• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best we're gonna get is going back to dvd copies of War Zone, which is the second-best Punisher film after the original Lundgren one. Lundgren had what makes the Punisher DOWN for me. It was a numb, miserable performance - which was true to how I've always seen the Punisher. I even hunted down the German release that had a workprint of an old version that they shot - it was WAY off and super weird. Punisher living with his family, and a cop, it was weird.

You take that back, that shit was terrible!

Mother fucker but naked meditating in the sewers, SMH. The Punisher has never had a decent film, which saddens me. I had hopes for War Zone but the script was shit, and the direction was less gritty than it should have been. It was violent but it was comically violent.

Also regarding the appeal of the Punisher, it's easy - anyone who feels the justice system is ineffective at keeping real criminals behind bars can empathize with Punisher, just a little, in the realm of fiction. I'm not saying we want to kill all crooks, because we don't. We shouldn't. But anyone who's frustrated can see some appeal in Punisher's methods.

Also if you never read it, I highly recommend the Frankencastle arc. Injected a much-needed freshness into that character and it was fun as hell. Also fuck Daken, dude's such a prick.

So I'm ready to listen to reason regarding Peter Parker. I've got $100 in my pocket that I'm willing to put money towards taking a risk on some wonderful Spider-Man TPBs or graphic novels - so hit me with a couple. Not asking comics-gaf because...I don't wanna.

Spider-Man: Blue
Ultimate Spider-Man (The whole thing, it's really that good.)
JMS run has some amazing parts to it (Avoid Sins Past and One More Day)
Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine is also pretty great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You take that back, that shit was terrible!

Mother fucker but naked meditating in the sewers, SMH. The Punisher has never had a decent film, which saddens me. I had hopes for War Zone but the script was shit, and the direction was less gritty than it should have been. It was violent but it was comically violent.

Both of these were not a problem for me. Great stuff. I know everyone goes nuts about hitting the parkour dude with a rocket, but admittedly, that shit was beautiful to see.

Spider-Man: Blue
Ultimate Spider-Man (The whole thing, it's really that good.)
JMS run has some amazing parts to it (Avoid Sins Past and One More Day)
Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine is also pretty great.

I don't know if I'll do Ultimate, but I'll look into Blue. I hate Wolverine too so I'm not sure I want to read a story with both of them in it, but we'll see how Blue is.

Village

Except, Marvel seems to do the exact opposite. The amount of people who think the Punisher could kill anyone makes me feel that he really is just Marvel's Batman.

They should play him up like that actually. Or Calenderman... or the riddler kind of , let me explain. You remember when the winter solider peeps were talking about some mysterious figure and it being frank. I think they should kind of do that with frank for a long while until he gets formally introduced, like in the tv shows and in the movies people should just pop up dead and get mysterious help until he reveals himself. Playing less on the hardass side and more on the tactician side.

OR

They could introduce him at the end of Cap America 3. He could be be hired by shield, or some other mysterious organization, ( you know there is plenty ) to at least try to keep the chaos from getting too far out of control from behind the scenes and reveal him in the post credits scene.

he always been boring to me

Hmm , im not arguing you should find him boring, i'm just telling you he may work for a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe there is someone that hates Spiderman. That is like hating Christmas.

Comic folks I hate:

Spider-Man
Wolverine
All the X-Men except Cyclops in the past couple years
Elektra
Daredevil
Black Bolt (dude's worthless)
Deadpool (infuriatingly bad)
Batman (just tired)

Folks I like:
Swamp Thing
Punisher
Kingpin
Sandman (Dream, not the Marvel one)
Magneto
Judge Dredd
Superman

besada

Banned
Because I uh...haven't been since I was a child.

I'm seconding the library suggestion. Go get to know your public library. It almost certainly has some amazing shit in it and you're paying for it anyway. Also, librarians, rawr.

Also, read that Ultimate Spider Man. I wasn't a big Spidey fan until I read it. It's a great cut-down version of the Spidey story, and the ending is fantastic.

Comic folks I hate:

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Elektra
Daredevil
Batman (just tired)

Folks I like:
Swamp Thing
Punisher
Kingpin
Magneto
Judge Dredd
Superman

That's a whole mess of crazy.

I remember as a young spin, I used to check out all of the Ranma 1/2 manga from my local library. Good times, man.

I should check it out when I get the chance to see what they have today. I haven't been to a library (other than a school one) in over a decade.

Slayven

I'm seconding the library suggestion. Go get to know your public library. It almost certainly has some amazing shit in it and you're paying for it anyway. Also, librarians, rawr.

Also, read that Ultimate Spider Man. I wasn't a big Spidey fan until I read it. It's a great cut-down version of the Spidey story, and the ending is fantastic.
But you in Texas, they probably have pull pork sandwiches and steak at your libraries,.

Malyse

Comic folks I hate:

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Elektra
Daredevil
Batman (just tired)

Folks I like:
Swamp Thing
Punisher
Kingpin
Magneto
Judge Dredd
Superman
#JudgingYou

Silky

Banned
Comic folks I hate:

Spider-Man
Wolverine
Elektra
Daredevil
Batman (just tired)

Folks I like:
Swamp Thing
Punisher
Kingpin
Magneto
Judge Dredd
Superman

Other than the X-Men comment, I'm about the same with Vince.

Kreed

Back when I used to read US comics I never cared for the "Red, White, and Blue" super heroes. Superman and Captain America being the main ones, but I also threw heroes like Thor into the mix. And it wasn't because their books weren't good (I rarely even read them/gave them a real chance), vs just gravitating more towards characters that weren't "liked" by the US government or the general public.

Films/television definitely helped change my mind on these guys but even now with the new Marvel/DC films I still don't care for them like comic book characters that I liked as a child like Batman, the Hulk the X-Men, Black Panther, Spiderman, etc...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'll be honest and say I never really cared for Captain America at all until the recent movies came out. I always dismissed him because of similar reasons of gravitating away from patriotic or golden boy (Superman) heroes. But the Cap movies have been so fucking good that I have changed my mind on him recently and have been inspired to check out some of his comics. I think encouraging people to explore heroes and stories they might not have before is one of the best things about the MCU.

Mortemis

Banned
I could never hate on the xmen or spiderman. While superman and batman and all from the DCAU are memorable, I really loved the xmen and spiderman cartoons too, and they're what got me into comics.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I always found it weird how Iron Man was a joke for the 80s and most of the 90s and now all of a sudden people are being banana riders for him thanks to some shitty movies. Iron Man 1 wasn't anything to write home about.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I always found it weird how Iron Man was a joke for the 80s and most of the 90s and now all of a sudden people are being banana riders for him thanks to some shitty movies. Iron Man 1 wasn't anything to write home about.
I think it's cool. I remember seeing Iron Man cartoons on various channels and thinking he looked completely stupid as well. Then I saw the first Iron Man film and thought it was awesome. I never knew he had a duality to his story with Tony Stark, I just thought he was a generic robot hero.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Early 90s were cruel to a lot of heroes. Thor and Iron Man and even Cap were suckin' ass up in the 90s.

strobogo

Banned
People don't read enough Iron Man

That's because Iron Man was mostly dog shit outside of some stuff in the 70s and then again in the 2000s. Terrible rouges gallery. Kind of amazing a movie got made about him in the first place. Dude was C-Tier for a looooooooong time. You knew who he was, but that's it.

Also, Sunny's hatred of X-Men is legit. Dude really hates X-Men. I can see why in a lot of ways, but top level Claremont X-Men is some wonderful stuff.

Kreed

My first exposure to Iron Man was the cartoon on Fox, the one with the theme song that just says Iron Man over and over. The show as pretty bad, outside of Iron Man's different armors and getting introduced to War Machine. But it was enough to get me reading his comics. Although the show made me think Hawk Eye, Scarlet Witch, and Spider Woman were jokes for a long time until I read more comics.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's a reason War Machine was in Marvel vs Capcom only, guys.

Cause Iron Man is fucking lame.

HERESMYSUNDAYBEST

goddamn I loved all those voice clips in MVC1. All of them sounded so wrong. I always called Cyclops' "Gene Splice" the "Jeezus Christ"

BlackJace

HERESMYSUNDAYBEST

goddamn I loved all those voice clips in MVC1. All of them sounded so wrong. I always called Cyclops' "Gene Splice" the "Jeezus Christ"

KuGsj.gif

HERESMYSUNDAYBEST

For me it was always "Jean's nice". This was especially funny if you were beating up Wolverine, like "yeah fuck you buddy thats my bitch"

Trey

Gone girl or John wick?

If you're in the mood for a slower paced movie, Gone Girl. Otherwise, John Wick.

The former is a psychological thriller of sorts, the latter is an action movie where Keanu Reeves says all of twenty words the whole film and shoots everyone in the head.

Gone Girl is the better movie if you ask me but John Wick isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom