• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
It takes 30-40 minutes to close the roof and get the environment ready for play. If the rain is light, then they'll just use the normal covers and get back to playing a lot quicker once the rain stops.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/about_aeltc/201205091336573017483.html

Added: Although not written in the rules above, I believe once the roof is closed, it must remain closed until the end of the match, regardless of whether the weather is good or bad.
That is all true, but keep in mind the dusk was coming so they would either continue playing under the roof or stop playing altogether. They were discussing what to do for about twenty minutes and God knows why they didn't immediately decide to close the roof - it's not fair to the crowd watching the match and it's not fair to the players, who will only begin their match today at 3pm at the very earliest, which means the winner will be disadvantaged during her match tomorrow.
Beauty aside, I think she is a great competitor, and she's the only female I actively follow.
Really? She's one of the most unstable players I've ever seen.

How are the courts playing this year?

Like a medium-fast clay court, or a fast clay court?
It's sloooow. It should get gradually faster as the grass wears off, but stark contrast between FO and Wimbledon is no longer to be seen.

Peru

Though to be fair Nadal wouldn't have been down 0-4 yesterday on clay.

One of the toughest opponents in Maria's draw today in Pironkova. Dangerous grass player.

Jay Sosa

There is a difference between ball bounces, yes, but not much of a difference in terms of speed. FO has been sped up, Wimbledon has been drastically slowed down. Look how much different these tournaments used to be in 2000.

It sure seems slower but it still is a completely different surface.

szaromir

Banned
It sure seems slower but it still is a completely different surface.
Yeah, flat strokes and slices are preferred, not top spin. But (after watching yesterday matches) guys like Murray or Nadal can keep the ball as long as they want to, it's difficult to hit through those guys which would not be the case 10 years ago.

Jay Sosa

Yeah, flat strokes and slices are preferred, not top spin. But (after watching yesterday matches) guys like Murray or Nadal can keep the ball as long as they want to, it's difficult to hit through those guys which would not be the case 10 years ago.

No doubt, but I think that a guy that can serve and volley like Edberg would still have a way better shot at beating dirt rats on grass than on clay. It's just that even huge servers seem to be afraid to come to the net nowadays.

PaulLFC

Lisicki's just lost the first set :( Hopefully she can recover and get through the match.

Edit: Just broke serve and then won her serve game in the second set, 5-2 up now :)

mclem

There's a good chance she'll be up against Radwanska; that'll be a real test, but it'll be good if nothing else to get some court time with one of the top seeds.

If it's not Radwanska, it'll be the player who put Venus (and presumably Radwanska!) out. That'd be scary.

I can't remember the last time I've actually *seen* a Brit woman play at Wimbledon, they're usually eliminated by the weekend when I can actually watch it!

Edit: Signs you're old: Seeing that Heather Watson's twitter username is @HeatherWatson92. Realising what the '92' in that means.

PaulLFC

Lisicki wins!!
3AQmK.gif

oipic

Lisicki wins!!
3AQmK.gif

Go Sabine! A win for tennis purists and those who like women who smile a lot.

Love your work, Paul - fine taste in football clubs and now German tennis goddesses as well.

Say, does anyone know when Cirstea's match is loosely scheduled to start? I can't get the official Wimbledon site schedule pages to load at the mo, for some reason.

Nyx

She's done ' upsets' like these before tho. Her game is on the up and up :)

Would be nice for this country if she can hold a GS trophy some time soon

Wasn't she nr 1 in the junior WTA ? (Rus)

Not that it says anything about how she'll cope in the seniors, but still.

With her and Kiki Bertens things are looking good for the future at least.

Meier

Wimbledon was on when I was getting lunch yesterday and that Azarenka chick was playing. How can people deal with women's tennis? Her "grunts" (whooo!) were the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard just about.. do people just watch it on mute? It's gotten ridiculously out of hand in recent years.

Yep. And considering the USELESSNESS of the LTA the backlog piles up.
Yeah I was waiting for Roddick´s game which was scheduled after Rus´if I understand correctly. Messed up seeing how the winner of that game has to play tomorrow, right? Or would they move that game a day too...? That´d be insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom