• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Giant Bomb is streaming NBA Live, come join the comedy

Been fading in and out since the guys been looking/acting bored. Same happened last week, it's mainly due to the longer the stream goes the more critical they get.

and it's been going for like 6 hours

Slayven

Better idea than buying a Vita.

Some people don't buy WiiU because they think it's just a console accessory.

Vita actually is just a console accessory.

At least you can buy a vita and coast on free games from plus. WIi U you have to wait 6 months to a year to spend your money with the hope of only being disappointed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo thought 3DS wasn't gonna sell enough so they took out the 3D.

Sony looked at Vita sales and took out the screen, the touch pads, the buttons, the sticks, the case, stuck that shit in a little white box and said "I don't know, here's a usb and hdmi port; stick this under the TV or something."

FyreWulff

People thinking a console selling a million means there won't be a market contraction? All of these people worked at the failed banks of 2008, didn't they

zero_suit

People thinking a console selling a million means there won't be a market contraction? All of these people worked at the failed banks of 2008, didn't they

Yeah, next year will give us a much better idea of where the industry is headed. It definitely will contract since there will be nothing to make up for the lost Wii (100 million+) sales.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Nintendo thought 3DS wasn't gonna sell enough so they took out the 3D.

Sony looked at Vita sales and took out the screen, the touch pads, the buttons, the sticks, the case, stuck that shit in a little white box and said "I don't know, here's a usb and hdmi port; stick this under the TV or something."

its to go after people that dont want to game on handhelds. what was the purpose of removing the 3d on something you can turn it off of?

Deprive

Julie Cash or Kiara Marie

Julie Cash is a product of GMOs from the 24th Century.

Dude that's working on his degrees that's envious of us, don't feel any type of way about it. Your alumni network is more valuable than any of us that didn't serve our country. Learn from the mistakes of those us that failed to use our degrees or live our dreams. Your time will come but keep grinding til then. Degrees are overrated. IMHO, network matters more than degrees.

PAWG Kiara Marie or latin Kiara Marie?

There probably will be a contraction, but the next gen consoles will do well. And no I don't include the Wii U in that. Also stop hatin on the Vita already, it's going to continue to get games. 3DS at this point has pretty much blown its load.

Just wish that 179 would be a perm price drop :\

zero_suit

PAWG Kiara Marie or latin Kiara Marie?

There probably will be a contraction, but the next gen consoles will do well. And no I don't include the Wii U in that. Also stop hatin on the Vita already, it's going to continue to get games. 3DS at this point has pretty much blown its load.

Just wish that 179 would be a perm price drop :\

Its best game is available on another platform (Persona 4).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They never stopped.

Its purty looking but outside of that... its had glaring issues that never got hammered out. Its one rung above SF x T.

i was hella tempted to get sfXt during one of those steam sales, but all i could hear was people bitching about it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i was hella tempted to get sfXt during one of those steam sales, but all i could hear was people bitching about it.

Its a great concept, looks awesome, looks playable and functional at first glance

then after 5 games you realize its poo. but to fix it, you'd need to drastically alter the hard points of the game.

Killer Instinct is NOT as bad as SFxT. The issue with it though is that's overdesigned around very simple shit.

Onemic

Do you guys lock in on a bad post and then extrapolate dozens of posts thereafter? Cause I've seen pretty much nothing but positive feedback as far as gameplay and mechanics are concerned.

In the FGC thread? I've pretty much seen the exact opposite. Those reviews werent too hot either...

FyreWulff

Yeah, next year will give us a much better idea of where the industry is headed. It definitely will contract since there will be nothing to make up for the lost Wii (100 million+) sales.

People seem to want to claim victory so damn fast, and have consoles wrapped up in their personal identity. Opening success does not guarantee continued success. So many things have opened well then crashed.

Case in point: Halo 4 was the fastest selling Halo for it's opening week, but it's also the fastest declining Halo post-launch in history. You've got to wait to get a more comparable picture.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Do you guys lock in on a bad post and then extrapolate dozens of posts thereafter? Cause I've seen pretty much nothing but positive feedback as far as gameplay and mechanics are concerned.

I've put more hours into fighting games than I'll ever be proud of.

The content stuff is purely subjective imo. The fact that its a God of War: Ascension of fighting games is the problem. Everything that wasn't a concept directly ported over from the original is a pre-reworked Skullgirls clusterfuck.

It won't have any life past niche circles. The gameplay is going to leave a lot of the more persistent and dependable fighting game players to throw it in the bushes. And you really can't afford to rub them the wrong way. Just look at Capcom. And they were too big to fail. So if you like it, good for you. But the market for fighting games really doesn't support itself well when it depends on casual buyers.

Its not even like people focus on one post either. You watch enough fighting games and you realize immediately "This is gonna be some bullshit"

That can work out if its MEANT to be like that and the game is designed to highlight that aspect of ridiculousness. But KI? Its not. Its really not. That's why its met with an eye roll from the FGC.

its to go after people that dont want to game on handhelds. what was the purpose of removing the 3d on something you can turn it off of?

cheaper model to produce (more money for them!!) that doesn't have 3d at all for the people who are worried about their young kids fucking up their eyes looking at 3D

SFxT was a great idea done under by their willingness not to get rid of that goddamn gem system. I understand trying to be different and knew it was gonna be a problem trying to put 3d characters on a 2d plane but god. It just didnt feel right. I got turned off the game by pre-patch Rufus. How the fuck you gonna have a divekick thats plus frames on block.

As much as I want a new KI that shit still looks doubtful. But I will give it a shot when I snatch up both consoles. But lets be honest as much as I didnt give a shit for the new MK and Injustice, it gave a lot of content. And in this day and age thats whats needed behind solid mechanics and playability.

Imm0rt4l

Fighting game enthusiasts dont care what casual/non fighting game players think.

harSon

Banned
Can someone point me to these discussions where Killer Instinct is getting shit on by the fighting game community? I've been on several forums, and I'm just not seeing it?

Wynnebeck

Banned
If you're deeply worried about the videogame industry, I'd suggest jumping all the way into CS, maybe focus on mobile or web software development. Web/mobile is humming along and has a lot of overlap with what you're learning already, and you could always go back into videogames professionally if you chose to because your skills would still be relevant to that industry.

Also, there are plenty of career paths with a 4-year CS degree as opposed to a BA in Game Design or or BS in Game Software or something.

Dude that's working on his degrees that's envious of us, don't feel any type of way about it. Your alumni network is more valuable than any of us that didn't serve our country. Learn from the mistakes of those us that failed to use our degrees or live our dreams. Your time will come but keep grinding til then. Degrees are overrated. IMHO, network matters more than degrees.

I'm going full into CS since I know that if I can not get into the game industry, I can still take my knowledge into other fields. I have some contacts in the videogame industry (mainly from marketing), but I'm hoping to branch out once I can get this Associate's to start.

I played the hell out of SFxT. My main issues with the game was that it was designed so ugly. Some of my favorite Tekken characters looked like straight trolls. (Marshall Law, Paul) hell even the design on Heihachi was terrible. Took the seriousness out of the Tekken characters and gave them that Capcom troll look.

Also the game just looked plain ugly when playing it. I don't even know if I have to mention DLC gems and auto block gems. :/

The gameplay of SFxT I felt was fine. Except from amount of 50/50's that came with the high/low opportunities that a lot of Tekken characters had off of strings. Didn't mind it that much though.

My day 1 team of Hwoarang/Steve was decent, mixed in with Marshall Law. Tried to get good with Christie when the patch came but she didn't really seem worth the time. Eventually went back to SF4. I noticed Steve's damage was OP after having Vanilla for like 2 days. His footsies were garbage though. And if you got hit by his grab, then it was over lol.

I only really play fighting games. I never played the original KI, so I don't get the nostalgia factor from people buying the game. Just looking at it though.. the design looks pretty cool. I really don't care for the design of any of the characters (I always go for the black character lol). The announcer seems he's yelling a bit TOO much
ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa
the gameplay looks a bit weird. Then again I never played the older ones so I don't know what to expect if I ever do play it.

ReiGun

So for the last week, I've been at my old college helping with a charity event I and some friends created 3 years ago with gaming club. We managed to raise $2485 for Penny-Arcade's Child's Play, with $1152 of that coming from just tonight.

Man, between this and the Zenimax thing, all I need is a fine ass Blasian girl and this will pretty much be the perfect week for me.

Gamasutra?
A friend of mine pointed me to their site; they had open positions listed on there. Searching Indeed pulled up some stuff too.

congrats. you a programmer, artist or something else ?
QA Tester.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm going full into CS since I know that if I can not get into the game industry, I can still take my knowledge into other fields. I have some contacts in the videogame industry (mainly from marketing), but I'm hoping to branch out once I can get this Associate's to start.

Good! Plus, you never know what your interests are two years from now. A CS degree has so many avenues for you.

Imm0rt4l

]I played the hell out of SFxT. My main issues with the game was that it was designed so ugly. Some of my favorite Tekken characters looked like straight trolls. (Marshall Law, Paul) hell even the design on Heihachi was terrible. Took the seriousness out of the Tekken characters and gave them that Capcom troll look.
[/B]
Also the game just looked plain ugly when playing it. I don't even know if I have to mention DLC gems and auto block gems. :/

The gameplay of SFxT I felt was fine. Except from amount of 50/50's that came with the high/low opportunities that a lot of Tekken characters had off of strings. Didn't mind it that much though.

My day 1 team of Hwoarang/Steve was decent, mixed in with Marshall Law. Tried to get good with Christie when the patch came but she didn't really seem worth the time. Eventually went back to SF4. I noticed Steve's damage was OP after having Vanilla for like 2 days. His footsies were garbage though. And if you got hit by his grab, then it was over lol.

I only really play fighting games. I never played the original KI, so I don't get the nostalgia factor from people buying the game. Just looking at it though.. the design looks pretty cool. I really don't care for the design of any of the characters (I always go for the black character lol). The announcer seems he's yelling a bit TOO much
ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa
the gameplay looks a bit weird. Then again I never played the older ones so I don't know what to expect if I ever do play it.

The problem with sfxt is that they used sf4 as a base which is an inherently ugly game to begin with. Par for the course really. I have sfxt and haven't touched it since the update. I thought the game was going to be ass but got sucked into the hype of crosscounter thinking that maybe it would actually be decent. I was wrong, but apparently has since been fixed. Problem is I want to play as dudley and I can't justify paying for the dlc, so I'll just not continue not playing sfxt I guess.

The problem with sfxt is that they used sf4 as a base which is an inherently ugly game to begin with. Par for the course really. I have sfxt and haven't touched it since the update. I thought the game was going to be ass but got sucked into the hype of crosscounter thinking that maybe it would actually be decent. I was wrong, but apparently has since been fixed. Problem is I want to play as dudley and I can't justify paying for the dlc, so I'll just not continue not playing sfxt I guess.

I picked up Dudley with the update.. he was so good. Kinda cheap tbh. Safe MGB's, stupid fast walk speed, j.HK has ground bounce lol.

But yea I just wasn't interested in the game after 2 weeks of the update, and watching the top players just go to Chun Li was so boring. Hate that character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom