• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wont do it.

Are you suuuuure?
wKzGLsq.png

How would a legion of Spike Lee avatars go over?

It would upset those who subscribe to the "Spike Lee is an asshole" newsletter.

I know he probably has said some things, but I don't follow the man closely enough to know what people hate about him.

All I know are a few of his movies and the fact that Jordan crushed his spirit that one time in the NBA playoffs.

harSon

Banned
Fam, why is Spike Lee called a bigot and racist?

I never get it. He is one of the few brothers in the media that talks about race, but why is talking about race and racism equated with ''bigotry'?

Black, outspoken and brash seems to be a fairly volatile combination with a lot of people. I personally don't care for Spike Lee as a person, especially in recent times, but I always find it funny that people have no issue separating the fact that Polanski is a rapist and the movies he makes. They have no issue separating that Woody Allen is a pedophile at worst (and sick fuck at best) and the movies he makes. Mel Gibson is a racist, anti-semetic and all around Grade-A asshole, but that doesn't stop people from watching his movies or wanting him to kickstart his acting/directing career. Separating the art from the artist seems to be a fairly popular practice that's not extended to Spike Lee for whatever reason. He's no where near as morally repugnant as the before mentioned, and yet the hatred for him eclipses theres by a significant margin, to the point where reality is revised in such a way where he's never had a good movie to his name.

Gorillaz

Spike is like that old school uncle you had that has obviously seen some shit (like dude in the movie The Butler) and one who is proud of the culture to the point he sometimes don't realize how it came come off and is stubborn as hell. Bitter as hell too.

That said I liked Malcolm X and Inside Man, wish he would have done more stuff like IM

Fam, why is Spike Lee called a bigot and racist?

I never get it. He is one of the few brothers in the media that talks about race, but why is talking about race and racism equated with ''bigotry'?
Because he speaks his mind. Any time a black man or person of color speaks freely and openly about their feelings, it is considered bigotry and racism. Never mind that Spike Lee has friends of all colors, or that his movies have put some of the most esteemed actors of all colors on the map.

Unless you are Docile and agreeable, or wear a dress, you are a problem. You already know what it is.

harSon

Banned
Spike is like that old school uncle you had that has obviously seen some shit (like dude in the movie The Butler) and one who is proud of the culture to the point he sometimes don't realize how it came come off and is stubborn as hell. Bitter as hell too.

That said I liked Malcolm X and Inside Man, wish he would have done more stuff like IM

I think he should take a break from feature films and flex his documentary film making muscle, because he's extremely underrated in that regard. When the Levees Broke and 4 Little Girls in particular are fantastic. It doesn't hurt that there's not really a lot of documentaries about the black experience, from a black filmmakers perspective, being released - so it's definitely something I could see him doing well in.

Gorillaz

I think he should take a break from feature films and flex his documentary film making muscle, because he's extremely underrated in that regard. When the Levees Broke and 4 Little Girls in particular are fantastic. It doesn't hurt that there's not really a lot of documentaries about the black experience, from a black filmmakers perspective, being released - so it's definitely something I could see him doing well in.

Spike would definitely benefit more from docu's. That seems a little more up his alley right now.

He's still trying that kickstarter project right? I know he has been talking up a School Daze 2 lately.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I love almost all his output, I just love it when he works. He has a voice that should be heard and comes at a lot with a perspective a lot of people don't want to hear, but it's important. When the Levees Broke is so good.

How do some of you get banned so often...

HTown killed some dude in the 3DS Shinobi thread so bad that I was scared to reply for fear of the ban hammer. It was a console-war Vita vs 3DS thing, but DAMN it was quite a smack down.

yeah they banned him. Sometimes it's worth it.

HTown killed some dude in the 3DS Shinobi thread so bad that I was scared to reply for fear of the ban hammer. It was a console-war Vita vs 3DS thing, but DAMN it was quite a smack down.

yeah they banned him. Sometimes it's worth it.

They are both BCT regulars. You gotta know who you dealing with when HTown in a thread with you though. He come at cats like Supa Hot Fire.

They are both BCT regulars. You gotta know who you dealing with when HTown in a thread with you though. He come at cats like Supa Hot Fire.

Yeah. They weren't ready.
When I said "Sometimes it's worth it", I mean sometimes it's worth saying something grimy and getting banned. Didn't want to imply that I thought HTown should get banned...

It was hilarious, though...

Black, outspoken and brash seems to be a fairly volatile combination with a lot of people. I personally don't care for Spike Lee as a person, especially in recent times, but I always find it funny that people have no issue separating the fact that Polanski is a rapist and the movies he makes. They have no issue separating that Woody Allen is a pedophile at worst (and sick fuck at best) and the movies he makes. Mel Gibson is a racist, anti-semetic and all around Grade-A asshole, but that doesn't stop people from watching his movies or wanting him to kickstart his acting/directing career. Separating the art from the artist seems to be a fairly popular practice that's not extended to Spike Lee for whatever reason. He's no where near as morally repugnant as the before mentioned, and yet the hatred for him eclipses theres by a significant margin, to the point where reality is revised in such a way where he's never had a good movie to his name.

Alleged.

People have a problem with Spike because he's black and loud.

Yeah. They weren't ready.
When I said "Sometimes it's worth it", I mean sometimes it's worth saying something grimy and getting banned. Didn't want to imply that I thought HTown should get banned...

It was hilarious, though...

Nah didn't take it that way. Was just implying that people who aren't in this thread can sometimes take what HTown says out of context. Hell he's come at me and a few others in this thread before. It's all good and yes it was hilarious.

Also BCT; that other thread my man said he paid 250 for a massage and BJ???

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nah didn't take it that way. Was just implying that people who aren't in this thread can sometimes take what HTown says out of context. Hell he's come at me and a few others in this thread before. It's all good and yes it was hilarious.

He paid 250 without knowing if he got the happy ending? That's an expensive-ass massage without that being communicated.

Slayven

3 figures? I will need more then that.

J10

Banned
I was woken up from a nap by my own obnoxious snoring. In my dream I was walking across a campus trying to get to a class and my throat was making this noise that I couldn't figure out how to stop. I was getting more and more self conscious as I got closer to the classroom because I didn't want people to hear me making this awful sound. I could feel myself trying to cut off the sound but it would just keep happening. I woke up just as I sat down in class. My snoring was it's own character in my dream. I can still hear it. It's haunting me.

akira28

Spike goes in, and lots of people feel threatened by that.

My snoring was it's own character in my dream. I can still hear it. It's haunting me.

I had a dream that was a cross between Team Fortress 2 and a former place of employment. And realizing how much the boss' daughter was complete waifu material.

edit: re waiting for sex, I mean, thats ok and all, but fuck the holding it out like a carrot bullshit. If it's such an issue, there are probably some other issues hidden in all that baggage she keeps in the closet by the door. Some things I don't fuck with when it comes to sex and religion..

Gorillaz

Have yall found yourselves not fucking with social media/networking much anymore? Like I barely check my facebook (nothing but family on there, love them but they spam me links to games and candy crush ever 4 hours), I only follow a group of friends and funny dudes on there, not really in a "Drake" mode or dying of thirst to check out that.

Idk what it is but honestly I'm barely checking for social media shit. Other then the usual struggle/funny Worldstar and Rachetmess stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom