• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who loves SF4 artstyle, SFxT looks like ass to me. Its like they turned up the contrast on them mothafuckas to 11, then gave them all Hakan oil mode, and then decided to have them constantly flashing colors was aesthetically pleasing.

Onemic

Good! Plus, you never know what your interests are two years from now. A CS degree has so many avenues for you.

I wish I took CS instead of my BA. Didn't want to spend another 4 years in uni, so I just took a programming course with co-op instead. Diploma and its 3 years, but you work as an intern for one of the years.

I do wonder if it will still be worth taking CS or if I can ride my experience off this program.

Imm0rt4l

Yea the contrast doesn't help at all and the colors are pretty over saturated imo. Also when they import the stages to ultra, I hope they change the pit stop 109's annoying jpop music. Seriously who thought that shit was a good idea.

ReiGun

I was willing to look past how ugly SFxTK is because, hey, I already did it with SF4. But then when it was also slow and boring as fuck to play and watch, I couldn't do it. I can't even justify getting now that the price has dropped.

Details please

Passed some crazy shithead at the bus stop before going into a bar to waste time. Go to the next stop. Crazy followed me and my friend to the stop. We weren't entertaining him so he waltzed into a bar kitty corner from us. They kick him out obviously because he keeps taking his tall boy with him everywhere. Before and after he goes into the bar he makes remarks about how "he loves us kids" and to refer to him as "daddy." I was mute the whole time.

He keeps talking nonsense, eventually says, "you fuckers don't know how to celebrate life." Before this he touched my friend to which she told him no to do that. I'm wondering if it's going to escalate but the bus comes to save us, or so I think. For whatever reason the bus driver let's him on with HIS BEER and expired pass but before we retreat to the back my friend warns the bus driver "you have a handful."

He positioned himself so he was staring at us the whole time from the front of the bus while he's yelling whatever the fuck he's yelling, we can't hear it. At some point he gets the bright idea to approach us in the back, BEER IN HAND OF COURSE. And I just about had enough. I started screaming that he needed to get his ass to the front of the damn bus and leave us alone. Up until now I had basically said fuck all but just a torrent of very angry and demanding words came from my mouth. I don't even think I swore but he was so caught off guard and all of a sudden the bus driver yells "YOU'RE OFF AT THE NEXT STOP." He gets his shit and leaves.

FyreWulff

Passed some crazy shithead at the bus stop before going into a bar to waste time. Go to the next stop. Crazy followed me and my friend to the stop. We weren't entertaining him so he waltzed into a bar kitty corner from us. They kick him out obviously because he keeps taking his tall boy with him everywhere. Before and after he goes into the bar he makes remarks about how "he loves us kids" and to refer to him as "daddy." I was mute the whole time.

He keeps talking nonsense, eventually says, "you fuckers don't know how to celebrate life." Before this he touched my friend to which she told him no to do that. I'm wondering if it's going to escalate but the bus comes to save us, or so I think. For whatever reason the bus driver let's him on with HIS BEER and expired pass but before we retreat to the back my friend warns the bus driver "you have a handful."

He positioned himself so he was staring at us the whole time from the front of the bus while he's yelling whatever the fuck he's yelling, we can't hear it. At some point he gets the bright idea to approach us in the back, BEER IN HAND OF COURSE. And I just about had enough. I started screaming that he needed to get his ass to the front of the damn bus and leave us alone. Up until now I had basically said fuck all but just a torrent of very angry and demanding words came from my mouth. I don't even think I swore but he was so caught off guard and all of a sudden the bus driver yells "YOU'RE OFF AT THE NEXT STOP." He gets his shit and leaves.

That's some scary ass shit but it seems you dealt with it. Hate people that do that what I call the "slow corner" where they try to block you in / won't go away. And it always seems like people that should help you don't seem to read that the person is following/harrassing you.

Yea the contrast doesn't help at all and the colors are pretty over saturated imo. Also when they import the stages to ultra, I hope they change the pit stop 109's annoying jpop music. Seriously who thought that shit was a good idea.

Japan did.

Well this makes me think of a question. Whats your favorite fighting game stage music? Rather favorite game music that isnt Chrono Trigger?

Fallen Colony(Tekken 6)
Lightning Storm(Tekken 6)
Moonlit Wilderness(Tekken 5)
Cody's Theme(SSF4)
Rocket Raccoon Theme(UMvC3)
Juri's Theme(SSF4)
To Troll the fuck out of people when I am playing her.
Socom 4 Main Theme
Dragons Dogma Main Theme
Glacius Theme(KI:Gold)

cdyhybrid

Not really experienced with fighting games so I can't really comment on that, but the Zelda and Megaman games would probably be next on the list.

Banjo Kazooie was incredible too, but I only played the first one. Mario games have really been stepping it up lately, the Galaxy games in particular.

Final Fantasy has got a lot of greatness in there too.

I'll try and put together a list of my favorites.

Storm Eagle (Mega Man X)
Spark Mandrill (Mega Man X)
Boomer Kuwanger (Mega Man X)

Gerudo Valley (Ocarina of Time)
Forest Temple (Ocarina of Time)
Fire Temple (Ocarina of Time)
Song of Storms (Ocarina of Time)
Ending Theme (Ocarina of Time)
Ending Theme (Twilight Princess)
Legend of Zelda Main Theme

Freezeezy Peak (Banjo Kazooie)
Treasure Trove Cove (Banjo Kazooie)
Final Battle (Banjo Kazooie)

Jolly Roger Bay/Dire Dire Docks (Mario 64) <--- probably the biggest nostalgia bomb I felt putting this list together
Slider (Mario 64)
Gusty Garden Galaxy (Mario Galaxy)
Fight Against Monsters (Mario RPG)
Fight Against A Somewhat Stronger Monster (Mario RPG)
Fight Against Smithie (Mario RPG)

Overworld/Main Theme (FF4)
Celes' Theme (FF6)
Terra's Theme (FF6)
Jenova Theme (FF7)
Aeris' Theme (FF7) the feels ;-;
Turks' Theme (FF7)
Red XIII's Theme
Costa Del Sol (FF7)
Eyes On Me (FF8) cheesy, but I loved FF8 and I'm a sucker for shit like Rinoa/Squall
To Zanarkand (FF10)
Thunder Plains (FF10)
Suteki Da Ne (FF10)

Finally, I gotta campaign for my favorite RPG ever, Earthbound:

Your Name Please
Fourside
Runaway 5 Left the Building
Onett
Kraken
Get On The Bus
Enjoy Your Stay
Dalaam
Title Screen

Long ass post but there you go!

Oh, and every single rendition of Rainbow Road in the Mario Kart games.

DominoKid

Ken's SF2 theme. I had that as my ringer for a while.
Tekken 5 had a pretty cool soundtrack overall. I think I actually bought that one. Law, Jin, Xiaoyu, Heihachi in Tekken 3 are dope.
Guilty Gear has some dope songs. Ky's theme is my favorite from that.
I don't really remember a lot of themes from games like Alpha 3, Darkstalkers (series) or Soul Calibur (series) since it's been so long since I played them. Nightmare had a nice one in SC2
Soul Edge/Blade opening is burned in my brain forever.

Deprive

Goenitz theme - trash head.

Outside of Soul Edge and Guilty Gear. I don't care for most fighting game music.

Now overall video game music.
Nier
PSO
FF13
Devil May Cry
Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma
Ico

Kreed

Not sure if this has been posted on GAF before, but figured I'd share a link here that I thought was a good read:

It was 1983 and Davis was playing country western music in an (informally) all-white lounge. He was the only black musician in the place and when his set was over, a man approached him. “He came up to me and said he liked my piano playing,” says Davis, “then he told me this was the first time he heard a black man play as well as Jerry Lee Lewis.” Davis, somewhat amused, explained to the man: “Jerry Lee learned to play from black blues and boogie woogie piano players and he’s a friend of mine. He told me himself where he learned to play.” At first, Davis says, the man was skeptical that Jerry Lee Lewis had been schooled by black musicians, but Davis went on to explain in more detail. “He was fascinated,” says Davis, “but he didn’t believe me. Then, he told me he was a Klansman.”

Most people in this day and age probably would have turned and ran right out of that good ol’ boy’s bar, but not Davis. He stayed and talked with the Klansman for a long time. “At first, I thought ‘why the hell am I sitting with him?’ but we struck up a friendship and it was music that brought us together,” he says.

That friendship would lead Davis on a path almost unimaginable to most folks. Today, Davis is not only a musician, he is a person who befriends KKK members and, as a result, collects the robes and hoods of Klansmen who choose to leave the organization because of their friendship with him.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/kkk-m...-joke-and-what-happens-next-will-astound-you/

Imm0rt4l

ctrl+f "moonlit wilderness"

Good man Rio

Street Fighter Alpha 2 has the best ost of any street fighter game, stages too.

Ryu
Charlie
Gen
Akuma
ryu vs sagat
zangief...shit the entire thing basically.

Tekken consistently has great ost's. That's one thing you can pretty much always look forward too, new original music. the arranged versions of classics in ttt2 were pretty damn good too.

edit: shit, I'm gonna make a playlist right fucking now for my workout today.
zangief....shit the entire ost basically

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I just want a fucking reboot of rival schools

Capcom....why.....

because it isnt street fighter or street fighter related outside cameo appearances. its the same reason power stone will most likely rot alongside darkstalkers and slammasters

So I'm all for this FSU girl getting throttled if she manufactured a rape charge, but it's pretty sickening how quickly people are looking for her twitter, posting her picture and spreading rumors with no sources.

DominoKid

I wish Capcom would at least make an All-Stars type game for the next gen consoles since they don't want to show any love to some of their lesser properties.

Imm0rt4l

reminds me that some people on gaf think that sonic 2 is both a superior game to sonic 3&K and has better music.

I lol'd on both accounts in that thread.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
reminds me that some people on gaf think that sonic 2 is both a superior game to sonic 3&K and has better music.

knuckles is playable in 3&K. that has to dock some points from its overall score

Well this makes me think of a question.

Adon's SFA3 Theme goes hard.

I am one of those people. Sonic 2 was actually my first Sonic game.

The soundtrack is so charming, although Sonic 3 (Did not like the changes they made in Sonic 3&K) has a decent sound track.

Slayven

I love that game so much, I wonder why I never replay it. I remember watching the MTV special on it, hosted by Daisy Fuetes.

Imm0rt4l

Adon's SF3 Theme goes hard.

The soundtrack is so charming, although Sonic 3 (Did not like the changes they made in Sonic 3&K) has a decent sound track.

Not a big fan of alpha 3's music, it's definitely nice in it's own right for sure.

Evil Ryu-Black Power

Adon's SFA3 Theme goes hard.

as far as music goes, sonic 2 has chemical plant, mystic cave and oil ocean I guess. sonic 3&k though is on a whole nother level imo, It's MJ.

I can understand the argument that Sonic 1 is a better game than 3K at least, since they're so completely different when you really take a look at them both. But to say that for Sonic 2? AND for the music? I can't agree with that. That thread was gonna bomb no matter what.

Imm0rt4l

i appreciate alpha 3 because its the last time theyve done anything with ryu storywise other than the roaming warrior thing

street fighter is the most stagnant fighting game series in terms of story really. Maybe in sf5 we'll have a new version of ryu who has has changed other his time training under oro. He'll stay a wandering bum though, I'm sure.

Meanwhile Tekken stays shaking shit up in the story, even if it sometimes for the worse.

JohnDoe

Banned
Snatcher was always one of those game that I really wanted to play, but never got around to it because of how old it is.

You really should play it. Being more of a visual novel it easily stands the test of time. I played it this year and it's one of my favorite games ever.
But I also heard about people complaining the interface is awful by today's standard etc. so idk

Slayven

street fighter is the most stagnant fighting game series in terms of story really. Maybe in sf5 we'll have a new version of ryu who has has changed other his time training under oro. He'll stay a wandering bum though, I'm sure.

Meanwhile Tekken stays shaking shit up in the story, even if it sometimes for the worse.

Why is it fighting games stories get so fucking convoluted and shitty? I am scared to know what Blazblue's story is.

Trey

Much higher chance of alienating diehard fans with stupid ass story decisions than attracting more players with something "new."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom