• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm inclined to think if there is a topic that the majority of GAF agrees on, it is usually best to go opposite of that opinion. Especially over the last year or so.

I don't believe that an individual should go in the opposite of that direction all of the time, but for the most part, the real world disagrees with GAF. That goes for good and for ill. This includes those of you that believe GAF lacks empathy or lives in a bubble when it comes to social justice issues. Newsflash - most of the country doesn't give a shit either.

I don't believe that an individual should go in the opposite of that direction all of the time, but for the most part, the real world disagrees with GAF. That goes for good and for ill. This includes those of you that believe GAF lacks empathy or lives in a bubble when it comes to social justice issues. Newsflash - most of the country doesn't give a shit either.

I dunno how much of a newsflash that is

Otherwise we wouldn't be in this mess

Cat

Some of those quotes and tweet sweet mother of! I feel a year from now this will be a non-story, she will be more popular, her books will sell more, and her show will get more viewers. Feel bad for her sister tho.:(

That sounds like a probable outcome, especially with other celebrities known for doing bad things and continuing to receive work. I did not know who she was until recently.

DominoKid

(edit: didn't know there was already a thread for this when i posted but whatever)

wow so Lesean Thomas (Dir. of Black Dynamite, worked on Boondocks and Korra among other things) is still trying to get Cannon Busters going. this time as a cartoon.

Kickstarter

this shit could be amazing if the rest of his stuff is any indication. i've been waiting for something to come of this project forever.

5c17601d7f0e52e631efef41779d8052_large.jpg

Cannon Busters is an animated adventure about the value of friendship and just how far one is willing to go to maintain it. If The Wizard of Oz met the Hidden Fortress with influences derived from Escaflowne, hip-hop, and classic RPGs -- you get Cannon Busters, one wild ride of fun, suspense, action, and wackiness. It's a roadshow-style adventure of epic proportions!

jWILL253

Banned
I think Dragon Ball characters are generally well liked in America, but I think it's because that show plays naturally into the "OP-American-Superhero" trope. Pretty much anyone from that show could hang with Marvel, and Goku is just Japan's Superman.

Furyous

After looking through that crossover thread, I need to ask a question: Are there any male anime protagonists most Americans generally don't think are garbage?QUOTE]

Setsuna F. Seiei from Gundam 00 comes to mind. He's a child soldier that's a member of a global terrorist organization.

Bomani is going to incur the wrath of Lord Jamar....

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
After looking through that crossover thread, I need to ask a question: Are there any male anime protagonists most Americans generally don't think are garbage? Hard mode: teenage male protagonists who don't annoy American audiences. The only example I've been able to come up with is Yuske from Yu Yu Hakusho.

It's not as hard as you'd think. Just pick any Sasuke archetype character

Light Yagami, Heero Yuy, Ichigo Kurosaki. Even Setsuna whom people are listing.

Those serious, anti-social "cool" guy type characters are always the most popular in the US. We got Chuunibyou bad over here

Mortemis

Banned
It's not as hard as you'd think. Just pick any Sasuke archetype character

Light Yagami, Heero Yuy, Ichigo Kurosaki. Even Setsuna whom people are listing.

Those serious, anti-social "cool" guy type characters are always the most popular in the US. We got Chuunibyou bad over here

Don't forget the coolest of them all, Jotaro.

My favs are usually the brash MC's, Yusuke, Mugen, Josuke, etc. Basically a badass that likes to talk shit.

looking at 1994. what albums that year were better than illmatic? seriously i can only maaybe make a case for the downward spiral. slayven?!!!

In order of being better than Illmatic
Artist - Album
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
TLC - CrazySexyCool
Green Day - Dookie
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Cranberries - No Need to Argue
Da Brat - Funkdafied
Warren G - Regulate...G Funk Era
Bone Thugs N Harmony - Creepin on ah Come Up
Selena - Amor Prohibido
Crystal Waters - Storyteller

did someone forget the 90's was crazy for music

Anime is like movies. Anyone who says they don't like it just ain't watching the right shows.

I feel you. I just don't have aNY interest in anime period. The last anime I watched were parts of AoT. Then before that highschool of the dead. So not much. But I'm digging the terrorformars. I'll stick with it.

Malyse

I feel you. I just don't have aNY interest in anime period. The last anime I watched were parts of AoT. Then before that highschool of the dead. So not much. But I'm digging the terrorformars. I'll stick with it.

I am a flawless recommendation machine. Feed me likes and I can match you with things you will love.

Which will probably be Champloo and Bebop

Kreed

After looking through that crossover thread, I need to ask a question: Are there any male anime protagonists most Americans generally don't think are garbage? Hard mode: teenage male protagonists who don't annoy American audiences. The only example I've been able to come up with is Yuske from Yu Yu Hakusho.

I understand the main reason for this -- their main target audience being Japanese high school boys. I've never met one so I couldn't tell you if people like Shinji or Eren or whoever might be an accurate representation.

In fact, are there any examples in anime of the "classical anti-hero" that even work that well? Again with teenagers being hard mode.

In terms of anime that has aired in the US I'd say Luffy, Ed from Full Metal Alchemist, and L from Death Note.

Village

I don't get the Punisher love, is it because he shoots people in the face?

He's very easy to understand. And very easy to root for an against, and he can be put in very realistic and very fictional situations. He a very malleable character.

I was thinking about how they incorporate him into the modern MCU, I have thought of a few scenarios.

I don't see the current Marvel film enterprises giving the Punisher any real facetime because of what the character is and modern positions on gun violence. If he was featured it would most likely be as a villain

He's very easy to understand. And very easy to root for an against, and he can be put in very realistic and very fictional situations. He a very malleable character.

I was thinking about how they incorporate him into the modern MCU, I have thought of a few scenarios.

Except, Marvel seems to do the exact opposite. The amount of people who think the Punisher could kill anyone makes me feel that he really is just Marvel's Batman.

Slayven

he always been boring to me

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the current Marvel film enterprises giving the Punisher any real facetime because of what the character is and modern positions on gun violence. If he was featured it would most likely be as a villain

The best we're gonna get is going back to dvd copies of War Zone, which is the second-best Punisher film after the original Lundgren one. Lundgren had what makes the Punisher DOWN for me. It was a numb, miserable performance - which was true to how I've always seen the Punisher. I even hunted down the German release that had a workprint of an old version that they shot - it was WAY off and super weird. Punisher living with his family, and a cop, it was weird.

Silky

Banned
(edit: didn't know there was already a thread for this when i posted but whatever)

wow so Lesean Thomas (Dir. of Black Dynamite, worked on Boondocks and Korra among other things) is still trying to get Cannon Busters going. this time as a cartoon.

Kickstarter

this shit could be amazing if the rest of his stuff is any indication. i've been waiting for something to come of this project forever.

5c17601d7f0e52e631efef41779d8052_large.jpg

Wowwwww Joe Mad!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also regarding the appeal of the Punisher, it's easy - anyone who feels the justice system is ineffective at keeping real criminals behind bars can empathize with Punisher, just a little, in the realm of fiction. I'm not saying we want to kill all crooks, because we don't. We shouldn't. But anyone who's frustrated can see some appeal in Punisher's methods.

Also if you never read it, I highly recommend the Frankencastle arc. Injected a much-needed freshness into that character and it was fun as hell. Also fuck Daken, dude's such a prick.

So I'm ready to listen to reason regarding Peter Parker. I've got $100 in my pocket that I'm willing to put money towards taking a risk on some wonderful Spider-Man TPBs or graphic novels - so hit me with a couple. Not asking comics-gaf because...I don't wanna.

strobogo

Banned
Also regarding the appeal of the Punisher, it's easy - anyone who feels the justice system is ineffective at keeping real criminals behind bars can empathize with Punisher, just a little, in the realm of fiction. I'm not saying we want to kill all crooks, because we don't. We shouldn't. But anyone who's frustrated can see some appeal in Punisher's methods.

Also if you never read it, I highly recommend the Frankencastle arc. Injected a much-needed freshness into that character and it was fun as hell. Also fuck Daken, dude's such a prick.

So I'm ready to listen to reason regarding Peter Parker. I've got $100 in my pocket that I'm willing to put money towards taking a risk on some wonderful Spider-Man TPBs or graphic novels - so hit me with a couple. Not asking comics-gaf because...I don't wanna.

Just go to a library and pick some stuff up. Don't blow $100 on bullshit you probably aren't going to like anyway.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just go to a library and pick some stuff up. Don't blow $100 on bullshit you probably aren't going to like anyway.

A library? Fight the homeless? No thanks pal.

EDIT: My lie-barry is a pathetic smear. It's too much work to go to it when I can just spend some money on things in good faith that they'll be fun and playful.

strobogo

Banned
How do you have a shitty library when I'm in a city of 50K in central Indiana with no jobs or industry since the mid 70s and have a DOPE one? 3 stories. TONS of movies. Healthy game section. Healthier comics section. Inter liberried loan system. Streaming music and video services (although mostly junk content). A digital rental system for ebooks and what not. Ball State's library isn't better than this one. It's the only good thing in this entire city.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How do you have a shitty library when I'm in a city of 50K in central Indiana with no jobs or industry since the mid 70s and have a DOPE one? 3 stories. TONS of movies. Healthy game section. Healthier comics section. Inter liberried loan system. Streaming music and video services (although mostly junk content). A digital rental system for ebooks and what not. Ball State's library isn't better than this one. It's the only good thing in this entire city.

Because I uh...haven't been since I was a child.

Didnt Solid Frank come after Frankencastle? Frank was rocking the mullet, eyepatch and everything

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Didnt Solid Frank come after Frankencastle? Frank was rocking the mullet, eyepatch and everything

Yeah, he did. I was kinda ehh about that. Frankencastle, when I heard about it, I was like "what the fuck ever, this is stupid" then I read the damn thing and it was phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom