• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
It's important because it gives indication about future titles and can map franchise fatique. It's the reason why COD changes are incremental. It also gives valuable feedback on where your software/product is falling short at in users' eyes that you can then apply to future versions to maintain attachment ratios. If you ignore such statistics and only continue to chase first day sales, your sales will most likely plummet over time because you're not paying attention to vital feedback you're getting from users.

Diablo 3 is a great example actually. They've been moving back to a more Diablo 2 style game since RoS even going so far as to bring in a new team and get rid of Jay Wilson and crew for the very reasons people are talking about with Halo 5. And as a result their attachment rates for D3 have increased whereas before people continued to leave Diablo 3 faster than they were onboarding new players.

The list of games that died off due to an over insistence of subscribing to the mentality of "if it's not broken, why fix it?" is infinitely larger though. Marginal advancements over the course of a decade is how franchises fall into irrelevancy/fatigue. Unless you're Madden and there's no alternatives :D

Silky

Banned
Whats up with halo? Is the MCC bad, I have been hearing some stuff

MCC's fine. Couple of bugs that'll be patched and a missing Halo: CE playlist, but otherwise it's fine.

H5 is continuing 343's trend of adding shit no one likes, even though they claimed they're doing better in listening to what the community wants.

Village

MCC's fine. Couple of bugs that'll be patched and a missing Halo: CE playlist, but otherwise it's fine.

H5 is continuing 343's trend of adding shit no one likes,
even though they claimed they're doing better in listening to what the community wants.

:/

What did they do

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm okay with change in staple franchises. I love that they changed from survival horror to create resident evil 4. Now I wish they'd change it back. It's good to wish for things

The list of games that died off due to an over insistence of subscribing to the mentality of "if it's not broken, why fix it?" is infinitely larger though. Marginal advancements over the course of a decade is how franchises fall into irrelevancy/fatigue. Unless you're Madden and there's no alternatives :D

This is more a problem of constant releases with little change. Not really something that can be ascribed to either Halo or Diablo.

Halo doesn't release constantly enough to warrant fundamental mechanical changes, especially considering it's upward trend upon each release.

Then there are some formulas that were never going to be viable for long term (people often fail to realize this). Many videogames mechanics are bottled lightning. Unfortunately due to the industry (and by proxy capitalism) developers/publishers try to recapture that lightning repeatedly even going so far as to change the bottle hoping that will make a difference, unable to accept the fact what they created only works a handful of times. The length of time depending entirely on the frequency in which it's released.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This only applies if the stuff being added to H5 was their first time experimenting.

They experimented nd tried something new with H4. They fucked up, and population dropped within months.

Not necessarily. Halo is just one version further than Xrd. They got their feedback about their game with 4, now's the time to revise and address complaints.

There's always a chance they could squander the opportunity, but if they think they can fix their game that's the path they should pursue.

Retro, friend, these are completely different scenarios.

I know how ADS works. There's nothing else it can do but bring down Halo's gameplay.

It's ADS. J10 already laid out why it sucks. Dy did too. I did as well. There's no "wait and see". It's ADS, the most widely used feature in modern shooters. And this feature runs completely counter to everything Halo is about.

The fans understand enough. We don't like it.

So are you guys not going to buy Halo 5?

Diablo 3 is a great example actually. They've been moving back to a more Diablo 2 style game since RoS even going so far as to bring in a new team and get rid of Jay Wilson and crew for the very reasons people are talking about with Halo 5. And as a result their attachment rates for D3 have increased whereas before people continued to leave Diablo 3 faster than they were onboarding new players.

Oh so it's an example of the opposite then.

and I thought Jay Wilson resigned from his position after the "fuck that loser" shit blew up

harSon

Banned
This is more a problem of constant releases with little change. Not really something that can be ascribed to either Halo or Diablo.

Halo doesn't release constantly enough to warrant fundamental mechanical changes, especially considering it's upward trend upon each release.

Then there are some formulas that were never going to be viable for long term (people often fail to realize this). Many videogames mechanics are bottled lightning. Unfortunately due to the industry (and by proxy capitalism) developers/publishers try to recapture that lightning repeatedly even going so far as to change the bottle hoping that will make a difference, unable to accept the fact what they created only works a handful of times. The length of time depending entirely on the frequency in which it's released.

That's not true. The intention behind these games are to be played long term. Whether there's yearly iteration, or consumers are playing the games for years at a time - franchise fatigue can set in. It's not the number of games in itself that contributes to franchise fatigue, it's the fact that there's little to no meaningful advancement through out your experience with the franchise - which happens whether it's yearly iterations with minimal improvements or a game every three years with marginal improvements.

Wow. I don't fuck with most of the people in the Karissa thread.

There are the people that desperately want it to be faked, there are the people that want to talk about anything being for dorks/children when they're on a fucking gaming forum...

EloquentM

aka Mannny

There are the people that desperately want it to be faked, there are the people that want to talk about anything being for dorks/children when they're on a fucking gaming forum...

fuck fgc dorks....now lemmie make this thread in OT about me simping on some chick who doesn't know I exist.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Now that I think about it, RE was a terrible example. RE sales were dieing off and it needed (
xSCPOPg.png
the old re games are still some of my favs) to "modernize" a bit. RE4 changed the way TPS games in general were played, and didn't "borrow" much of anything from anyone else, let alone from any franchises that were dwindling in sales.

I played OG TF and CS. While STEAM wasn't anywhere near as large as it was, TF wasn't doing anywhere near CS numbers, IIRC. Hell, it wasn't even the big multiplayer game on STEAM: CS was. TF needed a change to revitalize.

Tomb Raider wasn't doing numbers, at all.

Marvel...lol

Halo didn't have those issues.

J10

Banned
So are you guys not going to buy Halo 5?

No. I don't buy CoD or Battlefield games either because I don't like the way they play. What happens is I'll play for a day to run through a campaign and play a few multiplayer matches before I lose interest. I played Halo 4 for a month before I got sick of it - before that I had played every Halo title nonstop until the next one.

Do you buy games that you don't really want to play?

Halo MCC: I'm a little ADS on my father's side
My mom grew up with 2 great parents and was a 9/10, my father was just some ain't shit guy that lucked out and got with her by spewing compliments everywhere and had a little Reach. Once they were married he showed his true side (Halo 4) and that is why I'm a jerk faced newage asshole kid

Malyse

I'm hoping that thread doesn't go to the real weird place.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
RE is one of those series that does change up a lot and tries different styles very often. The classics are one group. Then there's RE4, REV, and RE5. Outbreak series and ORC. Chronicles games. And RE6. (I classified them according to gameplay styles)

That's one of the reasons it's well loved despite how many complain about it not being the way they want it.

I can't think of another series atm that has had the same occur.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That's not true. The intention behind these games are to be played long term. Whether there's yearly iteration, or consumers are playing the games for years at a time - franchise fatigue can set in. It's not the number of games in itself that contributes to franchise fatigue, it's the fact that there's little to no meaningful advancement through out your experience with the franchise - which happens whether it's yearly iterations with minimal improvements or a game every three years with marginal improvements.
bruhhhhh

And I really don't think that the lukewarm/part-time shooter crowd even understands why this is a big deal (even after ignoring the huge failure that was Halo 4)

You simply can't cross the streams of arena shooter and ADS. Sprinting in some forms sure, but definitely not both. Fundamentally, its a broken system and VASTLY inferior to what either Halo or the CoDs do. Even Destiny struggled in this regard and even amongst all the concessions they made, they're still looking at a solid year of balancing at best to even consider their basic structure legitimate.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

What thread is this?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
RE is one of those series that does change up a lot and tries different styles very often. The classics are one group. Then there's RE4, REV, and RE5. Outbreak series and ORC. Chronicles games. And RE6. (I classified them according to gameplay styles)

That's one of the reasons it's well loved despite how many complain about it not being the way they want it.

I can't think of another series atm that has had the same occur.

No doubt. Really is a special case.

10 year old beasting people in smash. its on the front page.

Damn. People really are hating on a 10 year old. How lame can you get?

No, it's completely true. What you intend to do with a franchise and how viable it's mechanics are are separate. Of course developers want their games to be long term endeavors, again it's all about profits. Bleed the rock as long as possible, etc. The idea that all game mechanics lend themselves to that is foolish. You control that fatique by the frequency of release, but regardless of how often or how little you release a game. People will get tired of them, nothing stays on top forever. Videogames and other products are no different. That is exaclty why these companies have more than one franchise and why they invest in new ones. Because nothing lasts forever. Very rarely do you get any company that only has one product that remains unchanged (WD40). You're not going to find companies that put all their eggs in one basket. Even with companies like Facebook, they're constantly applying new things (and rolling them out incrementally) to maintain/increase revenue.

The bold isn't true at all. You can innovate as much as you want, but frequency of release does very much play a role in fatigue anyone who has released a product/software will attest to this. If you release too frequently people will get annoyed at constantly feeling like they have to purchase a new version and will feel that their previous purchase was pointless, eventually they'll stop purchasing altogether regardless of how much you "innovated" because consumers will simply look at it and say "meh, they're just going to release a new version in X amount of time anyway". That and if you're always radically changing your product in conjunction with frequent releases then you're scattering/fracturing your userbase and there is no legacy at that point.

Releasing in high frequency works best when you have a commanding control of that particular market (point in case, COD, Madden). Again neither Halo nor Diablo release in high frequency. Diablo 2 came out in 2000, Diablo 3 came out in 2012. Diablo 3's failures stemmed from simplifying the game too much and mechanically breaking the game by forcing players to rely on the auction house in order to progress. There was never a section of gamers who wanted to play a stocks and exchange based loot game. A pointless "innovation" to which Blizzard will tell you was an absolute huge mistake. Hence they removed it after seeing their userbase continuing to drop. Their incremental adjustments to Diablo 3 were in the direction of Diablo 2. They realized they didn't need radical innovations that no one was really asking for. In fact during the Diablo 3 panel at Blizzcon yesterday they stated just that (They were chasing something that wasn't there ignoring how badly it affected the game and how that in turn affected user rentention).

Halo releases with slightly greater frequency, but as I stated. Halo has been on an upward trend with each subsequent release, so your argument of fatigue setting in due to no changes/little changes doesn't apply to Halo at all. It's telling that Halo 2 was still the most played Xbox 1 game on Live well into Xbox 360's life, the playerbase at times eclipsed Halo 3's. That is valuable data, it tells you where your consumers are focused at. Despite many issues with Halo Reach, the userbase continued to play the game long after it's release. The same could not be said for Halo 4 despite selling $20m more in its first 24hr/week than Halo Reach.

There is no fatigue with Halo's formula that prompted the change to the COD formula, and Halo doesn't release with enough frequency to really justify it either. Blindly following trends because they're "in" is a sure fire way to ruin your product, especially when you have data present that highly suggests those who buy into your brand weren't receptive to them.

strobogo

Banned
Halo can suck it. All FPS can suck it. Shaolin Monks is the best MK game by a TON. I wish they would have dropped the traditional fighting game and gone into business as a beat em up full time. I even liked the stupid ass story Konquest modes more than the core fighting game. A real shame it was a one off thing. Game play was fun as shit.

G-Fex

Halo can suck it. All FPS can suck it. Shaolin Monks is the best MK game by a TON. I wish they would have dropped the traditional fighting game and gone into business as a beat em up full time. I even liked the stupid ass story Konquest modes more than the core fighting game. A real shame it was a one off thing. Game play was fun as shit.

you're obviously delusional.

It's been a while since I played halo, I did play halo anniversary edition a while back and found it really really slow and boring. I should just skip to 2 maybe.

Slayven

Silk better ditch that fuckboy 616 Peter and go for Noir Peter
Fight me
This is what happens when you put people who don't like Halo in charge of Halo. Oh well.
You could say it was Destiny.

Ok that shit goes to from a level 2 crazy, to about an 11 really quick. Better than the Bizzy Bone interview.

Village

We're on a video game forum. Actually playing games and going to tournaments is for no life losers

People are calling the people playing the game against her peices of shit.

I have seen the video , did do anything I missed?

Silk better ditch that fuckboy 616 Peter and go for Noir Peter

Question is that ok?

I have always read that as a derogatory homophobic slur, i'm confused here.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
WTF are they teaching a man with schizophrenia fucking mixed martial arts?!?!?!?!?!? no JUST fucking no. the devil tells him to snap someones neck and thats on you sensei!!!

Village

WTF are they teaching a man with schizophrenia fucking mixed martial arts?!?!?!?!?!? no JUST fucking no. the devil tells him to snap someones neck and thats on you sensei!!!

I'm what is this robot chicken sketch that can't be real you are speaking of

strobogo

Banned
you're obviously delusional.

It's been a while since I played halo, I did play halo anniversary edition a while back and found it really really slow and boring. I should just skip to 2 maybe.

I just don't like them. The only one I liked was Goldeneye. The genre doesn't appeal to me at all, nor does the focus on multiplayer online stuff.

G-Fex

I just don't like them. The only one I liked was Goldeneye. The genre doesn't appeal to me at all, nor does the focus on multiplayer online stuff.

I like them plenty. They're not for everyone. Not sure I'd ever touch goldeneye again, confession though I did have a lot of fun with goldeneye rogue agent.

Multiplayer though I'm not too fond of, too much salt, too much awful folks.

Weird change of pace

Do any of yall have any cartoons you are into right now
Not really. I guess that makes me boring.

Well more boring than I am currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom