• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned

Saty

Good match. Radwanska came from behind but she couldn't keep her first serves in the 3rd. At least she made all of you eat crow with your snide comments about Aga not being deserving to reach the final and that she had nothing to offer against Serena.

Hoping this is her first GS final of many.

zero_suit

Good match. Radwanska came from behind but she couldn't keep her first serves in the 3rd. At least she made all of you eat crow with your snide comments about Aga not being deserving to reach the final and that she had nothing to offer against Serena.

Agreed, this match was a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Nolan.

But she didn't though, Serena got bored and started playing crap then realised where she was and Radwanska couldn't keep up.

Love this girl Serena!

Haters can hate, doesn't phase Serena anyways. Seeing so much hatred on twitter and comments sections for her, just for being who she is. WS have gotten nothing but contempt from people since they first hit the scene. All they have ever done is played hard to win. The mental midgets of the WTA could learn a thing or two. I doubt many other of the women playing now will be able to win this trophy at 30.

Edit : My negativity is towards some fans. Radwanska lost the first set badly, but didn't give up and made this a good match. Nothing but respect for her.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Better player won. She's a horrible person but a truly brilliant athlete. This was an incredible achievement.

Saty

But she didn't though, Serena got bored and started playing crap then realised where she was and Radwanska couldn't keep up.

Serena didn't play well in the first, Radwanska just didn't serve good enough - there's a limit on how much break points you can save. On the other hand she took 2\2 of her BP. If anything, this match was decided by who had the most sting on her 1st serve for a longer period and in key times. Serena had like back-to-back service games with ace after ace in that 3rd set.

But sure, Serena was bored. Even though she was missing a lot of balls in the 1st set. Radwanska was physically ill.

clemenx

Banned
Oooh they're showing the doubles finals here for some reason, that's a first. Doubles isn't as compelling on TV but it's interesting seeing something different.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Grats to Serena. Not a big fan of hers (like Venus much more), but she deserves it. She's almost unbeatable on the women's side of tennis when she's not hurt and fully on her game especially her serve.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oooh they're showing the doubles finals here for some reason, that's a first. Doubles isn't as compelling on TV but it's interesting seeing something different.
yeah, was about to say the same. Watching doubles in RL is awesome, but i'm sure we'll see some good and fast stuff now as well :)

Saty

Pete Sampras – Seven-time Wimbledon champion (AP)

"Roger's always the favourite at Wimbledon, for me. He always will be. Just because of his game and his calm nerve. That's something you need in the Wimbledon final. You need to keep it simple and go out and play your tennis. It's a big match. It's our Super Bowl. Andy has a shot. But he's dealing with the hopes and dreams of a nation. Roger's the favourite, but anything can happen out there if Andy serves well, if he plays aggressive and goes for his shots. If he gets passive against Roger, I think Roger will win. Andy's going to have to take his chances. He can't just hang back against Roger and hope he misses."

Tim Henman – Four-time Wimbledon semi-finalist, Ex-Great Britain Davis Cup player (BBC blog)

"It's another big, big task for Murray. He's obviously lost to Federer in Grand Slam finals before, at the US Open in 2008 and the Australian Open in 2010, and he's lost all three he's played in total without winning a set. So it's crucial Murray gets off to a good start. But Andy will like the match-up with Roger and if he can get to Federer's backhand, of course he has a chance."

Greg Rusedski – Former US Open finalist, Great Britain Davis Cup player (Guardian blog)

"Murray has a real shot. All the hard work is done now and I don't see him being overawed by the occasion or the opponent he's facing. Yes, he was beaten by Roger Federer in two of his three previous Grand Slam finals but that's where his coach, Ivan Lendl, comes into play in getting Murray prepared. Lendl is tactically brilliant, plus he's so calm and composed. He holds eight Grand Slam titles and, having lost his first four major finals, he has also been through the same emotional heartaches as Murray. For Lendl victory would be doubly sweet because he never managed to win Wimbledon. We haven't seen him jump up and down in the players' box yet, but I'm sure that will happen if Murray becomes champion on Sunday."

Boris Becker – Three-time Wimbledon champion (Daily Telegraph blog)

"Roger is probably the greatest player of all time on grass, and it’s hard to describe just how difficult it can be to go up against somebody with so many options, so much talent. Roger has the whole arsenal: the half-volley, the second serve, the slice backhand and the drop shot. He brings it to you from the off, and on grass it’s so hard to compete with that weaponry because it’s the hardest surface to defend on. For me, Roger is the favourite by 55 per cent to 45. He has already been in too many this position not to know what he wants to do. He will have a good idea exactly how he wants to play this final, and I expect him to come out ultra-aggressive, trying to blitz Murray in the same way that Jo-Wilfried Tsonga did for much of the third and fourth sets."

John McEnroe – Three-time Wimbledon champion (on the BBC)

(Murray's previous Grand Slam final record) is clearly why he hired Ivan Lendl as he was in a similar situation as Murray at a similar stage of his career where he went 0-4 in Grand Slam finals and Murray is currently 0-3. Murray wanted to get that belief; someone he could look in the eye; someone with credibility that has been there and who went on to win eight Grand Slams. Murray is in the prime of his career this is the absolute best we have ever seen him play. Yes Roger Federer is close to what he was in his prime but you would think this is the opportunity where Murray can learn from his mistakes.

Pat Cash – 1987 Wimbledon champion (on the BBC)

We know that Murray can beat the top guys at least once. When Nadal went out we said that Murray doesn't have to win against top players twice. That was a huge moment, now he has to produce one really great match to win Wimbledon. He has played really well, but now he has to play one great match. Does Andy have that in him? Yes he does but will he do it? We will have to wait and see.

And from the men themselves

Andy Murray: "It's a massive challenge to win against Roger, in the final of a Slam. He's obviously one of the greatest players ever to have played. He's very, very tough to beat here. It's a great challenge, one where I'm probably not expected to win the match, but one that, if I play well, I'm capable of winning. I just need to try and make sure I play a perfect match on Sunday."

Roger Federer: "There's a lot on the line for me. I'm not denying that. I've worked extremely hard since I lost that matchpoint against Novak last year at the US Open. Now I have a chance at world No. 1, at the title again all at once. So it's a big match for me and I hope I can keep my nerves. I'm sure I can."
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/legends-give-murray-real-shot-glory-120223232.html

szaromir

Banned
Not the best match but the best final in women's major since AO 2010. Typically it's a more one sided affair, especially this year's AO.

I am not looking forward to the slow motion cinematic hype trailers with white captions about 'Britain's last hope' that will be airing tomorrow.

He's already done more than any Brit for many decades, calling him Britain's last hope seems very odd considering he's in the final, tbh I'm proud enough as a Brit of that accomplishment.

Not that winning it wouldn't be great of course.

mclem

Nice sportsmanship from Marray when they could have been 5-0 up in the tie break.

Edit: And they took the tie break anyway; 2-1. C'mon!

Glad I'll be able to spend tomorrow morning, which is bound to be extremely hot outside, in the cool, relaxing environment of my house watching the final tomorrow.

I love the final's breakfast at wimbledon! best day of the year!

that was sportsmanship right there. skill (and possiby karma!) won them the set.

crazy a brit (a wildcard!) might win wimbledon and we have another possibility tomorrow.

rain though :(

Jay Sosa

Pretty surprised that Roger is such a odds on favorite tomorrow, he hasn't played very convincing this grass court season. Sure he beat Borekovic but dude just isn't the same guy this year.

But anyway final couldn't have been any more interesting. Maybe Federer last shot at a slam and Murrays first at becoming a legend in the UK.

Glad to see Serena win the slam, still think she's a horrible person on court but she simply is the best player when she wants to.

Would be awesome to see Marray win the doubles, I'm sure it would mean the world to him.

His racket hit the net, the umpire never noticed and he admitted it.

That's awesome, Gonzalez and Petzschner should takes notes.

Smellycat

I have work at 2 pm est. That means I will be able to watch less than 5 hours of play (if it is an epic match). Let's hope there aren't any rain delays.

mclem

Would be awesome to see Marray win the doubles, I'm sure it would mean the world to him.

I was amused when the commentators mentioned that so far this year he's earned $30k; that's all. Losing in the doubles final is 60k pounds, winning is over £100k.

While it's - of course - not all about the money, that serves to highlight the difference in stature between what's happening tonight and what's gone before!

Edit: They've just reiterated it in a different form: Earnings of $400k over a decade of playing. They've also suggested that this might be the first Wimbledon final under the roof?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
A lot of people mentioned that the semifinal was the first match between Federer and Djokovic on grass, but have Murray and Federer ever played on it?

mclem

...or perhaps not.

Given Lindstedt/Tecau's history, I can't really begrudge them the win if they go on to take it.

I was rather hoping to head off and cook my dinner now. That's not gonna happen.

mclem

Mustn't get too hopeful, mustn't get too hopeful.

I really thought they'd fade away after losing that tiebreak after being so close.

Edit: I've got to stop thinking of Hitchcock films whenever I see the scorecard.
MJ5fw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom