• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Volimar

Level 14 here and finally hit a quest where I just had to bump the difficulty down to novice long enough to finish it. Anyone pull off the Gaulder Amulet quest without cheesing out? Ultra long quest culminating in a ridiculously difficult final battle.

I didn't find it that rough, but I did have a companion with me. The Amulet is kind of a letdown IMO...

Man, my game is locking up almost every play session now. Thinking I should just soldier through the main quest and be done with it. There's still tons to do, but the frame rate and freezing is just going to get worse, huh?

bengraven

Decided I'm going to do the murder mystery quest in Markarth that may involved the Forsworn. First order of business was that I had to go get someone to back me up and I went to Solitude and picked up Lydia.

"Lydia...I need you to help me catch a killer of women" - should have been the "follow" dialogue

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking I'm just gonna forsake this piece of shit difficult quest I'm on and soldier on to riften and start the thieves guild stuff.

Respawn

Banned
Level 14 here and finally hit a quest where I just had to bump the difficulty down to novice long enough to finish it. Anyone pull off the Gaulder Amulet quest without cheesing out? Ultra long quest culminating in a ridiculously difficult final battle.
I need a damn key for one of the quest. The quest in that snowy mountain lvl. Any ideas?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thinking I'm just gonna forsake this piece of shit difficult quest I'm on and soldier on to riften and start the thieves guild stuff.
Rolling with the Thieves' Guild (I haven't even finished the questline) made me a lot stronger and more capable, and I got more invested in the plot than I expected to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the main quest aspects, you should be fine. I don't think there are any penalties for killing people instead of sneaking.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I've been having a rather unexpected jump in difficulties in fights against various bandits across Skyrim. Holy shit, those bandits are much more difficult to fight than dragons... horray for level scaling?

Can I ask for some advice from the Skyrim experts here on how to make things a bit more bearable all around? The following is the details of my character... I'm pulling this from memory so there might be some little inaccuracies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 28 (iirc) right now with a Wood Elf named Eomyr Elfwood (yea yea not very creative so what) Playing with the Xbox360 version--so far it's a smooth ride unlike the abomination that is PS3 version.

Health is around 300-ish and stamina is 160-ish. No investment in magicka so far.

Equipped with Glass Bow (Elite), Glass Armor (Elite), Glass Daggers (Elite) on both hands, and various equipments that boost archery damage (20% and 15%... the effect is cumulative, right?), speech (+15%)

Highly specialized in the following skills:

• Archery (currently 63): Overdrive (4/5), Eagle Eye, Critical Shot (1/3), Steady Hand (1/2), Power Shot, Hunter's Discipline, Ranger.
  • Smithing (currently 70): Steel smithing, Elven Smithing, Advanced Armors, Glass Smithing.
  • Pickpocket (currently 92): Light fingers (1/5), Night Thief, Cutpurse, Misdirection (pickpocketing weapons from people is so goddamn hilarious. Can't wait to see just how funny The Perfect Touch is going to be)
  • Sneak (currently 72): Stealth (1/5), Muffled movement, Backstab, Lightfoot, Deadly Aim, Silent Roll, Assassin's Blade, Silence.

Leveled up skills through the course of the game, with no points so far invested in them:
Lockpicking (around 35), light armor (30-ish), illusion (25-ish), and Speech (35-ish just from selling loots)

Defeated 4 dragons so far (including the first must-fight one). I have two shouts now: Force and Flame Breath (inactive.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First: is the backstab damage factors both weapons in right and left hand or is it one hand only?

Is it wise to pick after Illusion tree just for the invisibility spell? Coupled with Shadow Warrior it seems like it can save my butt a lot of times... Many of my defeats so far have been the result of angry axe-bashers with heavy plates (and friends) charging right at me... so I'm thinking some means to "disappear" from straight out battle is very preferable. Is it too late now for my characters to train this?

I'm also not touching the Enchanting tree at all (currently at 15....) but I've heard that investing in this tree can really tip the odds to the Dragonborn... is it true? I'm still rather confused by the whole soul-bind and charging business, however.... Is it wise to invest here? Or maybe alchemy?

Sorry for the long read. Suggestions are most welcomed :)

So my home in whiterun, is separated into loot sections

The living room, the firepit is being fueled by books, now when I pick 1 up there are 3-4 more attached. The chairs surrounded by instruments.

The space behind the stairs, nothing but cheese of all types.

Lydia's room, overflowing with wine bottles. My room, full of skulls.

Now my game is messed up and npc's don't give me dialogue options

So my home in whiterun, is separated into loot sections

The living room, the firepit is being fueled by books, now when I pick 1 up there are 3-4 more attached. The chairs surrounded by instruments.

The space behind the stairs, nothing but cheese of all types.

Lydia's room, overflowing with wine bottles. My room, full of skulls.

Now my game is messed up and npc's don't give me dialogue options

I was hoping to find a place to display all the nordic puzzle lock claws I came across, but I thought I heard that placing things elsewhere than the designated display spots (chests, mannequins, plaques, cases, bookshelves) can cause them to go missing, even in your house. Can anyone verify that they'll stay put?

NBtoaster

I was hoping to find a place to display all the nordic puzzle lock claws I came across, but I thought I heard that placing things elsewhere than the designated display spots (chests, mannequins, plaques, cases, bookshelves) can cause them to go missing, even in your house. Can anyone verify that they'll stay put?

I've been putting my claws in my chests and cupboards, they stay put like anything else.

I'm also not touching the Enchanting tree at all (currently at 15....) but I've heard that investing in this tree can really tip the odds to the Dragonborn... is it true? I'm still rather confused by the whole soul-bind and charging business, however.... Is it wise to invest here? Or maybe alchemy?

Screw alchemy, takes way to long to level up. Go Enchanting, it will buff you a lot. Just buy a weapon with Soul Trap, DS it to get the enchantment, enchant it into a sword or something you normally use, gather souls, enchant Iron Daggers. You will level it up pretty quickly.

Multiple books turning to 1 item

8EE7E6AD.jpg

zethren

Banned
Just started a Dark Elf Battle Mage character, having a lot of fun with the College of Winterhold.

Also just completed the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood on my Khajiit Assassin character. The Nightingale armor is just awesome.

And just beat the main quest on my original character: zethren, the Nord Barbarian. I have to say, Sovngarde's sky is one of the most beautiful sights I've seen in a game in a long time.

I'd have to say I really enjoyed Skyrim's main quest, but the game really shines with it's guild questlines. Can't wait to get further into the College, and check out the Bard quests as well (I know it's not nearly as in depth, though). Still have to gather all of the Dragon Priest masks as well...gah.

Damn it, froze again. That's the fifth time this week, and this one only happened ten minutes after I started playing. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to do this stupid PS3 system check every time I manually turn off the system.

Anteater

Reload a save if you have one. You MUST speak to her BEFORE she exits the temple in order for her to give you the key to her house.

Yea that's what I actually did when I couldn't find her, got tired of it and reloaded, I didn't know you actually have to talk to her right after, good thing I reloaded.

The sleeping on the bed problem is just me trying to get on the bed while she occupied it :lol, I wanted the resting bonus and didn't want to wait (i like to explore during daytime so I wanted to sleep at night...)

cackhyena

So I think I am boned with this Karliah not meeting me at the standing stone glitch. I found her stil hanging out in that cellar where we met previously, but she won't move. I've shouted her towards the door, shot her with arrows, tried to talk to her and even fought her to the point of attacking me and following me out of that cellar. When I actually left the tavern, she wouldn't come, though. Shit sucks.

Arjen

Wulf could tango with 12 Deathlords and still have enough energy left to do the salsa.

12 Death Overlords, however, would be a different matter.

Sul can take care of as many as you can throw at him, as long as they don't see him. If they do, there'd be no salvation for the Dark Elf.

Wel that was the problem, i'm a sneaky archer, and if they didn't see me they would be all dead without any hassle.
But they did see me, and before i knew it they were al rushing me, all Fus-roh-dahíng at my poor Walter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just started a Dark Elf Battle Mage character, having a lot of fun with the College of Winterhold.

Also just completed the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood on my Khajiit Assassin character. The Nightingale armor is just awesome.

Are you on PC? I love the Nightingale armor but the way the tail clips is so annoying. I found this mod that makes the cape a scarf...

NbFBs.png

So much nicer.

ShinNL

Did I just get light smithing perks just so I could upgrade Chillrend? Oh yes, yes I did. Muhahaha.

This also gives me a good reason to start wandering around in Glass armor to train Light armor :D

Anyone obsessed with leveling as I am? Lv70 now. It's actually fun because you never get to use your full power (unless like 8 guys jump on you, then you switch), shooting weak arrows, swinging around a 2 handed sword with only 80 damage, board&sword even though I have dual wielding perks, never actually having max armor. Trolling Master difficulty.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Did I just get light smithing perks just so I could upgrade Chillrend? Oh yes, yes I did. Muhahaha.

This also gives me a good reason to start wandering around in Glass armor to train Light armor :D

Anyone obsessed with leveling as I am? Lv70 now. It's actually fun because you never get to use your full power (unless like 8 guys jump on you, then you switch), shooting weak arrows, swinging around a 2 handed sword with only 80 damage, board&sword even though I have dual wielding perks, never actually having max armor. Trolling Master difficulty.

As soon as the patch comes out I'm gonna do just that. I've been using light armor for the whole game, it's time to master Heavy Armor, do some Alchemy and maybe level up some magic skills. I like the fact that even though I'll probably end up really close to the max, I won't be a jack of all trades in every skill. Example, I haven't used a shield for the entire game and don't plan to. Dual wielding Dagger + Sword is just too much fun.

Atruvius

Just got my Platinum. Took about 110 hours.

When I got the Platinum I travelled to my house where emptied my whole inventory on to the floor. Only had Ebony Blade on me which I used to kill my wife. I then prooced to kill myself on the hands of the city guard. Then I deleted all the saves.

TTG

Anyone know where to find a quick cure for
vampirism
. I knew I should of GTFO as soon as I saw the first one, but I thought there was only a light chance of contracting it. BTW it's still in the early stages.

edit: Simple blessing did the trick, I guess I'll keep this save for later.

ShinNL

As soon as the patch comes out I'm gonna do just that. I've been using light armor for the whole game, it's time to master Heavy Armor, do some Alchemy and maybe level up some magic skills. I like the fact that even though I'll probably end up really close to the max, I won't be a jack of all trades in every skill. Example, I haven't used a shield for the entire game and don't plan to. Dual wielding Dagger + Sword is just too much fun.
HIGH FIVE BRO :D

Dagger + Sword is the only way to dual wield :D

Dat speed.

Anyone know where to find a quick cure for
vampirism
. I knew I should of GTFO as soon as I saw the first one, but I thought there was only a light chance of contracting it. BTW it's still in the early stages.

edit: Simple blessing did the trick, I guess I'll keep this save for later.
True story: when I contracted the 1st stage of vampirism I thought I was screwed and a (too) quick Google search let me to a way to cure it with a quest. I didn't know about stages. I was so upset about it I planned out and made a new char, but then I realized I could cure it without the obnoxious quest quite easily but since I was liking my new char so much I kept playing my new char and deleted my old one :D

Now I just carry some cure disease potions with me.

GhaleonEB

Yesterday I learned that using Unrelenting Force on a long, fully prepped dinner table yields exactly the result I hoped it would. That pleased me greatly.

Friggin Draugr deathlords and their shouts...ughhhhh

I once thought as you do. But now that I'm further into the game, I find I can go toe to toe with 'em without any problems. Ran into one over the weekend and freaked out for a moment, then started to systematically take him apart. The loot wasn't all that great afterwards either.

I've started to have more lock-ups now as well. After having the game freeze only once in the first 70 hours, I've now had it freeze multiple times in the past 5 or 6 hours. It froze twice yesterday in a single two hour play session. I should note however that I haven't applied the 1.2 patch and I'm waiting for the update this week before I do.

bj00rn_

Banned
Yesterday I learned that using Unrelenting Force on a long, fully prepped dinner table yields exactly the result I hoped it would. That pleased me greatly.

Yeah, haha, I too tried that yesterday in Windhelm, the Palace of the kings looks like a bomb went off.

Phreaker

I didn't, but I was a much higher level (25 maybe?), had a companion, and a flame antronch. I was also using my shout like mad. Really cool quest though and I am still using that amulet.

bengraven

Last night I had my mind blown:

You know how books flap open when you pick them up and carry them around?

So do skulls.

I've been doing this forever and it never, ever gets old.

I think some tables actually reset.

so just wanted to share one of my favorite moments I've had so far

at the end of the Civil War quest...

I sided with the Imperials btw, me and Captain Commander WhatsHisFace stormed Windhelm's Keep for our confrontation with Ulfric Stormcloak. I had long devised a plan for dispatching his bitch ass and I almost executed if perfectly.

So we walk up to the throne, Commander IForgotHisName laids the verbal smackdown to Ulfric who got pissed and sent his bodyguard at me, one swipe with my greatsword and his head was off and rolling around on the ground.

Cue some more tough talk where we told Ulfric he would be getting his shit pushed in, and as soon as the dialogue ended I immediately shouted a Level 3 Unrelenting Force while he was sitting on his throne. Figured it was only fitting for how he supposedly did in the High King out in Solitude.

Well the shout lifted him out of his seat, he did a cartwheel 5 feet in the air and landed hard to the left side of the throne. I waited for him to get up, but this bitch just laid there and the next dialogue sequence kicked in where I had the choice to kill him or not. He looked pathetic as his mouth was moving while he was laid out on the floor trying to beg for his life. My original plan was to behead him too, but he wouldn't rise so I had to settle for an overhand power swing that killed him in one thud.

To cap it off, I stripped him down to his briefs and propped him back up on the throne for all his mindless drones to set an example. He's still there on all my return visits, and I always make sure I wear his pimp ass clothes to rub it in when I talk to his exiled cronies that sit around his table all day now who are extra salty anytime I stop by check up on them :)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Level 3 here. I just can't believe how much better the dungeons are vs. Oblivion. I've visited two so far: Barrow's Keep and the one to the west of Whiterun that you go to for the Companions. Just amazing stuff!!

Level 3 here. I just can't believe how much better the dungeons are vs. Oblivion. I've visited two so far: Barrow's Keep and the one to the west of Whiterun that you go to for the Companions. Just amazing stuff!!

I just started over the weekend also. I tried to like Oblivion, so much. Skrim just plays and looks beautifully. Everything I disliked about Oblivion has been fixed.

ShinNL

Question about the Dark Brotherhood:

To kill Astrid or not during the first meeting? I love being a goody two shoes, but I'm reading on the internet that not joining means a lot less reward / quests / achievements. I felt justified killing that old hag abusing the children, but I'm not sure about joining the DB. Plus killing 1 random stranger out of 3 just because she's telling me to? She was like "You're not getting out of here unless I see a dead body" and I was like... could it be? *saves game* *hits Astrid 2 times* *Astrid dies* :D. But still... I kinda want quests :| What to do?

Esch

Banned
Question about the Dark Brotherhood:

To kill Astrid or not during the first meeting? I love being a goody two shoes, but I'm reading on the internet that not joining means a lot less reward / quests / achievements. I felt justified killing that old hag abusing the children, but I'm not sure about joining the DB. Plus killing 1 random stranger out of 3 just because she's telling me to? She was like "You're not getting out of here unless I see a dead body" and I was like... could it be? *saves game* *hits Astrid 2 times* *Astrid dies* :D. But still... I kinda want quests :| What to do?

i recommend you not concern yourself with moral decisions in games and play the questline because it's fun and one of the better parts in the game.

also if it helps the NPCs you're supposed to kill are all assholes

Top Bottom