• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

It's annoying, yes. Everyone should deal with it. That's all.
But we could reverse that and say that rather than everyone being forced to deal with it, the offending players should be forced to be quieter? If the other players can manage it, so can they.

I understand what you're saying about it being difficult, but it's not like it would be impossible for them to stop, they'll just have to work on it.

MIMIC

Banned
Right on.

I think Azarenka's is worse than Maria's.

Its hard to watch her matches because of that. Might as well put it on mute.

Azarenka is on some other shit. The noise she makes, of all of the tour players, is probably the furthest from any concept of a "grunt". It's like she's singing or something.

With the roof closed, it makes a very annoying echo. I had my headphones on yesterday and the noise would make a small vibration in the ear piece (which was amplified because the roof was closed). I couldn't stand it and had to change the channel.

I think she does it because she believes that it helps her hit the ball better....because that is NOT a release of energy we are hearing. Probably a bad habit she picked up from somewhere.

I wanna see her hit a punching bag and see if she does the same shit.

Peru

Granellier and de Brito are worse, but yeah the lenght of Azarenka's wail is the difference. If it carries to the other side, it's something different.

It's equally 'bad' on men's and women's side, only difference is pitch. I don't mind it at all, only sport where people are so prissy about some noise. And top players have said they don't mind. Sore losers on the other hand..

But I don't know, Sharapova said she supports a 'grunt-o-meter' being introduced at lower level play. She got into the habit at a young age and says it's not in any way possible to quit (and she does it in practice as well) but seems to agree to nudging kids away from it when they can. I don't agree with that, I say roll on, but if the players are ok with it being introduced then I'll accept it. If it's only introduced for the WTA I'll quit watching tennis for good.

If the other players can manage it, so can they.

Dumb, faulty logic. A habit you get into as a kid is inseparable from every other part of your tennis.

rando14

Granellier and de Brito are worse, but yeah the lenght of Azarenka's wail is the difference. If it carries to the other side, it's something different.

It's equally 'bad' on men's and women's side, only difference is pitch. I don't mind it at all, only sport where people are so prissy about some noise. And top players have said they don't mind. Sore losers on the other hand..

But I don't know, Sharapova said she supports a 'grunt-o-meter' being introduced at lower level play. She got into the habit at a young age and says it's not in any way possible to quit (and she does it in practice as well) but seems to agree to nudging kids away from it when they can. I don't agree with that, I say roll on, but if the players are ok with it being introduced then I'll accept it. If it's only introduced for the WTA I'll quit watching tennis for good.

Dumb, faulty logic. A habit you get into as a kid is inseparable from every other part of your tennis.

Fuck her, it's a fucking grunt, of course she can stop doing it.

szaromir

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3R4MX_Honc
6:45 forward
Some habit it is. And greatest player of all time, Navratilova, said it is very distracting.

clemenx

Banned
Peru, I don't know how you can engage the same discussion in every slam thread. I gave up the first time I did it, lolol. Sucks it seems I'm the only one who agrees with you.

PaulLFC

Peru, I don't know how you can engage the same discussion in every slam thread. I gave up the first time I did it, lolol. Sucks it seems I'm the only one who agrees with you.
Have you watched the two videos above? It's not impossible to stop at all as those, and no doubt other videos, show.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Whoever the fool is at Addidas that designed Kirilenko's dress should be shot. It's like a dress for pregnant tennis players.

Wes

venison crêpe
Really? Isn't it close to 11 PM now? Also they moving a match that has already started must be a first. I remember in the Isner - Mahut match, they had to finish it in court 17.

It's 9:30pm.

Generally it is the case that matches must finish on the court they started but if organisers think for whatever reason this may delay them from getting rest days in between the semi final and final, and heaven forbid have to move the finals, they will do something like this.

The weather could be bad for tomorrow which would mean they know for sure two of the mens QFs aren't going to get played. Just floating ideas.

Whoever the fool is at Addidas that designed Kirilenko's dress should be shot. It's like a dress for pregnant tennis players.

Doesn't matter, she still looks sensational.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Really? Isn't it close to 11 PM now? Also they moving a match that has already started must be a first. I remember in the Isner - Mahut match, they had to finish it in court 17.

Even though that was obviously pretty historic, they probably didn't see a reason to move it because it wasn't an issue of scheduling. Plus they probably didn't want to risk that match taking a whole day on the Centre Court or Court 1.

Ash_69

Kirilenko noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Radwanska is the new Wozniaki, Pusher of the highest order. She will get destroyed against a Williams or Azerenka.

LuuKyK

I cant believe how lucky Radwanska is. Rofl. That drop shot...

Oh well, she will never win this. Maybe she can win against Kerber, but in the final? No way!

szaromir

Banned
I cant believe how lucky Radwanska is. Rofl. That drop shot...

Oh well, she will never win this. Maybe she can win against Kerber, but in the final? No way!

You never know what's gonna happen, everyone expected Serena to destroy Stosur in the USO final, Kerber or Radwanska might sneak this major in a similar fashion.

Great day of women's matches. Enjoyed them more than any men's match this tournament bar Nadal/Rosol.

Serena favourite but in the last 3 slams she's thrown in one horror match (Stosur, Makarova, Razzano). We'll see if that continues.

Saty

People dissing Radwanska like they never saw her play. I think she deserved the win on the fact she was the one who was breaking first all the time (even though most of the time she didn't consolidate) and also for having to do catch-up in the final set and serving to stay at 4-5.

Saty

OOP:
Centre Court (13:00 BST)

3-Roger Federer (Switzerland) v 26-Mikhail Youzhny (Russia)

7-David Ferrer (Spain) v 4-Andy Murray (Britain)

Court One (13:00 BST)

1-Novak Djokoic (Serbia) v 31-Florian Mayer (Germany)

5-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France) v 27-Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany)

szaromir

Banned
People dissing Radwanska like they never saw her play. I think she deserved the win on the fact she was the one who was breaking first all the time (even though most of the time she didn't consolidate) and also for having to do catch-up in the final set and serving to stay at 4-5.

That crosscourt dropshot she came up with when Kirilenko was 2 points away from victory was just brilliant. Shame she choked in that second set in the first place, but it's probably better she didn't cruise like in the previous rounds that gave her a false sense of security. Still, I think favorites for the final are Kerber and Williams.

Saty

That crosscourt dropshot she came up with when Kirilenko was 2 points away from victory was just brilliant. Shame she choked in that second set in the first place, but it's probably better she didn't cruise like in the previous rounds that gave her a false sense of security. Still, I think favorites for the final are Kerber and Williams.

It sure is going to be tough no matter what.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man, I hope RF's back is OK. I want to see a followup to the most epic match ever, this years RG disappointed me a bit

PaulLFC

Bit off-topic this, but are there any sites that let you choose your favourite players and get an RSS feed or similar updating service with news and results etc? Kind of like what the BBC does for football teams where you can choose your favourite team and get an RSS feed of news only related to them, but for tennis players.

IMO the grunting/shrieking should be out lawed or points should be deducted/lost for it.

And if you can't help it, tough.

Totally unnecessary and bullshit it's a habit you can't do anything about. Simply do not accept that, there is no logical reason why it something players HAVE to do because they've done it since they were kids. It's not physically necessary, it's mental thing (innocent or not) and can be over come.

And as I say, if you can't, tough.

Don't accept it's as bad on the men's side either.

PaulLFC

IMO the grunting/shrieking should be out lawed or points should be deducted/lost for it.

And if you can't help it, tough.

Totally unnecessary and bullshit it's a habit you can't do anything about. Simply do not accept that, there is no logical reason why it something players HAVE to do because they've done it since they were kids. It's not physically necessary, it's mental thing (innocent or not) and can be over come.

And as I say, if you can't, tough.

Don't accept it's as bad on the men's side either.
Agree with this. The "it's impossible to stop it" excuse is rubbish, the videos posted earlier show that - Azarenka manages to go from shrieking to completely silent in the same match and Maria "I can't help it I even do it in practice" Sharapova is practicing without deafening anyone within a 25 mile radius.

IISANDERII

Yes. Player's rights are so fucken destitute, the powers that be have to throw them a bone from time to time and this time it's allowing Sharapova to dictate shrieking policies. Good grief.

szaromir

Banned
Bit off-topic this, but are there any sites that let you choose your favourite players and get an RSS feed or similar updating service with news and results etc? Kind of like what the BBC does for football teams where you can choose your favourite team and get an RSS feed of news only related to them, but for tennis players.
I don't think any website covers enough players to justify such system, pretty much all cover only top4 and local talent.
They don't, they just make weirder noises.

I think the big difference is that on the men's side grunting is usually proportional to effort, eg. Djokovic and Nadal can get noisy later in the match, but they don't produce 100dB when they hit the first serve of the match. That's what irks me about some female players - if they made weird noises in the third set it'd be completely acceptable, but sounding like a banshee from the very first point is not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom