• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know good and well charity/"we need to look like we aren't a popularity contest" awards don't count. On "average" the show is a popularity contest.

Edit: Thanks Angelus Errare

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/01/24/macklmor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6WaSo9aKE

I'll just add this on to the point of discussion. You have a point if what Macklemore said in the interview true about filling out ballots. Kendrick was doomed the second Macklamore was allowed into the Rap category.

Edit:

Grammy Voting Staff Not a black soul in sight

Lord Jamar: Macklemore's Pushing Gay Agenda via VladTV His twitter feed was basically saying how the chickens have come home to roost

Damn, I was in my own entertainment bubble and missed the Grammys. I see Macklemore got his awards, but that Kendrick performance posted earlier was pretty good. For moment I thought Taylor Swift and her buddy were the only ones standing.

Also, did you guys know Ice-T has a podcast? I caught these choice excerpts while looking at the AV Club breakdown.

http://www.avclub.com/article/meet-the-best-shows-replacement-and-ice-t-joins-th-200799

But Ice-T makes up for it with a continual stream of colorfully worded insights. On his love of Brad Pitt: “If your man don’t like Brad Pitt, he’s just a bitch.” There are lots of bitches on Final Level: “If you’re a man and you got a friend, and as soon as he starts opening his mouth with some gossip, say, ‘You sound like a bitch,’” T says at one point. He has advice on talking about gaming with women—basically, don’t: “If you walk up to a girl and say, ‘Yo baby, my kill/death ratio…,’ you just fucked up. You might as well put on some Crocs if you trying to have some pussy repellant.” He also preemptively dismisses negative comments about Final Level: “If you sat through a whole hour of this, and then you got nothing to say but negative shit, then you gotta be the dumbest motherfucker on Earth. You could’ve clicked this shit off a minute in.”

I may have to check it out just to see what kind of stories he has. I still need to see that documentary he did a couple of years back. I think it's on netflix.

J10

Banned
What's the story?

1NDKLdv.png

The story is that Cliffy B routinely says dumb shit and NeoGAF falls for it every time.

Having something to say != Best rapper alive (recently)

Not that I'm putting words into his mouth, but I would caution if that was his line of thinking or if others read that in that sense. I've aired out my shit. It won't let me get into sorts

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Anyone that seriously believes he is the first mainstream rapper in years with something to say hasn't been paying attention. And I firmly believe the Grammy's have been ruled by pure populist politics for years now, same as many other award ceremonies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wait I just noticed the timestamp (9 September, 2013). So the meme really did start with Cliffy B? lol

Kreed

I'm convinced that Lord Jamar has been fucked by a man at some point.

Definitely some "old man yelling at cloud" opinions in that video. At least all old hip hop heads can do is complain/vs actually doing things to prevent artists from expressing themselves.

Kreed

Having something to say != Best rapper alive (recently)

Not that I'm putting words into his mouth, but I would caution if that was his line of thinking or if others read that in that sense. I've aired out my shit. It won't let me get into sorts

To say Macklemore is the first rapper in years to have something to say (as in intelligent/awareness rap) in 2013 with so many diverse artists around in 2013 alone, just shows ignorance of the art form outside of what he choses to listen to, even if he was only peeping white rappers. Cliffy probably turned on the radio, heard Macklemore - Same Love, and decided to make that comment after hearing a couple of Young Money tracks on the same station.

So Lux vs. Hollow happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7LvXyCL70&feature=youtu.be

Who do y'all think won?

I need to know the half black/half asian woman's name before I put on my iron man suit. I only save righteous young women (*scoffs at alleged hoes*) that are legal.

Lolaca something, just go to the site I linked. Her name is there.

And Hollow won that; this was solidified the moment he brought out Calico's dad.

It's about sales at the end of the day. Kendrick didn't sell as many albums as Macklemore and none of his songs were hits like Macklemores despite having the better album. Like zombie lorde getting all those awards last night for one song.

That's probably the reason some of the Grammy committee didn't want Macklemore in the Rap category/felt he was a pop act. They wanted an excuse to keep him out of there so they could give Kendrick the win.

You know good and well charity/"we need to look like we aren't a popularity contest" awards don't count. On "average" the show is a popularity contest.

Edit: Thanks Angelus Errare

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/01/24/macklmor

Nah, Esperanza won because the Grammy Committee is her main demographic. It's who they personally listen to, followed by who they know/heard of, followed by sales Which is why Bieber lost to Esperanza; Probably everyone in that committee listen to Esperanza in their cars, I doubt many of them play Bieber. Lorde's album and singles didn't sell nearly as well as many of the artists she was up against. But I imagine they've heard of her or even listen to her (Soccer moms play the shit outta Royale for some reason).

kendrick learnt from lord yeezus. gotta scream to get that energy.

also yelawolf's screamed out verse in gun plus a mask was one of the best last year.

Kreed

Nah, Esperanza won because the Grammy Committee is her main demographic. It's who they personally listen to, followed by who they know/heard of, followed by sales Which is why Bieber lost to Esperanza; Probably everyone in that committee listen to Esperanza in their cars, I doubt many of them play Bieber. Lorde's album and singles didn't sell nearly as well as many of the artists she was up against. But I imagine they've heard of her or even listen to her (Soccer moms play the shit outta Royale for some reason).

All true, but it's still a popularity contest at the end of the day, not who's most talented/better reviews which is why most people are upset about Kendrick. Did you see this picture posted in Gaf Hop?

eN14LcY.jpg

That's the voting breakdown for the Grammy votes and who got what percentage. Whether it's about radio spins, sales, or who people know, it's popularity.

I need clarification. But if its because of the obvious then good shit brother

I don't know who 4 of those people are, but I heard Mackclemore on NPR so I know he must be hip.
And welcome back

All true, but it's still a popularity contest at the end of the day, not who's most talented/better reviews which is why most people are upset about Kendrick. Did you see this picture posted in Gaf Hop?

eN14LcY.jpg

That's the voting breakdown for the Grammy votes and who got what percentage. Whether it's about radio spins, sales, or who people know, it's popularity.

That shit is downright comical and sad. Just wow.

It's weird though, I remember listening to Macklemore on random Seattle hip-hop songs from like 5-6 years ago, and posting on FB about "this Thrift Shop song that's kinda funny" way before he blew up
before it was cool #sohipster
. And I still dig the album. As a complete work, I definitely think GKMC is way better, but I don't think The Heist is shitty or anything. Certainly better than Magna Carta Holy Fuck There's Only Like 4 Good Songs On Here.

So on one hand, I'm kinda proud of the dude. But at the same time, I understand how the game works, lol.

I bet there's gonna be a Kendrick/Macklemore collaboration at some point though. Macklemore trying to win the respect of hip-hop heads, and Kendrick trying to get some of that teen white girl money. Bank on it!

J10

Banned
OK, so based on those percentages I guess Kendrick is the most niggerish. The voting makes sense.

Nah, thats just my imagination.

There are a Lotta damn lurkers watching our comments......

Anywho I think we are all in agreement that The Heist was not a bad album but it was in Noway shape form or fashion better then GKMC. I mean when the artist himself agrees with this......

This is just another thing that's suspect.

So I just watched the Lorde performance from the Grammy's.

1. Sh really did look like someone was expelling a demon from her.
2. It made one of my cats growl and hiss at my tablet.
3. I'm laughing uncontrollably.

So I just watched the Lorde performance from the Grammy's.

1. Sh really did look like someone was expelling a demon from her.
2. It made one of my cats growl and hiss at my tablet.
3. I'm laughing uncontrollably.

Like I side some call me when she discovers the emotion of joy & the ability to express it.

Yeah I'm being mean Lorde, I'm sorry...you still dance funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom