• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Christine

drizzle said:
Only place where lockers are guaranteed are in your home.

There seem to be a couple other places outside the houses that you purchase. For example,
you can get a room with safe storage at the College of Magic in Winterhold with no more effort than walking there and casting 'fear'.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The game is very bad at handling conflicting cases.

Take for example, the innkeeper in Riften. You can help him out, you can also strongarm his lovely lady wife.

If you do both, he'll flip flop between "You're welcome here anytime, friend" and "you come here after what you've done?".

Max

I am not Max
How do you play this on Master difficulty? This streamer is level 44 and finished 2 questlines... I'm having enough trouble on the default setting, some of the mages I've come across kill me in one hit...

Am I playing the game wrong just by hitting things? :lol

I feel like there's some kind of deeper strategy I'm completely neglecting

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Smash88 said:
Ummm, I'm only 1 mission in. Night Mother and Sithis are a well known figure heads of the Dark Brotherhood through the Elder Scrolls series. I'm not spoiling anything, I just finished my first contract.

Also how do you know you become a leader of a particular organization? Aren't you spoiling the game right now?
I marked the spoiler of the name and was vague when I mentioned "Be that as it may, I'd figure becoming the leader of a particular organization after completing quests would be a spoiler in and of its own".

So no, trying to fling it back on me isn't going to work.

HTuran

yOWyIl.jpg

It must be said, my Scrooge fantasies didn't quite work out. So I went climbing instead.

tAWoDl.png

I don't know if it works here, but it did in Oblivion.

I would cast a conjure spell, like summon zombie, or summon elemental.
+skill to conjure
I would then cast fireball or some other magic attack spell to destroy it.
+skill to casting

repeat.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Rabbitwork said:
is anyone else having an issue of earning levels by getting skill-ups in skills they just happen to use a lot but not core to their character?

case in point: i have 47 sneak skill just because i sneak EVERYWHERE that isn't a town. i have 30+ in alchemy, enchanting, and smithing. but i'm a destruction/conjuration magic user. it's starting to get to the point where i have to save perks because i haven't levelled up fast enough in my magic skills. i need to find a way to level destruction/conjuration faster.
You are missing the entire point of the Elder Scrolls leveling system. You are doing those things, so even if you don't want them to be "core" to your character, you are still doing them. So you will gain skill points doing so.

Visceir

QP3 said:
Nice!

What tips do you have for enchanting? I have never enchanted before, so it is all a little foreign to me. Do you buy filled soul gems/use soul trap/ etc.??

To be honest I didn't bother with enchantments at all until just now recently. Before today I had zero points in enchantment and was rocking a bow that had 79 atk (yea...), and did just fine.

My advice to you is to avoid enchantments and smithing as it tends to ruin the game balance and makes it less fun. I know I don't all of a sudden enjoy it as much anymore as I did before, knowing I pretty much already have gear that is overpowered and whatever rare items I will find will never measure up. And now instead of sneaking through dungeons and being careful I just run around and shoot an arrow in the face of whoever is facing me, lol.

So yea, my advice would be for you to stay away from enchantments and use whatever rare items you find. The game seems to be balanced for that.

I wanted to get the 100 enchantment before I invested any perk points in it, as any progress before that would really be a waste if you wanted to maximize your results.

I had loads of empty lesser/common soulgems and used a bow with soultrap to fill them all with souls, killing every deer and animal in my path and also used it most of the time in dungeons. Did most of the enchantment leveling by enchanting iron daggers but I noticed that using an enchantment gem on your weapon to charge it up levels enchantment too, so whenever I faced human enemies I used the soultrap bow and the black star to re-charge my weapon after each kill (even though the weapon had enough charges for like 50 more shots, all just to level up my enchantment skill while still playing the game).

Smash88

Banned
Trojita said:
I marked the spoiler of the name and was vague when I mentioned "Be that as it may, I'd figure becoming the leader of a particular organization after completing quests would be a spoiler in and of its own".

So no, trying to fling it back on me isn't going to work.

Fling what back lol? You took offense to something that is not a spoiler, just to start some sort of stupid war over Neogaf, for no reason?

So yes, I'm going to fling this back at you, because you obviously wanted to start this whole thing.

from the console issues thread:

PS3 & 360 Patch Update #722
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete Hines just tweeted:

Quote:
PS3 & 360 updates have been submitted for certification. PC coming too. Current estimate is they will be live the week after T’giving.

Trojita

Smash88 said:
Fling what back lol? You took offense to something that is not a spoiler, just to start some sort of stupid war over Neogaf, for no reason?

So yes, I'm going to fling this back at you, because you obviously wanted to start this whole thing.

I just want to find out things for myself that would be better off left spoiler marked in this thread.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
xuchu said:
where do i find ebony ingots?

Some blacksmiths will sell them. There's also a great mine east of Windhelm that is full of ebony ore. There's enough to craft a full armor set and at least one weapon. It's one of the Orc strongholds, so if you haven't gone to one yet, you may have to do a short quest before you're granted access.
Or you could force your way in and kill them all if you really wanted to.

Christine

I think I'm going to run my next few characters under D&D-esque class restrictions. You've got to make a few judgement calls here and there (Mages should probably have some amount of permission to sneak even though they typically never have move silently/hide in shadows in D&D, for example) but I think it'll be both feasible and fun.

mxgt

Banned
This game really puts it in perspective how lacking on content some games that go for full retail price are. I'm 42 hours in, have barely done any main quest and have side quests and misc tasks stacked out the ass. I'd have happily paid double what I did for this game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm level 21, and have played for at least 40 hours, and still haven't found a blessing stone.

Shadybiz

JumpingTheGun said:

Nice, thanks for this. I have been taking it slower with my PS3 version since I learned about the slowdown issues. Hopefully this takes care of that.

Smash88

Banned
Trojita said:
I just want to find out things for myself that would be better off left spoiler marked in this thread.

Okay, but
Night Mother
, and other figure heads are known throughout the whole franchise, and I'm sorry if you found that spoilerish, but then again you have to be careful for what you will read, and I made sure not to make it the first thing in my post, but the last, so if you don't want to know anything about the Dark Brotherhood, you shouldn't of finished reading my post.

Also I was paraphrasing what the guard said, he didn't actually call me the
Night Mother

If there really is something spoilerish, like if a character is going to die or if there is a quest that I'm asking about I will always make sure to spoiler mark it, but a common figure head of a faction, everyone knows about is hardly a spoiler. That's like saying, There are Oblivion gates in the game Oblivion. It was always known, even though you will discover about it in the game later on.

But I digress, then I might as well tell you not to look at the forums, because if you think
Night Mother
is a spoiler, then you shouldn't be here.

Hex

Banned
omg.kittens said:
I'm level 21, and have played for at least 40 hours, and still haven't found a blessing stone.

The first three are right near where you first start after the intro

Visceir

flyinpiranha said:
You have any tips for this fight? I'm a mage (11)- destruction (51) with mostly mana regen gear and using Firebolt dual casting hoping to stagger but they still run up on me and annihilate me.

Edit: Also have the perks to raise damage of Fire and reduce costs if that matters.

You mean inside the
crystal
?

I was playing an archer character so it was rather easy for me as I just dodged the magic attacks and kept my distance.

I read how someone just rushed past all the other enemies and went straight for the boss as he is really the only one you need to kill.

But seeing as you're a mage and have to face other mages...I'd use the ice shout perhaps? Or an invisibility potion...or other potions that give you resistance against their attacks. Spend a little coin on potions and go in prepared.

fake edit: just read you wrote about them running up to you. What fight do you mean?

Shadybiz said:
Nice, thanks for this. I have been taking it slower with my PS3 version since I learned about the slowdown issues. Hopefully this takes care of that.
I tried, but now that I'm in over 11MB there's no turning back. I just have to keep reinstalling data and deleting autosaves until the week after Thanksgiving, I guess.

HTuran

Smash88 said:
Okay, but Night Mother, and other figure heads are known throughout the whole franchise, and I'm sorry if you found that spoilerish, but then again you have to be careful for what you will read, and I made sure not to make it the first thing in my post, but the last, so if you don't want to know anything about the Dark Brotherhood, you shouldn't of finished reading my post.

Also I was paraphrasing what the guard said, he didn't actually call me the Night Mother.

If there really is something spoilerish, like if a character is going to die or if there is a quest that I'm asking about I will always make sure to spoiler mark it, but a common figure head of a faction, everyone knows about is hardly a spoiler. That's like saying, There are Oblivion gates in the game Oblivion. It was always known, even though you will discover about it in the game later on.

But I digress, then I might as well tell you not to look at the forums, because if you think Night Mother is a spoiler, then you shouldn't be here.
You missed the entire point.

you said the guard called you Night Mother.

Spoiled it for me at least. Could have guessed it, sure, but still.

Trojita

Smash88 said:
Okay, but Night Mother, and other figure heads are known throughout the whole franchise, and I'm sorry if you found that spoilerish, but then again you have to be careful for what you will read, and I made sure not to make it the first thing in my post, but the last, so if you don't want to know anything about the Dark Brotherhood, you shouldn't of finished reading my post.

Also I was paraphrasing what the guard said, he didn't actually call me the Night Mother.

But I digress, then I might as well tell you not to look at the forums, because if you think Night Mother is a spoiler, then you shouldn't be here.

I didn't really play that much of Oblivion. Avoiding spoilers on most forums is hard, what may be a spoiler to one person may not be to another, and knowing a potential outcome of a long line of quests can be disappointing.

scy

corrosivefrost said:
I don't know if it works here, but it did in Oblivion.

I would cast a conjure spell, like summon zombie, or summon elemental.
+skill to conjure
I would then cast fireball or some other magic attack spell to destroy it.
+skill to casting

repeat.

Sort of works. You only get Conjuration skill ups from summoning if you're in combat. Find Slaughterfish and just summon Bound Blade, sheathe it, summon, sheathe, etc. until you hate that I suggested this idea.

Besides that, you can summon an Atronach and then summon your weapon of choice. Beat on it to death (it'll turn on you part way through). Bonus, you can heal up afterwards to level Restoration.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I have over 80k gold, and only used the initial "hide the gold" trick for the Whiterun house. >_>

Course, I've only bought one or two houses other than that, and have been doing the miscellaneous quests like mad.

Wow. I must have like 50 quests (including miscellaneous) in my quest journal. I'm going to cry.

Yeah, I'm a bit OCD about getting those cleared up, but I also talk to everyone during them, so I keep getting more, lol.

Raiden

Banned
So i was checking the voice actor list for Skyrim, noticed in game it had some quality .. and it does, Max Von Sydow etc. And then i looked at Paarthunax his voice actor and turns out its goddamn Charles Martinet aka goddamn Mario.

Did not expect that.

PONGSTAR

Banned
Deified Data said:
I tried, but now that I'm in over 11MB there's no turning back. I just have to keep reinstalling data and deleting autosaves until the week after Thanksgiving, I guess.
How long does it fix the issue before it returns when you do this? Trying to guage if it is worth the hassle or not...

Shadybiz

Deified Data said:

Such a dumb...dumb bug. I'm not angry about it or anything; stuff happens, but it IS a bit baffling that this wasn't noticed/taken care of earlier. 4.05 MB here, so okay for a couple more days, I suppose.

Interfectum said:
Are there any master level conjurers out there? How do your summoned minions hold up in the late stage of the game? Still pretty good? I feel my destruction magic getting weaker with every level I gain and my minions are dying a bit too fast.

I have level 94 conjuration at level 44, and it still holds up pretty well. My Dremora Lord tanks fine, and I haven't even unlocked the highest level summons or the twin souls perk yet.

Destruction magic become pretty weak until I enchanted my gear to allow free casting, but now that I can just spam dual incinerate, it does enough damage to get by even on master. Melee/archery would do more damage, but destruction magic remains viable as long as you enchant fortify destruction equipment.

Visceir

subversus said:
I think it's lame.

From what I've read
there are no end credits or anything like that, the game doesn't 'end'. The way I see it you need to save the world so you'll have a place you can be a bastard in...go slaughter everyone after you've saved the world. Hell, my bodycount is probably higher than the dragons' at this point anyway, lol.

Smash88

Banned
Trojita said:
I didn't really play that much of Oblivion. Avoiding spoilers on most forums is hard, what may be a spoiler to one person may not be to another, and knowing a potential outcome of a long line of quests can be disappointing.

HTuran said:
You missed the entire point.

you said the guard called you Night Mother.

Spoiled it for me at least. Could have guessed it, sure, but still.

Like I said I was paraphrasing what the guard said. Also I'm only on the 2nd mission of the whole DB quest line and I don't even know what happens. I'm really not trying to spoil anything.

Also what did I spoil HTuran? He just said that I know you are part of the DarkBrother Hood, by talking about the
Night Mother
, since
she
is the main figure head of the whole thing.

But since there is so much backlash over me talking about a main figure head I'll spoiler it right now, and spoiler my previous posts.

Interfectum

Basileus777 said:
I have level 96 conjuration at level 44, and it still holds up pretty well. My Dremora Lord tanks fine, and I haven't even unlocked the highest level summons or the twin souls perk yet.

Destruction magic become pretty weak until I enchanted my gear to allow free casting, but now that I can just spam dual incinerate, it does enough damage to get by even on master. Melee/archery would do more damage, but destruction magic remains viable as long as you enchant fortify destruction equipment.

How do I go about doing that? I haven't done any enchanting yet.

K2Valor said:
You are missing the entire point of the Elder Scrolls leveling system. You are doing those things, so even if you don't want them to be "core" to your character, you are still doing them. So you will gain skill points doing so.
uh. yes. i understand perfectly. the point is that i'm leveling faster in skills that i use secondarily to the type of character i'm playing.

case in point: i can skill up in smithing and enchanting up to 3 times in one session of doing either task. i've gone through entire dungeons with a single skill increase in destruction or conjuration but sometimes 2-3 sneak increases. the idea would be "stop sneaking, smithing, enchanting, etc" but i shouldn't have to purposely ignore parts of the game so i can level more "normally".

i don't need sneak perks because sneak perks primarily apply to weapons and armor. as a magic user i'm wearing robes and using spells, neither of which benefit from sneaking. i only sneak so that i can spy on enemies and decide how i want to handle them.

the entire "point" of the elder scrolls leveling system (whatever that is, the system in skyrim is fundamentally different than oblivion) is ideally designed to reward players with bonuses and skill ups in the abilities they use most. it doesn't seem to be working correctly for me in skyrim.

Mrbob

JumpingTheGun said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete Hines just tweeted:

Quote:
PS3 & 360 updates have been submitted for certification. PC coming too. Current estimate is they will be live the week after T’giving.

So what is the wait on the PC patch? Don't need to go through cert on Steam. Just update and go. Or maybe the PC patch is finally starting to be worked on now?

PONGSTAR said:
How long does it fix the issue before it returns when you do this? Trying to guage if it is worth the hassle or not...
Eh, yes and no. The game will never run as smoothly as it did when you first started, but it turns areas like Whiterun from cringe-inducing to tolerable. The game's install is suprisingly small, and only takes a few minutes. You could realistically do it ever night if you think it helps. I haven't made up my mind yet.

The important thing is to turn off autosaves (the greatest source of stuttering) and give the game a break every hour or two. I usually need the break, anyway, so I don't let it bother me. If this were any other game, however, I'd probably have moved on by now. But it's Skyrim, and I love it, so I'm sticking to it.

It's worthy to note that it's mostly only an issue around large walled cities. inside the cities, and outside in the wilderness, there's only the occasional hiccup.

Interfectum said:
Enchant enough gear with reduce Destruction cost enchantments to equal 100%.

q_q

Came upon a dragon attacking Dragon's Bridge.

2336231C83F34C883887713B614B37267326FC5E

I sat back and watched him murder people and enjoyed the irony of a place called Dragon's Bridge being destroyed by a dragon. Then he proceeded to blow fire in my face.

CC44B82CD5F350B5B4BF62CECDFD32C16BCB22C0

So I proceeded to murder his ass.

607A3A394BC7A6B9A65F2D9A88E6F5EA573B8FCF

Every now and then a game manages to not only live up to your expectations but to drive right past them and leave them in the dust.

Interfectum said:

The fortify destruction enchantment reduces destruction mana cost by x%. It can put be on amulets, armor, rings, and helmets. You can stack the effect on enough gear that the cost of destruction spells will be low enough for you to spam attacks as much as you want.

garath

Rabbitwork said:
uh. yes. i understand perfectly. the point is that i'm leveling faster in skills that i use secondarily to the type of character i'm playing.

case in point: i can skill up in smithing and enchanting up to 3 times in one session of doing either task. i've gone through entire dungeons with a single skill increase in destruction or conjuration but sometimes 2-3 sneak increases. the idea would be "stop sneaking, smithing, enchanting, etc" but i shouldn't have to purposely ignore parts of the game so i can level more "normally".

i don't need sneak perks because sneak perks primarily apply to weapons and armor. as a magic user i'm wearing robes and using spells, neither of which benefit from sneaking. i only sneak so that i can spy on enemies and decide how i want to handle them.

the entire "point" of the elder scrolls leveling system (whatever that is, the system in skyrim is fundamentally different than oblivion) is ideally designed to reward players with bonuses and skill ups in the abilities they use most. it doesn't seem to be working correctly for me in skyrim.

I'd suggest

a) Don't spend your perks in sneaking if you don't want. Use the perks in the skills you are interested in mastering - like your magic
b) You're sneaking more than you are casting if you are gaining more sneak than magic.
c) Get the Mage guardian stone that gives +20% bonus to magic related skill gain. That will help offset the balance.

anddo0

Just saw animal kingdom live! On my way to kill a giant (part of a quest). An elder dragon appears, and proceeds to kill 5 mammoths and two giants, one of which was my target :)

Seeing them go at each other was quite the sight. The elder dragon is no joke, thankfully the mammoths and giants wore him down enough that it wasn't a long fight.

Kyne's Peace is such a wonderful shout.

It's nice not having to kill all the cute, little animals. Glad to see it works on spiders, too.

Top Bottom