• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

garath said:
I'd suggest

a) Don't spend your perks in sneaking if you don't want. Use the perks in the skills you are interested in mastering - like your magic
b) You're sneaking more than you are casting if you are gaining more sneak than magic.
c) Get the Mage guardian stone that gives +20% bonus to magic related skill gain. That will help offset the balance.
why are people talking to me like i don't understand videogames?

i understand WHY my sneak is higher. the point is sneaking should not increase at a rate that outpaces a combat skill (one-handed, spells, archery, etc) as sneaking experience is accumulated passively. you earn sneaking XP as long as you are sneaking in the presence of an enemy. you do not earn spell/1-hand/archery etc skills just for using them near an enemy. thus the amount of time in which it is eligible to earn sneak XP is vastly higher than the time in which it is eligible to earn combat XP. however it does not feel as though the XP gains from combat skills are suitably large enough to offset this.

it was broken this way in oblivion as well. you could grind to 100 sneak in like 6 hours in certain places because you earned sneak XP for sneaking near NPCs. in theory you could pick any place in skyrim where an enemy is stationary and sneak near them constantly to grind it out.

the only difference is in oblivion i played a sneaky/archery type character whereas in skyrim i'm trying to go totally magic (as much as possible) and i'm noticing it far more. it becomes a problem when i'm able to spend perk points on high-level perks in a skill i don't want to buff but unable to advance in a tree that i genuinely use.

regs

I am sure it's been mentioned here before
In the thieves guild you can pick pocket Delvin Mallory and he won't care even if he catches you, he has 1500 gold on him, more if you train with him. Just take it, go out the door, come back in he has 1500 more gold on him, take it, rinse repeat. Sometimes you won't be able to take it but most of the time you can

Visceir said:
You mean inside the
crystal
?

I was playing an archer character so it was rather easy for me as I just dodged the magic attacks and kept my distance.

I read how someone just rushed past all the other enemies and went straight for the boss as he is really the only one you need to kill.

But seeing as you're a mage and have to face other mages...I'd use the ice shout perhaps? Or an invisibility potion...or other potions that give you resistance against their attacks. Spend a little coin on potions and go in prepared.

fake edit: just read you wrote about them running up to you. What fight do you mean?

That's the one. If I start at the beginning I'll drink some potions to resist their magic, lean around the corner and hit them a couple times but when I run back to get out of view they'll run up to me. I guess i'll just try and dodge more and get more potions and just power through it or something. Really annoying.

Rabbitwork said:

i understand WHY my sneak is higher. the point is sneaking should not increase at a rate that outpaces a combat skill (one-handed, spells, archery, etc) as sneaking experience is accumulated passively. you earn sneaking XP as long as you are sneaking in the presence of an enemy. you do not earn spell/1-hand/archery etc skills just for using them near an enemy. thus the amount of time in which it is eligible to earn sneak XP is vastly higher than the time in which it is eligible to earn combat XP. however it does not feel as though the XP gains from combat skills are suitably large enough to offset this.

it was broken this way in oblivion as well. you could grind to 100 sneak in like 6 hours in certain places because you earned sneak XP for sneaking near NPCs. in theory you could pick any place in skyrim where an enemy is stationary and sneak near them constantly to grind it out.

the only difference is in oblivion i played a sneaky/archery type character whereas in skyrim i'm trying to go totally magic (as much as possible) and i'm noticing it far more. it becomes a problem when i'm able to spend perk points on high-level perks in a skill i don't want to buff but unable to advance in a tree that i genuinely use.
I know it's frustrating, but the most obvious explanation is the most valid one: stop sneaking. Sneaking is not an inherent part of being a mage, and not at all necessary to your success as one. By sneaking so much, you've changed your archetype and become a sneaky mage. It may not be what you want, but it's what you've played towards.

Interfectum

flyinpiranha said:
That's the one. If I start at the beginning I'll drink some potions to resist their magic, lean around the corner and hit them a couple times but when I run back to get out of view they'll run up to me. I guess i'll just try and dodge more and get more potions and just power through it or something. Really annoying.

they are weak as fuck to fire. throw some fire runes on the ground. also do you have a companion? bring them with you.

Tenck

I am in love with this damn game even more after I went to join the Thieves Guild. I've only done 4 missions, but FINALLY, putting my sneaking skills to good use.

balddemon

Banned
Wallach, here's the Nightingale armor info you wanted. I'll repost it just before the GAF-Lockout too.

I was level 30 upon receiving the set.

Nightingale Armor: 57 Armor Rating, +30 Stamina, +30% Frost Resistance
Nightingale Boots: 17 AR, Muffled
Nightingale Gloves: 17 AR, +20% Lockpick, +20% 1h Damage
Nightingale Hood: 25 AR, Illusion spells cost 15% less

Which actually, according to uesp.net, appears to only be the 2nd best tier of stats available.

Deified Data said:
I know it's frustrating, but the most obvious explanation is the most valid one: stop sneaking. Sneaking is not an inherent part of being a mage, and not at all necessary to your success as one. By sneaking so much, you've changed your archetype and become a sneaky mage. It may not be what you want, but it's what you've played towards.
b-b-but....

yeah i know. it's just strange. dual-casted fireball is my go-to spell and it generally kills in 1 hit. sometimes 2-3. on boss type characters i have to pull out all the stops and use runes, my atronach, potions, etc.

for as much as i use magic it feels like i should be higher in skill.

Visceir

Rabbitwork said:

I imagine it is REALLY difficult to balance the game for every imaginable playingstyle. It's a wide open world and you can do whatever whenever.

You mentioning grinding sneak to 100 isn't really helping your argument. Play the game it was meant to be played, don't exploit the weaknesses and it works (most of the time). I've been playing an archer and my archery was higher than my sneaking. I imagine leveling up magic is a bit more difficult as you shoot considerably more arrows than you fire magic, but right now the game still is rewarding you for the things you do. You sneak, you'll level up sneaking and it'll become easier for you to do it. If you want more magic experience then find a strategy that utilizes more magic and less sneaking?

Rabbitwork said:
b-b-but....

yeah i know. it's just strange. dual-casted fireball is my go-to spell and it generally kills in 1 hit. sometimes 2-3. on boss type characters i have to pull out all the stops and use runes, my atronach, potions, etc.

Yeah, enchanting is my highest skill right now, but I'm fine with that as I plan on maxing it out, eventually.

Have you considered playing a more "Nightblade-y" style of character? Mixing up stealth and illusion with destruction magic?

balddemon

Banned
My destruction is at 61 I think, and I generally stick to using dual Firebolts. It's cheap, fast, and staggers enemies. I'll use dual Fireballs or Chain Lightning against Dragons, or in fights where I can't hit my companions.
edit:
Deified Data said:
Yeah, enchanting is my highest skill right now, but I'm fine with that as I plan on maxing it out, eventually.

Have you considered playing a more "Nightblade-y" style of character? Mixing up stealth and illusion with destruction magic?
A little ways through the Thieves Guild questline, you get armor that helps with that kind of build.

garath

Rabbitwork said:

Sorry, it kinda came off that you truly didn't understand that sneaking around a dungeon constantly is going to yield more skill points than casting fireball twice an enemy.

Personally I don't think broken is the word I would use when you talk about grinding out a skill. I don't use magic, I use weapons. I am an assassin style build. My sneak is at 70, my one handed is around 40. This is almost exactly the proportion I am using the skills. I sneak everywhere in a dungeon, trying to set up the best kill. I often one shot my opponents. So in essence I am sneaking far more than I use one handed. The skill reflects that. So in my gaming experience, it's good.

erragal

Rabbitwork said:
b-b-but....

What level is your destruction magic skill at? As it gets higher the lower level damage spells will raise it a lot less; when I started using incinerate and wall of flames my skill went up a lot faster.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What am I supposed to wear for the 30x damage? I have shrouded gloves that say "backstab does double damage", and shrouded hand wraps that say "double sneak attack damage with one-handed weapons". Do these both do the same thing?

Regarding the PS3 slowdown fiasco: http://www.gamesradar.com/high-horse-broken-ps3-skyrim-was-inevitable-inexcusable-and-may-be-your-fault/

3627a8aea3183f4921de363c21ed38ed3b93675a.jpg__620x250_q85.jpg

This article speaks the sad truth. God, that patch can't come soon enough. I love Beth, but they need to get their shit together.

Hugs

Question/Spoiler about the Companions quest line:
Do I have to become a werewolf to continue? And if so can I get rid of it easily or is it a drawn out laborious process. And if it is, is the process fun. I was really enjoying those missions until that came up and then I just sort of ran away, but now I would like to continue the quest line.
Thanks!

Papercuts said:
What am I supposed to wear for the 30x damage? I have shrouded gloves that say "backstab does double damage", and shrouded hand wraps that say "double sneak attack damage with one-handed weapons". Do these both do the same thing?

No, daggers do not count as 1H weapons. Backstab = daggers, other 1H weapons = just sneak attack.

Shrouded Wraps should give you 24x sneak damage with 1H Sword/Axe/Mac while hand wraps should give you 30x sneak damage with daggers

Speaking of Thieves Guild, just got Nightangle Blade, just 22 dmg...

Edit:

Actually, even with the glovesit says double sneak damage with 1H weapons in active effects area...so not sure what the difference between hand wraps vs gloves is

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I found a horse in the wild but it still says "steal horse". Not sure why but whatever, I took it.

the problem is the stupid thing just walks off when I jump down. Is there anyway to control these things?

xxczx

Hugs said:
Question/Spoiler about the Companions quest line:
Do I have to become a werewolf to continue? And if so can I get rid of it easily or is it a drawn out laborious process. And if it is, is the process fun. I was really enjoying those missions until that came up and then I just sort of ran away, but now I would like to continue the quest line.
Thanks!
There's only one thing you loose when
you become a werewolf and that's your sleeping benfits (which aren't that great anyway) but no, you can't continue.

Alchemy

D4Danger said:
I found a horse in the wild but it still says "steal horse". Not sure why but whatever, I took it.

the problem is the stupid thing just walks off when I jump down. Is there anyway to control these things?

Probably belonged to a now deceased hunter, should have looked for his corpse near by. And as far as I know any horse you do not buy will try to run back home when you get off it.

Smash88

Banned
Deified Data said:
Regarding the PS3 slowdown fiasco: http://www.gamesradar.com/high-horse-broken-ps3-skyrim-was-inevitable-inexcusable-and-may-be-your-fault/

This article speaks the sad truth. God, that patch can't come soon enough. I love Beth, but they need to get their shit together.

Based on that article people on the PS3 will have to start a new game with the next patch, because it seems irreversible on that specific save file.... I would kill something/someone if I had to start over again, and I'm only 25 hours in.

D4Danger said:

Haha, nope :) My Horse that I own just walks off, if I'm in a town then selecting fast travel to the same town that you're in will return your horse to the entrance.

BTW, you can get your own Horse for free at Stormcloak camps. You can just take them without stealing and they will count as being yours.

erragal

balddemon said:
My destruction is at 61 I think, and I generally stick to using dual Firebolts. It's cheap, fast, and staggers enemies. I'll use dual Fireballs or Chain Lightning against Dragons, or in fights where I can't hit my companions.
edit:

At that level firebolt isn't going to give you much skill up at all, even fireball starts slowing down a lot around 67/68. I didn't use companions ever so worrying about fireballs was really rare for me. Make sure to invest in as much reduced destruction cost gear as you can find if you're not doing enchanting.

Visceir

cartoon_soldier said:

It's still the highest attack dagger, right? When I got it I was doing one hit kill backstabs all the time with it...

Mine is now legendary and has 43 atk.

Smash88 said:
Based on that article people on the PS3 will have to start a new game with the next patch, because it seems irreversible on that specific save file.... I would kill something/someone if I had to start over again, and I'm only 25 hours in.
True enough. Guess I'll wrap up this character's storyline before the patch comes out, then just start over. Fuck.

Alchemy

Deified Data said:

I have only had the game crash on me once and got into a situation where I was unable to exit a conversation with an NPC forcing me to reload (to the auto save right before I talked to him). Other then that I haven't had any problems with Skyrim, but I am playing on my glorious gaming PC. I don't think I would ever touch this type of game on a console, but I'm one of the few people more comfortable in front of my PC than a TV.

erragal said:
What level is your destruction magic skill at? As it gets higher the lower level damage spells will raise it a lot less; when I started using incinerate and wall of flames my skill went up a lot faster.
lmao i think at some point i intended to go to the college and buy some new spells but the last 5 hours of play time i have been sooooooo sidetracked. i need to remember to do that ASAP when i play again.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
cartoon_soldier said:
No, daggers do not count as 1H weapons. Backstab = daggers, other 1H weapons = just sneak attack.

Shrouded Wraps should give you 24x sneak damage with 1H Sword/Axe/Mac while hand wraps should give you 30x sneak damage with daggers

Edit:

Actually, even with the glovesit says double sneak damage with 1H weapons in active effects area...so not sure what the difference between hand wraps vs gloves is

Of course daggers are one hand weapons...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Horses are fucking awful in this game. They run away, they aren't very fast, you can't call them, companions can't ride them so they fall behind and get lost, dismounting and mounting just to kill a random mob attacking you while traveling is annoying.

At best they are good at breaking physics when it comes to mountain climbing.

Hugs

prowler_ said:
There's only one thing you loose when
you become a werewolf and that's your sleeping benfits (which aren't that great anyway) but no, you can't continue.

What else happens though?
does it affect your stats? Can you not go out at night?

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
I like how you roll.
What is the best way to get started into enchanting. I'm like lvl 15 now, but really haven't leveled up smithing past 30, and haven't even started on enchanting. I was hoping to have the majority of my skills in archery/one hand/sneak

I did it by disenchanting pretty much everything I could get my hands on and buying a ton of petty soul gems to enchant all the armor and weapons I was looting off of dead bodies, then selling them. You'll need the soul trap spell, as well (I think I got it from the court wizard in whiterun).

Alchemy

Smash88 said:

I honestly doubt this is an issue with the save file itself, but with how the PS3 version auto saves and keeps save data in memory. Pretty sure the 360 and PC versions have the same exact file size for their saves, but the general memory architecture (and amounts) vary between the platforms so the root of the issue is probably in memory management and not the actual save.

GhaleonEB

In case anyone is wondering whether that Sighless cave - really a hole in the ground - way up north is worth exploring, the answer is yes. Yes it is.

Every dungeon in Skyrim so far has been surprising me. Among the best in Oblivion was Sideways Cave, because it wove interesting fiction with a surprising and evolving dungeon. Every one in Skyrim has been as good or better. This actually terrifies me a bit, as I've only done about six not tied to quests (and 12 in total). And if they're all that good....FML

Tenck

I killed that lady from the Orphanage for the boy chanting to the Dark Brotherhood. Now what? I want to get going with the Dark Brotherhood quests :eek:

Alchemy said:
I honestly doubt this is an issue with the save file itself, but with how the PS3 version auto saves and keeps save data in memory. Pretty sure the 360 and PC versions have the same exact file size for their saves, but the general memory architecture (and amounts) vary between the platforms so the root of the issue is probably in memory management and not the actual save.
I've found disabling auto-saves helps a bit on the PS3. Still obnoxious, but manageable.

xxczx

Hugs said:
Nah, nothing else happens.
You can choose when to turn into a Werewolf or you don't have to bother with it at all. It's nothing like being a Vampire in Oblivion

Christine

There was definitely a missed opportunity in not having a thrown weapons skill. If I could implement it with a magic wand, I'd add two or three weapons specifically of the "throwing" type. Given the setting I'd pick things like throwing axes and spears over javelin or shuriken, but I think that the absence of throwing knives is significant in its omission, especially while on the
Dark Brotherhood
or
Thieve's Guild
paths.

I'd build the perk tree with a strong bias towards the ridiculous high fantasy convention of allowing you to throw progressively larger normal melee weapons.

Hugs said:

Nothing exciting, unfortunately. All you get it is
100% resistance to disease in addition to the best form power.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Tenck said:
I killed that lady from the Orphanage for the boy chanting to the Dark Brotherhood. Now what? I want to get going with the Dark Brotherhood quests :eek:

You should get a note from a courier. Afterwards, sleep.

xxczx

Tenck said:
Go back to the boy and wait until you get a letter from the courier, then sleep in a bed.

I have a question regarding the Battle-Born Grey-Mare family conflict quest.

when you have to go save Thorland from that Imperial Camp/Fort way up north, how do you do it without bloodshed?

J-Rock

Banned
Tenck said:

Clue:
Get letter & Sleep

Hugs

Confidence Man said:
Nothing exciting, unfortunately. All you get it is
100% resistance to disease in addition to the best form power.

Oh sweet jesus yes.
screw diseases. Nothing worse then wandering around for two hours not realizing you have Rockjoint

Top Bottom