• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Stet

Banned
Question about the Dark Brotherhood:

To kill Astrid or not during the first meeting? I love being a goody two shoes, but I'm reading on the internet that not joining means a lot less reward / quests / achievements. I felt justified killing that old hag abusing the children, but I'm not sure about joining the DB. Plus killing 1 random stranger out of 3 just because she's telling me to? She was like "You're not getting out of here unless I see a dead body" and I was like... could it be? *saves game* *hits Astrid 2 times* *Astrid dies* :D. But still... I kinda want quests :| What to do?

Kill 'em all. Fuck everyone from the shadows. Pray to Molag Bal and watch the dragons set the world on fire as you laugh from atop your blood-drenched throne.

Esch

Banned
Sadly there's rarely a benefit to being not a huge douchebag in Skyrim. The Aedric quests that are in the game are pretty weak in terms of loot, there really are no rewards for being lawful(just started a thief character and the money i'm making is incomparable), etc. Hell even saving the world doesn't get you much.

Might as well just play the villain.

Stet

Banned
So I needed to harvest some Dark Elf blood for a
Daedric Quest
and figured the best place to get it was the useless daughter of the Sarethi farms lady.

I followed her in the shadows and murdered her. There were no witnesses, and I didn't receive a bounty.

After a few days, I have hired goons chasing me, and they carry a contract saying the mother wants me dead for killing her daughter. How the...?

Esch

Banned
So I needed to harvest some Dark Elf blood for a
Daedric Quest
and figured the best place to get it was the useless daughter of the Sarethi farms lady.

I followed her in the shadows and murdered her. There were no witnesses, and I didn't receive a bounty.

After a few days, I have hired goons chasing me, and they carry a contract saying the mother wants me dead for killing her daughter. How the...?

You get the same thing for stealing from houses and not getting caught sometimes. I like it, forces the thief characters to develop more combat ability. What I don't understand is why guards do nothing about it.

You get the same thing for stealing from houses and not getting caught sometimes. I like it, forces the thief characters to develop more combat ability. What I don't understand is why guards do nothing about it.

Maybe because there is no "hard" evidence that you committed the murder and the family just wants some vigilante justice.

Esch

Banned
Maybe because there is no "hard" evidence that you committed the murder and the family just wants some vigilante justice.

No, what I meant is why the hell these guys can attack you in FRONT of guards. Vigilante justice shouldn't be legal.

scy

No, what I meant is why the hell these guys can attack you in FRONT of guards. Vigilante justice shouldn't be legal.

Every character I have played that steals anything has had a contract put out for my death by A Whiterun Guard.

So maybe it is legal...

Barrett2

About 7 hrs in, im' giving up on attempting to play as a moral person. Im' sick of being poor, no good armor, etc.

Im' just gonna start robbing people constantly.

Mindman

Do the Xbox 360 Slims have 7200 RPM hard drives?

The reason I ask is because I was at my brother's house playing his copy on his Xbox 360 S, and he has the roughly the same amount of time played, but his game had less jerkiness and stuttering, particularly in third person, where my game is rarely as smooth as first person when I play in third person on my old skool 360.

I've cleared my cache and such, no difference. Any ideas, are the hard drives different speeds maybe?

Esch

Banned
Every character I have played that steals anything has had a contract put out for my death by A Whiterun Guard.

So maybe it is legal...

You pickpocket him?

Maybe he was just circumventing the law ;)

About 7 hrs in, im' giving up on attempting to play as a moral person. Im' sick of being poor, no good armor, etc.

Im' just gonna start robbing people constantly.

You can be lawful and make plenty of money/have good loot. There are tons of quests available, there's dungeon crawling, there's the loot from dragons. Stealing is just easier. When i played a character with no thievery I still had good armor and money. But then again I had a wife and grinded Smithing and Enchanting like a madman.

Barrett2

Speaking of which, I have tons of dragon bones / scales but am unsure what to do with them at this point. Can I use them early in the game, or do I need to hold onto them until im' explicitly instructed on how to use them?

Esch

Banned
Speaking of which, I have tons of dragon bones / scales but am unsure what to do with them at this point. Can I use them early in the game, or do I need to hold onto them until im' explicitly instructed on how to use them?
Sell them to general goods stores(i recommend rich merchants mod for convenience) or if your smithing is high enough at level 100 you can make dragon bone or dragon plate armor.

ShinAmano

Main Story Stuff:

I just finished the quest where you meet the real master of the Greybeards and I have to say that part was awesome! I was sad when he ran out of things to say. I hope that dragons are included in all future ES games.

Only thing I dont like about Dragons is they become very easy to defeat as you rank up...while bandits can still put the smack down on you -_-

Fezan

Hey how to improve you shouts.beside my first shout i haven't improved any shout.i have 5 or 6 shouts but feel like they are mostly useless

Stet

Banned

Well, I don't mind having to fight vigilantes. I just don't get how they would have figured out it was me. I was "Hidden" the whole time.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I just started over the weekend also. I tried to like Oblivion, so much. Skrim just plays and looks beautifully. Everything I disliked about Oblivion has been fixed.

Yeah, the graphics add so much. The blizzard effect at the top of mountains, the waterfalls, better looking NPCs, lighting, etc. The whole experience is so much better than Oblivion. With Skyrim I really feel like there's a whole world around me. There's a sense of wonder that was not present in Oblivion.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, the graphics add so much. The blizzard effect at the top of mountains, the waterfalls, better looking NPCs, lighting, etc. The whole experience is so much better than Oblivion. With Skyrim I really feel like there's a whole world around me. There's a sense of wonder that was not present in Oblivion.

I'd say moreso than the graphical features the game shines in content density. It's almost intimidating in scope and potential things to do- I never know what i'm going to stumble on. A cairn dedicated to a last stand of warriors. A man dead of rockjoint leaving his dog for whoever finds it. A lost shrine to Talos abandoned out in the wild, with glass equipment left at the altar.....

The only thing the game world is missing is really really great unique loot. Smithing and enchanting basically make a lot of that stuff useless, and there have been more than a few long ass quests that i thought would yield something great and came up very short.

With all the routine killing I was doing I found it very hard to feel guilty doing the Dark Brotherhood quests.

Now the Daedric quests, way more assholishness there. Little House of Horrors is on an entirely different echelon of evil dick.

Hey how to improve you shouts.beside my first shout i haven't improved any shout.i have 5 or 6 shouts but feel like they are mostly useless

Keep searching. You'll find more Dragon Walls with more words of power on them. Some of them will be completely new abilities, others will be upgrades to existing ones. You'll need to unlock all new shouts and their upgrades using Dragon Souls.

GhaleonEB

I'd say moreso than the graphical features the game shines in content density. It's almost intimidating in scope and potential things to do- I never know what i'm going to stumble on. A cairn dedicated to a last stand of warriors. A man dead of rockjoint leaving his dog for whoever finds it. A lost shrine to Talos abandoned out in the wild, with glass equipment left at the altar.....

The only thing the game world is missing is really really great unique loot. Smithing and enchanting basically make a lot of that stuff useless, and there have been more than a few long ass quests that i thought would yield something great and came up very short.
Agree. You can see they sort of went for that - I've found a lot of unique, named items with interesting effects. But they've all been borderline useless compared to the stuff I'm already carrying. So far only one weapon (a bow) and some armor from quests or found in dungeons has been useful to me.

Someone please, please, explain the arrow to the knee meme to me. I know the guard says it, but what's so funny about it?

It's not just that a guard says is - all the guardse say it, men, women, from different towns. It's like the 'arrow to the knee' is a euphemism for something.

Sadly there's rarely a benefit to being not a huge douchebag in Skyrim. The Aedric quests that are in the game are pretty weak in terms of loot, there really are no rewards for being lawful(just started a thief character and the money i'm making is incomparable), etc. Hell even saving the world doesn't get you much.

Might as well just play the villain.
Normally, that's how I play most open world games, but I had a completely different experience with Skyrim. The world itself captured me so well, I simply found myself roleplaying over time unconsciously. This is the first time this has happened to me since Ultima VII so many years ago.

When I first started the game, I found myself avoiding the main story, heading south from Helgen and stumbling upon Falkreath. I proceeded to enter shops, wait until the owners' turned their backs, and rob them blind; then I'd proceed into homes, nabbing every book, bit of food, and weapon or armor that interested me. But just wandering around in the world turned me from this path. I started empathizing with these polygonal people and their AI routine lives, trying to eke out an existence in this harsh land. It was quite marvelous really when I realized what was happening. I still steal and pickpocket on occasion, but it's in a more Robin Hood capacity, burglarizing the longhouses and manors of the powerful and wealthy.

The game obviously doesn't have this effect on everyone, but for those who don't want to be an antisocial asshole the game can still be extremely rewarding.

Barrett2

Yesterday I was wondering why as a heavy magic user I felt so weak. Then when I leveled up at one point I realized I hadn't selected a single destruction magic perk yet, because I didn't realize it was something there were perks for. Derp.

Question, playing on 360 the game will just go to zero for a few seconds, at least once every 15 min or so. Do I just have to get used to this as a dirty console player?

Enco

To kill Astrid or not during the first meeting? I love being a goody two shoes, but I'm reading on the internet that not joining means a lot less reward / quests / achievements. I felt justified killing that old hag abusing the children, but I'm not sure about joining the DB. Plus killing 1 random stranger out of 3 just because she's telling me to? She was like "You're not getting out of here unless I see a dead body" and I was like... could it be? *saves game* *hits Astrid 2 times* *Astrid dies* :D. But still... I kinda want quests :| What to do?
Kill her.

The quests pretty much all suck and the DB are all assholes.

I won't blog spam but I at least want to share the photoshop jobs for the skyrim bachelors post I did last week. I am so engrossed in this world. All my free time at home is spent in Skyrim...or making retarded photoshops.

trhgTm.jpg
wQEAkm.jpg

dprOrm.jpg
XUbwwm.jpg

45k5tm.jpg

ShinNL

So I just got Wall of Flames and played with it a little... then I had a little fantasy about using -100% destruction spell reduction, frost cloak, wall of frost and just shooting the ground while walking forward.....

(And by fantasy I mean I went to Winterhold and put it all into action xD)

JoeBoy101

Just so you know, there is a small, but significant quest line should you go the goody-two shoes route.

Hugs

So, I think one of my civil war quest might have glitched out, preventing me from completing it. Any advice? Spoilers about Civil War questline.

I'm doing the series of quests in The Reach. I finished the quest attacking the wagon the steward of Reach tells you about after you blackmail him. I return, hand in that quest to Galmar and get told to go join the men attacking Fort Sungard. Only no quest icon arrow appears on the map and when I get there there are no Stormcloak soldiers to meet. However that part of the quest still completes and I get to the next leg "Take over Fort Sungard by defeating the enemy (100% Remaining)" only there are no Imperials to defeat in the fort. The quest wont complete. I have tried reloading from a previous save and going through that series of quests again but no avail. Am I boned? Will Skyrim be forever at war? Will I never get those two achievements....

Has anyone else experienced this? Or got any advice on how to fix broken quests?

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, now i've gotten enough of Skyrim. I'm tired of not being able to install (buglessly) the game and tired of waiting for a patch. I'm tired of the awfully limited spell selection. I'm tired of the bad progression system. And most of all, i'm simply tired of it. Great game, clocked some 100 hours at least with it. And that's enough. (Didn't finish a single quest line, or even progress much in them.)
I'll start playing again once the game has gotten a patch or two and DLC has been announced.

Next, SWTOR and when not playing it, i'll finish Halo Anniversary achievements.

webrunner

Kill 'em all. Fuck everyone from the shadows. Pray to Molag Bal and watch the dragons set the world on fire as you laugh from atop your blood-drenched throne.

I had a blood drenched throne once, then I...

... found it was too slippery so I had it cleaned down and just painted red.

Wilsongt

So yesterday, I was playing Skyrim and since I had to start over, I was trying to complete a few quests in Whiterun again. One was the mammoth tusk quests. I knew I ran across a bandit's cave that was full of them before and while looking for it I came across Shimmer Mist cave.

Went inside and all of a sudden. Falmer. WTF. Killed them and the further I got into the closer I got to dwarven ruins.

Needless to say, at Level 8 I got my ass handed to me.

SKYRIM

cackhyena

So I think I am boned with this Karliah not meeting me at the standing stone glitch. I found her stil hanging out in that cellar where we met previously, but she won't move. I've shouted her towards the door, shot her with arrows, tried to talk to her and even fought her to the point of attacking me and following me out of that cellar. When I actually left the tavern, she wouldn't come, though. Shit sucks.

Does no one have an answer for this? Is this pretty rare or something? I'm over 100 hours into this so there's no turning back to start a new character, cuz fuck that. I'll take any advice that might fix this ridiculous glitch.

Does no one have an answer for this? Is this pretty rare or something? I'm over 100 hours into this so there's no turning back to start a new character, cuz fuck that. I'll take any advice that might fix this ridiculous glitch.

Have you tried fast traveling around? Sleeping, waiting? See if that "jangles her free"

I can't remember if you have to talk to Tonila before that quest or not. If you enter the standing stone does anything happen ? I am trying to recall but maybe she doesn't meet up with you until further into the dungeon.

So yesterday, I was playing Skyrim and since I had to start over, I was trying to complete a few quests in Whiterun again. One was the mammoth tusk quests. I knew I ran across a bandit's cave that was full of them before and while looking for it I came across Shimmer Mist cave.

Went inside and all of a sudden. Falmer. WTF. Killed them and the further I got into the closer I got to dwarven ruins.

Needless to say, at Level 8 I got my ass handed to me.

SKYRIM

I just did that cave last night at level 18 and I still barely made it out alive after 10+ tries. It gets really hairy in the last room with the
robot

impirius

I love this game and have put a ton of time into it, but both my Companions questline and main questline are bugged out, and I can't progress any further. Oh well. Time to put this on the shelf and hope a patch comes out.

Kuran

Banned
Should I update to the last version (Windows) if I'm not experiencing any problems? I think I have the first patch right now. (The one before the backwards dragons)

I love this game and have put a ton of time into it, but both my Companions questline and main questline are bugged out, and I can't progress any further. Oh well. Time to put this on the shelf and hope a patch comes out.

Unfortunately a patch (I fear) won't retroactively fix this.

So I finished the Dark Brotherhood questline at Level 22.

Oddly I have no more desire to play the game now.

Part of me just wants to "retire" my character to the beautiful woods around Riften, and just hunt and live off the land.

GhaleonEB

Thieves Guild stuff. Not going to spoiler.

So, Tonilia has been glitched for me from an early stage in the Thieves Guild quest line because I sold my Guild armor to her. At one point I'm told to talk to her and get it upgraded - but since I don't have it, she can't upgrade it, and she wouldn't ever talk about anything else, all the way through the quest line. Nothing.

Last night I had done 3/4 of the special quests and check in with her and huzzah! she is saying something different. She sends me on a little quest to deliver moon sugar to some traders to set up supply routes for the Guild. I do that, and knock off the final special quest to rebuild the Guild (in Markarth this time), and come back the the ceremony to become Guild Master.

I head to Tonilia to finish up her quest, but all she'll tell me is to go talk to Byrnoff. I do, we do our thingy, then he tells me to go back and talk to Tonilia.

When I get back to her....she's back to asking about the fucking Guild armor upgrade again. You know, the armor I sold to her. So now I can't 1) complete her quest, 2) complete rebuilding the Thieves Guild, or 3) get the Achievement for doing so, because all she'll do is berate me for not having my Guild armor. Which is what she's been doing for about 100 of my 130 hours of play.

The only way I can think to un-break this is to grind lockpicking up to 100 and steal some off of one of the other Guild members. Naturally, it's at 21 right now, and I'm level 47.

Pending that, does anyone have any ideas how to un-break her? Mind-blowing that such a simple thing could break the entire quest line like this.

Just so you know, there is a small, but significant quest line should you go the goody-two shoes route.

I don't see how it's significant. I did it and nothing changed for me. Sometimes I hear "You're the one who did that. Good for you!" from a guard, but that's it. I was kinda pissed when I found it out and I'll join them on my next playthrough. That said, I had to kill her, because she pissed me off.

"Kill one or you won't leave."
"Well, fuck you, Astrid. *zap*"

Top Bottom