• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salaadin said:
So do dragons ever attack the main cities that you have to zone into...places like Whiterun, Solitude, etc?
Ive seen them attack the little patch towns and stuff scattered about but none in the main cities yet.
They definitely do. I had an attack in Solitude.

Seth C

Amneisac said:
Problem is you have to find the materials, you can't just make that stuff because you have the level.
Well no, but if your smithing is high enough you could take a few potions and double the armor value of just about anything to make it plenty powerful.

Evolved1 said:
They really need a post creation character editor... it's such a pain the the fucking ass to make character in this game due to the forced intro sequence that you cannot skip.

I have a save game for just before the character creation because of this. There is still some stuff you can't skip - but it beats starting from the absolute beginning.

Arjen

Salaadin said:
So do dragons ever attack the main cities that you have to zone into...places like Whiterun, Solitude, etc?
Ive seen them attack the little patch towns and stuff scattered about but none in the main cities yet.

I had a dragon attack Whiterun, pretty awesome, bunch of townfolk were in the battle, he came down pretty quik.

Mindman

So today I tried to equip a ring, only to find out it won't equip. I can hear the equip sound in the menu, but it never equips. I cannot equip ANY ring at all for that matter. Necklaces and stuff are fine. Is this a bug, or something to do with my character..?? Any have any idea??

Salaadin said:
Yeah. One of them attacked Solitude while I was in the city itself.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Moofers said:
^^ Just pay a guard. Its probably only 40 gold anyway. Same thing happened to me, but I got in trouble because some dumb asshole got in between me and a fucking dragon that had invaded town. Nevermind that I put the goddamn thing down and saved everybody, lets just focus on the fact that I shouted and some fool got in the way because they thought they'd do a better job with no armor and a basic dagger.
Really looking forward to a no friendly fire mod. I take things head on, so in tunnels Marcurio like to miss and shoot me in the back with lightning. Lydia used to do the same with arrows.

scy

MustacheBandit_ said:
Exploiting a glitch and you are bummed that it resulted in messing up the game experience? Smh...

Considering this is literally the only way for the Cutpurse perk to ever kick in, I'd have to imagine it's intentional.

As an aside, I toyed around with the Enchanting/Alchemy/Smithing triumverate of broken and ... hm. I don't know. I expected more, I guess? The upgrade from not abusing it to abusing it, barring the Smithing part, isn't that big; you don't loop it around endlessly, just one extra time around (23% -> 26% -> 29%).

As far as Enchanting is concerned, it feels intentional since you're looking at just BARELY being able to shave off one entire equipment slot of enchanting to max out certain things (i.e., -100% Magicka cost takes 5 slots normally, 4 with the full setup or Resists cap out after two slots, not three). Smithing just gets two bonuses of ridiculous but, really, Smithing already was pretty ridiculous :/

Arjen said:
I had a dragon attack Whiterun, pretty awesome, bunch of townfolk were in the battle, he came down pretty quik.

I think I've had five Dragons attack Winterhold. What the hell did they do to piss off the Dragons?!

Oddly, only two dead Guards out of all the attacks.

Helmholtz

Hari Seldon said:
I'm not really liking this game as much as most other people here it seems. The graphics are just OK (I'm on PC on High). I can live with that, however what I can't live with is the fucking terrible combat and animation. They have barely improved on this, when other RPGs made huge improvements (Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2). I understand that the appeal of the game is the open world RPGing, but I find myself at about 5 hours into the game and getting the feeling that I am not going to finish it. I think Witcher 2 is the superior game, if not RPG.
Interesting. I finished Witcher 2 a few months ago, and I didn't find its combat to be particularly compelling. I actually think it might have been something of a step back from the first game. If you compare skyrim's combat and animation to oblivion's, it's insane how much better it is. I honestly think it can be described as 'good' now. Graphics look great to me on ultra; of course they're not as good as Witcher 2's, that game has possibly the best graphics in any game yet. The Witcher 2's world is also far less open and expansive.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion...I just find myself disagreeing with a lot of it. I LOVED Witcher 2, but I've been absolutely floored by Skyrim. There's just so much to do, and almost all of what I've seen so far (20 hours in) has been great. I'd recommend you stick with it a bit longer.

angelfly

This is annoying :( I was told the at the thieves guild that they handle bounties but nobody there actually does and theres no option with the guards. If it needs a perk then that makes it a useless addition to the thieves guild. Looks like I'll have to stash the stolen goods in the house and then just pay up.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Haha... spend 20 mins recreating orc character only to have the game freeze during the intro. Lose all data.

Argh! lol fuck.

edit: oh man thank god, it autosaved... haha

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
angelfly said:
This is annoying :( I was told the at the thieves guild that they handle bounties but nobody there actually does and theres no option with the guards. If it needs a perk then that makes it a useless addition to the thieves guild.
You need to have a presence in the town to be able to buy the guards off.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Salaadin said:

Dragons utterly loathe Riften in my game. Nearly every time I drop by one swoops down to say hello.

Dice said:
I think things swing at you well enough, they just need to learn how to make things look like they have weight. Animals especially look like they're floating/gliding an inch over the surface with locomotion legs. Combined with the canned responses to blows, it does give off a very PS1 sort of vibe, but those canned responses would be far more tolerable if things had weight to them, which might be a limitation of the engine more than the skill of the animators.

I dunno I think the animations all look really good when everything is at a proper angle. The big problem is sometimes the angles just go crazy like when you have a npc just randomly stuck in so he starts walking in place or you get mammoth stuck on rocks he can't really walk on so he just starts spinning in circles. Seems like the AI and how it deals with such a big and diverse world is the bigger problem but I doubt there is an easy fix for that. No one else is making games with this amount of size and interactive detail other than Obsidian using their engine, so I'm not so quick to think they just fail at animation anyone else could do easily.

To make truly realistic animations you would need dozens or hundreds of animations for each npc and creature and then an AI good enough to know when to use each one and you need that AI to be able to run fast enough on top of everything else that is going on in the game.

angelfly said:
This is annoying :( I was told the at the thieves guild that they handle bounties but nobody there actually does and theres no option with the guards. If it needs a perk then that makes it a useless addition to the thieves guild. Looks like I'll have to stash the stolen goods in the house and then just pay up.
The perk is to be able to bribe guards into forgetting your crime. Not sure about the thieves guild, are you a part of it?

kevm3

There seriously needs to be some kind of slider to lower dragon encounters. It's getting to the point where they are ruining my enjoyment of the game. I've already killed at least 12. It's starting to get obnoxious that once I leave a cave or I'm just trying to explore, there' some dragon hovering around.

angelfly

Ikuu said:
You need to have a presence in the town to be able to buy the guards off.
Happened in Solitude where I've completed the Imperial quest line and satisfied the Jarl enough to allow me to purchase property.

Moofers

Hari Seldon said:
I'm not really liking this game as much as most other people here it seems. The graphics are just OK (I'm on PC on High). I can live with that, however what I can't live with is the fucking terrible combat and animation. They have barely improved on this, when other RPGs made huge improvements (Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2). I understand that the appeal of the game is the open world RPGing, but I find myself at about 5 hours into the game and getting the feeling that I am not going to finish it. I think Witcher 2 is the superior game, if not RPG.

When I started the game, I almost felt cheated because the game had been so hyped up and all the media outlets had been singing very high praise for the game. The game I got had bad animation, combat that seemed hardly improved at all over Oblivion's, and tons of random bugs and glitches. In fact, the whole thing just felt like Oblivion 1.5 to me and I was pretty disappointed in everyone who had led me to believe this was a big step forward not only for the series, but for WRPG's in general.

20 hours in now, I'm still feeling like its Oblivion 1.5 under the hood, but I've accepted that and am enjoying the game for what it is. The Companions questline really made the game interesting and fun for me, and now I'm having a hard time putting the game down. Overall I'm happy with the game, but all the hyperbole and jizzing over this game is just another reminder of why I don't give a shit about reviews anymore. Stuff that they crucified Dead Island for gets completely overlooked here and why? "Because its Elder Scrolls! Jizz!"

*shrugs* whatever, I guess.

kevm3 said:
There seriously needs to be some kind of slider to lower dragon encounters. It's getting to the point where they are ruining my enjoyment of the game. I've already killed at least 12. It's starting to get obnoxious that once I leave a cave or I'm just trying to explore, there' some dragon hovering around.

Yeah, they are the new Oblivion gates. I just started running from them when I'm already focused on doing something else.

Salaadin said:

Yep I had an attack in riften.

Grisby

Wow, having your first random Dragon attack was exhilarating. Also a bit scary since it was at night.

And a troll was there.

angelfly said:
Happened in Solitude where I've completed the Imperial quest line and satisfied the Jarl enough to allow me to purchase property.
He means as a part of the thieves guild. Pretty sure you have to be in the thieves guild and have completed enough quests for them to have a presence in the city you have a bounty before you can pay them off.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Moofers said:
When I started the game, I almost felt cheated because the game had been so hyped up and all the media outlets had been singing very high praise for the game. The game I got had bad animation, combat that seemed hardly improved at all over Oblivion's, and tons of random bugs and glitches. In fact, the whole thing just felt like Oblivion 1.5 to me and I was pretty disappointed in everyone who had led me to believe this was a big step forward not only for the series, but for WRPG's in general.

20 hours in now, I'm still feeling like its Oblivion 1.5 under the hood, but I've accepted that and am enjoying the game for what it is. The Companions questline really made the game interesting and fun for me, and now I'm having a hard time putting the game down. Overall I'm happy with the game, but all the hyperbole and jizzing over this game is just another reminder of why I don't give a shit about reviews anymore. Stuff that they crucified Dead Island for gets completely overlooked here and why? "Because its Elder Scrolls! Jizz!"

*shrugs* whatever, I guess.

They have no competition... this is the main problem.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How rare are dragons? Haven't seen one yet except the main story(?) one that attack a tower west of Whiterun. I've done plenty of quests so far, but still im only lvl 11. Is it because i'm still low lvl that they are nowhere to be seen?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Only thing this game is really missing IMO would be to have races start in different places (at least some of them), and have people react differently to different races, or have factions. A big murder-machine-looking Orc walking into a house in a village of humans would likely make everyone think they are going to be pillaged:p Kids should freak out in the presence of lizard-men, etc.

You could easily have some races aligned with one another, and split them in factions like WoW. I think it would add a nice dimension to the game.

Treemonkeys said:
Yeah, they are the new Oblivion gates. I just started running from them when I'm already focused on doing something else.
Dragons won't spawn into the world if you don't finish the quest "Dragon Rising" in Whiterun.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I like how you can just take all sorts of shit the more people in an area like you. It gets pretty ridiculous sometimes, with greater soul gems and whatnot. Seeing "Steal" hovering over every item gives me the unwelcome-vibe more than any cold initial conversations I have with people.

angelfly

TheNiX said:
He means as a part of the thieves guild. Pretty sure you have to be in the thieves guild and have completed enough quests for them to have a presence in the city you have a bounty before you can pay them off.
Ah makes sense now since I've only done the main guild stuff and haven't done any of the extra jobs.

Bisnic said:
How rare are dragons? Haven't seen one yet except the main story(?) one that attack a tower west of Whiterun. I've done plenty of quests so far, but still im only lvl 11. Is it because i'm still low lvl that they are nowhere to be seen?

If you follow the greybeard quest line you'll find more.

Seth C

Anteater said:
My dragon scales armor (light armor) only took 2 hits from the dude :(
I'm not sure what I did wrong though, I could take hits fine from some enemies, but some would just one shot me with 1 attack.
Have you improved it? My dragon scale armor has a rating of 128.

Evolved1 said:
They have no competition... this is the main problem.

But is that because no one is trying or because they are just doing it the best?

I mean there are more "open world" games now than ever, just none of them really come close to the amount of interaction and detail.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
MustacheBandit_ said:
if he is speaking of the trainer pickpocket glitch I am aware of, it clearly isn't an intended feature this a glitch he is abusing. anyhow, who am i to tell you how to enjoy your game?
Still not seeing how this is a glitch at all.

Seth C

Salaadin said:
I've been attacked inside whiterun at least twice.

Deified Data said:
Okay, just did some research.

Apparently, she drops into her invincible kneeling state when she's about to die, but not quite dead. She then regenerates HP until she can get back up again. However, she can still be killed if there is a persistent timed effect on her, like Falmer poison. They can die, but you just have to put them up against enemies with poison.
No all companions can be killed if they are continually attacked while down, doesn't have to be poison.

Bisnic said:

I think that once you complete the first story line battle with the dragon then they become 'unlocked'. If you've just recently completed the dragon quest then you should run into some dragons while exploring around. I didn't do that quest until about level 15, never ran into a single random dragon. After the quest they started appearing all over the place.

kevm3

Treemonkeys said:

I'm some kind of dragon magnet. There was even a point where I had to fight 2 dragons, back to back.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What the heck is the point of being a Thane if I still have to pay off my bounties?

It let me the first time say I'm a thane and run off, since I've had 4-5 times when I accidentally do something I'm not and a guard comes and my only options are to pay him off, fight, or accept jail. :(

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Salaadin said:
Who can blame them? That place is a dump.

I can't say I disagree!

Bisnic said:

They're everywhere in my game, once I 'unlocked' them. I joked earlier in the thread that they're nearly as frequently encountered as bears. They started breeding like rabbits, I guess.

Hari Seldon

Helmholtz said:
Interesting. I finished Witcher 2 a few months ago, and I didn't find its combat to be particularly compelling. I actually think it might have been something of a step back from the first game. If you compare skyrim's combat and animation to oblivion's, it's insane how much better it is. I honestly think it can be described as 'good' now. Graphics look great to me on ultra; of course they're not as good as Witcher 2's, that game has possibly the best graphics in any game yet. The Witcher 2's world is also far less open and expansive.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion...I just find myself disagreeing with a lot of it. I LOVED Witcher 2, but I've been absolutely floored by Skyrim. There's just so much to do, and almost all of what I've seen so far (20 hours in) has been great. I'd recommend you stick with it a bit longer.

Yeah I am going to stick with it. I definitely dig the open world exploration part of the game. I guess you can't have everything. I'm still very early in the game though.

scy

MWS Natural said:
No all companions can be killed if they are continually attacked while down, doesn't have to be poison.

They're invincible to all forms of direct and indirect damage when kneeling from enemies. Exceptions being Lingering Damage effects on them prior to them kneeling and any damage you do. I spent a good hour or so having Lydia take nothing but Dragon breaths to the face when kneeling to no effect but later tests with poisoned weapons (e.g., Falmers), however, ticked away even after she kneels until she died.

Literally no direct attacks (targeted spells, melee attacks, whatever) or indirect attacks (area of effect from spells, persistent effects like the Spell Cloaks) will harm them from an enemy source. Any ally source will hurt them, however, and any Lingering Damage effect will continue to persist even in their otherwise godlike immunity kneel.

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
Interesting. It's just like the Oblivion gates.
I had that thought as well. People are talking about the event at the opening town the same way they did about the town with the first gate in it in Oblivion.

I like that I have the luxury of fully ignoring the main quest. Still no dragons in my world. Saving'em for character #2.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Blood dragons are starting to show up and they are whipping my ass. Way way tougher than first batch of dragons. I exited a bandit cave to the sight of one throwing down against a giant and two big frost spiders. It killed the spiders... had the giant down to about 3/4 health, then came over and killed my horse, KOd my companion, and proceeded to one shot me where it snatched me in its mouth then flipped me up into the freakin atmosphere. It took like about 5 or 6 tries to finally take it down.

grendelrt

scy said:
They're invincible to all forms of direct and indirect damage when kneeling from enemies. Exceptions being Lingering Damage effects on them prior to them kneeling and any damage you do. I spent a good hour or so having Lydia take nothing but Dragon breaths to the face when kneeling to no effect but later tests with poisoned weapons (e.g., Falmers), however, ticked away even after she kneels until she died.

Literally no direct attacks (targeted spells, melee attacks, whatever) or indirect attacks (area of effect from spells, persistent effects like the Spell Cloaks) will harm them from an enemy source. Any ally source will hurt them, however, and any Lingering Damage effect will continue to persist even in their otherwise godlike immunity kneel.

2036_1319799549.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom