• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

G-Fex

I want to make a interesting movie thread in the OT but I need a really good example and I can't seem to think any up right now.

Movies that starts out grounded into reality then by the end is like ridiculous and fantastical.

harSon

Banned
I want to make a interesting movie thread in the OT but I need a really good example and I can't seem to think any up right now.

Movies that starts out grounded into reality then by the end is like ridiculous and fantastical.

Cronenberg films (Videodrome, The Fly, etc.)
American Psycho
Jacob's Ladder
David Lynch? (Mulholland Drive)
Donnie Darko?
Maybe Terry Gilliam? (12 Monkeys, Brazil)
The Beach is probably one of the best representations of what you're looking for.

harSon

Banned
I dare someone to say The Beach is a good movie

I fucking hate Alex Garland (although Dredd was dope) as a writer. His insistence to transform the tone and genre of a film in the 3rd act is stupid as fuck. 28 Days Later, The Beach and Sunshine. Their 3rd acts all piss me off.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
From one of the government shutdown threads:

And while few explicitly talk about Obama in racial terms, the base supporters are very conscious of being white in a country with growing minorities. Their party is losing to a Democratic Party of big government whose goal is to expand programs that mainly benefit minorities. Race remains very much alive in the politics of the Republican Party.

These participants are very conscious of being white and valuing communities that are more likeminded; they freely describe these programs as meant to benefit minorities. This is about a Democratic Party expanding dependency among African Americans and Latinos, with electoral intent. That is why Obama and the Democrats are prevailing nationally and why the future of the Republic is so at risk.

There's more in the actual study:

http://www.democracycorps.com/attachments/article/954/dcor rpp fg memo 100313 final.pdf

Thoughts?

Slayven

Who's idea was it to lump together six dozen different cultures under the Latino banner? Oh well. Get fucked.

Saw a brother call a Puerto Rican Mexican once. He was lucky he didn't get cut. If that had been a Haitian or Dominican?

FreeMufasa

"Where are you from?"
*states country/nationality/country of birth*
"Yeah but where are you ORIGINALLY from?"

Anyone got this before?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
"Where are you from?"

Anyone got this before?

Yeah,

I have a really rare last name too so people just assume that I'm from Moon-Africa.

Old Lace

"Where are you from?"

Anyone got this before?
Yeah, I grew up in Canada (suburbs of Toronto). My dad says people used to ask him, even after being in the country for decades.

"Where are you from?"

Anyone got this before?

A few times.

"Where you from"
"....here."
".....Where is your mom from?"
"She's from SoCal too"
"....Where is her mother from?"
"......SoCal."
"....hmmm. Where's your dad from?"
" Mexico, but he's been here since he was 2."
"Why didn't you just say Mexico in the first place."
"=|"

It's usually just shitty wording of "What race/ethnicity are you?"

Slayven

A few times.

"Where you from"
"....here."
"She's from SoCal too"
"......SoCal."
"=|"

Doesn't help when you come into work like this.
c0EQFUl.gif

"Where are you from?"

Anyone got this before?

Got it a few times. Once from a coworker who asked me where I was from after she rubbed her hands in my hair (which bugs me out to this day, like why do white people love touching our hair?!).

The best part was when she told me I didn't have normal black people hair. All of my coworkers looked at her like she was crazy as fuck.

Then another time I was walking in the mall with a friend and this lady stopped me and told me I had an interesting accent and assumed I was from Africa. Keep in mind I was in SC at the time, and I didn't have that horrendous southern slang. Also keep in mind I lived my entire life overseas so I didn't have any accent at all.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Americans love to ask that question to anyone that looks "foreign". The moment I tell people my name you can see the hamster wheel spinning in their head. Sometimes I just keep it to "I grew up in Germany" because people think Europe has about half a dozen or so countries total.

Slayven

Nothing like the south, where you need to know your whole family tree.

"My last name is soso"

"You some kin of those soso from seventh.st?"

BHZ Mayor

"My last name is soso"

I've gotten the reverse of this.

"I just met this chick named soandso whatever."

"I got cousins named whatever. She might be some kin to us."

RedSwirl

I've gotten the reverse of this.

"I just met this chick named soandso whatever."

"I got cousins named whatever. She might be some kin to us."

My mom gives me that shit all the time. She's convinced we're kin to Sonny Liston.

I guess I just don't know how lucky I am to be black in the US and have an Anglo-Saxon surname (which is not Liston by the way).

J10

Banned
My curse is people asking me what kind of Spanish I am. I'm not Spanish though, not even a little bit. I don't have a Spanish first or last name or accent or anything. Sometimes as a joke I introduce myself to people as Not Puerto Rican just to see what they default to.

"My last name is soso"

Aint it the truth, apparently i got kin all down in twiggs county all cause of my last name.

Also don't you just hate when niggas want to get a wing out your 10 piece? Every damn time I get some hotwings.

harSon

Banned
Why do people always compare me to stuff. People at work are calling me Gamboa now (Yuriorkis Gamboa). At my last job, the kids/client kept asking me if I follow MMA cause they think I look like Alistair Overeem. And I got old ass women calling me Drake at company picnics. Why does your old hag ass know who Drake is? :(

Dig that meme....

And I'm fucjin drunken again. Moves Monday plus Corona equals happy Rio.

Now watch in bines on netfouc. Hell yo the yeah son.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Okay.

That's actually awesome.

And I absolutely expect to find myself in one those pictures.

Kreed

"Where are you from?"

Anyone got this before?

I started getting it once I moved to Florida. Mostly people thinking I'm Haitian, Jamaican, or African. Definitely an annoying question coming from people in a country dominated by immigrants.

A few times.

"Where you from"
"....here."
"She's from SoCal too"
"......SoCal."
"=|"

Comments like this should give you an instant "hit the person who said this to you for free" card with no repercussions, and you get paid for every punch.

Top Bottom