• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mister_Bubbles said:
And so it begins...

This was the best thing to happen to me so far in Skyrim. The other end of the map, no Lydia to carry my shit / tank my foes, barely any money, a new city to explore that's vastly different to Whiterun and that sparked off some great quests... Friggin' loved it.

Getting back to Whiterun ended up taking me about 15 hours :lol

I used a console command to increase my carrying capacity to 2500, so I've been looting and selling virtually everything I've laid eyes upon. ;)

Edit: That said, I haven't made as much money as you might think. Not yet, anyway.

Hari Seldon

I'm not really liking this game as much as most other people here it seems. The graphics are just OK (I'm on PC on High). I can live with that, however what I can't live with is the fucking terrible combat and animation. They have barely improved on this, when other RPGs made huge improvements (Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2). I understand that the appeal of the game is the open world RPGing, but I find myself at about 5 hours into the game and getting the feeling that I am not going to finish it. I think Witcher 2 is the superior game, if not RPG.

Arjen

batmandarkknight said:
quick question, guys. should i buy spell tomes or are some loot-able? i dont like spending money when its not really needed. hahaha

i kinda wanna buy bound sword. :p

I found a ton of spells in dungeons.

Izuna

Banned
I've found a set of new armour which is the
blades kit
. The mage at Whiterun has a bunch of Grand Soul Gems for me to buy, and I'm thinking about upgrading the whole set with Stamina boosts.

My problem is though, what would I call it? I can't come up with anything witty this time.

batmandarkknight said:
quick question, guys. should i buy spell tomes or are some loot-able? i dont like spending money when its not really needed. hahaha

I've found several tomes while just wandering around exploring dungeons and doing quests, but it is hard to predict when you'll come across them. I've purchased a number of spells just to open up the arsenal and add more versatility to my character.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Hari Seldon said:
I'm not really liking this game as much as most other people here it seems. The graphics are just OK (I'm on PC on High). I can live with that, however what I can't live with is the fucking terrible combat and animation. They have barely improved on this, when other RPGs made huge improvements (Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2). I understand that the appeal of the game is the open world RPGing, but I find myself at about 5 hours into the game and getting the feeling that I am not going to finish it. I think Witcher 2 is the superior game, if not RPG.

they improved animations drastically but going from "utterly horrible" to "almost bad" is still not enough. They need to work on transitions and hit reactions.

I thought there was only one giant around for some reason...

aa53ca89f6f4702adf2b332c4acc360903359d83.jpg

Then i realized my folly

edit: just realized this is going to hit OT2 today

webrunner

Questions about followers/houses:

IF you have two houses, how does it tell which house to go to?

If you have two houses, and can get two followers, does the second one go to the second house?

If so, if you have one house and two followers do they both go back to one house (like the Lucky 38) or do they go back to their own place?

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've found several tomes while just wandering around exploring dungeons and doing quests, but it is hard to predict when you'll come across them. I've purchased a number of spells just to open up the arsenal and add more versatility to my character.

It's wierd when you find Spell Tome: Flames or Spell Tome: Healing since you start the game with these. You can't use them to teach to your companions, they're just.. useless except to sell.

AEREC

JaseC said:
I used a console command to increase my carrying capacity to 2500, so I've been looting and selling virtually everything I've laid eyes upon. ;)

Edit: That said, I haven't made as much money as you might think. Not yet, anyway.

I realize it's a singleplayer game and people can play the game as they want, but does this not ruin it for you?

Also aren't acheivements disabled if you do this?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
webrunner said:
Questions about followers/houses:

IF you have two houses, how does it tell which house to go to?

If you have two houses, and can get two followers, does the second one go to the second house?

If so, if you have one house and two followers do they both go back to one house (like the Lucky 38) or do they go back to their own place?

When you buy a house a body guard get assigned to it (actually you get it for doing missions for the city but they stay in the house when you get it). The random people you help that turn into followers just stay in the area where you fount them, if not sure they will tell you were to go and get them when you dismiss them.

webrunner said:
It's wierd when you find Spell Tome: Flames or Spell Tome: Healing since you start the game with these. You can't use them to teach to your companions, they're just.. useless except to sell.

I don't think all races start with the same spells. My Wood Elf Thief/Assassin didn't have a healing spell I don't believe.

webrunner

Warnen said:
When you buy a house a body guard get assigned to it (actually you get it for doing missions for the city but they stay in the house when you get it). The random people you help that turn into followers just stay in the area where you fount them, if not sure they will tell you were to go and get them when you dismiss them.

So, housecarls go to that house's other bedroom?
Your spouse goes either to their original home or one of yours?
Everyone else just goes back where they came from?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
AEREC said:
Looks like
Blades
Armor.
I gotta get on that shit. Cooler than Ebony and Daedric to me. You can improve it with smithing skills, right? If you can, it doesn't matter what "class" it is, it'll be good enough for my beast of a character.

Grinchy

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
I'm not sure where I'm at with it either. I'm enjoying it for sure. I really like using magic compared to Oblivion and Morrowind, but I can't exactly say I'm adoring the game overall. It's good, and it's an ES game. It's exactly what an ES fan would want IMO. It's just that after playing a ton of FO3 and NV, maybe I'm a little burnt out on the formula.

Perhaps I should have waited before buying it. Then again, I'm sure I'll play it for hours today and find things I really like. It's just weird that Skyrim hasn't given me an initial feeling of, "Holy shit this game is amazing!!" that most other people had.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Juancho9 said:
The Orphanage in Riften....
stabbed the mean old lady in front of the kids expecting a bounty, but instead the kids just cheered

:D :D :D :D
I killed her too as soon as I arrived at the place. Couldn't let that shit go on.
You're gonna wanna talk to that Aventius kid in Windhelm after this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AEREC said:
I realize it's a singleplayer game and people can play the game as they want, but does this not ruin it for you?

Also aren't acheivements disabled if you do this?

No, because I was growing tired of becoming overburdened after picking up five pieces of armour (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point). Also, achievements aren't disabled as a result of increasing the carrying capacity of your character.

If achievements are disabled by the use of console commands, I would assume this doesn't kick in until you use one corresponding to a variable that itself is tied to achievements (e.g. there are achievements for reaching certain character level milestones and the console command player.setlevel can be used to level up your character).

batmandarkknight said:

I found like half a dozen spell tomes within the first 2 hours of gameplay, so, yeah... you can definitely loot at least some of them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How do difficulty levels in this game work? I am at the default now but am thinking of kicking it up as long as it's not laughably broken and horrible like Fallout 3's.

AEREC

Hari Seldon said:

I can understand why some people would prefer the Witcher more based on the combat, Witcher 2 is more of an action game where the combat follows a strict set of rules and is way more balanced that Elder Scrolls.

I enjoy the Elder Scrolls combat for what it is and there's definitely a lot more randomness involved in it, and is not as stat driven as most other RPGs. The feel of the combat is much improved over Oblivion as well but still no where near an action game.

As far as atmosphere and the world goes, Skyrim is easily the better for me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Scullibundo said:
I'll have to revisit. I encountered two ghosts and then found the exit shortly after that lead to the edge of a waterfall. Didn't really check to see if the prison went any deeper.

Definitely go back to the Abandoned Prison and look around further. It's pretty cool!

hint:
you need to find a key to go further in, just look around :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They really need a post creation character editor... it's such a pain the the fucking ass to make character in this game due to the forced intro sequence that you cannot skip.

I make an Orc. He is awesome looking. Play for a few hours, craft some steel gear... cool steel helm that looks frigging sweeee.... hey wtf his nose is clipping through the front of it. :/

My khajiit is awesome too but his hair clips through almost every helm/hood. And not just a little bit, it's obnoxiously bad. So I basically play the game w/o a helm since I use TPV a lot while exploring/not in direct combat.

I realize clipping in a game like this is just going to happen. No way around it. But, hey... if we could edit our fucking characters this problem could be lessened.

Also... 90% of the animation in this game is still terribad. Keep trying Beth, it's leagues better than Oblivion but you still trail behind almost every other dev on Earth, including those producing shovelware.

That said, this game has owned my life since release day.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I think I really screwed up by abusing the trainer/pickpocket thing early on, and getting all the way to the mid 20s before even visiting any other main towns besides Whiterun. Not going to start over though; think I'll just tone down combat difficulty for now.

Evolved1 said:
They really need a post creation character editor... it's such a pain the the fucking ass to make character in this game due to the forced intro sequence that you cannot skip.

I make an Orc. He is awesome looking. Play for a few hours, craft some steel gear... cool steel helm that looks frigging sweeee.... hey wtf his nose is clipping through the front of it. :/

My khajiit is awesome too but his hair clips through almost every helm/hood. And not just a little bit, it's obnoxiously bad. So I basically play the game w/o a helm since I use TPV a lot while exploring/not in direct combat.

I realize clipping in a game like this is just going to happen. No way around it. But, hey... if we could edit our fucking characters this problem could be lessened.

Also... 90% of the animation in this game is still terribad. Keep trying Beth, it's leagues better than Oblivion but you still trail behind almost every other dev on Earth, including those producing shovelware.

That said, this game has owned my life since release day.

Console version?

The clipping can get really bad though, I don't understand why this is still an issue in games personally.

DarthWoo said:
I think I really screwed up by abusing the trainer/pickpocket thing early on, and getting all the way to the mid 20s before even visiting any other main towns besides Whiterun. Not going to start over though; think I'll just tone down combat difficulty for now.

Exploiting a glitch and you are bummed that it resulted in messing up the game experience? Smh...

Woo-Fu said:
Some do. It isn't as noticeable though, I think in part because in many cases the mob and or encounter changes.

Example: instead of getting a draug with buffed armor/hp, you get a new draug class. Restless Draug>>>>Draug Deathlord (I skipped a few steps in there), and they don't just change the mobs in place, the encounters "upgrade" too. Instead of there being just a wimpy draug or two there'll be 5 or 6 of the bastards, including the higher level ones.

Don't know about draugs. I entered a random fortress (the lower-eastern one) at level 20 and it was way over my level. Got a lot of high level draugs that I've never seen before, and it was very difficult to finish that dungeon.

A friend told me that he tried the same dungeon at level 10 and he was destroyed by the same draugs, so he returned at level 40 and killed them all without problems.

There are slight mob scaling in the thiefs and some surface random encounters, but I don't think that dungeons are scaled. I also find a lot of bandit places where I single hit them.

Dice

For my heavy character, the only way harder difficulty changes my play style is whether I spam potions or not. Still gonna sneak up and arrow first, still gonna use my shield to stun them and get best positioning, still gonna lure them into a lineup to use shouts effectively, still gonna take cover from mages dropping bombs. I guess if I lowered the difficulty the play style would be different, but going up doesn't magically open up a requirement for new dynamics from me, it just makes battles take longer and require some potions.

Juancho9 said:
The Orphanage in Riften....
stabbed the mean old lady in front of the kids expecting a bounty, but instead the kids just cheered

:D :D :D :D

I actually waited until she went outside into the garden to kill her, the kids ran outside and cheered, lol

Fitz

Evolved1 said:

If you're on the PC version you can use the "showracemenu" console command to bring up the character creation menu and edit your character.

Seth C

Anteater said:
Ok thinking of bringing the difficulty down a notch, I suck at this game, been leveling smithing way too much that I'm getting owned because I have no combat skills, everything are one shotting me :lol
If you've leveled smithing that much, make some dragon armor then improve it, become a god. On the default difficulty I could take on four frost trolls hand to hand.

derFeef

Colkate said:
If you're on the PC version you can use the "showracemenu" console command to bring up the character creation menu and edit your character.
Uh wow, can you alter the race even? And does that not brake anything?

Amneisac

Seth C said:
If you've leveled smithing that much, make some dragon armor then improve it, become a god. On the default difficulty I could take on four frost trolls hand to hand.

Problem is you have to find the materials, you can't just make that stuff because you have the level.

Dice

Evolved1 said:
I think things swing at you well enough, they just need to learn how to make things look like they have weight. Animals especially look like they're floating/gliding an inch over the surface with locomotion legs. Combined with the canned responses to blows, it does give off a very PS1 sort of vibe, but those canned responses would be far more tolerable if things had weight to them, which might be a limitation of the engine more than the skill of the animators.

odin toelust said:
I thought there was only one giant around for some reason...

Then i realized my folly

edit: just realized this is going to hit OT2 today

LOL. Same thing happened to me when I started out. I got bopped by a giant and flew up in the air. Great graphics. :)

webrunner

derFeef said:
Uh wow, can you alter the race even? And does that not brake anything?

It's a Bethesda game.. It's usually broken anyway. People seem to think my Khajiit is a Nord and she's always been a Khajiit.

Salaadin

So do dragons ever attack the main cities that you have to zone into...places like Whiterun, Solitude, etc?
Ive seen them attack the little patch towns and stuff scattered about but none in the main cities yet.

Interfectum

Salaadin said:
So do dragons ever attack the main cities that you have to zone into...places like Whiterun, Solitude, etc?
Ive seen them attack the little patch towns and stuff scattered about but none in the main cities yet.

does the college count?

Moofers

PumpkinPie said:
Is there anyone who can clear my bounty? I accidentally hit someone with my shout when I was helping the guard to kill a thief :(

^^ Just pay a guard. Its probably only 40 gold anyway. Same thing happened to me, but I got in trouble because some dumb asshole got in between me and a fucking dragon that had invaded town. Nevermind that I put the goddamn thing down and saved everybody, lets just focus on the fact that I shouted and some fool got in the way because they thought they'd do a better job with no armor and a basic dagger.

Hari Seldon said:

I was finding the combat infuriating when I was trying to play as a mage/warrior combo.

restarted and sticking to pure melee, and enjoying things more. The combat system is still tits - Dark Souls has set the standard to RPG combat I think (not the difficulty aspect, just the mechanics/feeling of it), and Skyrim falls far short of it.

I ended up lowering the difficulty to Exper. Master was just too much of a chore, and with Expert, I find it reasonably balanced. I get my ass handed to me at certain points, but it doesn't feel unfair.

Anteater

Seth C said:

My dragon scales armor (light armor) only took 2 hits from the dude :(
I'm not sure what I did wrong though, I could take hits fine from some enemies, but some would just one shot me with 1 attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom