• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
White Castle is goat drunk food.

Nah.....

Waffle House is AMAZING drunk food.

Been lurkin a while, guess I'll join the fun.

Where you're from- Georgia
Do you know your roots- uhh my dad does lol
Your Age-21
Favorite musical genre- I listen to everything
Your profession/major/career interest- trying to become an aeronautical engineer, but sadly I"m not doing well.
Your religious affiliation- I'm christian but I'm not very religious at all.
Hobbies- games, working out, uhh I used to play basketball but not anymore.

Welcome to the show....

KFC or Popeyes?
Grits/Sugar or Hot Sauce?

Gorillaz

Went into a 5 guys once.

Seen the prices, said nope.
Can't go to five guys but can easily take a bullet going to church's....I don't even...

you ain't lived yet until you ate at five guys, so greasy, so expensive, so painful to the system...

yet worth it

Black people need to infiltrate and dominate NASCAR.

First we need to work on Olympic sports. Both summer and winter. Nascar will be next

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Been lurkin a while, guess I'll join the fun.

Where you're from- Georgia
Do you know your roots- uhh my dad does lol
Your Age-21
Favorite musical genre- I listen to everything
Your profession/major/career interest- trying to become an aeronautical engineer, but sadly I"m not doing well.
Your religious affiliation- I'm christian but I'm not very religious at all.
Hobbies- games, working out, uhh I used to play basketball but not anymore.

Welcome! :D

DominoKid

NC drunk food special

350.jpg

DominoKid

you know i really didn't think it was that important that Sue and Johnny be the same race.

is them being blood siblings really that important? it's not like they'd have less of a relationship if he's her adopted brother.

harSon

Banned
The twitter reactions to Michael B Jordan as Johnny Storm will be glorious.

Edit:

you know i really didn't think it was that important that Sue and Johnny be the same race.

is them being blood siblings really that important? it's not like they'd have less of a relationship if he's her adopted brother.

Props to Marvel if Susan Storm/Kate Mara is adopted into a black family, but we all know there's about a .01% chance of that happening.

Its a powerful dynamic. Hence why the tagline is the "First Family of the Marvel Universe".
I personally dont know how I feel about the casting. I like MBJ as an actor. But that Ben Grimm casting though.... I can tell they are going in the whole puny guy turns into big strong dude but I dont know. We just have to wait and see. The casting alone has already drummed up some buzz so this will be watched under mad scrutiny.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The twitter reactions to Michael B Jordan as Johnny Storm will be glorious.

Edit:

Props to Marvel if Susan Storm/Kate Mara is adopted into a black family, but we all know there's about a .01% chance of that happening.

the thing about that is jordan has been marked as johnny for a while now. if theres backlash its due to people not paying attention

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't really like him as Johnny Storm. I have no problem with him specifically, I just feel like it's the coward's way out as far as casting for diversity goes. Hollywood seems too scared to make a movie that's actually just about a black superhero, or a black superhero family, but scared NOT to have a person of color in the movie, but again too scared to cast Johnny AND Sue as a black brother and sister. Same reason we randomly got a latin american Sue last time.

Fucking commit one way or the other, and then give me my goddamn Black Panther movie you slow-ass Hollywood assholes.

I don't really like him as Johnny Storm. I have no problem with him specifically, I just feel like it's the coward's way out as far as casting for diversity goes. Hollywood seems too scared to make a movie that's actually just about a black superhero, or a black superhero family, but scared NOT to have a person of color in the movie, but again too scared to cast Johnny AND Sue as a black brother and sister. Same reason we randomly got a latin american Sue last time.

Fucking commit one way or the other, and then give me my goddamn Black Panther movie you slow-ass Hollywood assholes.

I feel you on this.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

i felt the same way about miles morales announcement.

i felt the same way about miles morales announcement.

These.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

This is...a really good post.

Maybe I'm not nerdy enough but comic movie castings never change my mood.

Glad MBJ is getting a big role after That Awkward Moment. Should be good for his future prospects, he'll need the exposure for when he eventually eats Will Smith.

ReiGun

I like the casting. *shrugs*

I took it as a coward's way of dealing with diversity as well.

Talk up diversity as long as it's not the main character brehs

It's the Fantastic Four; they're all the main characters. :p

Hell, MBJ was the first person they pursued and confirmed. It's entirely possible the movie will be centered around Johnny.

Gorillaz

I like the casting. *shrugs*

It's the Fantastic Four; they're all the main characters. :p

Hell, MBJ was the first person they pursued and confirmed. It's entirely possible the movie will be centered around Johnny.

lol I meant it in general and Superhero movies. FF is kinda of a different story

Dabanton

Just saw that Fantastic Four thread. As I said in there I love the castings, all good actors. I would say that MBJ has been tagged for the role for a while. Is it tokenism? from the amount of films homeboy has been in his on the rise, I think his there on merit. I will agree that Hollywood goes hot and cold on these things. No way for instance would they have casted a black Sue Storm and Johnny Storm that would have made it a 'black' movie by default.

Same reason I think Marvel still hasn't gotten a Black Panther movie off the ground. It's all funny when you consider that it was Blade that kicked off this comic book film rush. Consider that film had a black male and female lead.

Kreed

Johnny Storm: "My mother was a crack head prostitute who abandoned me when I was 5 for a 40 ounce and an 8 ball. Susan's mother (played by Sandra Bullock) adopted me and I have been the typical angry black youth ever since."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom