• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

raYne said:
Sounds like that should be it. Desolate Mine or something right?

:lol Don't remember any more. Just know I had to take some weapons, and give them to the three characters there, and they all had different abilities. One used Blade, one used blunt, and one used marksman. In my case, all three survived, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for them. :)

raYne

:lol Ok

Yeah, just keep an eye out when you're outside any castle in a city. They seem to travel around 'cause I've seen 'em all over the place.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
GreekWolf said:
Finally reached 200 hours played! :D

...maybe I shouldn't be bragging about that

larp9.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Kung Fu Jedi said:
The deed is in his room, and you can get the key off his body, although I got it by actually paying for it. I'm to the point where I have more money than god in the game. Over 100k, so I'm not afraid to throw a little of it around. (The beggars love me! :)) I own that house, and have it completely furnished.

thats what I thought but I couldnt find his room in the castle. At least it wasnt labelled, only saw 3 rooms in the living quarters and no deed in any of them.

I have enough money, I just feel like doing it a more interesting way :) he does live in the castle right? Nabbed the castle key off him already....

gotta say again I love this game. One of the best games ever.

firex

kaizoku said:
1) any bonuses for completing a full armour set or say wearing completely full light armour? I just tend to go for whatever has the best stat at my current point, but if I got some kind of boost for having say a full elven set I wouldn't break it up when I found glass boots for example.

There's no "set" bonuses for having all of one type of armor, but if you're a Master of light armor, you get 50% more armor if you're wearing all light armor. It's one of the reasons I actually think light armor is the better choice overall - with mastery I'd imagine you could easily hit the cap of 85 armor, and it frees up so much more of your inventory space than heavy does.
The only reason to wear full glass/daedric/whatever is for looks, and, if it's the best you can get at your level, so you're wearing the best possible stuff.

and spoilered stuff in general that's kind of disappointing:

I went and got some of the Daedric shrine armors and I've got to say, they're rather disappointing for the cost.

Masque of Clavicus Vile - ok, this is the same armor as a Daedric helm I believe, maybe a little less, but the enchant on it is useless IMO... though I will admit it looks cool. But you have to trade in Umbra for it, and no way in hell would I do that again, personally.

Saviour's Hide - this thing is just weak. I got a glass cuirass and it has more armor on it, and the 25% resist magicka enchant, while nice, is not the best thing ever (and you can just enchant some glass with more resist magicka). The thing that sucks is, you've got to kill the unicorn to get this... and I'd much, much rather have the unicorn alive just for how insane that horse is. I don't use horses much, but it's fast, insanely strong, and has a lot of health.

I will say though, that the daedric shrine WEAPONS are really nice. Technically you can get better leveled loot, but the difference is really minor - something like a sword with 1 more attack than Goldbrand and a stronger enchant maybe, but that's totally random and won't happen until you're above level 30 at the least.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I love being a vampire, hunters sight is such a useful ability I no longer need torches and it saves me from wasting life detection on another item. Plus it is so dam cool drinking someone’s blood before you assassinate them.

Feeding isn’t hard I use my servant in my skingrad manor, but you can just break into any house if you’re a skilled thief. That said my servant did tell me I looked different so I drank her blood again.

It would be nice if my gift had a chance of passing on.

P.S I would only recommend becoming a vampire after clearing the main quest.

Vark

Do The Mario said:
I love being a vampire, hunters sight is such a useful ability I no longer need torches and it saves me from wasting life detection on another item. Plus it is so dam cool drinking someone’s blood before you assassinate them.

Feeding isn’t hard I use my servant in my skingrad manor, but you can just break into any house if you’re a skilled thief. That said my servant did tell me I looked different so I drank her blood again.

It would be nice if my gift had a chance of passing on.

P.S I would only recommend becoming a vampire after clearing the main quest.

Easy feeding can also be had at any inn. The inn keeper usually sleeps right next to where they offer services (Skingrad and Chorrol I know for sure they do) so just wait until like 3am or something and they'll go to bed right there.

Vark

GreekWolf said:
Finally reached 200 hours played! :D

...maybe I shouldn't be bragging about that

I have you beat :p oh btw, I haven't loaded up the save in a while but my record bounty is about 505,000 gold. If anyone beats that post a screenshot.

GhaleonEB

My vampirism is apparantly getting worse. The sun is starting to do damage. I'm still trying to figure out where the damhn flowers are to get back into the Mage's Guild, and now I've got to deal with this as well (my spells are waaaaay behind my fighting ability; not good for my battle mage).

1) Where are those damn flowers?

2) How do I cure vampirism?

(Been searching the thread, but 7,000 posts is a LOT of posts!)

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
My vampirism is apparantly getting worse. The sun is starting to do damage. I'm still trying to figure out where the damhn flowers are to get back into the Mage's Guild, and now I've got to deal with this as well (my spells are waaaaay behind my fighting ability; not good for my battle mage).

(Been searching the thread, but 7,000 posts is a LOT of posts!)
Just feed and you won’t take sun damage

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
What is pissing me off is I can’t find my horse shadowmare! I know he is not dead because he can’t die.

Is there a quick way to find your horse? They should add a map marker for your horse in the patch.

GreekWolf

Vark said:
I have you beat :p oh btw, I haven't loaded up the save in a while but my record bounty is about 505,000 gold. If anyone beats that post a screenshot.
505k?? Holy smokes. It'll take me another 200 hours to beat that :lol

firex

Do The Mario said:
What is pissing me off is I can’t find my horse shadowmare! I know he is not dead because he can’t die.

Is there a quick way to find your horse? They should add a map marker for your horse in the patch.
he's at the place where you originally got him.

Scenario: Bruma, west side, between the bandit cave and the town walls. I hear the sounds of fighting, and find a guard emptying his quiver at someone. Someone who turns out to be...another...guard? Wierd. So, in the spirit of profit, I slap a lightning bolt upside one of the bandits in the cave to add to the fun, then play them off against one another, looting them all. :D

Odd thing was, a little down the way to the NW, I found 4 dead deer; these weren't regular Imperial Guards, they were Foresters. Did one find another poaching? I didn't see any tell-tale questy-type items on either guard corpse...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
SatelliteOfLove said:
Scenario: Bruma, west side, between the bandit cave and the town walls. I hear the sounds of fighting, and find a guard emptying his quiver at someone. Someone who turns out to be...another...guard? Wierd. So, in the spirit of profit, I slap a lightning bolt upside one of the bandits in the cave to add to the fun, then play them off against one another, looting them all. :D

Odd thing was, a little down the way to the NW, I found 4 dead deer; these weren't regular Imperial Guards, they were Foresters. Did one find another poaching? I didn't see any tell-tale questy-type items on either guard corpse...

Ive seen that before, i think one of the guards must keep accidently hitting the other one while chasing deer. When i was watching they just kept shooting eachother in the crotch, they ended up with a huge quiver of arrows sticking out of their wangs.

Grath

GhaleonEB said:

Vampire cure

Flowers
GameFAQs guide said:
I've looked through the Oblivion boards, and it seems you
can find Dragon's Tongue around Fort Redwater near the Black Marsh
border. They can also be found north-east of Leyawiin. Supposidly theres
some in the West Weald area, between Skingrad and Bravil as well.

Redwort Flowers are found south-east of the Fieldhouse Cave by Leyawiin,
near the Black Marsh border again. Some more is found near the Ayleid Ruins
of Wendelbek and Morahame, along the eastern coast of Niben Bay, along the
Panther River. Some may be scattered about the West Weald.

I've also seen that you can by a few of these in Skingrad in the shop called
All Things Alchemical.

GhaleonEB

It's been a good 10 years since a game kept me up until nearly 2am.

But Arena Champion, baby! And I did the last three matches taking sun damage (vampire) and healing like mad!

For the last battle agains the Grey Prince
he just stood there. I noticed as my last blow fell I had the option to talk, but I killed him first in my hurry. I'm assuming he'd lost his will to live since he read that book I returned to him. Can someone tell me what happens when you talk to him?
Thanks.

*passes out*

Grath

If i remember correctly he just says that he doesnt want to live anymore, and begs you to kill him, so you can be the arena champion.

Ugh, anyone else ever have an issue with "The Ultimate Heist" where everything works PERFECTLY right up until the precise moment you sit in the chair to have them bring you the scroll?

I've done it twice before, both times without any issues at all. However, on this character, you hear some woman's voice (there are no women anywhere, and I've run around and can't find any) and you hear the battle music and I just get stuck in the chair... as if the scene were proceeding as it normally would (them bringing me the scroll) but it never happens, no matter how long I wait.....

Also the blind monks attack me if my cover is blown, which makes no sense (I'm not talking/making sounds).

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Ugh, anyone else ever have an issue with "The Ultimate Heist" where everything works PERFECTLY right up until the precise moment you sit in the chair to have them bring you the scroll?

I've done it twice before, both times without any issues at all. However, on this character, you hear some woman's voice (there are no women anywhere, and I've run around and can't find any) and you hear the battle music and I just get stuck in the chair... as if the scene were proceeding as it normally would (them bringing me the scroll) but it never happens, no matter how long I wait.....

Also the blind monks attack me if my cover is blown, which makes no sense (I'm not talking/making sounds).

Try Jumping straight down to the chair rather then walk down the stairs.

Seth C

Unequip all of your weapons and torches. Putting them away isn't enough.

raYne

Seth C said:
Er.. yes it is. I'm not sure about torches, but just sheathed my sword and all went as planned even though I still had my quiver of arrows on my back.

Are you walking around? They can pinpoint your location and attack you if you are.

The first time I did it I blew my cover as well, but I just crouched (sneaked) and they couldn't find me. Hell, I even went upstairs just to see what was up there they followed me upstairs (though everyone tends to do that, even if you turn invisible after being spotted) but couldn't find me to attack me.

DJ Brannon said:
Can you drink deer blood?
No.

Vark said:
The hell? Did you kill whole towns of people? :lol

GhaleonEB

Grath said:
If i remember correctly he just says that he doesnt want to live anymore, and begs you to kill him, so you can be the arena champion.
Thanks, that's what I had assumed. No need to go back and load the old save file for it.

Seth C said:

Nope... (didn't work, they still immediately attack me and I'm stuck) I'm just going to give up on it, though it does annoy me because completing the Thieves Guild was the last thing my character needed to be ringleader of pretty much everything possible.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Nope... (didn't work, they still immediately attack me and I'm stuck) I'm just going to give up on it, though it does annoy me because completing the Thieves Guild was the last thing my character needed to be ringleader of pretty much everything possible.

Did you try jumping straight down to the chair it worked for me?

Seth C

raYne said:
Er.. yes it is. I'm not sure about torches, but just sheathed my sword and all went as planned even though I still had my quiver of arrows on my back.

Not for everyone, unfortunately. This quest seems to be bugged all to hell. I tried for hours, and kept getting locked in the chair, until I actually took off all of my weapons.

GhaleonEB

My play style is pretty free roaming. I'm 48 hours in and have only completed 20 quests. :lol

I spent two hours yesterday just climbing a mountain to see what was on top. Not much, other than a great view and some rare plants (and a shrine). And I thought it was worth it. It takes a great game to make that kind of exploration fun.

Ecrofirt

Bah, goddamnit. How lengthy is the process of getting back in the Mages Guild? I found a lady in the Bravil Mages guild with an item called <missing name> that shoes a giant ! texture if you pickpocket and then drop the item. I started FRAPS and went to record myself doing pickpocketing it and dropping it, but she woke up. I frantically went to load my quicksave, but I accidentally hit F5. Now I've got an autosave and a quicksave at the same point after getting kicked out of the guild :(

If it's a lengthy process to get back in, I'll probably just not play the game anymore.

GhaleonEB

Ecrofirt said:
Bah, goddamnit. How lengthy is the process of getting back in the Mages Guild? I found a lady in the Bravil Mages guild with an item called <missing name> that shoes a giant ! texture if you pickpocket and then drop the item. I started FRAPS and went to record myself doing pickpocketing it and dropping it, but she woke up. I frantically went to load my quicksave, but I accidentally hit F5. Now I've got an autosave and a quicksave at the same point after getting kicked out of the guild :(

If it's a lengthy process to get back in, I'll probably just not play the game anymore.
You need to pick 20 of two kinds of flowers for the Acadamy. Go to the Acadamy and talk to the head guy to initiate the quest. I'm having a hell of a time finding them but a few posts up someone posted locations of them. If that's correct then it should be pretty easy. I'll be trying tonight.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3234033&postcount=7032

Ecrofirt

GhaleonEB said:
You need to pick 20 of two kinds of flowers for the Acadamy. I'm having a hell of a time finding them but a few posts up someone posted locations of them. If that's correct then it should be pretty easy. I'll be trying tonight.
any idea if you can dupe them? If so, I'll be all over this.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Ecrofirt said:

yes, you can. Cheater.

The funny thing is that if you get to archmage and get kicked out, you can still use the alchemy chest to make copies of the items you need. So you really only need to find 1.

raYne

Ecrofirt said:
You could always use the additem code..

Nerevar said:
The funny thing is that if you get to archmage and get kicked out, you can still use the alchemy chest to make copies of the items you need. So you really only need to find 1.
I was going to say the same thing, but figured that if he already completed the questline he wouldn't care that much.

Vark

raYne said:
The hell? Did you kill whole towns of people? :lol

I was killing every non-essential NPC in the game. I wiped out all the towns and most of the settlements. When I stoped I was drudging the wilderness looking for survivors.

raYne

Wow, I can't imagine going on that much of a rampage... but this sounds like a challenge I might take up in the future. :D

*wonders how much added bounty I could get for breaking in at night, as well as stealing everything in sight* Heh.

belgurdo

Banned
There anything I can do with the boots of Springheel Jak after
I become the Grey Fox?
I tried the trick with Sanguine that gives you their equip bonus without wearing them but it didn't work (probably because I used console commands to finish The Ultimate Heist thanks to bugs and probably screwed something up)

GhaleonEB

I was going to cure my vampirism and then get back into the Mage's Guild, but I'm supposed to talk to the same guy at the University for both, and he'll ONLY ask if I have his pretty flowers. So I'm off to pick flowers for the night. :(

(Not sure what duping is, but if it's an exploit I'm not interested.)

S|kH

So, I just bought Oblivion and installed it.

My computer is a very, very slow one, and not meant for gaming, but I figured Oblivion should work on atleast the lowest specs.

2.8ghz, P-4
128mb ATI mobility radeon 9000
512mb RAM

the game loads up, everything is fine...but all I see is a white screen, and very very faint remarks of a huge tea-cup starting off and a few other things.

Anyone know how to fix this? Is it a driver issue, or my vid card is not capable of pumping out this game?

I put all the settings to lowest possible.

bengraven

Aw, until now, I had only one freeze-up, outside the gates of Skingrad while being attacked by a rat. Today I had two in one day! I recently got the HDD (yes, I decided to settle on the Core pack on launch day, because I reallyfuckingneededa360, but that's a discussion I'm tired of getting into) and I wonder if that's related. Doubtful. But it's odd that I get two in one day.

I'm going to have to clean out a dungeon all over again for a Fighter's Guild mission. Ugh.

GhaleonEB

I'm going to spoiler this whole thing for those that have not done the dungeon yet.

I'm in a cave called Sideways Cave (randomly found, not attached to a quest). It's on an island to the east of the capital city.

It started off as a normal cave, and in the second section opened up into a GIANT underground cathedral, decaying and collapsed. Tons of tough monsters and a general sense of dread in here...a dead exporer, a giant pile of dead skeletons, a dead deer. Lots of indications something powerful is in here.

Then I begin to find a series of roughly translated notes, talking about Meridia. They hint at some huge powerful event that destroyed the place. There are a series of them, and it becomes clear that something was awakened or found that wreaked havok on this place and its occupants. At the very end I find a historian, dead, and the final note:

"[A hasty translation is scrawled here...] Stone-Settlers (builders?) not rest (wake?) Meridia. Terror of the Most Terror. Haste to safehome."

Seems something (Meridia?) is up and running in this place. Right after that there is a door, that just loops out to another part of the cave. I'm left standing on a small outcropping overlooking an open area I had cleared out on the way there. There is a large second level around the outside of the path, but I can't get to it. A ladder long enough is laying on the ground, but I can't do anything with it.

Anyone know what else there is to this cave? Is some monster lurking around? Can I get up to that other level? I'm pretty freaked out - all the build-up with the corpses and notes has me on edge. I hope there's a payoff.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to spoiler this whole thing for those that have not done the dungeon yet.

I'm in a cave called Sideways Cave (randomly found, not attached to a quest). It's on an island to the east of the capital city.

It started off as a normal cave, and in the second section opened up into a GIANT underground cathedral, decaying and collapsed. Tons of tough monsters and a general sense of dread in here...a dead exporer, a giant pile of dead skeletons, a dead deer. Lots of indications something powerful is in here.

Then I begin to find a series of roughly translated notes, talking about Meridia. They hint at some huge powerful event that destroyed the place. There are a series of them, and it becomes clear that something was awakened or found that wreaked havok on this place and its occupants. At the very end I find a historian, dead, and the final note:

"[A hasty translation is scrawled here...] Stone-Settlers (builders?) not rest (wake?) Meridia. Terror of the Most Terror. Haste to safehome."

Seems something (Meridia?) is up and running in this place. Right after that there is a door, that just loops out to another part of the cave. I'm left standing on a small outcropping overlooking an open area I had cleared out on the way there. There is a large second level around the outside of the path, but I can't get to it. A ladder long enough is laying on the ground, but I can't do anything with it.

Anyone know what else there is to this cave? Is some monster lurking around? Can I get up to that other level? I'm pretty freaked out - all the build-up with the corpses and notes has me on edge. I hope there's a payoff.

I did that one too, up to where you are.
Minotaurs, Ogres, Trolls...and that one note that said "fourth hour of the sun" or something similar. So I slept in the dead scholars bedroll till 3:30 PM, waited...nothing. Then slept to 3:20am and waited...nothing. I'm confused too.

Top Bottom