• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Anyone married Senna? She's a priest in Dibella's temple. Does she move into your house?

When you marry someone, your spouse will ask you about living arrangements and you can place her in any of your homes or let her stay put. At least that's the case with me, but I didn't marry Senna. I went with Sylgja in Shor's Stone. Cute, good voice, and doesn't give me any guff. What's not to like?

Shepard

I'm level 30, trained mostly in destruction magic and started to kill those dragons marked on the map. thing is, they're easy as hell. Do they end up getting harder further on? Pretty disappointing to see those awesome creatures going down without taking even 1 point of my HP.

Emitan

Teehee

6xOOF.jpg

wut

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Didn't know you could marry her. She was kind of a bitch to me when I washed up drunk in her temple.

I don't know, I did her quests and she is a bit flirty. I'm playing a female character. There's definitly lesbian orgies going on in that temple when no one is around. I'm gonna join in!

Married Camilla and that bastard Faendal keeps walking into my house like owns the damn thing. I swear one of these days I am going to take him out back and dump his body in a well.

GhaleonEB

I don't know, I did her quests and she is a bit flirty. I'm playing a female character. There's definitly lesbian orgies going on in that temple when no one is around. I'm gonna join in!

I broken into a Temple of Mara and had that exact thought. All those women sitting around in candlelight, robed and speaking in hushed whispers. Damn you, ESRB.

Socreges

Banned
Little help please:

Do you guys think it's worth picking up virtually every weapon and piece of apparel along the way in order to sell it later? I'm at least making sure that the weight to value ratio is decent (e.g., 1:5), but it's pretty tedious (micro-managing as I try to stay around my max carry weight) so I'm thinking it may be better use of my time to just skip it with few exceptions and depend on other sources of money.
Thanks in advance.

GhaleonEB

Little help please:

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you're up to. If you are power saving for a house or something, start by grabbing the most valuable loot, and focus on carrying the most valuable stuff you can as you can out of dungeons. Ingredients, smithing and potions are a very efficient way to get money.

After you get your first house, the coin will pile up so fast you won't be worrying about it any longer. I just pile up money for the heck of it now.

Socreges

Banned
Awesome, thanks. I didn't even know you could buy property, thought it doesn't surprise me given that this game has such a high ceiling.

Aaaand the last question of the day:

I'm storing a lot of my stuff in a chest in Riverwood (eg, books and ingredients). Is there any risk of stealing?

GhaleonEB

Awesome, thanks. I didn't even know you could buy property, thought it doesn't surprise me given that this game has such a high ceiling.

Aaaand the last question of the day:

I'm storing a lot of my stuff in a chest in Riverwood (eg, books and ingredients). Is there any risk of stealing?

The only chests that are safe are ones in your own home. Things left in publicly available locations will soon go missing.

You can buy property from the Jarls (actually their side kicks) in most towns, but they'll send you on quest or two before inviting you become a citizen there and giving you the option of buying a house.

I suggest Markarth, which has a fantastic house that is 8,000 gold.

TTG

Little help please:

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the low 20s right now and even if there was something to spend the money on, it's too much of a hassle. The vendors don't have enough money and they'll only buy the stuff they're interested in. I haven't invested in training yet, so maybe that adds up, but right now I'm sitting on a bunch of gold that's really useless. Remember, a lot of quests really pay off. Maybe I should buy a house in every single town or something.

On the upside, I'm always running out of room because I'm picking up all the cool enchanted stuff. A lot of it I disenchant(although I don't seem to get nearly the same effect when crafting the stuff myself) and some of it I just keep and never use just because it's cool. Like that stupid deadric warhammer that I haven't touched, that's permanently taking up like 28 points out of my inventory. And then there are the potions, I'm carrying enough to supply all of Skyrim at this point.

Socreges

Banned
Thank you, Ghaleon good sir.

TTG, good to know. I think I'm just going to be a little more picky.

I also have questions about how enchanting works, but I think I'll just sort that out myself in time.

Sushen

Just started. New to Elder Scroll world, although played Fallout 3, and loved it. Definitely, I can feel the Fallout vibe, which must be from Elder Scroll games to start with.

I love the vast, epic sense that I'm getting out of the world of Skyrim. Took 2 hours to decide which character to play as and ended up re-choosing after 20 minutes of trying... My OCD is not much compatible with these kinds of games in general. It's a nice change of pace away from MW3.

GhaleonEB

Is there any way to tell what effects you have learned from disenchanting? I feel like it's a crapshoot what enchanted loot I haul out of a dungeon. I might just write them all down on a list.

Also, I'm starting to pile up loot that won't stick to weapon racks, which is a bummer. All unique items from quests or special dungeons. They just pop right off and fall on the floor. :\

gate777

The only chests that are safe are ones in your own home. Things left in publicly available locations will soon go missing.

You can buy property from the Jarls (actually their side kicks) in most towns, but they'll send you on quest or two before inviting you become a citizen there and giving you the option of buying a house.

I suggest Markarth, which has a fantastic house that is 8,000 gold.

You could also just spend 200 gold. Buy the amulet that allows marriage and marry a woman that has a house and store your stuff there. Ysolda from Whiterun is one that has a house. Pretty handy if you're low on funds with a lot of dragon bones to carry around.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is there any way to tell what effects you have learned from disenchanting? I feel like it's a crapshoot what enchanted loot I haul out of a dungeon. I might just write them all down on a list.

Also, I'm starting to pile up loot that won't stick to weapon racks, which is a bummer. All unique items from quests or special dungeons. They just pop right off and fall on the floor. :\

Just put them in a chest.

BTW I found an ebony sword. It's pretty shitty... Can I turn it into an ebony ingot?

edit: When I started the game and had too much stuff, before I had my house, I stashed everything in a chest in Dragonreach in Whiterun, somewhere in the basement of the kitchen. Bought my house eventually, and moved everything back there.

TTG

If someone has tips on how to better enchant weapons/armor, I'm all ears. It was absolutely one of my favorite things to do in Morrowind, but unlike Morrowind, it's not the strength of your soul gem that's valuable here. I go through the trouble of trapping some greater souls(I know, not ideal, but I'm at a low level) and it's just overkill, for the weak spells I have. Do I need to disenchant some stronger stuff, or is it my enchanting skills that suck? I already have my grand soul gems and a crafted soul trap bow ready for the next time I run into a dragon priest(you can soul trap anything other than a dragon, right?), but it seems like it would just be wasted for whatever I do with it.

Anteater

You could also just spend 200 gold. Buy the amulet that allows marriage and marry a woman that has a house and store your stuff there. Ysolda from Whiterun is one that has a house. Pretty handy if you're low on funds with a lot of dragon bones to carry around.

good idea :eek:

I'm getting married today!

Eiji

How do I fix these shadows. I get diagonal lines sometimes and the shadows seem to "crawl". Settings are all high with shadows on low on a 8800GT GPU.

qtbKu.jpg

QZmkz.jpg

GhaleonEB

Just put them in a chest.
I get a kick out of the weapon and armor racks, try to put all the unique or cool looking loot I'm not currently using on them. So it's annoying to not have them work for some of the coolest items.

Stuff in a chest doesn't look cool when I march into the house to stash the latest loot. :p

If someone has tips on how to better enchant weapons/armor, I'm all ears. It was absolutely one of my favorite things to do in Morrowind, but unlike Morrowind, it's not the strength of your soul gem that's valuable here. I go through the trouble of trapping some greater souls(I know, not ideal, but I'm at a low level) and it's just overkill, for the weak spells I have. Do I need to disenchant some stronger stuff, or is it my enchanting skills that suck? I already have my grand soul gems and a crafted soul trap bow ready for the next time I run into a dragon priest(you can soul trap anything other than a dragon, right?), but it seems like it would just be wasted for whatever I do with it.

You don't need to disenchant stronger stuff. Once you disenchant a item with an enchant, you learn it, the strength of the enchant is based off a combination of the type of soul you use to enchant and the lvl of your enchanting skill.

Easiest way to level enchanting is to get a bunch of soul gems, kill animals and enchant throwaway weapons (iron daggers work well)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Enchanting_Effects

This link is great at helping you find out what enchants can be placed on what item

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the low 20s right now and even if there was something to spend the money on, it's too much of a hassle. The vendors don't have enough money and they'll only buy the stuff they're interested in. I haven't invested in training yet, so maybe that adds up, but right now I'm sitting on a bunch of gold that's really useless. Remember, a lot of quests really pay off. Maybe I should buy a house in every single town or something
I'm level 25 and have just finally started having an excess of money. I've been spending a ton on arrows, lockpicks, weapons, armor, training, and jail fines (hehe). I sell every item I find that has any significant value. I've dumped most of my Level Up points into stamina (appx. at 380 now), so that helps. It usually takes me two dungeons to fill up on loot, and then I fast travel to a town or two to sell it off, and leave the left overs in my chest at Breezehome.

Dragon attacked at the mages' college, it got killed by all the mages before I figure out where it is :(

Got attacked there too, but when the dragon attacked the only guy out there was that Thalmor asshole who just stood there and just watched as my low level character and Lydia barely took it out. Of course once it had died everyone appeared and talked about how they couldn't believe it. Assholes.

Mindlog

Question: How many of you bothered smithing lower tier armors for something other than power leveling?

I built my mage an enchanted glass set that lasted about 5 quests before I went full dragon scale. I was wondering how many people built lots of intermediate armor between basic stuff and end-game class equipment.

I liked the ending. (nothing specific)
I don't need some grandiose cinematics to tell me what I've done. The fact that it felt like just another chapter in the Elder Scrolls universe was great. You've saved us... until next time. p.s. Games are pointless.

I'm rolling around with all the houses (I think) and 100k gold. This game needs treasure bath tubs.

Anteater

Got married and first thing my wife do is walk away and disappear after the ceremony without a word.

Giving me your phone number or telling me where you live would be nice honey :(

Now I can't find her!

Jeff Chen

Banned
Weapon:
6496306569_ee61856a2c.jpg

Armor set:
6496311209_fc621ee888.jpg

Now no one can kill me, physically - then when bethesda fixes the resistance problem on PS3, I'll have 66% magic resist, and be nearly invincible -_,-

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm in the low 20s right now and even if there was something to spend the money on, it's too much of a hassle. The vendors don't have enough money and they'll only buy the stuff they're interested in. I haven't invested in training yet, so maybe that adds up, but right now I'm sitting on a bunch of gold that's really useless. Remember, a lot of quests really pay off. Maybe I should buy a house in every single town or something.

On the upside, I'm always running out of room because I'm picking up all the cool enchanted stuff. A lot of it I disenchant(although I don't seem to get nearly the same effect when crafting the stuff myself) and some of it I just keep and never use just because it's cool. Like that stupid deadric warhammer that I haven't touched, that's permanently taking up like 28 points out of my inventory. And then there are the potions, I'm carrying enough to supply all of Skyrim at this point.

If you finish
the Thieves Guild
quest line, all the fences in the world will have 4000 gold and operate like general stores.

GreekWolf

122 hours clocked (360 version), roughly half the map explored, zero guilds completed, and still in love with the game.

Crazy as it sounds, I honestly think that I could be perfectly happy just playing Elder Scrolls/Fallout games exclusively for the entire gen. For whatever reason, Bethesda open-world games just 'click' with me.

So I just made a glass axe with absorb hp and stamina and started noticing that the usage bar had disappeared. Turns out, because I'm wearing items that reduce my destruction magic down to 0, I have 0 soul usage as well on my axe :D

Skill and Perk Interaction
Elemental effects are affected by the appropriate Destruction perks. If you have an elemental effect and the corresponding Destruction perk(s), and a second effect, the perk(s) affect both effects. If you have two elemental effects and their corresponding Destruction perks, both perks apply multiplicatively to both effects, giving up to a x2.25 multiplier.
Stability affects the duration of Paralyze effects.
Kindred Mage affects the level of Fear effects against appropriate NPCs.
Aspect of Terror does NOT affect the level of Fear effects.
Necromage affects the magnitude (damage or level) of all effects used against undead targets. In particular, this allows Turn Undead effects of level 40 or higher to work on Dragon Priests (level 50).
Anything that reduces spell costs for a weapon effect's school will reduce its use cost as well. This includes skill and apparel effects.

And most weapon enchantments are fall under the destruction school

Astra

So I just made a glass axe with absorb hp and stamina and started noticing that the usage bar had disappeared. Turns out, because I'm wearing items that reduce my destruction magic down to 0, I have 0 soul usage as well on my axe :D

That's actually interesting to know, since I was wondering why the hell my weapon's enchantment bar wasn't decreasing. I made a bow with Fear and Frost Damage and it went empty very quickly. So I bought a crap load of soul gems, empty and filled, and proceeded to fill the empty ones. So now I have an insane amount of soul gems, and no reason to use them.
Somewhere between all that I made armor with fortify destruction enchants. Good to know that's why my weapon isn't going empty. Guess I can store all my soul gems.

I read that bit tonight and had no idea what it meant, thanks for breaking it down. I've still in the planning stages for my ultimate equipment, but it looks like fortify destruction will be a necessity.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's very cool, but I'm actually really enjoying the soul recharge aspect of enchanted weapons now that I have quiet casting and invisibility.

Sneak up->soul trap->throat slit (get to see the soul absorbed during the animation :D)->invisibility->recharge weapon->move on

I'm like a medieval Predator

okenny

Banned
Weapon:
6496306569_ee61856a2c.jpg

Armor set:
6496311209_fc621ee888.jpg

Now no one can kill me, physically - then when bethesda fixes the resistance problem on PS3, I'll have 66% magic resist, and be nearly invincible -_,-

I found out from a fellow poster days ago that there is a armor cap of about 537 (if I remember correctly). So at around level 48 to 50 playing on master, there are still plenty enemies with moves that can kill you in one or two shots so keep your close wounds spell handy and try not to get bum-rushed by Frost Mages. I have working magic resistance and even with 50% resistance, it's a site to behold watching your health bar go down like you'd just experienced your first match with Cyber Akuma ;_;

okenny

Banned
damn it she won't even let me sleep on her bed =(

Just gives me the message "You cannot sleep while being asked to leave"

I've made a huge mistake

You know what you must do friend. I think you and her are long overdue for a couples retreat to one of many Skyrim's luxurious Giant camps. Have her wait somewhere convenient and introduce a little... stimulus ;) Your club membership gift should get her and shape and send your relationship soaring :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You know what you must do friend. I think you and her are long overdue for a couples retreat to one of many Skyrim's luxurious Giant camps. Have her wait somewhere convenient and introduce a little... stimulus ;) Your club membership gift should get her and shape and send your relationship soaring :D
You don't get to marry again if that happens, do you?

okenny

Banned
You don't get to marry again if that happens, do you?

I'm not sue actually though the way I see it, what is he going to do differently to keep the next whore from rinding his heart clean of love? NOTHING! He can be single or keep getting hurt. Maybe marraige is this game's biggest bug... LIFE'S BIGGEST BUG!

Untitled-1.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So is there a quest to eliminate the thieves guild? Or is this like every other "bad guy" stuff in the game where you either join and do the quests, or do no quests that do the opposite?

gate777

damn it she won't even let me sleep on her bed =(

Just gives me the message "You cannot sleep while being asked to leave"

I've made a huge mistake

Reload a save if you have one. You MUST speak to her BEFORE she exits the temple in order for her to give you the key to her house.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Level 14 here and finally hit a quest where I just had to bump the difficulty down to novice long enough to finish it. Anyone pull off the Gaulder Amulet quest without cheesing out? Ultra long quest culminating in a ridiculously difficult final battle.

Level 14 here and finally hit a quest where I just had to bump the difficulty down to novice long enough to finish it. Anyone pull off the Gaulder Amulet quest without cheesing out? Ultra long quest culminating in a ridiculously difficult final battle.

Think I was about 16-17 when going through that but I'm a high elf Mage With Lydia rolling with me, it wasn't too bad. I really like that amulet too, works great for my character.

Top Bottom