• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ilive1up said:
i walked into a cave, near the shrine of azura, and i definitely wasn't supposed to be in there.

i had to run through the whole thing, just to escape the enemies i had no chance of killing. fun times.

Are you talking about the Sightless Pit? That place is nuts.

zmoney said:
FOUR NEW BEAST RACES??????

Bethesda. take care of this.

Yeah, the Snow Demons of Kamal, the serpent-men of Tsaesci, the Monkey People of Tang Mo, and the Tiger Dragons of Ka'Po'Tun. No idea how intelligent the beast races are meant to be, but they have apparently tried to attack Tamriel multiple times.

-GOUKI-

Just killed a bunch of people in Windhelm. Ran out the city getting chased by the squire and 5 guards. I run into the giants. They start fighting. Then a dragon comes down and starts attacking everyone.

EPIC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NullPointer said:
Skyrim is God in game form. And this is from someone who didn't like Oblivion but loved Fallout 3.

They fixed my every gripe with Oblivion, included changes and improvements from Fallout 3, and even seem to have taken some inspiration from Bioshock and Red Dead Redemption. This is the best open world ever and just may end up toppling Red Dead Redemption for my GOTF.

So much for doing work this weekend ;p

Yeah, I'm flat out captivated by this game right now. I had some reservations, but fuck, this game is just incredible. The gods must be on my side because I unexpectedly got a week off from work, and you can bet your ass that most of it will be spent playing this game.

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, the Snow Demons of Kamal, the serpent-men of Tsaesci, the Monkey People of Tang Mo, and the Tiger Dragons of Ka'Po'Tun. No idea how intelligent the beast races are meant to be, but they have apparently tried to attack Tamriel multiple times.
Only the Tsaeci invaded Tamriel, and they were pushed back. The Blades based their weaponry and armor on Tsaeci culture, mostly because one of the Tsaeci ended up ruling Tamriel for a long while during the First Era.

The Snow Demons are frozen most of the time, the Monkeys just try and survive and the Tiger Dragons want to wipe out everything on the world.

The Sload would make a more probably new beast race, but I don't see 'em getting added in either.

That said, having the expansion take place on Thras would be pretty awesome.

MacBosse

6 hours in ... going Archer Nord. This game is really, really good.

Surface scratched. Skyrim is large.

Hype answered. Nerd awakened.

No time to write more.

Pollux

So I'm supposed to be playing hide and seek with a ghost child...in Morthal....anybody know where she usually hides? I can't find her at all.

Enco

20 hours logged. Yikes.

It's really annoying how NPCs have mood swings/non fluent talking. Kinda destroys the atmosphere bit.

ezekial45 said:
I have two negative effects stuck on me. Rockjoint (25% less effectiveness with melee weapons) and Ataxia (Pickpocketing and Lockpicking are 25% more difficult.

How do i get rid of them? I had no idea I was even affected by these. The game doesn't really do a good job of notifying you of these issues.

I second this, I only have 6.5 hours played and my character has Rockjoint. No idea how I got it, no idea how to get rid of it. I thought it was perhaps some kind of race attribute but some NPC's comment about my character looking sick.

NBtoaster

The description some khajiit give of elsweyr make it sound like a good setting for the next game. The environments havent been done before (jungle and desert), and we've never been to the home of a beast race.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if you're the Thane of Whiterun and you get caught pick pocketing, does nothing happen? I just stole all the gold I spent on smithing training back from Eorlund, and he said, "I guess I can look the other way this time." and walked away. No fine, no nothing. Is that how it's supposed to be?

zmoney said:
So I'm supposed to be playing hide and seek with a ghost child...in Morthal....anybody know where she usually hides? I can't find her at all.

Go a little bit behind the burnt house and you will see a dug up coffin and a vampire chick.

MrCompletely said:
I second this, I only have 6.5 hours played and my character has Rockjoint. No idea how I got it, no idea how to get rid of it. I thought it was perhaps some kind of race attribute but some NPC's comment about my character looking sick.
Have you tried going to one of the churches and getting blessed ?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MrCompletely said:
The shrine in Whiterun can definitely take care of those.

I hope it can also cure my mystery debuff of One-Handed skills. No disease or active effects listed for it. :/

Tenck

MrCompletely said:

Trying to find out how to get rid of the pickpocketing disease. Do I go to a temple?

d1rtn4p

Killed a dragon
cause he accidentally hit a mammoth with his fire breath. The mammoth plowed him over in three shots.

I have a general question though. Is there a place that explains all the factions/wars and stuff like that? I'm having a hard time finding out whose side who is on.

NBtoaster

MrCompletely said:

They are diseases you can catch from animal combat. Find a cure disease potion, or visit a wayshrine or temple (eg the temple of kynarith in whiterun).

I had a frost dragon appear near Whiterun. The thing succeeded in killing a giant and a mammoth before I managed to take it down.

Find stronger dragons, guys. :lol

Tenck said:
Trying to find out how to get rid of the pickpocketing disease. Do I go to a temple?
It's really simple. Either buy a Cure Disease potion in an alchemy shop (heck, buy a couple, they always come in handy) or go to a temple and worship at the shrine there.

Salaadin

If I buy a house and store items in its chest, are they always there?
I got burned by this in Oblvion once..thinking I owned something when I technically didnt and lost a bunch of stuff.

LifEndz

I'm playing as a wood elf and I have a question about the command animal power. I've used it on different animals but all they do is stand in one place. They don't follow me or allow any button prompts to issue commands. Am I doing it wrong?

Vlodril

Hey i have a problem with the
warewolves quest in the companions chain. i turned into one freed the leader from his when he died but a)i cant change into one (read something about a ring i dont have any) and b) i progressed the chain but didnt get the option to revert back to normal. So am i stuck?

nicoga3000 said:
So if you're the Thane of Whiterun and you get caught pick pocketing, does nothing happen? I just stole all the gold I spent on smithing training back from Eorlund, and he said, "I guess I can look the other way this time." and walked away. No fine, no nothing. Is that how it's supposed to be?
Yup, he told me he can only look away so many times, I wonder what the limit is before being a Thane doesn't help anymore.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
Can you not sell custom potions? I've got a ton of useless ones I crafted to work on my alchemy skill, but they don't appear as options to sell, even at alchemist shops. Just the handful of off-the-shelf potions I've found.
Anyone know this? I'm sitting on around 40 potions, but only six show up when I try to sell them.

moop1167

Anyone have a problem in character selection where the Khajiit's face models are transparent? All of the other races are solid, but I can see through the faces of the Khajiits. Is that supposed to happen?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ah shit, the ending to A Night to Remember was awesome. Very cool quest, but one question:
whatever happened to the marriage proposal? I blew 2000 gold to pay that woman for the ring, but nothing came of it.

bengraven

My god, there are some areas that will FUCK you up in this game!

I also need to figure out where I stand. While I'm going mostly light armor, I'm kind of getting my ass kicked...I'm not really a stealthy sort of character as much as I'd like to be. Maybe I'll go heavy.

benzy said:
The Forsworn armor seems to be the skankiest.

ai40b0z.jpg

Must get.

Bootaaay said:

The Tiger Dragons are intelligent

The Tsaesci are intelligent too and once ruled the Empire after Reman was killed. the blades came from Tsaesci ideas.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
upJTboogie said:
Yup, he told me he can only look away so many times, I wonder what the limit is before being a Thane doesn't help anymore.

I'll push my luck until I get caught. Easy ass training right there.

moop1167

moop1167 said:
Anyone have a problem in character selection where the Khajiit's face models are transparent? All of the other races are solid, but I can see through the faces of the Khajiits. Is that supposed to happen?

Anyone have any ideas? Sorry, looking for a quick answer since I am about to dive in. PC version.

bengraven said:
My god, there are some areas that will FUCK you up in this game!

I also need to figure out where I stand. While I'm going mostly light armor, I'm kind of getting my ass kicked...I'm not really a stealthy sort of character as much as I'd like to be. Maybe I'll go heavy.

Must get.

Man and i'm doing a light armor build for the stamina regen bonus. Is that a bad idea?

Snuggler said:
Ah shit, the ending to A Night to Remember was awesome. Very cool quest, but one question:
whatever happened to the marriage proposal? I blew 2000 gold to pay that woman for the ring, but nothing came of it.
Well, if you went and
looked for the ring, you'd find your fiancée at an abandoned house near Kynesgrove. She's a hagraven. When you ask for your ring back, she gets pissed and attacks you.

GhaleonEB said:
Anyone know this? I'm sitting on around 40 potions, but only six show up when I try to sell them.
I could always sell mine, weird that you can't. :/

LCfiner

Fahrenheit said:
I'm going one handed with magic. Should I go down the Axe skills or Sword skills?

I don't think it makes too much of a difference. I think sword are faster but you may prefer the axe perk (bleeding damage) vs the sword perk (more crits)

edit. i was cycyling between maces, axes and swords but have now stuck with swords due to some specific loot I got recently.

Hugs

I've got a question about the Talos blessing. You get 0% decrease in Shout cooldown. How does one make this an actual worthwhile blessing?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blue Ninja said:
Well, if you went and
looked for the ring, you'd find your fiancée at an abandoned house near Kynesgrove. She's a hagraven. When you ask for your ring back, she gets pissed and attacks you.

Cool, I wonder if I can still find her after the quest. I can't seem to find Kynesgrove, where is it on the world map?

bengraven

Fahrenheit said:
Man and i'm doing a light armor build for the stamina regen bonus. Is that a bad idea?

No necessarily. Everyone plays slightly different. I was doing it because I wanted to DW, but as things start to heat up I'm thinking I might become a tougher battle mage with a sheild and axe.

moop1167 said:
Anyone have any ideas? Sorry, looking for a quick answer since I am about to dive in. PC version.
That definitely doesn't sound normal. Have you tried rebooting? Should just be a bug.

icarus-daedelus said:
How is the level design in this? Love first-person RPGs, but that's kind of a dealbreaker for me.
Design of the world is amazing.

Design of the dungeons is pretty good too, but not all that different quality wise from Oblivion. Though the dungeons are more varied this time around, I'd say.

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I'm flat out captivated by this game right now. I had some reservations, but fuck, this game is just incredible. The gods must be on my side because I unexpectedly got a week off from work, and you can bet your ass that most of it will be spent playing this game.
You lucked out. I have crazy deadlines and if I had any rational sense I wouldn't have bought this game. But I honestly didn't expect it to be this good.

I'm the type of player who will just wake up at dawn and head, I dunno, west. Sounds good. I'll roam the wilds, get my bearings, learn where the animals roam and do some hunting. Only now I can bring those furs and skins back to the tanning area in town and form leather and leather strips for crafting. And holy shit I can bring the meat back home to my firepit and cook up some buffs, not to mention crafting jewelry to sell. That is when I'm not secluded in my alchemy chamber mixing and matching ingredients to create potions and poisons. And I haven't even touched Enchanting yet.

This is the kind of game that I get utterly lost in. Whether its clearing a mine of bandits and then taking the place as my home, or lurking in cities casing the area for the best homes and storefronts to rob, or just, like I said before, heading out in some random direction laden with as few supplies as possible and seeing what'll happen.

And with so many triple-A games reducing player choice in the name of cinematic scenes, its nice to see a title that holds player choice and exploration paramount, and pull it off so damn well. Cinematic moments? I've had several dozen of those already, along with all the tiny touches and moments that keep you wanting more.

Yeah. Good times.

/gush

Aesius

Being unemployed for the last 3 weeks has sucked ass, but my hopes of finding a job have been completely fucked by this game. I wake up when my g/f leaves for work and vow to only play for a few hours, but next thing I know it's 5 p.m. and she's walking in the door and I haven't sent a single resume out. :(

BadTaste

None of my armour is enchanted, only made better through Blacksmithing. Do I have to learn Enchanting myself or can I find an enchanter to do it for me?

Also I've been looking for an enchanting table for ages now but haven't found one.

Varna

NullPointer said:
Skyrim is God in game form. And this is from someone who didn't like Oblivion but loved Fallout 3.

They fixed my every gripe with Oblivion, included changes and improvements from Fallout 3, and even seem to have taken some inspiration from Bioshock and Red Dead Redemption. This is the best open world ever and just may end up toppling Red Dead Redemption for my GOTF.

So much for doing work this weekend ;p

I feel like something is wrong with me when I read things like this (and there is a ton of praise like this). I thought Oblivion was just OK and Fallout 3 was a big improvement. On paper this is the kind of game I love getting into... but it's just not happening.

The way they handled the PC interface and lack of proper hotkey is just insulting and all the odd frame-rate drops on great machines is really disheartening. Combat just feels so bland too, there is no feedback at all. I can't tell if I connect or miss... I wish people would look towards Dark Messiah when designing first person meele combat.

Ran into a ton of crashing problems so I'm reinstalling right now. I'm determined to enjoy this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom