• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Fed looks like he has lost some power on his ground strokes. He still moves around the court really well (might have lost half a step), but his forehand doesn't seem to have that same pop that it uses to. Or maybe the other players have moved past him. Not sure.

But I am not so optimistic on him winning another one at Wilmbledon (his best chance assuming Nadal AND Dkoker don't get hurt or upset).

modulaire

I was afraid she would choke in the end.

Good match, Wozniacki was ok to, much more aggressive than usual. She should continue to play like this.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Vaidisova got bored with tennis. Wozniacki is simply slumping (has been for over a year).

Her boyfriend is in a massive slump, too. Ever since they started dating, it's been all down hill. Although I'm not sure that Woz ever made it to the top of the hill.

szaromir

Banned
so, about this paszek lady...
... i had no idea she's only 21!

She was a very promising junior, competing more or less at the same level as Azarenka, Radwanska and Wozniacki. No idea what happened during her transition to seniors. Good to see her living up to her potential, I wonder if she can do outside grass season though.

I'm hoping Andrea will take down Clijsters, though I'm not expecting it.

Jay Sosa

a bit late to the party but...

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

Go Sabine! A win for tennis purists and those who like women who smile a lot.

her smile is so infectious. I wish she would never lose again just so I can see her awesome vampire teeth all the time.

MIMIC

Banned
Quite the opposite.

She would be the 2nd recent #1 to hold a slam and then go out early.

I'm just saying that because it seemed that with Maria's return, she would be injecting some sense of normalcy and stability back into the WTA. If she were to lose today (which doesn't seem as likely, now that they're back on serve), it would just be more of the same.

Jay Sosa

I doubt povpov will lose early..I mean this is her favorite surface after all.

All the recent Nr #1 were fluky, we all know Sharapova is the real deal if she stays healthy. Plus I do enjoy the chaos on the womens side far more than the snoozefest the ATP has become.

szaromir

Banned
Damn, Pironkova wasted 5 set points. We'll have to win both sets tomorrow.

There was nothing flukish about Azarenka and if she wasn't so bad on clay she would cling to the #1 spot. She might still regain it after Wimbledon.

Peru

I doubt povpov will lose early..I mean this is her favorite surface after all.

She may say that, but it's been her weakest for a couple of years. Pironkova is also expert at dismantling big players at Wimbledon. I called this match as Maria's most dangerous several times in this thread.

Jay Sosa

Damn, Pironkova wasted 5 set points. We'll have to win both sets tomorrow.

There was nothing flukish about Azarenka and if she wasn't so bad on clay she would cling to the #1 spot. She might still regain it after Wimbledon.

I thought that as well but either she's hurt or she has mental problems, in any case she isn't a worthy number 1 (yet)

szaromir

Banned
I thought that as well but either she's hurt or she has mental problems, in any case she isn't a worthy number 1 (yet)
Her game translates poorly to clay and grass. She's the best hard court player though, Sharapova's the best clay court player (as ridiculous as it sounds).

Jay Sosa

Harrison can hang with anyone, but he can't get over the hump, and still loses to the occasional scrub outside the top 100. fun to watch though

absolutely, was very impressed with him at RG (of all places). But for some odd reason talented US players tend to fade into obscurity in the last years. Ginepri, Querrey looked like some legit top 15 material (at least on fast courts) but couldn't come back after injury problems.

It would be good for the sport if the US would have at least one player in the Top 5.

Her game translates poorly to clay and grass

well that's a poor excuse. I get that she has more problems on clay (even though I thought she was pretty good when she started*) but there's no reason she can't succeed on grass.

*just checked http://www.matchstat.com/Player/Victoria%20Azarenka and according to the cold hard facts she's pretty good on every surface

szaromir

Banned
well that's a poor excuse. I get that she has more problems on clay (even though I thought she was pretty good when she started*) but there's no reason she can't succeed on grass.

*just checked http://www.matchstat.com/Player/Victoria%20Azarenka and according to the cold hard facts she's pretty good on every surface

It's not an excuse, just an observation. I'm not a fan of either player. Azarenka had good-to-great clay results this year (two finals and R4), but Sharapova with her 3 titles gained enough points to have significantly more points off clay. But Azarenka handed Sharapova too many one-sided beatdowns on hard courts to have any doubt who's better on the surface that dominates in the season (over 6 months out of 10 are played on HC). That's why I think describing Sharapova as the real deal #1, when her ranking is very much in flux and she's much worse on the surface that will played on after Olympic Games till the end of the season, is wrong and out of place.

It'd be awesome if Radwanska could sneak the title here and at the same time #1 ranking for a few weeks, just to make things more interesting, although chances are pretty much nonexistent.

Jay Sosa

It'd be awesome if Radwanska could sneak the title here and at the same time #1 ranking for a few weeks, just to make things more interesting, although chances are pretty much nonexistent.

I love Radwanska but I just can't see her beat good hard-hitting opponents (on regular basis) like Sharapova, Serena or Azarenka to get to Nr.1. That said she might if she takes the Wozzy route.

Oh and regarding Sharpova on hard court: She had lots of problems with her serve last year and to me it seems that now that she's finally 100% healthy she could challenge Azarenka. Plus she has a coach that seems to be able to make her play a bit more intelligent. Should be a fun summer.

szaromir

Banned
I love Radwanska but I just can't see her beat good hard-hitting opponents (on regular basis) like Sharapova, Serena or Azarenka to get to Nr.1. That said she might if she takes the Wozzy route.

Oh and regarding Sharpova on hard court: She had lots of problems with her serve last year and to me it seems that now that she's finally 100% healthy she could challenge Azarenka. Plus she has a coach that seems to be able to make her play a bit more intelligent. Should be a fun summer.
She had no problems whatsoever with her serve this year and she crashed very hard against Azarenka in both AO and IW (and in Miami against Radwanska for that matter). She just can't do anything with Azarenka's deep flat balls that land at her feet, she was totally helpless in both matches despite very good serving.

Radwanska will become #1 if she beats in the final someone else than Azarenka, Azarenka will regain #1 if she reaches the finaland wins it or meets someone else than Sharapova. #1 spot is up for grabs for 3 players in both ATP and WTA this Wimbledon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom