• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed 2 needs to happen. There was 11 Poison Ivy movies in the 90s

It was ridiculous, I worked in a video store from 99-03 or so, maybe 02. I saw a lot of Jon Voight/Ice-T movies hitting those video racks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You were there to watch an industry die. How many Universal Soldier movies did you push?

I remember when the Goldberg one showed up, it rented well. I was in a rough part of town too, so consider the clientele. Nothing more depressing than getting one copy of a movie that's people in the hood want to see, and the first person to rent it never brings it back.

Slayven

I remember when the Goldberg one showed up, it rented well. I was in a rough part of town too, so consider the clientele. Nothing more depressing than getting one copy of a movie that's people in the hood want to see, and the first person to rent it never brings it back.

I worked at Cox cable, we took calls from the Washington DC area where the big dogs lived. They fucking loved ordering White Girls on PPV. There was days I took 30 calls and half of them ordering that movie.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I worked at Cox cable, we took calls from the Washington DC area where the big dogs lived. They fucking loved ordering White Girls on PPV. There was days I took 30 calls and half of them ordering that movie.

lol White Chicks was after my time, just barely. I do remember, we were allowed to put on any movie we wanted (except R-rated of course) and I got some redneck really upset because I put on To Wong Foo and that dude was watching it and thinking all these women were hot, then discovered Wesley Snipes and nope.gif'd the fuck out of there.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I really hate when people I like feud. I always feel like I'm expected to take a side and that shit pisses me off. Like come on...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate when people I like feud. I always feel like I'm expected to take a side and that shit pisses me off. Like come on...

You should follow Nobunaga and Ranmaru. Mitsuhide was wrong for what he did.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
You should follow Nobunaga and Ranmaru. Mitsuhide was wrong for what he did.

Oh shit LMAOOO

(Perfect example. I like all 3)

Figured you'd take THEIR side, bear-chan.

I swear that's how it feels and then I feel guilty like maybe I made the wrong decision or something. But this time I'm not doing that because this feud is because of a misunderstanding. I tried to clear things up but once other people get involved because "ooh my best friend is arguing so I need to argue too", that seems to have crashed and burned.

I really feel like that's a childish thing to do. Seriously, why get involved in other people's business? Friends or not, it's one thing to have their back but unless a friend is being harassed or in a physical altercation, I don't think it's always necessary to jump in. Adults tackle their own problems and if they get themselves in a fix, don't get mixed up in it for the hell of it. Especially not for petty matters.

For some background context, one friend said something that offended some other friends. Another friend confronted them under the impression they meant to offend them, and the friend who was the "offendee" eventually started to argue back with neither side really willing to back down.

I stepped in to help them see from each other's POV and things seemed to settle until some dumbass butts in for no damn reason attacking the friend who was offended. Now, things are as tense as ever.

Jfc has anyone ever heard of talking things out? All this confusion over a misunderstanding. Ugh

JC and Jandro don't really hate each other.

Omg LOL

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit, I am so fucking TIRED of the dating world. I decided this run I would be totally earnest, 100% honest (not that anyone shouldn't be but as far as how I present myself) and all that shit and it is wearing me the fuck out. Goddamn I'm tired. But I know there's a hole in my heart someone else has to fill, that I can't fill on my own. I can't just focus on myself because there's a part that requires someone else. It's a pain in the ass.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That is true.

I woke up this morning turned on the news and they were doing a story on a brony convention. It was like 20 people between 2 card tables. Half of them were wearing pajamas.

God this mental picture

Village

That is true.

I woke up this morning turned on the news and they were doing a story on a brony convention. It was like 20 people between 2 card tables. Half of them were wearing pajamas.

, from what I understand them dudes be getting hype as fuck over that show. Raves and shit.

Goddammit, I am so fucking TIRED of the dating world. I decided this run I would be totally earnest, 100% honest (not that anyone shouldn't be but as far as how I present myself) and all that shit and it is wearing me the fuck out. Goddamn I'm tired. But I know there's a hole in my heart someone else has to fill, that I can't fill on my own. I can't just focus on myself because there's a part that requires someone else. It's a pain in the ass.

I don't know about you but the truth is an amazing tool. Breh, I'm starting to learn I'm an asshole though. Like a really fucked up person cause I gives no shits. You know what.....fuck that. Truth and not giving a fuckery run synonymous. If they can't accept you for you and whay you spitting then drop them. Ive been doing it since the break up in July and feels good. But every woman I've been involved with I have told them the same thing, "Fuck a relationship. You can kick it wit me and ill be good company. But I'm not gonna stop fucking other women. If you cool with that, then let's see what can and will happen. "

Now every woman on the roster knows about the others. The only thing they don't know are names. I call each woman by their own codenames. Some are jealous of others, some even went so far as to say they want to fuck each other. Some are fu king each other and I'm just a third wheel. But the point is honesty is truly the best policy. But you have to have that follow through aka that not gives a fuckery about yourself that runs synonymous.

Village

I fucking hate the Kingdom Hearts fandom. Surprise!

Hmm so you hate an entire group of people based on limited experiences? Alright man whatever floats your boat.

Like there are some horrible people that like sonic/ Pokemans/Resident evil/Comic books, actually there are some horrible people who write comic books.Actually the first thing and the last thing are kinda of related , but today we aren't going to tell you the tale of ken pernders.

My point is, saying you hate an entire group of people who like a thing because there are some horrible people who do... is stupid. Because horrible people exist and they like everything. Like its really stupid, like really REALLY stupid. I can't say fuck Comic books because there are people like mark mallar exist , just mark millar can screw off.

Malyse

Hmm so you hate an entire group of people based on limited experiences? Alright man whatever floats your boat.

Like there are some horrible people that like sonic/ Pokemans/Resident evil/Comic books, actually there are some horrible people who write comic books.Actually the first thing and the last thing are kinda of related , but today we aren't going to tell you the tale of ken pernders.

My point is, saying you hate an entire group of people who like a thing because there are some horrible people who do... is stupid. Because horrible people exist and they like everything. Like its really stupid, like really REALLY stupid. I can't say fuck Comic books because there are people like mark mallar , just fuck mark millar.

There is a massive difference between being a fan of something and being part of a fandom. Fans are fine, fandoms can fuck right off.

"Fandom" in general seems to be characterised by the fringe elements. I know several people who are MLP fans who are great human beings, however the internet has shown me that there are a number of troubling fans who definitely disproportionately colour my views of the entire fandom. Tbh, I'd find it hard to think of anything people are passionate about that doesn't have this problem.

Slayven

"Fandom" in general seems to be characterised by the fringe elements. I know several people who are MLP fans who are great human beings, however the internet has shown me that there are a number of troubling fans who definitely disproportionately colour my views of the entire fandom. Tbh, I'd find it hard to think of anything people are passionate about that doesn't have this problem.

Spiderman?

Village

There is a massive difference between being a fan of something and being part of a fandom. Fans are fine, fandoms can fuck right off.

Fandom is just catch all term for people who are a fan, not casually like but fan . Trekkies, whovians, the cult of beyonce stuff like that. This is has existed for a long ass time too, people were standing philosophers and writers and stuff like that. Hell teh only reason why got more Sherlock Holmes stories than we could have is because a bunch of fans wrote was essentially fan fictions stories, and he just kind of stayed public domain. Some are into it more than others... but its just a quick label labeling people who might be into something.

you are apart of the kingdom hearts fandom,

Is that all of your identity, no
Are you associating with some of the seedier parts? I dunno but I guess not
Are you member of member of the church of riku the gawd? You should but thats another discussion.

Fandom could mean as little or as much as you want it to mean. Here's how I make my life easy

" what does being in fandom mean?"

" you like thing a lot "

done, it no more and no less than that and I get to live my life.

Malyse

Fandom is just catch all term for people who are a fan, not casually like but fan . Trekkies, whovians, the cult of beyonce stuff like that. This is has existed for a long ass time too, people were standing philosophers and writers and stuff like that. Hell teh only reason why got more Sherlock Holmes stories than we could have is because a bunch of fans wrote was essentially fan fictions stories, and he just kind of stayed public domain. Some are into it more than others... but its just a quick label labeling people who might be into something.

you are apart of the kingdom hearts fandom,

Is that all of your identity, no
Are you associating with some of the seedier parts? I dunno but I guess not
Are you member of member of the church of riku the gawd? You should but thats another discussion.

Fandom could mean as little or as much as you want it to mean. Here's how I make my life easy

" what does being in fandom mean?"

" you like thing a lot "

done, it no more and no less than that and I get to live my life.

You telling what I am is going to be a problem. You clearly don't know me or understand my perspective so let's make this explicitly clear.
Me said:
Gamergate makes me hate gamers. Also, this is the part where I say all fandoms can unilaterally fuck off. Otaku can fuck off. Gamers can fuck off. Comic nerds can fuck off. Bronies can fuck off. Whovians can fuck off. Homestuckers can fuck off. Anything that you are so attached to that it defines you gets a fuck off. Fuck your fandom.
Me said:
I just think fandoms are mob mentality bullshit. Tumblr taught me that
Me said:
There's a difference between being a fan and being in the fandom. I'm a fan of a ton of things. For example, let's use the gaming fandom. I'm not a gamer. I like games, but liking games doesn't define me. I like movies as much as games, as much as comics, as much as a number of entertainment mediums. Personally, by including yourself in fandom, you're tacitly accepting the worst parts of that fandom. So I categorically reject being included in any fandom.

I think the negatives far out way the positives.
I don't know why me hating fandoms is a surprise to anyone.

Ironically, the statement you made is actually correct. I am and consider myself apart from the KH fandom. I'm not a part of it though.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I had this discussion with DreamDrop before and pretty much had the same thing to say as you do Village.

Fandoms are not terrible and generally are very fun for people in them, however, where there's a party, there's always drama. That's part of life. You can't let ignorant folks distort your view of something altogether. If that was the case, I wouldn't enjoy lots of things. The difference you're looking to make is between fans and fantards. Fantards are the worst, fans/fandoms are great.

strobogo

Banned

Fill it with booze and profound, life inhibiting sadness.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lol White Chicks was after my time, just barely. I do remember, we were allowed to put on any movie we wanted (except R-rated of course) and I got some redneck really upset because I put on To Wong Foo and that dude was watching it and thinking all these women were hot, then discovered Wesley Snipes and nope.gif'd the fuck out of there.

Hilarious. My friend and i would watch that (when my aunt had a chipped cable box) while playing killer instinct on the snes.

Malyse

I had this discussion with DreamDrop before and pretty much had the same thing to say as you do Village.

Fandoms are not terrible and generally are very fun for people in them, however, where there's a party, there's always drama. That's part of life. You can't let ignorant folks distort your view of something altogether. If that was the case, I wouldn't enjoy lots of things. The difference you're looking to make is between fans and fantards. Fantards are the worst, fans/fandoms are great.
And I stand by saying that being in a fandom is a tacit acceptance of "fantards". Fan != fandom. Fandom is, in my opinion, allowing something to define you. Bronies are defined by their love of MLP. Gamers are defined by their love of games. There is nothing so important that it defines me, outside of līən. So I categorically reject the notion that I'm part of any fandom.

Village

"Anything that you are so attached to that it defines you gets a fuck off"

One, I don't think being in a Fandom, necessitates that... at all really. Its just a quick label for a lot of people... a thing they like a lot. You are putting way more thought into thought into this than they are. A lot of them, this is just a thing in their life they enjoy, this isn't all their lives, some of them enjoy it alot .

Next, being attached to a thing... and it defining you...isn't bad.It defining you soleley.. yeah, it being apart of the larger you ... thats fine. Its being moved by something. I like art, i'm attached to art, i'm a artist. You could say i'm apart of the art fandom, I go to school for it. I'm doing a senior thesis thing, that's art related at this moment.

Like if something you like, in your life has shaped life... and you like it alot. Thats... ok. Thats... life..., some people just take it too far as with everything.

I've never been a fan of giving the whole class shit for the shit who can't behave.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
One, I don't think being in a Fandom, necessitates that... at all really. Its just a quick label for a lot of people... a thing they like a lot. You are putting way more thought into thought into this than they are. A lot of them, this is just a thing in their life they enjoy, this isn't all their lives, some of them enjoy it alot...

Like if something you like, in your life has shaped life... and you like it alot. Thats... ok. Thats... life..., some people just take it too far as with everything.

All that really needs to be said about it.

Feels like when you're in grade school enjoying yourself but the fuck boys can't get their shit together so everyone gets a bad wrap. Hated that shit then and I'm not very pleased with the reputation fans get because of tards.

Malyse

"Anything that you are so attached to that it defines you gets a fuck off"

One, I don't think being in a Fandom, necessitates that... at all really. Its just a quick label for a lot of people... a thing they like a lot. You are putting way more thought into thought into this than they are. A lot of them, this is just a thing in their life they enjoy, this isn't all their lives, some of them enjoy it alot .

Next, being attached to a thing... and it defining you...isn't bad.It defining you soleley.. yeah, it being apart of the larger you ... thats fine. Its being moved by something. I like art, i'm attached to art, i'm a artist. You could say i'm apart of the art fandom, I go to school for it. I'm doing a senior thesis thing, that's art related at this moment.

I've never been a fan of giving the whole class shit for the shit who can't behave.

There is a whole nother side where being in a fandom normalizes a lot of awful shit. Look at the inherent problematic nature of video games. The whole reason this GamerGate bullshit is happening is because gamer culture has normalized and internalized misogynist attitudes. But that's a tangent I really don't have the energy to explore today. Fuck being sick. Worst fandom.

All that really needs to be said about it.

Feels like when you're in grade school enjoying yourself but the fuck boys can't get their shit together so everyone gets a bad wrap. Hated that shit then and I'm not very pleased with the reputation fans get because of tards.

But did punishing the whole class usually work?

Village

There is a whole nother side where being in a fandom normalizes a lot of awful shit. Look at the inherent problematic nature of video games. The whole reason this GamerGate bullshit is happening is because gamer culture has normalized and internalized misogynist attitudes. But that's a tangent I really don't have the energy to explore today. Fuck being sick. Worst fandom.

That's not being a part of a fandom, thats being a shit. A shit will be shit, no matter what exterior label you give it. Its still a shit, and that shit will like shit and sometimes it will be the shit you like.

Gaming culture is a reflection of larger culture, liking games didn't make people willfully ignorant misogynist racists shits, life did that.

jWILL253

Banned
DD, the way you generalize "fandoms" is veeerrryyy similar to the way society at large generalizes us. I hope you realize that.

Generalizing the many due to the actions of the few never works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom