• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

GhaleonEB said:
A word of advice for MrOogieBoogie: if you go the archery route - and it's awesome, so I'd suggest it, especially if you are playing a thief - couple it with alchemy and its poison perks. I'm rocking a wicked enchanted bow and apply poisons to many of my first strikes, which results in one shot kills from sneak much of time. All but uber-dudes drop in 1-3 shots.

I haven't battled any dragons yet, though, I'm saving the main quest line for my second character.

I want to go Sneak/Archery for my character. Care to share your character choices and perks? I guess Wood Elf is a must?

Kinda disappointed archery sneak kills only give you 3x damage modifier, while with Daggers it goes all the way to 15x. Still, I guess it's to off-set the fact that with high sneak you can snipe them as long as you want.

Also, is there any bonus for headshots, or it doesn't matter where you shoot?

Smash88 said:
I love being in the Dark Brotherhood, especially when city guards come up to me and say: "Psst, I know who you really are... Night Mother."

Makes me feel well renown and respected.

http://i.imgur.com/S6B15.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
One of the Guards in Markarth just walked up to me and said "I know you, you're that College person, I've heard of you."

I've done one measly quest with the College, and that was just because those stuck-up mage fuckers wouldn't help me otherwise. As soon as I got what I wanted I hit the road. I've got guards telling me they "respect my choice for a two-handed weapon" when I'm running around with a 100 One-armed skill, decked out with Spell Breaker and an enchanted Daedric Sword. I've got guards asking me "so you're a bow man eh?" when my Archery skill is still low as low can get. Are these guards dense? Don't they know who I am?

I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.

HTuran

Castor Krieg said:
Kinda disappointed archery sneak kills only give you 3x damage modifier, while with Daggers it goes all the way to 15x. Still, I guess it's to off-set the fact that with high sneak you can snipe them as long as you want.
3x is plenty. Get a few shots in, and if that doesn't do it, backstab them when they come to investigate.

Visceir

HTuran said:
Very nice! What bow is it? Have you upgraded it to Legendary?

It's an ebonic bow I found. I haven't leveled up smithing, nor do I plan to. And yeah, it's legendary. I had a +50% smithing potion that I had found and also used enchanted smithing gear.

Smash88 said:
I love being in the Dark Brotherhood, especially when city guards come up to me and say: "Psst, I know who you really are... Night Mother."

Makes me feel well renown and respected.

S6B15.gif

I steal a lot of stuff, basically every chance I get. I also raid a lot of dungeons, and I do a lot of side quests, that offer 1000 gold, 2000 gold, etc...
As a College mage, most people treat me with fear and suspicion. I like it.

Blue Ninja said:
One of the Guards in Markarth just walked up to me and said "I know you, you're that College person, I've heard of you."

I've done one measly quest with the College, and that was just because those stuck-up mage fuckers wouldn't help me otherwise. As soon as I got what I wanted I hit the road. I've got guards telling me they "respect my choice for a two-handed weapon" when I'm running around with a 100 One-armed skill, decked out with Spell Breaker and an enchanted Daedric Sword. I've got guards asking me "so you're a bow man eh?" when my Archery skill is still low as low can get. Are these guards dense? Don't they know who I am?

I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.
Ninja, I'm curious.
Are there other ways of getting into the College besides joining? For example, could you simply fight your way in? Or sneak?

Svartnatt

I got shot by a bandit and the arrow got stuck in my face. I thought it was in my helm, so I removed it, but the arrow was still there, embedded firmly in my cheek.

I probably went about a week in game time and the thing would not go away, then it just disappeared by itself. But I got shot again in the thigh, so I've got another arrow sticking out of me.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of these things? I'd rather not go another week...

xuchu

Hmmm...I was randomly exploring in the NE part of the map and found a huge cage with a sword inside. No map marker discovered or anything. The closest fast travel destination is frostbite crypt or freezing crypt, can't really remember the name. Any info on the sword would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone know where to get ebony ingots?

legbone

matics said:
I personally would like some cinematic bow kills.. As in the camera follows the arrow in slow motion to the target. Would be sick.

this is a great idea. i'm really surprised they didn't do something like this. archery has turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the game. i started out pure melee sword and board nord and quickly realized i needed something to deal with enemies at a distance. since i am trying to not use much magic with this character besides enchanting and shouts, i went archery. i just got the perk that lets you "aim down the sights" with the bow and it pretty much rocks. i think the next one i grab will be the slow down time thing.

Svartnatt said:
I got shot by a bandit and the arrow got stuck in my face. I thought it was in my helm, so I removed it, but the arrow was still there, embedded firmly in my cheek.

I probably went about a week in game time and the thing would not go away, then it just disappeared by itself. But I got shot again in the thigh, so I've got another arrow sticking out of me.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of these things? I'd rather not go another week...
Bethesda says it will be resolved in the upcoming patch.

Enco

HTuran said:
You should've seen my face when I realised this might be possible :lol

I wonder how long it takes to drop 80k coins?
Sadly I have nowhere near that much but I'm guessing a long, long time.

I find my self using archery and magic much more than melee. All combat is great in the game though.

FHIZ

Castor Krieg said:
I want to go Sneak/Archery for my character. Care to share your character choices and perks? I guess Wood Elf is a must?

Also, is there any bonus for headshots, or it doesn't matter where you shoot?

You don't have to go wood elf, only if you want that initial boost to your stats, really. You're also gonna want to use a melee weapon here and there, you don't have to specialize in it, but just enough to get you through those encounters where you're discovered.

And with the damage, the base archery perks up your damage done with bows. I've only used the first two (out of five) and I've already got a +40% damage with bows, so the low multiplayer doesn't really mean much to me at this point.

And no, I don't believe location of the hit matters... but I aim for the head just for fun... or their butt.

eek5

garath said:
Ok, so for my own edification, where are you guys getting the monies from? I've only done a little stealing. Most of my time has been in dungeons where I'll get a few thousand coins which I'll then spend on neat things.

Enchanting crap gear w/ Azura's black star and selling it while using my better prices equipment has made me a ton. I can turn a regular necklace into one that sells for 1k gold :eek:

legbone

Svartnatt said:

i have heard people say that if you go into your items and drop all of your arrows on the ground that it will go away. i have also heard people say that stripping off all of your clothes works. luckily i haven't had to try either so i can't tell you first hand if either works.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Smash88 said:
I love being in the Dark Brotherhood, especially when city guards come up to me and say: "Psst, I know who you really are...
Night Mother
."
If this is a title you get for passing through the quest line. Can you guys please fucking mark your spoilers.

FHIZ said:
You don't have to go wood elf, only if you want that initial boost to your stats, really. You're also gonna want to use a melee weapon here and there, you don't have to specialize in it, but just enough to get you through those encounters where you're discovered.

And with the damage, the base archery perks up your damage done with bows. I've only used the first two (out of five) and I've already got a +40% damage with bows, so the low multiplayer doesn't really mean much to me at this point.

And no, I don't believe location of the hit matters... but I aim for the head just for fun... or their butt.

Lol.

No locational damage, which is kind of disappointing. Archery actually becomes really overpowered when you get all the perks. 15x dagger is still really satisfying though.

Moofers

eek5 said:
Enchanting crap gear w/ Azura's black star and selling it while using my better prices equipment has made me a ton. I can turn a regular necklace into one that sells for 1k gold :eek:

Where can I get Azura's black star?

legbone said:
i have heard people say that if you go into your items and drop all of your arrows on the ground that it will go away. i have also heard people say that stripping off all of your clothes works. luckily i haven't had to try either so i can't tell you first hand if either works.
Get shot again by an arrow in 1st person. Works every time.

Dresden

Trojita said:
If this is a title you get for passing through the quest line. Can you guys please fucking mark your spoilers.
It's just the name of the figurehead of the order. Not a spoiler. Like Sithis.

Visceir

FHIZ said:
You're also gonna want to use a melee weapon here and there, you don't have to specialize in it, but just enough to get you through those encounters where you're discovered.

I went the archery/sneaking route and didn't use melee combat once. I have to admit it did suck at times, but it made me become extra careful and it made things more fun, kept the tension up. Also, I imagine it would have been much easier in the beginning if I had realized to turn up the mouse movement speed right away, lol.

Deified Data said:
Ninja, I'm curious.
Are there other ways of getting into the College besides joining? For example, could you simply fight your way in? Or sneak?
I presume so, but I'm trying to save the people of Skyrim, not butcher them in all kinds of graphically violent ways. I'm saving that for my assassin playthrough. :lol

Right now, though...

Aqcw7.jpg

Blue Ninja said:
I presume so, but I'm trying to save the people of Skyrim, not butcher them in all kinds of graphically violent ways. I'm saving that for my assassin playthrough. :lol
Fair enough. No persuasion options, or anything?

Visceir

Moofers said:
Where can I get Azura's black star?

Quest starts at Azura's temple, be sure to bring the broken star back to the elf in the pub, not the woman by the altar or you'll get a different item...or maybe the other item is the one you want, all depends on how you feel about killing people/bandits

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dresden said:
It's just the name of the figurehead of the order. Not a spoiler. Like Sithis.
Be that as it may, I'd figure becoming the leader of a particular organization after completing quests would be a spoiler in and of its own.

Deified Data said:
Fair enough. No persuasion options, or anything?
I could persuade them that I'm the Dragonborn, but she still
made me an Apprentice

Dammit, I wanted to marry that Hroki chick in Markarth, but she's unmarriable. Bethesda, you wound me.

Trojita said:
Be that as it may, I'd figure becoming the leader of a particular organization after completing quests would be a spoiler in and of its own.
You'd think so, but after Oblivion it's more or less a given.

You're right, though. I don't think the game's been out long enough that we can safely spoil stuff like that.

Blue Ninja said:
I could persuade them that I'm the Dragonborn, but she still
made me an Apprentice

Dammit, I wanted to marry that Hroki chick in Markarth, but she's unmarriable. Bethesda, you wound me.
That chick has the most hilarious conversations with the bloody meat vendor. Cracks me up ever time.

jet1911

Just started playing. After the tutorial I got up the nearest moutain and I "learned" a shout. I then went in something that looked like an abandonned fort and I buned the place down BUT I contracted Vampirism. :(

webrunner

Visceir said:
It's an ebonic bow I found. I haven't leveled up smithing, nor do I plan to. And yeah, it's legendary. I had a +50% smithing potion that I had found and also used enchanted smithing gear.

How do you upgrade items past finewithout levelling smithing and getting the perks? Or can you find already-upgraded equipment?

legbone said:
this is a great idea. i'm really surprised they didn't do something like this. archery has turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the game. i started out pure melee sword and board nord and quickly realized i needed something to deal with enemies at a distance. since i am trying to not use much magic with this character besides enchanting and shouts, i went archery. i just got the perk that lets you "aim down the sights" with the bow and it pretty much rocks. i think the next one i grab will be the slow down time thing.

It's strange, since Fallout has cinematic kills for guns that follow the bullet.

Alchemy

Smash88 said:
I love being in the Dark Brotherhood, especially when city guards come up to me and say: "Psst, I know who you really are...
Night Mother
."

"Is that
fur
growing out of your ears?"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
a question - can I be a sleazy scum doing the main quest or the game will make me a saviour in the end?

tjohn86 said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a sweet 1 handed weapon?
There's an iron sword in Helgen.

subversus said:
a question - can I be a sleazy scum doing the main quest or the game will make me a saviour in the end?
Your call. If you accept the destiny of the Dragonborn, you become a savior. You can reject that destiny at any time.

tjohn86 said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a sweet 1 handed weapon?
Depends on your play style. You can use a sword, axe or mace. Sword is the fastest but the weakest, and mace is the strongest but the slowest. Axe is right there in the middle.

Also look at one-handed perks. Axes can cause damage over time, swords can cause critical hits and maces do something else (?). After that just find your weapon in loot or at blacksmith shops.

If you're asking about badass unique weapons, there are hundreds. I'm not sure if there is a single awesome sword or something out there like Umbra from previous games.

TheKurgan

drizzle said:
  • Get EVERYTHING every single enemy drops. EVERYTHING. Fur boots worth 10 coins? Get it. Sell it.
  • Use Lydia (your Body Guard as a Thane from Whiterun) as a pack mule. She can carry A LOT OF SHIT. Just ask her to follow you, then talk to her and tell her you have to give her some items. She's free, but you can do that with any "bodyguard" or "companion" NPC.
  • Steed Stone is pretty awesome - negates your Heavy Armor weight and gives you an extra 100 points of "carry stuff limit" - I really don't see why would you use any other blessing stones.
  • Go (preferably with Lydia) to a dungeon, fill yourself up with junk from enemies, go out, fast travel to Whiterun, sell everything, fast travel back to the dungeon, continue the looting.
  • The first skill point in the Speech tree is pretty awesome: 10% extra on every vendor. The second one is pretty awesome too: 15% extra on vendors of the opposite sex.
  • I spent most of my early "level up points" in Stamina, because each point in that gives you five extra points in "carrying stuff". With the Steed Stone, i'm up to 475. I usually start "empty" at 166 (I like my potions, extra weapons and ingredients).
I wouldn't recommend you to do the "loot everything, fast travel when full, sell, fast travel back, continue looting" on storyline quests. Do it when you're walking around and found a new place that you want to explore. Do the loot run, fast travel back and forth, finish the dungeon, then continue on your "main quest", whatever that may be. It took me three runs of this one Dwemer (spl?) dungeon to bring everything back with me. I ended up with 100 Dwarven ingots because of it.

Doing those things, I already bought and completely furnished my Whiterun house and I have 18k gold laying around.

Also, be aware that chests and barrels in the open are not kept around forever. After 48 hours (or whatever), the items inside them will reset, and you'll lose everything you kept in them. Only place where lockers are guaranteed are in your home.

Thank you, very helpful. Better run back down the mountain and get my bones! =)

GavinGT

Banned
jet1911 said:
Just started playing. After the tutorial I got up the nearest moutain and I "learned" a shout. I then went in something that looked like an abandonned fort and I buned the place down BUT I contracted Vampirism. :(

Use a Cure Common Disease potion right now. Or pray at a temple/standing stone. You only get like three days until it becomes all-out vampirism and it's a bitch to get rid of it.

is anyone else having an issue of earning levels by getting skill-ups in skills they just happen to use a lot but not core to their character?

case in point: i have 47 sneak skill just because i sneak EVERYWHERE that isn't a town. i have 30+ in alchemy, enchanting, and smithing. but i'm a destruction/conjuration magic user. it's starting to get to the point where i have to save perks because i haven't levelled up fast enough in my magic skills. i need to find a way to level destruction/conjuration faster.

Visceir said:
Quest starts at Azura's temple, be sure to bring the broken star back to the elf in the pub, not the woman by the altar or you'll get a different item...or maybe the other item is the one you want, all depends on how you feel about killing people/bandits

You have any tips for this fight? I'm a mage (11)- destruction (51) with mostly mana regen gear and using Firebolt dual casting hoping to stagger but they still run up on me and annihilate me.

Edit: Also have the perks to raise damage of Fire and reduce costs if that matters.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Deified Data said:
Your call. If you accept the destiny of the Dragonborn, you become a savior. You can reject that destiny at any time.

If I reject it will I be able to complete the main quest?

QP3

Visceir said:
ended up using enchantments and created a bow with 233 atk + 31 fire dmg +31 frost dmg. All together 257+181 dmg.

That's with the following equipment:
+35% bow dmg hood
+40% bow dmg gloves
+40% bow dmg ring
+40% bow dmg necklace

I can one shot most stuff without even using the 3x dmg modifier from sneak. Got 99 archery now, need one more for that stun perk.

Also
holy shit at that huge underground dwemer town/area

Nice!

What tips do you have for enchanting? I have never enchanted before, so it is all a little foreign to me. Do you buy filled soul gems/use soul trap/ etc.??

Hex

Banned
I am sure this has already been posted but

:DCDeacon Pete Hines
PS3 & 360 updates have been submitted for certification. PC coming too. Current estimate is they will be live the week after T’giving.
8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by ElderScrolls

Trasher

QP3 said:
Nice!

What tips do you have for enchanting? I have never enchanted before, so it is all a little foreign to me. Do you buy filled soul gems/use soul trap/ etc.??
I enchanted my weapon with a soul trap.

scy

Metroidvania said:
Also, question. Can chest armor pieces only be enchanted with +fortify magic regen/less percent cost to X spell school? I haven't seen anything else in my list of enchants thus far that will let me put it on a chest piece.

I need to find something with boost to alchemy or enchanting to start power-gaming, lol.

You can but it's terrible. The Robes for some reason just get a far, far better bonus than the Enchant you can make. At 100 Enchanting, it's still only like -15% Cost / +10% Regen, despite the Robe version being like -30% / +150% or something. The JUST -% Cost Enchant, however, is a lot better and you can get it up to -23% to -29% depending on if you use the Alchemy potions; lets you use four equipment slots to get two schools of magic to being completely free.

Rabbitwork said:
is anyone else having an issue of earning levels by getting skill-ups in skills they just happen to use a lot but not core to their character?

That's honestly what made my first character (Stealth Archer) such a bitch to play. Bad equipment due to no Smithing or Enchanting but I had decent Alchemy that I didn't utilize as well as I should have. Capped Pickpocket super early which caused a huge gap in my character level and my Archery level (something like mid-20s with still 30-ish Archery?).

Same issue more or less with my Mage but utilized tradeskills far better so it's more-or-less pointless that my Destruction/Conjuration have been lacking.

Smash88

Banned
Trojita said:
Trojita said:

Ummm, I'm only 1 mission in.
Night Mother and Sithis
are a well known figure heads of the Dark Brotherhood through the Elder Scrolls series. I'm not spoiling anything, I just finished my first contract.

Also how do you know you become a leader of a particular organization? Aren't you spoiling the game right now?

PS3 players -- are you experiencing the lag problem I've heard about? I have it on PS3 but haven't started yet -- was going to start this weekend but maybe it's worth waiting for a patch if there's going to be a huge problem with the lag once my save game gets large?

Interfectum

Are there any master level conjurers out there? How do your summoned minions hold up in the late stage of the game? Still pretty good? I feel my destruction magic getting weaker with every level I gain and my minions are dying a bit too fast.

TheKurgan

Rabbitwork said:

case in point: i have 47 sneak skill just because i sneak EVERYWHERE that isn't a town. i have 30+ in alchemy, enchanting, and smithing. but i'm a destruction/conjuration magic user. it's starting to get to the point where i have to save perks because i haven't levelled up fast enough in my magic skills. i need to find a way to level destruction/conjuration faster.

Yes I have the same problem. I am a 1 handed, heavy armor, nord. And some of my top skills are lockpick, archery and sneak.

I remember back from my Morrowind days I would just find a super cheap to cast destruction spell and spam it it on mudcrabs. Not sure if that works in Skyrim. I am planning on letting wolves/rates just pound the crap out of me so that I can get Heavy Armor and Block up into the 30's =)

Top Bottom