay taxes. Yes, I have recently entered into an agreement with Sony Worldwide Entertainment, to launch a new label, on which my new music will be released. And yes, I am working on new music.

I’ve remained silent, after an extensive healing process. This has been a 10+ year battle, for a long time played out behind closed doors, but now in front of the public eye. This is an old conflict between art and commerce… free minds, and minds that are perhaps overly tethered to structure. This is about inequity, and the resulting disenfranchisement caused by it. I’ve been fighting for existential and economic freedom, which means the freedom to create and live without someone threatening, controlling, and/or manipulating the art and the artist, by tying the purse strings.

It took years for me to get out of the ‘parasitic’ dynamic of my youth, and into a deal that better reflects my true contribution as an artist, and (purportedly) gives me the control necessary to create a paradigm suitable for my needs. I have been working towards this for a long time, not just because of my current legal situation, but because I am an artist, I love to create, and I need the proper platform to do so.

The nature of my new business venture, as well as the dollar amount reported, was inaccurate, only a portion of the overall deal. Keep in mind, my past recordings have sold over 50,000,000 units worldwide, earning the label a tremendous amount of money (a fraction of which actually came to me).

Only a completely complicated set of traps, manipulations, and inequitable business arrangements could put someone who has accomplished the things that I have, financially in need of anything. I am one artist who finds value in openly discussing the dynamics within this industry that force artists to compromise or distort themselves and what they do, rather than allowing them to make the music that people need. There are volumes that could (and will) be said.

MLH

http://mslaurynhill.tumblr.com/post/48885675853/it-has-been-reported-that-i-signed-a-new-record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom