• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong | Review Thread

What scores do you think Black Myth: Wukong will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 56-59%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 51 16.4%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 121 38.9%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 99 31.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tedditalk

It's actually pretty boring in all honesty.

Real drama would have arisen if you could have produced a review that is at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the ones which have been heavily discussed in this thread.
What I am reading here is we need to let synthetic man review scores be allowed in Metacritic and open critic.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
haters can go fly a kite in a treee day zero

oh-yeah-mrw.gif

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Still wild to me that numbers will dictate people's decisions. If one person said 82% and the other said 80%, some would go batshit crazy lol.

I always say this: Watch a youtube video and see if a game is in your wheelhouse. If you like it enough based on that, give it a go. And if you're too cheap, wait for a sale.

I always take reviewers with a grain of salt AFTER my own thoughts.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Justin9mm

I really want to play this but I can't get behind digital only for PS5, it's a single player experience I will want to on sell my copy once complete. I don't collect games, and it keeps the cost of my gaming hobby down. Wasn't there some news on being a physical release not too far down the road?

Saiyan-Rox

As much as I'd like to support the game I'm just not in the mood for a soulslike ATM

Hell I can barely play anything that doesn't take much thought or effort lately and just sit on the title screen

Draugoth

Gold Member
Second hand journalists and reviewers in China/Weibo are all giving this game a 9/10, stating that despite technical issues and other caveats from lack of AAA development experience Game Science did the impossible for their first release.

I think it's safe to say that 82/100 does not represent this game quality.

Second hand journalists and reviewers in China/Weibo are all giving this game a 9/10, stating that despite technical issues and other caveats from lack of AAA development experience Game Science did the impossible for their first release.

Nope, not until its released.

Never trust critics, best to wait until the general public actually get their hands on the game and provide impressions.

Last edited:

Elios83

Metacritic isn't representative of a game's quality in general anymore.
Games are reviewed based on hype, general feeling online, who is making it, now even political views and controversies that have nothing to do with the game itself and then there's the usual farce of fansites and paid influencers.

Stafford

Oh my god. Is an 8 the kiss of death these days? Jfc. No one has played the game except reviewers and we’re harassing them because of an 8? My favourite game of this generation Returnal is an 8 - so fucking what. Grow up.

Agreed, very much. The obsession with numbers are ridiculous.

The other day I saw a tweet with a picture of what IGN gave to Alien Isolation back in the day. I think it was a 5? So at the end of the day it doesn't mean shit.

GHG

Gold Member
No covid-19 quarantine terms?

Why draw the line there?

Why not look out for the customers you're supposed to be serving by saying no when they say "no console footage allowed" or "you're only allowed to use our bug free b-roll footage for the reviews" etc, etc?

You know, the stuff that actually has a material impact in terms of us making an informed decision prior to purchasing a game.

Last edited:

tommib

Why draw the line there?

Why not look out for the customers you're supposed to be serving by saying no when they say "no console footage allowed" or "you're only allowed to use our bug free b-roll footage for the reviews" etc, etc?
Because it smells of CCP control. I’ll probably buy the game at some point but I’m totally fine with reviewers not wanting to do it and not follow the required terms.

China is free to politically control their media and content creators are free to say fuck off.

It was just a terrible self-own with these terms.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Because it smells of CCP control. I’ll probably buy the game at some point but I’m totally fine with reviewers not wanting to do it and not follow the required terms.

China is free to politically control their media and content creators are free to say fuck off.

And you think there's no political control in the west when there are "diversity" consultancies openly blackmailing businesses?

You can draw the line where you like, if these content creators are going to grow a spine now then I'd like them to at least be consistent about it going forwards. These guys have been complicit in quite literally screwing over tens of millions of consumers in the past by aiding publishers in misleading the buying public and they didn't so much as to say sorry.

It's easy for them to try and look like the good guys now because "'China/CCP bad", but they aren't fooling anyone.

tommib

And you think there's no political control in the west when there are "diversity" consultancies openly blackmailing businesses?

You can draw the line where you like, if these content creators are going to grow a spine now then I'd like them to at least be consistent about it going forwards. These guys have been complicit in quite literally screwing over tens of millions of consumers in the past by aiding publishers in misleading the buying public and they didn't so much as to say sorry.

It's easy for them to try and look like the good guys now because "'China/CCP bad", but they aren't fooling anyone.

Show me a list of dos and don’ts from a western publisher/dev sent to content creators with anything remotely close to Covid-19, quarantine, isolation.

I think we should all just be willing to accept that people are free to not engage with whatever if the terms stink, for them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Reviewers are free to disagree with the terms and not accept codes, just like we're free to disagree with someone's review score.

It's not really that big of an issue.

GHG

Gold Member
Show me a list of dos and don’ts from a western publisher/dev sent to content creators with anything remotely close to Covid-19, quarantine, isolation.

Not seen anything like that, but I don't think it's too much to ask people to review/assess a game without bringing unrelated topics in to the discussion. Why would someone want to bring up covid in relation to this game anyway?

I think we should all just be willing to accept that people are free to not engage with whatever if the terms stink, for them.

That I agree on, however it's where they are deciding to draw the line that I'm questioning. Having seen the terms for this vs something like the ones that went around for Cyberpunk to reviewers I'd far rather they kicked up a fuss about the cyberpunk ones than this.

Reviewers are free to disagree with the terms and not accept codes, just like we're free to disagree with someone's review score.

It's not really that big of an issue.

If its not that big of an issue then people wouldn't be talking about it at all. Since it's out in the open then it's here to be discussed. There's far more to all of this than "CCP bad".

adamsapple

If its not that big of an issue then people wouldn't be talking about it at all. Since it's out in the open then it's here to be discussed. There's far more to all of this than "CCP bad".

I'm not even courting the "CCP bad" point. Publishers send review guidelines all the time, we've seen some about not spoiling stuff etc, but this is the first one where a publisher is specifically asking not to talk about feminism or covid, which are very odd things to say in themselves.

I'm pretty sure if CDPR sent out review guidelines with points like that, the outrage would be even bigger.

GHG

Gold Member
but this is the first one where a publisher is specifically asking not to talk about feminism or covid, which are very odd things to say in themselves.

What have those things got to do with the game and given who they have handed keys out to, why do you think they felt the need to specifically single those things out?

I'm pretty sure if CDPR sent out review guidelines with points like that, the outrage would be even bigger.

That's the thing, there was no "backlash" against CDPR until well after the fact and the game was in consumers hands (at which point it was obvious we'd all bee duped). Guys like Fextralife gladly towed the line and misled their audience of millions.

If they are going to be consistent in refusing keys based on terms being set out (while also going public about it) then I'm absolutely fine with it. But I very much doubt that will be the case.

adamsapple

What have those things got to do with the game and given who they have handed keys out to, why do you think they felt the need to specifically single those things out?

Yes, why indeed.

They are specifically sending out those messages to certain outlets and streamers, let's assume it's the streamers and outlets who generally like to report on those subjects.

Not having the foresight of this blowing up in their face is a massive oversight from the publishers point of view. Either don't single out places to send those terms to, or don't send codes to those folks.

GHG

Gold Member
Yes, why indeed.

They are specifically sending out those messages to certain outlets and streamers, let's assume it's the streamers and outlets who generally like to report on those subjects.

Not having the foresight of this blowing up in their face is a massive oversight from the publishers point of view. Either don't single out places to send those terms to, or don't send codes to those folks.

Gaming outlets that like to report on those subjects are not gaming outlets and shouldn't be treated as such. Therefore I agree, they shouldn't even be sent codes in the first place, from anyone.

Top Bottom