• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GhaleonEB said:
I have now reached level 100 in Alchemy, the Master class, having mixed nearly 1,800 potions or poisons. The benefit is I can now mix poisons and potions with only one ingredient, rather than two. I thought this meant I would be able to select the effect, of the four offered, that I wanted from each, but alas it is not so. Each ingredient has one fixed effect, and it seems random which it is. Of about 10 ingredients which have Damage Health, for example, only one actually did Damage Health being mixed up alone.

Major bummer. Also, the strength of my concoctions did not change when I hit 100. Bummer part 2. :(

Well, you can still make potions with selective effects by mixing multiple ingredients like before. I usually made one-ingredient potions using Flax Seeds from around Skingrad and Steel Blue Entoloma from around Chorrol for restore magicka (my character had the Atronach birthsign), Nightshade, Wisp Stalk Caps, Stink Horn Caps, Harrada Root & Spiddal Sticks for Damage Health poisons, and Boar meat, Cairn Bolete Caps, Daedra Hearts and Lady's Mantle leaves for Restore Health potions. Otherwise I'd usually still do mult-ingredient potions.

Potion effectiveness is linear with skill increase, so the difference between Alchemy of 99 and 100 is going to be negligible. The Master perk is the ability to make single-ingredient potions, but everything else is the same as if you'd increased from 98 to 99, pretty much.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
What are your Marksman and Agility scores? Make sure you're not being affected by some curse/spell that is lowering your Agility greatly. I never really found the aiming mechanics to be slow or cumbersome at all. Quite the contrary actually. I thought they worked well, and had a nice balance.

The zoom feature that you get when your Marksman skill gets high enough is awesome too.

I thought the arrows travelled way too slow, but other than that, I liked how it was handled.

Core407 said:
I thought the arrows travelled way too slow, but other than that, I liked how it was handled.

Yeah, the arrows were slow, but I figured it was done that way so you could actually see where your arrows are going a little easier and adjust aim.

bengraven

So if your luck is less than 50, all your skills are likely to be less effective? My Mercantile is fairly high and I'm still having to haggle at about 130-40%. Maybe it's because I have such low luck.

Man, the more powerful I get the more I rely on sneaking in the dungeons. Some of these enemies are frigging TOUGH and the battles are epic (like against necromancers). Its virtually impossible for me to take on more than one enemy at a time and live through it. Am I doing something wrong here or does the curve eventually begin to shift more in my direction?

siamesedreamer said:
Man, the more powerful I get the more I rely on sneaking in the dungeons. Some of these enemies are frigging TOUGH and the battles are epic (like against necromancers). Its virtually impossible for me to take on more than one enemy at a time and live through it. Am I doing something wrong here or does the curve eventually begin to shift more in my direction?

The curve does swing back your way eventually, but I always recommend a few things when people start running into problems.

First, make sure that you are updating your weapons, armor, and other equipment when ever possible to better stuff. Wear rings and amulets to enhance your abilities as well. Some people find a few good items they like and stick with them, forgetting that they may be under powered for the level they are at. Same goes with spells. The destruction spells that worked great early in the game don't do nearly enough damge later on. If you summon a creature to help out, make sure you're summoning better and better things as you go. That skeleton from level 5 isn't going to cut it against those Daedra Lords.

Secondly, learn to change up your tactics. The things that worked great early on, aren't going to work as well against the tougher opponents. I often liked to sneak up and use an arrow from the distance for the x3 damage, then hit them with spells as they approached, before pulling out a better weapon for melee. Later on in the game, as my sneak skill got better, I found it more worthwhile to sneak up on them to get the x6 bonus with my sword, which did more damage than my bow anyway. Mix in some poison attacks, summoned creatures, and spells that do damage over time, and you can put a serious hurtin' on the creatures.

Finally, the game is suppose to be fun. If you're struggling and it's frustrating, don't be afraid to turn down the difficulty a notch or two. You can always turn it back up when things are starting to get too easy.

Yonn said:
If everything goes according to my plan I should be playing Oblivion 24 from now hours :)

Question: What race do you prefer? Is there any race that makes the game particularly fun/boring to play? Edge thought that choosing a thief would make for a more satisfying experience. True?

Edit: I'm reading this FAQ (How to make a balanced character) hoping it'll answer some questions. http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/oblivion_balanced_char.txt

I don't have a preference for race. They've all got their benefits and drawbacks. Just look for the race that suits your style of play and offers the benefits that you see most useful to you.

And there is no wrong or right character class. I think it's completely possible to get a rich and rewarding experience out of the game with many different types of characters. Find one that suits your needs, and plays the way that you want to. Don't be afraid to start over if you feel you chose poorly the first time. You'll have a lot better understanding on your second attempt after you've played for awhile.

yonder

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Don't be afraid to start over if you feel you chose poorly the first time. You'll have a lot better understanding on your second attempt after you've played for awhile.
Yeah, it's just that...I don't want to do that :/ I'll just read som FAQs (makes the time go :)) and try to figure out what would suit me best.

Bring on tomorrow, I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve! :D

Man, the more powerful I get the more I rely on sneaking in the dungeons

I do that too, but mainly because my guy has such awesome sneaking abilities. I can pop a necromancer from 20 paces with an arrow and he won't even notice. Add in a few more for good measure and "hello, treasure city!!"

gblues

Banned
I think the patch put the kibosh on my tactics from my first play-through (I didn't patch until I started my 2nd character). I had a combined chameleon effect of like 75% and I was sneaking around everywhere; I could get multiple 3x/6x modifiers by making sure I stayed out of sight--the eye would light up for 1 second and then go back to clear, and I'd get another cheap shot in.

Looking at the patch log, it looks like I'd been exploiting a bug that got patched; I certainly haven't been able to accomplish the same--once I'm spotted by a hostile, I stay spotted.

Nathan

Yonn said:
Yeah, it's just that...I don't want to do that :/ I'll just read som FAQs (makes the time go :)) and try to figure out what would suit me best.

Bring on tomorrow, I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve! :D

I'm not talking about restarting when you're 50+ hours into the game. I'm talking about restarting after say 10 hours, when you have a much better understanding of the game mechanics, the world you're exploring, and the style of play you want to use.

I'm also not suggesting that you should start over if you're happy with your character. All I'm saying is, you'll get more fun out of the game if you play something you enjoy, and fits your style. So, don't be afraid to start over should you find your first character build doesn't meet your needs. Enjoy.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not talking about restarting when you're 50+ hours into the game. I'm talking about restarting after say 10 hours, when you have a much better understanding of the game mechanics, the world you're exploring, and the style of play you want to use.

I'm also not suggesting that you should start over if you're happy with your character. All I'm saying is, you'll get more fun out of the game if you play something you enjoy, and fits your style. So, don't be afraid to start over should you find your first character build doesn't meet your needs. Enjoy.

So how many hours have you put in? I'm currently at 125 hours, but my progress is slowing down. I don' think I'll ever max out all my stats, but hopefully I can get most of em to a decent rating.

150+ hours. Chromehounds has cut into Oblivion time, and since completing the Main Quest and all the Guild Quests, I tend to just explore more. There is less of a sense of urgency these days, and more of a "I think I'll go out for a stroll" adventures. :)

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
150+ hours. Chromehounds has cut into Oblivion time, and since completing the Main Quest and all the Guild Quests, I tend to just explore more. There is less of a sense of urgency these days, and more of a "I think I'll go out for a stroll" adventures. :)

So you haven't even finished the main quest? I can't imagine what you're doing, but I'm sure it's fun.

The Saints Row demo and COD2 MP has been taking up most of my gaming time.

Saints Row - the next Oblivion! :lol

DJ Sl4m

I'm selling Oblivion and Ridge racer, hopefully I can get decent trade in prices towards Dead Rising.

I realise Oblivion is supposed to be a really good RPG, and each generation I always give one a chance tin hopes they will grow on me.
I still can't get into em, they just seem to slow paced, not enough control of the fighting and the repitition is just killing me.

I'm glad you guys like it, the genre is simply not for me, but at least I try to kep an open mind and try them anyway.

Core407 said:
So you haven't even finished the main quest? I can't imagine what you're doing, but I'm sure it's fun.

No, I finished it some time ago. In my last post, I said "since I've finshed the Main Quest." Aside from a bunch of side quests, I've pretty much done all the BIG things.

DJ Sl4m said:
I'm selling Oblivion and Ridge racer, hopefully I can get decent trade in prices towards Dead Rising.

I realise Oblivion is supposed to be a really good RPG, and each generation I always give one a chance tin hopes they will grow on me.
I still can't get into em, they just seem to slow paced, not enough control of the fighting and the repitition is just killing me.

I'm glad you guys like it, the genre is simply not for me, but at least I try to kep an open mind and try them anyway.

Thanks for coming into this 9500+ post thread to contribute this.

Core407

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:

That's all I really ask out of people. I've got a friend who has never even tried an Elder Scrolls title, but he was raving about Oblivion and after I got it and played it for a while, I started telling him about my experiences and he was very interested, but he won't actually try the game.

Good choice on DR, though.

which is the best way to level up the sneaking ability?

the first levels were easy, but now (level 40 of sneaking if i remember right) it's difficult..
i'm not a member of the thieves guild, if i become a member will i level up the ability more easily?

thanks for the help :)

DJ Sl4m

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Thanks for coming into this 9500+ post thread to contribute this.

:lol Come on now, cut me some slack ;p

Far too many people these days slam games they never try. I tried, and it's still not for me, a good slower paced game that I did like is the new Tomb Raider though.

At least I actually tried the game.

Core407 said:
That's all I really ask out of people. I've got a friend who has never even tried an Elder Scrolls title, but he was raving about Oblivion and after I got it and played it for a while, I started telling him about my experiences and he was very interested, but he won't actually try the game.

Good choice on DR, though.

Yea, I'm actually looking forward to it despite that it will probably be a short game.
I have a habit of exploring everything in a game, so I'm sure I'll keep myself busy checking for every object to use and store to visit.

Core407

Banned
Manuel_Calavera said:

the first levels were easy, but now (level 40 of sneaking if i remember right) it's difficult..
i'm not a member of the thieves guild, if i become a member will i level up the ability more easily?

I don't know if it still works, but in Morrowind, you could level up your sneak by staying undetected with a NPC in your proximity.

DJ Sl4m said:
:lol Come on now, cut me some slack ;p

Far too many people these days slam games they never try. I tried, and it's still not for me, a good slower paced game that I did like is the new Tomb Raider though.

At least I actually tried the game.

Alright! I'll give you props for trying! :D RPG's aren't for everyone, I'll give you that, and a game like Oblivion can be a lot more daunting than just a normal RPG.

I hope Dead Rising is as good as GAF hopes, otherwise, there will be a total meltdown around this place. Personally, I think it looks like fun, but could get pretty repetitious, and the fact that it dosn't have multiplayer co-op is inexcusable.

Vark

Manuel_Calavera said:

Go to Skingrad castle, go up on the balcony there and to the right it sort of juts out and there's some tables or something.

1) Enter sneak mode
2) wrap cord around analog stick so its stuck going 'forward'
3) go get dinner

Core407 said:
I don't know if it still works, but in Morrowind, you could level up your sneak by staying undetected with a NPC in your proximity.

I think you need to be moving around an NPC in order to level it up. Just standing around in stealth mode won't do it. Joining the thieves guild doesn't do anything to help you level it up faster, but you can find a stealth trainer in the Garden District of the Imperial City I think.

Otherwise, I simply walked around in stealth mode when ever I was in any dungeon/tomb.

Edit: Or you can do what Vark suggested.
Cheater!

Hrmmm...is there a max level in this game? I'm trying to resist the urge to buy it, and the one thing I absolutely HATED about the original Morrowind was the leveling system. However, if there's not a max level--even though I'm fairly certain there wasn't one in the original Morrowind, but I just HAD to get a 5x modifier for my stats--I suppose I wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

Vark said:
Go to Skingrad castle, go up on the balcony there and to the right it sort of juts out and there's some tables or something.

1) Enter sneak mode
3) go get dinner

lol thanks for the help.

i think i'll try it :D

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I had a very high acrobatics skill when doing the thief guilds quest, so I was able to unquip those special boots when falling through the chimney and got to keep them. With those and my high acrobatics, I can jump really high. Seriously, rooftops are nothing :lol

Tom the Enchanter said:
Hrmmm...is there a max level in this game? I'm trying to resist the urge to buy it, and the one thing I absolutely HATED about the original Morrowind was the leveling system. However, if there's not a max level--even though I'm fairly certain there wasn't one in the original Morrowind, but I just HAD to get a 5x modifier for my stats--I suppose I wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

The leveling system is similar to the one in Morrowind, and yes, you can reach a max level, but by the time you do, you'll have played through the vast majority of the game. I've played 150+ hours, and I'm at level 42, but still not maxed out, although I can only increase another few levels at this point, and my progress has slowed down to a crawl.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
The leveling system is similar to the one in Morrowind, and yes, you can reach a max level, but by the time you do, you'll have played through the vast majority of the game. I've played 150+ hours, and I'm at level 42, but still not maxed out, although I can only increase another few levels at this point, and my progress has slowed down to a crawl.

I'm at 42 myself! Last thing I have left to level is my alchemy skills, which is a breeze. I think I've leveled it up 60 points in the last 2 hours. :lol

I just run around picking flowers and what-not and during the night, I sneak into people's houses and steal their food! :lol

Then I whip up about 500 potions, sell them to someone and then buy up a bunch of ingredients from shop keeps.

GhaleonEB

I've noticed that most inns have food on the table of the room you stay in that is yours for staying the night - not tagged red. I usually get a good dozen items or so each night. A nice little bonus.

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I've noticed that most inns have food on the table of the room you stay in that is yours for staying the night - not tagged red. I usually get a good dozen items or so each night. A nice little bonus.

There is a bakers house in one of the towns (Skingrad?) and the guy makes some of the best sweetrolls ever! :lol

Ok, I'm a weeeeee bit confused now:

So, I'm doing the Mage's guild quests when I have to go to Skingrad to meet with the count. He wants me to clear out a dungeon full of vampires and take out their hunters in town. I clear out the dungeon (and come away with two sweet level 12 glass swords that are green and ****ing awsome) and take out their hunters in town (had to spend some time in jail for killing them).

In the process I am met by some dude from the dark brotherhood who says I've been watched by some big momma and he wants me to kill some guy at the Ill Omen Inn for my initiation. I go there and kill him. I then go back to the count in Skingrad to talk about what info he has for me and then I sleep at the Two Sister's Inn. Anyway, while I am there I am visited by a vampire and some weird shit happens and now I've got all these vampire spells/traits that I'm not sure who I got them from. Did they come from the count (who is a vampire), the dark brotherhood dude, or did some other vampires follow me around or something? WTF do I do now? Should I not worry about being turned into a vampire? Does it inhibit what I can do (like not going out during the day? What's the cure?

gblues

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Ok, I'm a weeeeee bit confused now:

So, I'm doing the Mage's guild quests when I have to go to Skingrad to meet with the count. He wants me to clear out a dungeon full of vampires and take out their hunters in town. I clear out the dungeon (and come away with two sweet level 12 glass swords that are green and ****ing awsome) and take out their hunters in town (had to spend some time in jail for killing them).

In the process I am met by some dude from the dark brotherhood who says I've been watched by some big momma and he wants me to kill some guy at the Ill Omen Inn for my initiation. I go there and kill him. I then go back to the count in Skingrad to talk about what info he has for me and then I sleep at the Two Sister's Inn. Anyway, while I am there I am visited by a vampire and some weird shit happens and now I've got all these vampire spells/traits that I'm not sure who I got them from. Did they come from the count (who is a vampire), the dark brotherhood dude, or did some other vampires follow me around or something? WTF do I do now? Should I not worry about being turned into a vampire? Does it inhibit what I can do (like not going out during the day? What's the cure?

You probably contracted vampirism while fighting the vampires the Count sent you after. You can either live with it and go on the "cure vampirism" quest, download the "evil lair" DLC and insta-cure yourself, reload a save and quaff a "cure disease" potion before you rest at the inn, or just stay a vampire forever.

Nathan

Vark said:

1) Enter sneak mode
3) go get dinner

omg.
thanks for your help vark...
now i'm level 75 at sneaking...
awesome :lol

siamesedreamer: Welcome to the Dark Brotherhood. Probably the best Quest Line in the game. :D You know you could also get rid of the Vampire Hunters without killing them, and not have to spend time in jail as well?

And as gblues said, you probably contracted Vampirism on the quest. Now you have to decide to live with it, or under go the quest to cure.

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
siamesedreamer: Welcome to the Dark Brotherhood. Probably the best Quest Line in the game.

Completely. And one of the best stories in ANY game. It's got everything that many of the other questlines in the game (and in most games) don't have from surprising plot twists to actual emotional attachment toward fellow guild members. And there's even some sad parts. :lol

Okay, here's a question: once we're cured of vampirism, we can contract it again, amirite? I was a vampire halfway through the game and did the cure quest, but now, a hundred hours later, I want to be a vampire again.

bengraven said:
Okay, here's a question: once we're cured of vampirism, we can contract it again, amirite? I was a vampire halfway through the game and did the cure quest, but now, a hundred hours later, I want to be a vampire again.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to contract it again. Just go find yourself a vampire. I was constantly wearing an amulet that gave me 100% protection from disease, and I still was able to contract it. :lol

gblues said:
I dunno, in Morrowind once you cured vampirism you couldn't ever catch it again.

Nathan

Really?? Hmm... maybe it works the same in Oblivion then. Perhaps it won't respawn the cure quest again, so they just make it so you don't contract it a second time. That would make some sense. It would also suck if you went through all the effort to get cured, only to contract it again right away. So, perhaps it's a one shot deal afterall.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Really?? Hmm... maybe it works the same in Oblivion then. Perhaps it won't respawn the cure quest again, so they just make it so you don't contract it a second time. That would make some sense. It would also suck if you went through all the effort to get cured, only to contract it again right away. So, perhaps it's a one shot deal afterall.
I just assumed that if you contracted it again, the lady that made the cure poition would just give you another. I thought she said at the end of the quest that we should look her up if we needed her help again, or something like that.

GhaleonEB said:
I just assumed that if you contracted it again, the lady that made the cure poition would just give you another. I thought she said at the end of the quest that we should look her up if we needed her help again, or something like that.

I haven't done the quest, as I've always cured myself ASAP when I've contracted the disease, but that would make sense as well. Someone needs to test this to be sure though. :D

How did you kill the vampire hunters without going to jail?

I spoke to them before I went off to the dungeon in an effort to get them to follow me there and help me out. But, only one showed up at the end when I had almost killed all the vampires. So, I killed him in the dungeon. I killed another guy waiting in a field away from the town. But, the leader and another guy would never leave their spots, so I just killed both of them while they were eating at the Two Sister's Lodge. That's when I went to jail.

Anyway, the hintbook says you can cure vampirism by going to the alter in any of the cathedrals in any town. I tried the one in Skingrad, but nothing said I was cured or whatever. Maybe I'll try a potion next. The quest to cure it has me
going back to Skingrad to talk to the count
. I would just become one, but the hintbook says you start taking damage during the day and fast travelling really takes a toll on you.

Also,
I want to buy a house to keep all my shit in and the only place I've been invited to do so is in Skingrad. But, the person I'm supposed to talk to is invisible or something and I can't talk to them. I look at the map and I'm standing right where they are and nobody is there. Anyone seen that before?

Suerte

siamesedreamer said:

I spoke to them before I went off to the dungeon in an effort to get them to follow me there and help me out. But, only one showed up at the end when I had almost killed all the vampires. So, I killed him in the dungeon. I killed another guy waiting in a field away from the town. But, the leader and another guy would never leave their spots, so I just killed both of them while they were eating at the Two Sister's Lodge. That's when I went to jail.

Anyway, the hintbook says you can cure vampirism by going to the alter in any of the cathedrals in any town. I tried the one in Skingrad, but nothing said I was cured or whatever. Maybe I'll try a potion next. The quest to cure it has me
. I would just become one, but the hintbook says you start taking damage during the day and fast travelling really takes a toll on you.

Also,
I want to buy a house to keep all my shit in and the only place I've been invited to do so is in Skingrad. But, the person I'm supposed to talk to is invisible or something and I can't talk to them. I look at the map and I'm standing right where they are and nobody is there. Anyone seen that before?

It might take a while, but eventually all of them come to the cave to kill the vampires, so you just kill them once they're done, that's what I did anyway.

gblues

Banned
siamesedreamer said:

Also,

While you are still only infected with "polymorphic hemophelia" you can cure at any temple. After you get the dream and the abilities, it's too late to use a cure disease/temple to get cured.

As far as the hunters, I just charmed the leader and asked him to leave, and they all left. No bloodshed necessary.

There's nothing spoilerrific about your house quest. The guy you're after probably committed suicide. Look for a dead orc under one of the overpasses.

Nathan

"How did you kill the vampire hunters without going to jail?"

There's no need to kill them.

I simply went to the cave first, cleared out the vampires, and then returned to the village.
Then I spoke with one of the vampire hunters, told him that there was no need to stay in town as the vampires were all taken care of, provided him with a little proof (vampire dust x 10), and they were on there way.

Quest completed.

Vark

thundersabre said:
"How did you kill the vampire hunters without going to jail?"

There's no need to kill them.

I simply went to the cave first, cleared out the vampires, and then returned to the village.
Then I spoke with one of the vampire hunters, told him that there was no need to stay in town as the vampires were all taken care of, provided him with a little proof (vampire dust x 10), and they were on there way.

Quest completed.

Meh thats no fun. I just tell the hunters where the vampires are, they go to the cave, I follow them in, and make sure they don't come out.

True... but I did my best to make sure that (in every quest i did) no one died except those that absolutely needed to be killed in order finish a quest. This ment A LOT of saving before events.

This was a much more difficult in the main quest line.

GhaleonEB

thundersabre said:
True... but I did my best to make sure that (in every quest i did) no one died except those that absolutely needed to be killed in order finish a quest. This ment A LOT of saving before events.

This was a much more difficult in the main quest line.
Bah, being moral is always harder. I always chose the path of most carnage. :D

I love that there is a choice in many of the quests.

Top Bottom